Questions about Zakat

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Assalam alaikam, I have a couple of questions about Zakat Ul Fitr and normal Zakat.

1. How much do we pay for Zakat Ul Fitr? Is there a set amount?

2. A friend said that i should pay my Zakat during ramadan as i would get more reward if i paid it during this time. Do we pay Zakat on money we have lent? For example, if i have lent money to a family member or my husband and they intend to give it back.

Jazakallah Khair

Aminah 4 Allah

I beleive in Allah
Assalamu Alaikum Sister,

Yes, you do have to pay zakat on non-delinquent loans that you have given out. To accurately calculate your zakat I find it helpful to use an online calculator such as the one found at: http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/zakat/zakat_calculator.shtml

With regard to the calcualtion for zakat-al-fitr, zakat-al-fitr has to be paid by all Muslims in the amount of one Sa' of food (4 handfuls for the average man). There will be a consensus among scholars with regard to the amount of money that is equal to one Sa'. This year at our masjid we were informed that $10 will provide one 'Sa of food. We are obligated to donate this amount for zakat-al-fitr if we are required to pay zakat. If we donate more than the minimum then we inshaAllah we will be rewarded for this good deed. We should donate this money during Ramadan as early as possible so it can be sent to the poor and needy Muslims around the world so they will be able to enjoy Eid-al-Fitr just as we all will be inshaAllah.

I hope this helps to clarify zakat and zakat-al-fitr for you sister.

Azhar07

Wa alaikum assalam,

First on Zakat Ul Fitr

Yes, there is a fixed amount for Zakat Ul Fitr, it is quoted as 2 Saa'h [approximatly 2250 Kg] of grains of that particular locality or money required for the corresponding quantity of grains .

Zakat on money we lent

Here various opinions has been recorded ,

1) If the lented money is intended to be given back it is as same as we are having the money with us so we should pay zakat accordingly.
{Uthman,Jabir,Ibnu Ummar,Hasnul Basri,Shafi}

2) It is advised to pay zakat for the lented money only when it is given back. Though we should pay zakat for all the years it was lented.
{Ali,Abu Saur,Hanafi-Hambali}

3) There is no Zakat for it hence it never grows
{Aaisha,Ikrim}

4) When the money lented is given back, Zakat should be given also with addition to an extra year.
{Saeedibnu Mussayib, Atha-ibnu-Abi-rabah}