Question about adoption

SAEG

Salam my brothers and sisters,
I am seeking truth and understanding about our guidance from Allah when it comes to the adoption of a child. I am single mother of two children born of wedlock. Acts of which I have prayed Allah to forgive me for even though I do not deserve his forgiveness for the sin of sex before marriage. These acts took place before I become Muslim and yet these acts eventually helped me to seek Allah and become closer to him and live my life in a way that would be right by Allah.
Sorry I became side tracked from my question but I thought it important to provide some background before asking my question. When it comes to adoption when I marry is my husband allowed to adopt my children? I know they will not take on his name for he is not there true father. I also know that is important that they are to know of there true fathers yet I read article that said when child is born from wedlock the child is complete cut away from the father meaning the child is to carry the mothers family name which my children do and have no connection with their biological father. This then makes them fatherless in the eyes of Islam correct. so then being fatherless would it be right for my husband or okay for my husband to adopt my children, even though I know they would still keep my families last name could he adopt them and it not be against Islam?
Please help or send me sight to go to and to learn more for right now I am in true need of truth in this matter as well as a better understanding. Inshaa Allah all that you share with me will help.

Shannon

saffanah

speak good or silent
Assalamu'alaikum
Sister, Allah is The Most Merciful and The Most Compassionate, Insha Allah Allah has forgiven you.
I have an aswer corcerning an adopted children, may it help.

Praise be to Allaah.

Adoption of children is of two types, forbidden and not forbidden.

The forbidden type means adopting a child in the sense that the child is considered to be the child of the adopting parent and subject to the rulings on children. This is not permitted. Allaah nullified it in the Qur’aan when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“…nor has He made your adopted sons your real sons…”

[al-Ahzaab 33:4]

The kind which is prescribed and may be mustahabb means being kind towards the child and giving him a righteous religious upbringing and sound direction, teaching him that which will benefit him in this world and the next. But it is not permitted to hand a child over except to one who is known to be trustworthy, religiously-committed and of good character, who will take care of the child’s interests. He should also be a local resident, so that he will not take the child away to a country where his presence may be a cause for his religious commitment being lost in the future. If these conditions are met in the case of both the child and the adopting parent, then it is OK to hand over a foundling whose parentage is not known. May Allaah preserve you

From Fataawa Samaahat al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (may Allaah have mercy on him)

So then,I think your children can not bear your husband's name because they aren't not his children, but their name are taken from your family name.
Maybe there is somebody here wants to add my explanation.

Hassan Khalid

Member of Islam:P
In the Name of God, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful

:wasalam:

First of all, a non-Muslim who embraces Islam should be assured of the promise of the Messenger of Allah who said, “Islam wipes out all of one’s past sins.”

So, althought adultery and producing a child out of wedlock is indeed a most enormous sin in Islam upon embracing Islam, you are absolved of all of your past sins, you carry over to Islam all of the good deeds you ever happened to do in the past: It is indeed a double mercy, which I am sure you understood(judging from the information you provided

:ma:Since you acknowledge that those children are yours, you are their mother and they are your children and if you want to take care of them, then I strongly recommend you to do that

As the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Muhammad Iqbal Nadvi, Imam of Calgary Mosque, Alberta, Canada, and Former Professor at King Saud University, Riyad, Saudi Arabia, said:

“The children born out of wedlock deserve all the care they need as children; thus you should provide them with all the requirements and elements to make them succeed in this life.

They are not responsible for the past deeds of their parents. However, the attribution of the child’s name to the father is based on the acceptance of the father. If he approves of it, then he/she can be named after him.”

I hope that this answered your important question. Please also see:

Children’s Rights: Islamic Perspective
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544784

Necessary Tips for Raising Children Islamically
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545244

q8penpals

Salam

One thing I would like to point out - many countries require a "legal" connection to a child in order to do certain things, like register them for school or seek medical treatment. Whether the child's name is changed or not is generally the choice of the adopting parent/s (I am talking in general, not in Islam).

What you need to look at is whether your husband would be able to get medical treatment for your children without your being present if he does NOT have a legal connection to your children. I think you may wish this, because if he is going to be the "acting" father, in many places, he needs to have a legal tie. Adoption can be a very broad category of how different families/countries/religions look at it.

I see adoption as someone taking full legal and ethical responsibility for a child. So check with your country - you may wish to consult a legal authority to find out for instance, what your husband can and cannot do if he doesn't adopt the children (in a legal manner).

Does this make sense, because it does in my head, but sometimes it is hard to type it out.

Lana