Question on Iblees

salam alaykum

iblees is a bad guy who influences us to do bad things but what influenced iblees to disobey Allah (swt) ??......i mean is there something more evil than iblees that influenced him?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
his arrogance and pride made him an evil being.

he did not prostrate to our forefather Adam (as) as he thought that since he is of fire, he is superior to someone made of clay.

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...

he did not prostrate to our forefather Adam (as) as he thought that since he is of fire, he is superior to someone made of clay.

Assalamu alaykum brother,
So are you saying Iblees was a good angel, and then as soon as man was created he turned arrogant?
Or did Allah (swt) create him with a curse?
I believe in the Holy Quran it states that Iblees said something like "Since you have put me in ERROR, I will surely take many of them away from your path" Iblees says this when he is asking Allah ta'ala to be reprieved until the Last Day.
So was he created cursed? or did Adam just make him arrogant ?
wa alaykum assalam

so arrogance and pride are more evil that they even took control of iblees??...i thought these things came from iblees the arrogance and pride i mean

zbhotto

Banned
salam alaykum

iblees is a bad guy who influences us to do bad things but what influenced iblees to disobey Allah (swt) ??......i mean is there something more evil than iblees that influenced him?

ALLAH (SWT) Human and Jinns with freewill. They can obey and disobey ALLAH (SWT) as they wish. At the same time ALLAH (SWT) informed Human and Jinns that He would punish Human and Jinns if they disobey and reward them if they obey. Now the choice is completely on our hand.

Iblees was not influenced by anyone. He consciously used his freewill to disobey ALLAH (SWT). The arrogance and pride that he had due to his status he refuse to acknoledge that Adam is the best creation of ALLAH (SWT). Note his disobedience was not the cause of getting ALLAH's curse. The reason why ALLAH (SWT) cursed him was because Iblees refused to admit that it is his fault to disobey ALLAH (SWT) command rather Iblees blamed ALLAH for his disobedience. Iblees said, it is not my fault not to prostrate to Adham (AS), You have created me in this way.

This accusation against ALLAH was a completely lie, because ALLAH (SWT) also gave the Human and Jinns consciousness, rational thinking, so that these two creatures can use their freewill in a beneficial way.

Iblees has no power to enforce us to do anything. According to Koran he can just whisper us. Therefore whatever evil though comes to our mind ALLAH (SWT) will not hold us accountable for that. But if we turn our evil thought into action then it is our action/choice and Iblees is not responsible for that.

Not all of our bad action can be attributed to Iblees. We also have freewill and therefore, we can disobey ALLAH's with our own choice, it is sometime called nafs in arabic.

Qur'an&Sunnah

Traveler
:salam2:

In Surah Al Kahf, ayah 50, Allah azza wa jal says: And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam," and they prostrated, except for Iblees, He was of the Jinn and departed from [disobeyed] the command of His Lord....

Therefore, Iblees was indeed a Jinn, he was not an angel (or a fallen angel as some might say)

In Ibn Kathir's Tafsir of Surah Al-Baqarah pertaining to the story of Iblees, its says:

Honoring Adam when the Angels prostrated before Him

This Ayah mentions the great honor that Allah granted Adam, and Allah reminded Adam's offspring of this fact. Allah commanded the angels to prostrate before Adam, as this Ayah and many Hadiths testify, such as the Hadith about the intercession that we discussed. There is a Hadith about the supplication of Musa, "O my Lord! Show me Adam who caused us and himself to be thrown out of Paradise.'' When Musa met Adam, he said to him, "Are you Adam whom Allah created with His Own Hands, blew life into and commanded the angels to prostrate before'' Iblis was among Those ordered to prostrate before Adam, although He was not an Angel

When Allah commanded the angels to prostrate before Adam, Iblis was included in this command. Although Iblis was not an angel, he was trying - and pretending - to imitate the angels' behavior and deeds, and this is why he was also included in the command to the angels to prostrate before Adam. Satan was criticized for defying that command, as we will explain with detail, Allah willing, when we mention the Tafsir of Allah's statement,

[إِلاَّ إِبْلِيسَ كَانَ مِنَ الْجِنِّ فَفَسَقَ عَنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّهِ]

(Except Iblis (Satan). He was one of the Jinn; he disobeyed the command of his Lord.) (18:50)

Similarly, Muhammad bin Ishaq reported that Ibn `Abbas said, "Before he undertook the path of sin, Iblis was with the angels and was called `Azazil.' He was among the residents of the earth and was one of the most active worshippers and knowledgeable persons among the angels. This fact caused him to be arrogant. Iblis was from a genus called Jinn.''

(And they prostrated except Iblis (Shaytan), he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers (disobedient to Allah).)

"Iblis, the enemy of Allah, envied Adam because Allah honored Adam. He said, `I was created from fire, and he was created from clay.' Therefore, the first error ever committed was arrogance, for the enemy of Allah was too arrogant to prostrate before Adam.'' I - Ibn Kathir - say, the following is recorded in the Sahih,

«لَا يَدْخُلُ الْجَنَّةَ مَنْ كَانَ فِي قَلْبِهِ مِثْقَالُ حَبَّةٍ مِنْ خَرْدَلٍ مِنْ كِبْر»

(No person who has the weight of a mustard seed of arrogance in his heart shall enter Paradise.)

Iblis had disbelief, arrogance, and rebellion, all of which caused him to be expelled from the holy presence of Allah, and His mercy.

So according to these ayat and the tafsir, there is no mention of any being higher or more evil than Iblees that convinced him to disobey Allah by not prostrating to Adam (AS) rather it was out of envy and arrogance. Also Allah (SWT) tells us this in Surah Al-A'raf, ayat 12 and 13:

12: [Allah] said, "What prevented you from prostrating when I commanded you?" [Shaytaan] said, "I am better than him [Adam]. You created me from fire and created him from clay [earth].

13. [Allah] said, "Descend from it [Paradise], for it is not for you to be arrogant therein. So get out; indeed, you are of the debased.

Therefore, only Shaytaan's arrogance and his envy for Adam caused him not to prostrate to Adam and disobey Allah (SWT)

I pray to Allah azza wa jal that this answer your question and the other questions posed. Wa Allahu Alam.

:salam2: