question about the Abaya

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
:salam2: I have a question regarding islamic dress for women. If a lady's dress conforms to islamic principles such as being loose, thick and covering all the required parts of the body etc, must she in addition to this wear the abaya also. Can someone with knowledge shed some light as to if the abaya is necessary if the clothing conforms to islamic principles.

Jazzak Allah Khayran

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

I have read thoroughly into this subject as I am a hijabi of course and wanted to know what is for me and what is unto me regarding hijab...

Many shaikhs recommend that a hijabi bears the basic and fundamental *conditions of hijab* which are already known and determined...

From there..the hijabi has to pick the hijab which makes her fit in with the rest of the hijabis in the community so she does not bring attention and "fame" to herself (because the core principle of hijab is to AVOID ATTENTION!)...and this is not to say if she sees a hijabi with a mini-skirt and leggings under it and that whole hoo-ha..she goes and imitates *that*..but for example...

If I were to go live in Saudi Arabia..if I walk around with a skirt..a loose top..and a scarf..or I even wear a *colored jilbab*..I will *definitely* turn heads and have attention focused on me!..it doesn't matter that I am wearing a *jilbab* or very *loose clothing*..I WILL be the center of attention of people and the members of The Council of Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil which walk around malls and the like :)..because the women there wear the black abaya over their clothes...and the huge majority of women there also cover their faces (mashallah!)..so if I wear an abaya and keep my face uncovered..that will also bring attention to me a whole lot!..so then I will be defeating the customed or common type of hijab in that region of the world!

In my small community here in the U.S. however...if I were to wear the black abaya..I would bring attention to myself..while if I wear a colorful jilbab or an outfit conforming to hijab conditions..I will go unnoticed for the *very* most part :)..because the jilbab will look like a modest dress..and the outfit will look like an ordinary modest outfit..if I were to cover my face..which a couple of sisters do..I will literally become the talk of town..there was a niqabi here a few years back..EVERYONE in town (and it's a small one!) knew her as the *lady with the black burqa*..even the Muslims stared at her!..so though she was sticking to the full hijab she was actually defeating the condition of *avoiding attention*

If wearing a jilbab or an abaya..the sister needs to maintain modesty still by wearing a generally modest outfit..because sobhanallah..her abaya might rip..she might have to take it off for an emergency or something..that way she won't embarrass herself or show that which is meant to be covered anyway..

So you see akhi..the issue here varies *in detail* from one area to another but the principles or *conditions of hijab* remain the same..and of course..rasulullah (saaws) had said *la dharar wala dhiraar*..so a sister needs to know what's unto her Sharia wise regarding hijab..and then customize matters from there :)

I hope I answered your question

:wasalam:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

I have read thoroughly into this subject as I am a hijabi of course and wanted to know what is for me and what is unto me regarding hijab...

Many shaikhs recommend that a hijabi bears the basic and fundamental *conditions of hijab* which are already known and determined...

From there..the hijabi has to pick the hijab which makes her fit in with the rest of the hijabis in the community so she does not bring attention and "fame" to herself (because the core principle of hijab is to AVOID ATTENTION!)...and this is not to say if she sees a hijabi with a mini-skirt and leggings under it and that whole hoo-ha..she goes and imitates *that*..but for example...

If I were to go live in Saudi Arabia..if I walk around with a skirt..a loose top..and a scarf..or I even wear a *colored jilbab*..I will *definitely* turn heads and have attention focused on me!..it doesn't matter that I am wearing a *jilbab* or very *loose clothing*..I WILL be the center of attention of people and the members of The Council of Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil which walk around malls and the like :)..because the women there wear the black abaya over their clothes...and the huge majority of women there also cover their faces (mashallah!)..so if I wear an abaya and keep my face uncovered..that will also bring attention to me a whole lot!..so then I will be defeating the customed or common type of hijab in that region of the world!

In my small community here in the U.S. however...if I were to wear the black abaya..I would bring attention to myself..while if I wear a colorful jilbab or an outfit conforming to hijab conditions..I will go unnoticed for the *very* most part :)..because the jilbab will look like a modest dress..and the outfit will look like an ordinary modest outfit..if I were to cover my face..which a couple of sisters..I will literally become the talk of town..there was a niqabi here a few years back..EVERYONE in town (and it's a small one!) knew her as the *lady with the black burqa*..even the Muslims stared at her!..so though she was sticking to the full hijab she was actually defeating the condition of *avoiding attention*

If wearing a jilbab or an abaya..the sister needs to maintain modesty still..because sobhanallah..her abaya might rip..she might have to take it off for an emergency or something..that way she won't embarrass herself or show that which is meant to be covered anyway..

hmm you make a good point sis.

