Question regarding praying behind imaam

islamdonlyway

:salam2: brothers and sisters hope evryones good.

I have a question regarding when praying behind the imaaam. In the hanifi madhab (wich i follow) it is stated that we dont need to read surah fatiha on the prayers such as zuhur. I wanted to know what our prophet (pbuh) did, becouse i am scared if this is the wrong opinion and that we are suposed to read surah faitiha as other schools of thoughts claim. Please shed some light on this issue from sunnah. Jazakallah may allah reward you for your effort ameen.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

in hanafi school, not only zuhr but in all the prayers, the muqtadi do not recite surah fatiha or any other surahs.

islamdonlyway

what does 'muqtadi' mean? were do other school of thoughts get the idea that we should read surah fatiha? do they have any evidence?

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
:salam2: brothers and sisters hope evryones good.

I have a question regarding when praying behind the imaaam. In the hanifi madhab (wich i follow) it is stated that we dont need to read surah fatiha on the prayers such as zuhur. I wanted to know what our prophet (pbuh) did, becouse i am scared if this is the wrong opinion and that we are suposed to read surah faitiha as other schools of thoughts claim. Please shed some light on this issue from sunnah. Jazakallah may allah reward you for your effort ameen.
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh brother. In the Hanafi Mazhaab, a person MUST recite Surah Fatihah in Salatuz Zuhr and Salatul Asr (behind an Imam, and they also must make "Qira'at" (to recite atleast 3 short ayat) in the first and second Rakah).

It is only during Salatul Fajr, Magreib, and Isha when the Muqtadi (the followers behind the Imam) don't have to recite Surah Fatihah, etc. because Imam Abu Hanifah narrarted a Hadith in which Rasulallah (SAW) stated that the Muqtadi's recitation of Quran is not necessary if the Imam recites outloud (in Fajr, Magreib, and Isha).

Abu Ameerah

Fatiha in the Prayer (behind Imaam)

Reciting Surah Al-Fatiha is required in every Rak'ah of the prayer. All of these facts testify to the requirement that reciting the Qur'an (Al-Fatihah) in the prayer is required, and there is a consensus between the scholars on this ruling. The Hadith that we mentioned also testifies to this fact, for the Prophet said, Who ever performs any prayer in which he did not read Umm Al-Quran (Surah Al-Fatiha), then his prayer is incomplete, he said it thrice. Narrated by Abu Hurayrah from Sahih Muslim.

Also, the Two Sahihs recorded that Ubadah bin As-Samit said that the Messenger of Allah said, There is no prayer for whoever does not recite the Opening of the Book. Also, the Sahihs of Ibn Khuzaymah and Ibn Hibban recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said, The prayer during which Umm Al-Qur'an is not recited is invalid. There are many other Hadiths on this subject. Therefore, reciting the Opening of the Book, during the prayer by the Imam and those praying behind him, is required in every prayer, and in every Rak`ah.

Imam Abu Hanifa said "when you find a Hadeeth contradicting my mandate, throw my decision on wall, means DO NOT FOLLOW MY SAYINGS.

This is a very clear, we should not follow any Madhab blindly. Allah knows best. May Allah guide us all to the right path...

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
what does 'muqtadi' mean? were do other school of thoughts get the idea that we should read surah fatiha? do they have any evidence?

Muqtadi means the one who is praying behind the Imam in a congregational prayer (Jama'ah).

The opinion to read Al fatiha in every rakah (be it silent or loud) by Muqtadi is definitely the stronger one.

There is a clear authentic hadeeth that I will paste below from Islamqa.

It was narrated by al-Bukhaari in Juz’ al-Qiraa’ah, and by al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibbaan and others, from Makhool from Mahmood ibn al-Rabee’ from ‘Ubaadah, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stumbled in his recitation in Fajr, and when he finished he said, “Perhaps you recite behind your imaam?” They said, “Yes,” He said, “Do not do that, except for the Opening of the Book (al-Faaithah), for there is no prayer for the one who does not recite it.”

Here, Rasool SallAllahu Alleyhi Wa Sallam was addressing a Sahabi who was praying behind him (ie a muqtadi).

Also, the opinion formed on basis of “The recitation of the imaam is the recitation of the one who is praying behind him” is a weak opinion, as this hadeeth is deemed daeef (or weak) by muhaditheen.

For more information, please read :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/10995

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi