Question about Jesus. (pbuh)

Noah

Hi,

I have been learning about Islam for a while now, however I have a question about Jesus (pbuh).

Through reading a number of articles/ the Quran/ and speaking to my Muslim friends I am starting to believe more and more about Islam, especially the nature of Jesus. However, recently a question was put forward that made me doubt a few things I had learned and I was hoping (inshallah) someone could help.

Please do not take my questioning as an attack, I am onlyseeking the truth.

My question is this: what does Islam teach regarding the reasons why the Romans wanted to crucify Jesus?

In Christianity I was always told that the reason was, that Jesus claimed to be devine! And due to this claim of divinity, the Romans crucified him (or believed they had done as the Quran teaches).

However, as I understand niether the Quran or Islam in general states that Jesus ever claimed he was devine i.e God, he however, only claimed to be a prophet. If this view is taken, why did the Romans want Jesus to be crucified, when this same punishment was never prescribed to any other prophet!

If Jesus never claimed devinity, whereby the claim was only attributed to him after his death why did they want him dead?

Thanks.

Nur Sarah

:salam2: I do not have an answer but here is what my Islam grandmother has told me to put in understanding when I converted to Islam. She said “Jesus was only a prophet...but an important prophet as other who came before him and after him. Each prophet was given a task and Allah gave certain abilities to them to help them on the journey." it was confusing for me to grasp some issues in Islam when I was learning about it so things were explained to me in a way I could understand. However hopefully someone here can give a direct answer and correct if what I have said is wrong... thank you Nur Sarah

ripefig

:salam2:

I am sure that others will come up with more researched/accurate answers. However, many Prophets were threatened with death by various ways. The one thing they had in common was their message i.e. "to worship one God". Phrophet Moses A.S. was chased by the army of Pharoh whose intention was to kill him, Allah saved him, the people of Prophet Abraham threw him into the fire to kill him, Allah saved him, the people of Mecca plotted to kill Prophet Muhammad:saw: ,Allah saved him with just a spider's web. Likewise plots to kill Jesus A.S. occured for basically the same reasons (his message). When Prophet Muhammad:saw: went to Waraqa (an old wise man who had knowledge of the scriptures) to tell him about his encounter with angel Jibreel A.S., he told him that indeed he was the awaited messenger and anyone who came with that message would be turned out by their people. What happened to Phrophet Jesus was not something strange compared with what happened to other Phrophets.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Noah,

Well as brother ripefig said 'Iesa (Jesus pbuh) the son of Maryam as many other prophets that were sent to the Bani Israeel (the Jews) were being denied, as they were turning their back on the Scriptures that previous prophets were sent with (like Moses, David and others..pbu them all) and even killing some of them:

"Because of their breaking the covenant, and of their rejecting the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, and of their killing the Prophets unjustly, and of their saying: "Our hearts are wrapped (with coverings, i.e. we do not understand what the Messengers say)" - nay, Allah has set a seal upon their hearts because of their disbelief, so they believe not but a little." (4:155)

"So because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them, and made their hearts grow hard. They change the words from their (right) places and have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. And you will not cease to discover deceit in them, except a few of them. But forgive them, and overlook (their misdeeds). Verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (good-doers)." (5:13)
They used not to forbid one another from the Munkar (wrong, evil-doing, sins, polytheism, disbelief, etc.) which they committed. Vile indeed was what they used to do.(5:79)

Allah raised His Prophet Jesus among them so that he might show them several miracles and thereby guide them to the right path, but they rejected him, attempted to kill him, and even claimed that they had indeed killed him although they had not been able to do so:

And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allah," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of 'Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)]: But Allah raised him ['Iesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allah is Ever All-Powerful, All-Wise.(4:157-158)

So this shortly to show that 'Iesa (pbuh) was not the only one they were trying to kill simply because they followed their own lusts and were not listening to the Message and the guidance for life that the noble prophets were bringing to them from Allah (swt) may the Peace and blessings of Allah be upon all of them.

Noah

Thank you so much for your quick replies. They have really helped!

I did not think about prophets such as Moses, Abraham, etc. (pbu them all) and the fact that people tried to kill them too.

Coming from a Christian background I immediately think that the reason people wanted him dead was due to his divinity, not meerly due to his messeage.

You have all helped alot! If anyone has any hadeeth or additional surah on the matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Inshallah, I will learn more about Islam.

Thanks.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Noah,

There's so many Sura's that speak about 'Iesa (pbuh) in the Qur'an, here's some of them:

What Is The Word Of God About Jesus:

A. Regarding The Sonship Of Jesus:
“Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth about which they (vainly) dispute. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! When He determines a matter He only says to it "Be" and it is.”
Chapter 19, Verses 34-35

“They say: "(Allah) Most Gracious has begotten a son!" Indeed ye have put forth a thing most monstrous! At if the skies are ready to burst the earth to split asunder and the mountains to fall down in utter ruin. That they should invoke a son for (Allah) Most Gracious. For it is not consonant with the majesty of (Allah) Most Gracious that He should beget a son. Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must come to (Allah) Most Gracious as a servant.”
Chapter 19, Verses 88-93

“This similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam: He created him from dust then said to him: "Be" and he was.”
Chapter 3, Verse 59

“O people of the Book! commit no excesses in your religion: nor say of Allah aught but truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an Apostle of Allah and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a Spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His Apostles. Say not "Trinity": desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is One Allah: glory be to him: (for Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.”
Chapter 4, Verse 171

B. Regarding Jesus Being God:

“And behold! Allah will say "O Jesus the son of Mary! didst thou say unto men `worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah"? He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing Thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart though I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden. "Never said I to them aught except what Thou didst command me to say to wit `Worship Allah my Lord and your Lord'; and I was a witness over them whilst I dwelt amongst them; when Thou didst take me up thou wast the Watcher over
them and Thou art a Witness to all things.” Chapter 5, Verses 116-117

C. Regarding Crucifixion Of Jesus

“That they rejected faith: that they uttered against Mary a grave false charge. That they said (in boast) "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary the Apostle of Allah"; but they killed him not nor crucified him but so it was made to appear to them and those who differ therein are full of doubts with no (certain) knowledge but only conjecture to follow for of a surety they killed him not. Nay Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power Wise. And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgment He will be a witness against them.”
Chapter 4, Verses 156-159

All Quranic quotations have been taken from the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation of “The Meaning of the Holy Qur’an”, published by Amana Corporation, Brentwood, Maryland, USA, 1993

mohd fazli

Harun Yahya website

Hello Noah,

I'm pleased of your intention to learn about Islam. Being new, i would urge you to visit Harun Yahya website where there's a lot of interesting videos & information which are useful to you & all other Muslims. I'm sure you will be amazed at how the truth have been uncovered.....especially videos on "Miracles of Quran". Please watch them... u've got nothing to lose...really. May Allah guide you to the right path... Insyaallah.

Salam.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello again Noah,

I notice that you are willing to find the truth with your heart, and insha'Allah you will so soon.

At any time you feel that Islam is the way you want to live you life according to, I suggest you that there's no need to delay your entering Islam fully not just with your heart:

How to become a muslim

My kind regards to you.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

Br. Brandon mentioned this verse from the bible somewhere about jesus and his second coming.

Mat 7:15,22-23 (Wey) "Beware of the false teachers--men who come to you in sheep's fleeces, but beneath that disguise they are ravenous wolves... Many will say to me on that day, 'Master, Master, have we not prophesied in Thy name, and in Thy name expelled demons, and in Thy name performed many mighty works?' And then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you: begone from me, you doers of wickedness.'"

While they should of been doing things for the sake of Allah, they over glorified Jesus and changed his status to that of God.

:wasalam:

mucad_06

THE REASON IS......

The reason is because all the romans and or the jews used to kill every propthet because the prophets come out with something that is true. They were all agianst the idols that they used to worship and even more they used to destroy it. Becuase of that reason they decide to kill him and keep worshiping their idols.
i have a question and an answer for you and the question is that at the time of jesus (PBUH) their were no christians it was only jews and islam which believed and followed jesus as a prophet. Have you at the time of when you were christian asked yourself where did christianity came from if there were only jews and islam? that tells you that after jesus was ascended to the heavens a guy came with this religion and said that jesus is god son.
why would god have babies with his creation?
god has no son, doughters, mom, father, and wife. he is the only true god and there nothing to be worshiped except allah.
MAY ALLAH BLESS YOUR SOUL SALLAAMA ALAYKUM.

seekingtruth2

salaam,
I would like to point out that in the bible of the christians Jesus (pbuh) also never claimed to be divine! He (pbuh) always called himself the son of man NEVER the son of God! According to the Bible it was the Jews who wanted him crucified because they felt him (pbuh) to be a threat to their ways of religion and their power over the people! They were under Roman rule at that time and were granted for their holiday (passover) the right to ask for 1 person to be executed for a crime commited against Jewish law (not Roman law!) and they chose Jesus (pbuh)... they could not find an actuall crime because he never did anything against the law so they made one up.... they said he commited heresy by calling himself the son of God (which he never did!) so that they could have him executed........ This is in the Bible for you to read and I am so very sorry that I do not have chapter and verse for you at this time but I will find it for you if you would like..... the Quran only confirms this and tells us the whole story of this matter and the whole truth!

may Allah give you knowledge and increase your faith and show to you the truth!
Fatima