Theres a basis for wearing black in the Sunnah which is why I prefer it. I honestly dont feel comfortable in particulalry bright colours which is the general trend of hijaabis.

Also, who sets the trend in the community :) ..? Instead of conforming to the ''colours trend'' someone has to set a new trend at some point by wearing simple colours, why not? And then everyone might copy the simple colours or 'black abayah' trend :cool:

LoveIslam123

salam aleikum
I prefer to wear abaya or jilbab over my clothes ,because I believe that Allah says so in the Quran that the women should wear overgarment over their clothes and from hadiths we can see that women who didnt have an overgarment didnt even go outside..
im not giving fatwa its my personal opinion ...

In the Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) says:

Ya ayyuha an-Nabiyy qul li azwajika wa banatika wa nisa al-mu'minin yudnina
alayhinna min jalabib hinna; dhalika adna an yu'rafna fa laa yu'dhayn. Wa
kana Allahu Ghafur Rahim

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the
faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they
will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

The word "jalabib" is the plural of "jilbab". Clearly, this ayah states a
command for Muslim women to wear a garment which Allah SWT has called
"jilbab".

Beyond this, the hadiths record how the sahabiyat (rAa) went about obeying
Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 when it was revealed:

Sunan Abu Dawud Book 32 #4090. Narrated Umm Salama, Umm al-Mu'minin: When
the verse, "That they should draw their jalabib close around them" was
revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads
by wearing jalabib.

In case there is any confusion about how the Muslim sister is supposed to go
about obeying Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59, this hadith shows that the correct way
to obey it is to wear the garment called "jilbab", since that is what the
sahabiyat (rAa) did. Note that they did not hesitate or delay or make
excuses: when they were told by Allah SWT to wear the garment called
"jilbab", they did, right away.

And there is more even than this. Some of the women remained in seclusion
and never went out so that they did not own the garment called "jilbab".
The hadiths record that the Prophet (sAas) commanded the women to come out for
the Eid gathering, and what he said about the issue of the garment called
"jilbab":

Sahih Bukhari Book 8 #347. Narrated Umm Atiyya: We were ordered to bring out
our menstruating women and screened women to the religious gatherings and
invocation of the Muslims on the two Eid festivals. These menstruating women
were to keep away from the musalla. A woman asked, "O Messenger of Allah!
What about one who does not have a jilbab?". He said, "Let her borrow the
jilbab of her companion".

Please sisters note that some of the women even stayed home and did not go out because they did not have a jilbab ..

waaleikum salam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
hmm you make a good point sis.

Theres a basis for wearing black in the Sunnah which is why I prefer it. I honestly dont feel comfortable in particulalry bright colours which is the general trend of hijaabis.

Also, who sets the trend in the community :) ..? Instead of conforming to the ''colours trend'' someone has to set a new trend at some point by wearing simple colours, why not? And then everyone might copy the simple colours or 'black abayah' trend :cool:

It is not so much *the trend* that is being followed or encouraged..it is the *commonality*..and it is not about the *colors* either...it is about what is *overall rare* and if seen around will provoke *2nd looks*...the point behind sticking to what is *common* (but yet *correct* Islamically!) is to avoid bringing attention to one's self...*bright colors* whether they are in Abaya & Jilbab societies or in modest-outfit societies..are a no-no for a hijabi as it will defeat what she attempted to serve in the first place *blend in & avoid attention* and thus defeat a fundamental condition of hijab...that's where the shaikhs are coming from with their "recommendation" :)..which makes total sense to me

Btw..you make a good point at the end as well..but with how some women dress nowa days..I would be happy to just see a sister conforming to what fits the context of *modesty*...I just think to myself *well at least she has it in her*...*sigh* :(

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
^ I agree with you completely.

So another tangent to this is, correct me if im wrong, say for example, proper hijaab wasn't common at all in some places, then a hijaabi would have no option other than to be 'drawing attention' to herself through wearing something that qualifies as hijaab, in such cases, the hijaabi cant win really?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
^ I agree with you completely.

So another tangent to this is, correct me if im wrong, say for example, proper hijaab wasn't common at all in some places, then a hijaabi would have no option other than to be 'drawing attention' to herself through wearing something that qualifies as hijaab, in such cases, the hijaabi cant win really?

In that case it becomes her personal-jihad in keeping Allah's commandments (and her way into *da'awa*)...

In the scenario you mentioned..the Islamic concept of *no obedience of man in the disobedience of The Creator* would come into play...and surely a devout Muslim sister would know what would be best for her and what would please her Creator

Other than that...like I said..it would be the sister's personal-jihad to wear it in that society..and it can be her form of da'awa..and the ajer for it could be great with Allah's will..should she be patient and enduring in the face of annoyances and such :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I removed the segment about taking off the hijab under the EXTREME OF CASES..because I did not mention a name of a scholar in specific..and thought it would be best to put it back when I do have a name of one and better with a fatwa showing what I said...and I found two...

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/45672/خلع الحجاب

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/69432/خلع الحجاب

Shaikh Al-Munajjid is one of the scholars who say in the EXTREME OF EXTREMES hijab can be taken off..

I hope you (sister al-fajr) benefit from it..I wanted to make my information more solid because I mentioned a very critical thing :)

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
salam aleikum
I prefer to wear abaya or jilbab over my clothes ,because I believe that Allah says so in the Quran that the women should wear overgarment over their clothes and from hadiths we can see that women who didnt have an overgarment didnt even go outside..
im not giving fatwa its my personal opinion ...

In the Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) says:

Ya ayyuha an-Nabiyy qul li azwajika wa banatika wa nisa al-mu'minin yudnina
alayhinna min jalabib hinna; dhalika adna an yu'rafna fa laa yu'dhayn. Wa
kana Allahu Ghafur Rahim

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the
faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they
will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

The word "jalabib" is the plural of "jilbab". Clearly, this ayah states a
command for Muslim women to wear a garment which Allah SWT has called
"jilbab".

Beyond this, the hadiths record how the sahabiyat (rAa) went about obeying
Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 when it was revealed:

Sunan Abu Dawud Book 32 #4090. Narrated Umm Salama, Umm al-Mu'minin: When
the verse, "That they should draw their jalabib close around them" was
revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads
by wearing jalabib.

In case there is any confusion about how the Muslim sister is supposed to go
about obeying Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59, this hadith shows that the correct way
to obey it is to wear the garment called "jilbab", since that is what the
sahabiyat (rAa) did. Note that they did not hesitate or delay or make
excuses: when they were told by Allah SWT to wear the garment called
"jilbab", they did, right away.

And there is more even than this. Some of the women remained in seclusion
and never went out so that they did not own the garment called "jilbab".
The hadiths record that the Prophet (sAas) commanded the women to come out for
the Eid gathering, and what he said about the issue of the garment called
"jilbab":

Sahih Bukhari Book 8 #347. Narrated Umm Atiyya: We were ordered to bring out
our menstruating women and screened women to the religious gatherings and
invocation of the Muslims on the two Eid festivals. These menstruating women
were to keep away from the musalla. A woman asked, "O Messenger of Allah!
What about one who does not have a jilbab?". He said, "Let her borrow the
jilbab of her companion".

Please sisters note that some of the women even stayed home and did not go out because they did not have a jilbab ..

waaleikum salam

This is what is confusing, I see alot of Muslims from different countries but their Hijab/Jilbabs is different. which ONE is the RIGHT one, how do I know? I know the outfit has to be lose, not transparent, it's not ONE that looks like a man's outfit and such but what I am asking is that like Muslimah86 took an example of Saudi Arebia they all wear Abaya but then you see Muslims from Somalia and they wear Jilbab which confuses me Alot because I dont know which one the Sahabas wore (the Abaya or the jilbab that Somalis usually wear). I sometimes wear Abaya but I usually I wear skirt, lose top, and Khimar which is fine looking at the Creteria of Hijab itself but still out of these THREE different Hijabs which ONE is more PLEASING to Allah??? Is the Jilbab you are talking about the same as the Abaya?? I dont know the difference between HIJAB and JILBAB...it would be nice if you shed some LIGHT on this.
JazakaAllah khairan for reading:)

YOUR SISTER IN ISLAM:hearts:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

This is what is confusing, I see alot of Muslims from different countries but their Hijab/Jilbabs is different. which ONE is the RIGHT one, how do I know? I know the outfit has to be lose, not transparent, it's not ONE that looks like a man's outfit and such but what I am asking is that like Muslimah86 took an example of Saudi Arebia they all wear Abaya but then you see Muslims from Somalia and they wear Jilbab which confuses me Alot because I dont know which one the Sahabas wore (the Abaya or the jilbab that Somalis usually wear). I sometimes wear Abaya but I usually I wear skirt, lose top, and Khimar which is fine looking at the Creteria of Hijab itself but still out of these THREE different Hijabs which ONE is more PLEASING to Allah??? Is the Jilbab you are talking about the same as the Abaya?? I dont know the difference between HIJAB and JILBAB...it would be nice if you shed some LIGHT on this.
JazakaAllah khairan for reading:)

Hijab is the *whole concept of modesty* for women..the covering of the body and the hair..the scarf..the niqab..etc.

Jilbab..is the robe-looking dress which comes in various colors like in this picture:

http://www.desertstore.com/images/products/SA-jilbab-30_prod.jpg

Abaya..is the black flowy robe..worn from shoulders down to the feet..or from head to toe...like this one:

http://www.eleganceofblack.com/images/abaya_a94_side2.GIF

In the Arab world..and especially in the Gulf they go as far as recommending the abaya that covers the woman from her head to her toe like this (scholars there believe this abaya was worn by the women back in the days of Rasulullah):

http://www.essenceofblack.com/images/sa30_right_full.JPG

Scholars state that the best of hijabs is that of a jilbab and/or abaya...as they cover the woman better..and they can be loose enough as to not frame her body..but of course that's their verdict and they realize that sometimes it is difficult to attain these things..add to that their recommendations to not draw attention to one's self :)

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

I removed the segment about taking off the hijab under the EXTREME OF CASES..because I did not mention a name of a scholar in specific..and thought it would be best to put it back when I do have a name of one and better with a fatwa showing what I said...and I found two...

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/45672/خلع الحجاب

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/69432/خلع الحجاب

Shaikh Al-Munajjid is one of the scholars who say in the EXTREME OF EXTREMES hijab can be taken off..

I hope you (sister al-fajr) benefit from it..I wanted to make my information more solid because I mentioned a very critical thing :)

JazakiAllaah Khayr for the evidence - much appreciated, Ill read it at next opportunity inshaAllaah.

samiha

---------
Staff member

It is not so much *the trend* that is being followed or encouraged..it is the *commonality*..and it is not about the *colors* either...it is about what is *overall rare* and if seen around will provoke *2nd looks*...the point behind sticking to what is *common* (but yet *correct* Islamically!) is to avoid bringing attention to one's self...*bright colors* whether they are in Abaya & Jilbab societies or in modest-outfit societies..are a no-no for a hijabi as it will defeat what she attempted to serve in the first place *blend in & avoid attention* and thus defeat a fundamental condition of hijab...that's where the shaikhs are coming from with their "recommendation" :)..which makes total sense to me

Btw..you make a good point at the end as well..but with how some women dress nowa days..I would be happy to just see a sister conforming to what fits the context of *modesty*...I just think to myself *well at least she has it in her*...*sigh* :(

You know although I agree with you sis, I also see it in another sense, that somehow many times people take this and convert it to certain measures that I wouldnt. I mean the 'not drawing attention' concept. As in even though you say you should wear what is common, and yet at the same time conforms to Islaamic principles - you'll see many different interpretations of what these islaamic principles are.

Some scholars say when going out one limb should not be apparent from another, now even if one were to wear a skirt and a long shirt, you would still be able to tell certain areas from another. Also they say it cannot be able to describe any part of your body, and I've seen outfits which even if they technically conform to modesty, if they are put in a certain position it becomes compromised as well. How does one put this inline with commonality?

Truly, this has plagued me for quite some time I believe in one point, because you see, the place where I live is a small city. Within the whole place, those who wear hijaab I can count on my fingers, might actually only be 2-3 (me and my mum lol), Allah knows best. But in our parts we do not have a commonality, we dont have a set standard, unless we'd be willing to compromise a whooole lot to be with the other "Muslims"

In such a state you say the Muslim should be able to tell or something yeh? But see, then since it is so uncommon here, it might be easy to take the route of different types of Hijaab which 'may' still cover 'modestly'... however I thought that since we live in this Dunya such a short time, and in that period, what is wearing a bit more?

I mean the quote goes, "better safe then sorry"... what I do now will effect me in the Hereafter, and to be on the safer side I find it much better for me and my Imaan to wear more, even if that's not how the society is like and even though this means, I not only draw attention and get a "2nd look" i get a 3rd, 4th and maybe quite often 5ths too.

But then I decided that it didnt matter - because what are they gonna 'see' anyways? Covered all the way, even if they look I figure since they wont see anything it wont matter. Attracting attention... hey we're walking billboards regardless, so at least what they will see is my representation of Islaam in my hijaab.

So personally although other things may be fine, just to be safe I would always recommend wearing an abaya, irrespective of society and culture.

Then again, that's just my take =)

wasalam

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
Jazak Allah Khayr sisters. I needed this info for my wife. In our society, there are various shades of dress with women. One that I don't quite understand is Sari with headscarf !!!! Anyway, this is definitely a topic where more women need to be educated. Even the husbands, brothers and fathers of women should have a better understanding. May Allah reward you for your efforts ...

Unleashed

This is interesting. I am a recent revert, and a hijaabi, and I live in the USA. I always wear a headcovering with underscarf so that my hair and neck do not show, and I often wear an abaya over my clothes. I have several abayas, some are black and some are colored, but none brightly colored.

However, I also sometimes wear jeans and a long-sleeved, long, loose shirt, and head covering. This type of dress I have seen many muslim women wear when I have been to the masjid in the next city.

In my town, there is no masjid, and only one other muslima that I know, Mrs. X. She is a practicing muslima, but not a hijaabi. Although her dress does not conform to Islamic principles, it is not provocative in any way by American standards (no short skirts, for example). She certainly would not get a second look due to her mode of dress. Mrs. X definitely "blends".

I, on the other hand, stick out like a sore thumb. I get many second and third looks, and children stare. My own daughters ask me why I cannot be more like Mrs. X. I am an embarrassment to them. I do not blend.

My hijab makes me an ambassador of Islam to my community. I feel that by wearing hijab and thereby publicly identifying myself as muslim, others in my (entirely non-muslim) community can see that we are normal, real, peace loving, good-hearted people. We go to the bank and the park, hug our children, buy groceries, volunteer at school, and do all the other (acceptable) things everyone else does. :hijabi:

It has been pointed out to me, however, there is a flip side to this. Not only is Allah watching you....EVERYONE is watching you! :shymuslima1: When you slip up in behavior or manners, it becomes a reflection not only on you, but also on all of Islam. If I inadvertently cut someone off in traffic, for example, I am no longer "that woman driver". Now I am "that muslim"!

I have a magnet on my refrigerator that says, "May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am." My personal jihad is to be the kind of person my hijab proclaims me to be.

Assalamu alikom

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Hijab is the *whole concept of modesty* for women..the covering of the body and the hair..the scarf..the niqab..etc.

Jilbab..is the robe-looking dress which comes in various colors like in this picture:

http://www.desertstore.com/images/products/SA-jilbab-30_prod.jpg

Abaya..is the black flowy robe..worn from shoulders down to the feet..or from head to toe...like this one:

http://www.eleganceofblack.com/images/abaya_a94_side2.GIF

In the Arab world..and especially in the Gulf they go as far as recommending the abaya that covers the woman from her head to her toe like this (scholars there believe this abaya was worn by the women back in the days of Rasulullah):

http://www.essenceofblack.com/images/sa30_right_full.JPG

Scholars state that the best of hijabs is that of a jilbab and/or abaya...as they cover the woman better..and they can be loose enough as to not frame her body..but of course that's their verdict and they realize that sometimes it is difficult to attain these things..add to that their recommendations to not draw attention to one's self :)

JazakaAllah Khairan for your answer sis,
I had Jilbab wrong! when I said jilbab I meant this:
http://tharwacommunity.typepad.com/tharwa_review/images/2007/04/04/_42394663_ap_somali_woman416.jpg
and NONE of your pics have this:( but AlhamduliAllah, Now I know what Hijab the scholors THINK the sahabas wore...
Again Sister, JazakaAllah KHAIRAN