Quick, Healthy & UNiversally Halal Lunch Ideas?

tic_tac_toe

:bismillah1:

:salam2:

What are some recommendations which can be taken for Lunch, quick, healthy and "universally Halal". Here is my first MacNCheese!

macandcheese.jpg

:wasalam:

:jazaak:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Mac and cheese is healthy for kids. They eat it. I try not to use processed cheese and substitute good cheese. I limit my self to one tablespoon of sugar.
You can never make enough. It's good for a couple of nights, if they leave any.

Now some have told me to be very careful with cheese. Something about using human hair for protein. I did not check this out, yet.

If that is too disgusting for you...just use cream and butter to make a light sauce over noodles. Not so kids friendly.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Assalaam alaikum,

Mac and cheese is healthy for kids. They eat it. I try not to use processed cheese and substitute good cheese. I limit my self to one tablespoon of sugar.
You can never make enough. It's good for a couple of nights, if they leave any.

Now some have told me to be very careful with cheese. Something about using human hair for protein. I did not check this out, yet.

If that is too disgusting for you...just use cream and butter to make a light sauce over noodles. Not so kids friendly.

The human hair would be noted as L-Cysteine in the ingredients. It's most typically human hair or chicken feathers. You can find that ingredient in practically everything - from breads to muffins to cookies to whatnot.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Aapa, I read about L-Cysteine a few years ago, so I've forgotten whether its haram or makrooh. I just can't imagine scholars voting *human hair* as halal.

Edit: Looked it up. It's haram if they're using hair. This is helpful: http://www.albalagh.net/halal/col2.shtml

I've never heard L-Cysteine was used in cheese though. The more dangerous thing with cheese is the use of pork rennet, or haraam-slaughtered rennet from beef or chicken. Kraft is definitely a no-zone for muslims. I emailed them quite a while back and asked them what rennet they used. They replied they used pork rennet, beef rennet and microbial rennet in their products, but they couldn't guarantee which cheese batch used which rennet. So I stayed away from Kraft ever since then.

http://cheese.joyousliving.com/CheeseListBrand.aspx This website lists all the top cheese brands which are halal (or use microbial rennet for vegetarians living in the US.. same thing).

Most companies' processed cheeses use animal substitutes, and their natural cheeses are better. Aapa, you wouldn't believe the amount of research I once did upon this subject when I was in the US, so let me know if you need any more info.

sister purified

assalamu alaykum!
i NEVER knew cheese could be non halal.. i mean i thiught it was just a milk product so its ok! this is really news to me.. :(
would some1 be kind enough to help me t find list of other things where i should be careful about the origin... i know jellies are not always halal.. anything else?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
assalamu alaykum!
i NEVER knew cheese could be non halal.. i mean i thiught it was just a milk product so its ok! this is really news to me.. :(
would some1 be kind enough to help me t find list of other things where i should be careful about the origin... i know jellies are not always halal.. anything else?

Sis, you're from India... as am I. The Britannia and Amul and Dairy Fun cheeses are all vegetarian. (At least they have the green circle on the packaging). The non-muslims would riot if they added in pork or beef rennet here, right? Whatever product has the green circle should be okay, even jellies I think.

Please let us know sis, if you hear of any product that's suspicious. Like what things should we stay away from?

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

In the West, restaurants which offer 'vegetarian' options are not always aware that cheese can contain animal rennet, so it pays to be careful. Parmesan cheese is always made with animal rennet, so it should be avoided.

sister purified

wa alaykumussalam! thank you sis tabassum07
i actually forgot about the green circle when i first read the post.. problem is i've been in saudia-arabia most of my life, so im so used to eating without having to consider if its halaal or not..ive ben very careful once im back in india...but cheese was news to me. i eat cheese from non halaal restaurants and all... ill definitely be more careful next time! if at all i hear of suspicious products ill inshaAllah let you know n i hope u do 2..
jazakAllah :)