Question about Quran

B.H.

I have a person I know telling me that the Quran is poor literary quality and written by someone who could not even form sentences correctly.

He said all of the words found in English translations that are in brackets [....] or parentheses (......) really are not in Arabic but had to be put there or else the rest of the sentence would not even be a sentence.

What do you all have ot say?

Another objection he stated is that lots of times commentary is included in a Quran translation in such a way as to make it look like it is in the actual text itself, but it is not it is just commentary.

iloveislam78

HI

Ive heard these ramblings before, i dont think i am the best person to answer your question fully, but i'll take the common sense approach, was your friend alive when the quran was revealed?? probably not, firstly the linguistic significance of the Qur'an can be better understood within its pre-Islamic context. The Arabic language in the time of the prophet was much more complex in comparision to modern day classical arabic, instead of me becoming the rambler see below i hope this link will help you form an excellent learned argument!! and for now, i got the qoute below for you!!. tc

And if you are in doubt as to what we have revealed, then produce a sura like unto it. (2: 23) [18]

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/Arabic.htm

a_stranger

:82 Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah, they would surely have found therein Much discrepancy.

47:24 Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them?

3:138 Here is a plain statement to men, a guidance and instruction to those who fear Allah.

Quran

30:59 In this way does God seal the hearts of those who do not [want to] know [the truth].

40:35 (Asad) such as would call God’s messages in question without having any evidence therefor: [a sin] exceedingly loathsome in the sight of God and of those who have attained to faith. It is in this way that God sets a seal on every arrogant, self-exalting heart.”

Arrogance locks hearts and blind them then they can`t see the truth ...to understand Quran man should wash his hearts from covers of arrogance and false pride and humble himself to the truth then the light of quran will shine so brigh lightening hearts and miinds.

Talat

:salam2:
a simple answer to your question is that for those people who read and understand arabic there is no need for brackets ,and brother ayman has explanied it well.

B.H.

:salam2:
a simple answer to your question is that for those people who read and understand arabic there is no need for brackets ,and brother ayman has explanied it well.

Thanks brothers and sisters for your replies.

I figure to people who speak Arabic English is an overly wordy language. It takes too many words to make a point compared to other languages.

An Arabic speaker would understand the Quran just fine because that is how he or she was brought up how to speak. My aquaintence is wrong because the Arabic is not inferior nor the Quran poor quality writing, just different than what he is used to.

That is what I will say to him.

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1) What can an individual state, except that this pagan is a fool. The language of the Qur'an is Arabic and not English. I find it very easy to read and comprehend. Sometimes in the English translations, the translators use bracketed phrases to their discretion because they believe it may help the English reader. Most of these translations, such as Yusuf Ali are geared toward non-Muslims, so the translator feels perhaps filling in a bit more information may be helpful to the reader that is completely ignorant of Islamic history, or may be a bit low on the intellect level, because some of the brackets are just extra and are not really necessary. The Qur’an has its own style. The style of the recitation is rhythmic, thereby making it easier to memorize. The revelation is not meant to be read like a story book, beginning with “once upon a time” and continuing chronologically up to the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). It appears that the Almighty saw the chronological order type of book as something very boring to read, which is the case as you see with the books of the christians and jews.

2) Human beings differ amongst themselves in their appreciation for literature. Some individuals are gifted with an excellent understanding of great literature, as well as their own ability to produce fine poetry, writing, and are well versed in speech, and obviously others are not. This is the reason why everyone is not an acclaimed author, poet, or speech writer.

3) Lets use the English work of Shakespeare as an example. Shakespeare's plays were popular among his people, not necessarily for their plots, but because of their fine usage of Classical English. Individuals living during Shakespeare's time, had an enormous appreciation for the language of Shakespeare's plays. They could understand and comprehend not only the usage of the English language, but also importantly, the allusions being made within the plays, sometimes to Greek mythology, etc. All of that fit within the context of the time period and culture. However, in modern times, Classical English has become obsolete and replaced by a far more different modern English language. It is also the case that the people living in modern times have a different culture within the land of Shakespeare, but also in non-English speaking lands and they have different levels of education and understanding than the individuals that lived in Shakespeare’s land and time period. Shakespeare’s plays have become widespread and translated into various languages. What the English in the past considered great writing, may not be the case for someone ignorant of Classical English and ignorant of the knowledge required to truly understand Shakespeare’s plays.

In my speech course, during my university studies, my speech professor had said that he found the works of Shakespeare intolerable, unable to be read or comprehended. However, modern English language scholars have stated that Shakespeare’s work is among the finest examples of English literature. Who is to be believed, my professor or the English scholars? My professor’s first language is modern English, but he cannot speak or comprehend Classical English nor does he have much of any knowledge about the allusions that are made in the plays, such as to Greek gods of mythology, nor is he good at understanding metaphors, similies, or parables. Apparently, my professor likes simple writing, straight to the point and direct. A student gave the professor a book of one of Shakespeare’s plays that was washed down so it could be understood in modern English and had extensive commentary explaining the meaning behind the various similies, metaphors, and allusions that are used in the play and also things pertaining to the way of life and culture of the English during that time period. After reading that book, the speech professor said that he enjoyed the work of Shakespeare a great deal. Obviously, there is no problem with the writing of Shakespeare, but my professor’s understanding.

Now, the Qur’an has been revealed with a very easy format. The Almighty is concerned with simply explaining to mankind who their Creator is, telling them about the purpose of life (the trial of this world), about Resurrection and Judgment, and about an eventual outcome in either Heaven or Hell for eternity. These various topics are repeated constantly throughout the recital, using various parables, similes, and examples. There are of course other things, but this is the meat of the revelation. The Creator is not concerned with writing a history book of the events of the life of mankind on the Earth, nor a biology text explaining the various animals or plant life on the Earth, etc. All of that would have taken volumes upon volumes and no person would take the time to read any of that long-winded talk. This is the reason most christians [over 60 bible books] and jews never read their books. The Almighty is only concerned with revealing a short book, that is easy to memorize, entertaining to read, and only the most basic information required to learn in order to gain salvation and be saved from entering Hell.

The language is flowery from beginning to end. The translations never embody the same flowery speech, the translators’ are simply concerned with explaining the meanings of the verses. This is the reason they use many brackets and extensive commentary at times. Because that is the purpose of a translation, to simply translate the meaning and not word for word or try to mimic the flowery Arabic discourse in a foreign language.

When attending literary courses, I found that every book is this way. The reader needs commentary and a background understanding of the book, knowledge of the time period, explanation of the various similes and metaphors that are used, etc. This is the way it is with every good piece of literature. Any one that has taken a university course in literature and was forced to write an extensive essay analyzing some point in the literature, has had to undergo the task of referring to other articles, teacher notes and explanations, to further understand and explain the literary work.

An individual that has never learned about Islam, can read the Qur’an and get a basic understanding of the religion. This is the reason why you see individuals converting to Islam, having only read the Qur’an and they are not learned in Islamic history, they do not know when the verses were revealed, or have an understanding of some of the parables, etc. As long as the person knows the meat of it, that is enough to gain salvation. Allah (The Exalted) will not ask a person on the Day of Judgment why they did not understand a parable in the Qur’an or some simile that was used. As long as their Beliefs are correct and they have the good deeds, they may gain salvation by the Mercy of Allah. The flowery speech is there because of the greatness in Allah’s Word, and for the appreciation of very clever minded persons. If an individual is driven to learn everything about the Qur’an. This is commendable. In order to truly learn the Qur’an, a person must learn Classical Arabic (and obtain a dictionary of Classical Arabic), read the biography of the life of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), read the commentary by Ibn Kathir (may Allah have mercy on him), in which he explains when the verses were revealed and their meanings.

*What I have noticed is that this type of foolish criticism comes particularly from individuals belonging to the christian religion. It is amazing that these fools criticize the Qur'an, when their own book is based upon the Greek language, which is clearly not a Semitic language, and Isa (Jesus) (peace be upon him) was a semite. And the Almighty did not reveal the book of Isa (Jesus) (peace be upon him) in Greek! Of the books known, they were revealed in Semitic languages. It is also the case that the modern bible is based upon an old bible, which is considered the oldest available bible, in the original Greek language, and that is nothing more than torn apart pieces of paper and half pages put together! Where in the world did they get the complete bible pages they have in languages such as English, when the oldest Greek bible is torn into pieces and not complete! Obviously, the English bibles are written by the opinions and hands of men. Take a look at the christians' oldest bible, large parts of it are missing, pages covered with candle wax, parts of pages in which the ink has faded away, etc. These are the bible books they are using for their translations!:

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx and take a look at this other page http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?book=1&chapter=24&lid=en&side=r&zoomSlider=0. Browse around the site, the entire "oldest bible" is simply torn into shreds. [Photograph of the original manuscript appears in the window on the left.]

The christians' call the bible the "Word of God," when most of its words are actually missing. This is what they are basing their salvation upon, torn apart pieces of paper with incomplete books. A bible with no credibility and no validity. Not to mention that the bible is a poor literary work, no wonder no Greek language or English scholar has considered the bible of any value, not on the same level of either the writings of the famous Greek poets such as Homer, nor the English works of Shakespeare.

*Also see the threads "Learning Islam (LI)" by clicking on my username and going to "Statistics" and then "Threads started by..."

See also:

1) http://thedeenshow.com/show.php?action=guest&id=3
2) http://www.islamreligion.com/
3) Try the Nouman Ali Khan courses on the Qur'an if you wish to have a better understanding of the Qur'an: http://bayyinah.com/

*The reader may copy this text and keep it on a word document, so next time an ignorant pagan babbles nonsense about the Qur'an, you may respond appropriately. Save the website with the "oldest bible" in the original Greek language and pass it to the ignorant christians, and let them take shame in their religion and the fact that they have been deceived. The overwhelming majority of them are too ignorant to know their bible was originally written in Greek anyway.

And Allah Knows Best.

Latifabonu

Alhamdulillah
Thanks brothers and sisters for your replies.

I figure to people who speak Arabic English is an overly wordy language. It takes too many words to make a point compared to other languages.

An Arabic speaker would understand the Quran just fine because that is how he or she was brought up how to speak. My aquaintence is wrong because the Arabic is not inferior nor the Quran poor quality writing, just different than what he is used to.

That is what I will say to him.

its will be good answer i think so

kawnayeen

How can a person justify the beauty of Al-Quran by reading the translation??Tell him to listen the reciation of Al-Quran if he doesn't know arabic.

weakslave

:jazaak: brother miq1. I can also add the following:

The Quraan is the word of Allaah. Allaah spoke these words to Jibreel who spoke them to Muhammad :saw:

The person saying these things to you has little to no knowledge of the arabic language. This much is quite clear.

The Quraan was revealed in a time that the level of arabic comprehension was at its highest. This is a well known fact, and no scholar will testify to there being a more knowledgeable group of people in the arabic language than in that time, the time of the Messenger of Allaah :saw:. The people there seemingly reached perfection in expression, until the Quraan was revealed and it blew everyone away with it's complex language, beautiful composition, ease of memorization, minimalistic and perfectly placed vocabulary.

Did you know that before the emigration to Al-Madinah Quraish used to sell ear plugs to those entering Makkah, and they would warn them that there is a magician who will make them go crazy if they listen to his words? Is that because the Quraan, Astaghfirullaah, was written by amateurs and people ignorant of the language?

As an aside, I once heard the bible being recited in Arabic. At first I couldn't figure out what the heck the man was going on about, then I asked and they told me he was reading from the bible. I literally burst out laughing, but then I stopped because I didn't want to offend anyone's religion.

Comparing the Quraan to any other arabic literature is impossible. The Quraan was one of the miracles of the Prophet :saw:, and to this day it is the single greatest miracle that humanity has witnessed.

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ​
And We have certainly made the Qur’an easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
A parrot can make sounds, but it can not speak. Speaking is the spitting off of the tongue sounds with meaning. I once heard a doctor parrot what Karl Marx had said about religion being the opiate of the people. I asked him what did he prescribe for people in pain.

Al Qur'an is written in one of the most precise languages of the world. It is so complex that one could spend a lifetime memorizing it and studying it content and never even get to the deep parts. When ever a language is translated into another language sometimes it is necessary to add words to clarify the meaning.

I am Frank.

Anna Frank.

[am]

Plus the structure of the Semitic Language is vastly different from English and other Germanic and Romantic Languages. and not just in the direction in which it is written.