question about photographs

Akilah

Assalam Alaikum,

Okay so I'm a little bit confused and need some clarification. I was under the impression from some hadiths that I read and what I have been told by some people that pictures are not allowed in Islam. I myself have understood this to be that we are not allowed to make pictures of anything that has life (ie. draw pictures of people, animals etc), but that photographs are allowed, since you are not creating something, but taking a picture of something that Allah has created. But the problem is that now I am confused as to whether or not photographs (with a camera) are allowed, because I was at an Islamic lecture recently and one of the Imam's there who was speaking requested that no one take any photographs or camera phone pictures of him (he didn't say why, he just asked that the audience respect his wishes)....soooo, are photographs haram or is it just pictures that we draw/paint/statues of alive creations of Allah?

Jazakallah for your answers

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam,

With regards to taking photos of people, this is matter of opinion where some scholars say it is Ok and others do not. Likewise for video and TV.

Wasalam

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Video & TV: Except where nudity etc. is involved where all say that is NOT allowed for obvious reasons.

SeekerofTruth

:salam2:
Sorry to bring this up again,but as someone studying Islaam I was wondering the same things about the rulings on Pictures..I know that it is stated that it is haraam to make pictures and to have pictures in ones home(I hope I have that right).
So having photos that are made by a camera or video mechanism is okay????Im confused,because if we are not to have photos of living things in our homes then wouldnt that include pictures and vedios,tv etc(which are moving images/photos) because Angels will not enter our homes..

Can someone show me all the Quranic and Sunnah or a link to those that mention these things.

Peace
Jerry

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaiukum,

It is the understanding of the majority of Scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah Wal Jamaat that all Ahadeeth referring to pictures actually refer to paintings/statues/sculptures as this is what was prevalent in the time of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)

When the Camera was invented it became a matter of ijtehad i.e. some scholars accept the same injunctions for photographs as stated for pictures i.e. they regard Photographs to be the same as painted paintings/statues/sculptures while others think otherwise so this is a matter of difference of opinion as pointed about by Br Mabsoot

Personally I think we should ABSOLUTELY stay away from paintings/statues/sculptures as they are established to be HARAM as they were around in the time of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam); about Photography, TV, Video, DVD please refer to the scholar that you normally follow and seek advice and understand that both opinions of prohibitions/permissibility exist

SeekerofTruth

Asslamo Allaiukum,

It is the understanding of the majority of Scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah Wal Jamaat that all Ahadeeth referring to pictures actually refer to paintings/statues/sculptures as this is what was prevalent in the time of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)

When the Camera was invented it became a matter of ijtehad i.e. some scholars accept the same injunctions for photographs as stated for pictures i.e. they regard Photographs to be the same as painted paintings/statues/sculptures while others think otherwise so this is a matter of difference of opinion as pointed about by Br Mabsoot

Personally I think we should ABSOLUTELY stay away from paintings/statues/sculptures as they are established to be HARAM as they were around in the time of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam); about Photography, TV, Video, DVD please refer to the scholar that you normally follow and seek advice and understand that both opinions of prohibitions/permissibility exist

:salam2:
Thank you Globalpeace for the reply...So there is no clear view or requirements concerning Photgraphs or even TV,Video/DVD use? So does that mean as with what some say about other things questionable to avoid them all? Sorry seems like I read somewhere that video/dvd and tv were only moving pictures and should be avoided..
Because,we are judged by our own deeds,not of others.

And I am not Muslim,I am studying on my own and trying to learn about Islaam so I do not have a scholar/teacher.Nor is there a Masjid in my area.

Peace
Jerry

Lihamzi

Here are some Hadist i took from Islamicity.com about Pictures

Here are some Hadist i took from Islamicity.com about Pictures

Narrated Ibn 'Umar

The Prophet said, "The painters of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, 'Make alive whatyou have created."

Narrated Aisha

Allah's Apostle said, "The painter of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, Make alive what you have created.' "

Interpretation of Dreams - - - -

Narrated Ibn Abbas

The Prophet said, "Whoever claims to have seen a dream which he did not see, will be ordered to make a knot between two barley grains which he will not be able to do; and if somebody listens to the talk of some people who do not like him (to listen) or they run away from him, then molten lead will be poured into his ears on the Day of Resurrection; and whoever makes a picture, will be punished on the Dayof Resurrection and will be ordered to put a soul in that picture, which he will not be able to do."

Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab) - - - -

Narrated 'Aisha

The Prophet entered upon me while there was a curtain having pictures (of animals) in the house. His face got red with anger, and then he got hold of the curtain and tore it into pieces. The Prophet said, "Such people as paint these pictures will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection ."

Dress - - - -

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas

I heard Muhammad saying, "Whoever makes a picture in this world will be asked to put life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do so."

Dress - - - -

Narrated Abu Juhaifa

that he had bought a slave whose profession was cupping. The Prophetforbade taking the price of blood and the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and cursed the one who took or gave (Riba') usury, and the lady who tattooed others or got herself tattooed, and the picture-maker.

Narrated 'Aisha

(the wife of the Prophet)

I bought a cushion having pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he stopped at the gate and did not enter. I noticed the signs of hatred (for that) on his face! I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I turn to Allah and His Apostle in repentance! What sin have I committed?" He said, "What about this cushion?" I said, 'I bought it for you to sit on and recline on." Allah's Apostle said, "The makers of these pictures will be punished (severely) on the Day of Resurrection and itwill be said to them, 'Make alive what you have created.'" He added, "Angels do not enter a house in which there are pictures."

Dress - - - -

Narrated Salim's father

Once Gabriel promised to visit the Prophet but he delayed and the Prophet got worried about that. At last he came out and found Gabriel and complained to him of his grief (for his delay). Gabriel said to him, "We do not enter a place in which there is a picture or a dog."

Narrated Anas

Aisha had a thick curtain (having pictures on it) and she screened the side of her i house with it. The Prophet said to her, "Remove it from my sight, for its pictures are still coming to my mind in my prayers."

Narrated Abu Talha

Allah's Apostle said, "Angels (of mercy) do not enter a house where there are pictures.'" The sub-narrator Busr added: "Then Zaid fell illand we paid him a visit. Behold! There was, hanging at his door, a curtain decorated with a picture. I said to 'Ubaidullah Al-Khaulani, the step son of Maimuna, the wife of the Prophet , "Didn't Zaid tell us about the picture the day before yesterday?" 'Ubaidullah said, "Didn't you hear him saying: 'except a design in a garment'?"

ventirr

:salam2: god created mankind..and god blessed man with creativty,the most beautiful thing,and gave him a sense of colour,and the ability to create (not somethin living ofcourse within mortal boundaries) so now i wonder if god gave us such abilities to appreciate colours and art,then why is it forbidden and cast as such a sin? i read the hadith by the prophet (pbuh) and i can see the point that its forbidden to idolise something and having pictures to stare at maybe a form of doing so..but if its works of art then where's the harm.after all islam is mainly about one's intentions.i dont want to defy god by having famiyl photos in the house.the prophet (pbuh) didnt wish to be paintedm or sculpted because in this time we'd look at his photo or painting in times of need instead of appreciating god and faith and i understand that as well. any further help brothers and sisters?

:hearts: