Question

mali1

I had a question. But before that I want to introduce myself. I have been watching this site for the past 2 months and have been really impressed by the content/discussions. I am a born muslim but I guess i am one who has a lot of Gunnah than Sawaab.

I say this because I have strayed from my belief at times but have always come back. I hope Allah forgives me for my sins and I hope and pray that I never do them again (such as drinking etc).

Questions:

1. I have seen a lot of articles and feel that they are slightly on the stricter side such as Yousuf Islam taking up music again etc. I noticed that a lot of people expressed their anguish about it. I respect their feelings but at the same time think that if its done in moderation then it is okay. I say this becuase I am not aware of what made him go back to music. It may be (may be) that he is intending to attract more to convert to Islam through his music. I have always been told that its your "intention" that decides whether you have sinned or not. If your intentions are right then Allah know all and we should not be passing comments about others. Your thoughts please?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

First I want to welcome you to the family.
Secondly, this is a forum for us to express our feelings; to gain an understanding of where our feelings lie within the sahria. I would strongly urge you to contact a scholar.
As an individaul we can make a general comment. However, we can not make generalizations. There are many on this forum with knowledge.
Intention is valued in Islam. Our intention ( thoughts ) will be judged. Intention is the precursor to action. Often intention is more serious than action. Case in point: murder. If there is premeditation ( intention ) that is a more severe crime than simply murdering. ( I apologize for the example).
Cognition ( thought ) is a divine gift that separates us from other creation. We have to value it and treat it like the divine gift it is.
Iman Ghazalli has written so much on this. Please wait for responses from our knowledgeable members.