Racism and its terminology

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

I moved the posts pertaining to racist terminology from Aapas thread to this new thread, otherwise I would have been responsible for having really derailed it.

finding light said:
Situation now is I will be marrying a Paki Inshallah. His parents love me and accept me, all his relatives do and they definitely see the Muslimah in me. Not bound by race/culture. Rare for Pakis na?? Alhamdulillah for me.
You might want to seriously consider fixing that term before you get married, its perceived as quite racist by many ..if not your future in-laws, then perhaps their friends and wider family? Better safe than sorry.

:salam2:

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
You might want to seriously consider fixing that term before you get married, its perceived as quite racist by many ..if not your future in-laws, then perhaps their friends and wider family? Better safe than sorry.

:wasalam:
You might want to start with the :salam2:
Sister... please... "perceived" only in the UK and maybe America. which isnt the whole world. I use it all the time even talking when I talk to him and his family.
I asked once about this and one Brother said to me - YES I AM A PAKI AND IM PROUD.
Everyone here knows i dont mean it in a derogatory or racist meaning. I'm MARRYING him and his family for goodness sake! Would I be racist against them?
For any reader out there who might have been offended - im sure its clear that was not my intension and I apologise.
JazakAllah Khair for the advice nonetheless.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

JazakAllah khair for stating this.

People often don't take such derogatory terms very lightly but I am one of the apparent "few" that take it as a racist term. I also go around educating those around me that are unaware of this fact.

And FYI, the people who actually educated me on how derogatory the term is when I was throwing it around carelessly were my PARENTS who were born and bred in Pakistan and are NOT originally from the US or the UK. It was out of respect for them and myself that I researched the history of the term and learned that they were very much correct in being offended by it.

Anyone who smiles and nods when they hear it simply have not bothered to study the history of the term.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Language takes on meaning with different generations. The third generation Americans take on the old racists terms. I am always amused. They take pride in what separates them from the mainstream. The young rappers use the N word with a slight variation in spelling. The young throw back to the oppressors the same words that were used to describe their ancestors..with a new twist..I can use it but the oppressor better not.

The racists society we live in makes them adamant and rightly so. But that is not the purpose of this thread.

Ershad

Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Language takes on meaning with different generations. The third generation Americans take on the old racists terms. I am always amused. They take pride in what separates them from the mainstream. The young rappers use the N word with a slight variation in spelling. The young throw back to the oppressors the same words that were used to describe their ancestors..with a new twist..I can use it but the oppressor better not.

The racists society we live in makes them adamant and rightly so. But that is not the purpose of this thread.

Yes, it seems to be the trend in most things, not just language but in other cultural aspects. For a while, it is offensive and then after frequent use, people just get over it and become insensitive to racial slurs. Then it becomes a habit and something of "identity" sort. I have heard people saying samething for the P-word that the people from pakistan, india, bangladesh are allowed to use it among themselves and it is not offensive but it is offensive when someone else uses it. I have to agree most of these trends happen even if people come to know about its "history" because it becomes the "coolness" statement. Samething with the sagging pants (though its origin is from prison). I think it is because people always sympathize towards people under oppression and so, they also adopt things that "symbolizes" that oppression and make a hype out of it or fashion statement. Its like we know Robinhood was a robber, but he is still regarded as a hero because he stole from the rich and gave it to poor, so people make excuse for him and "stealing" becomes okay and sometimes even trendy. But, this is really sad and not a good practice. Now, I see the same thing with some muslims who think it is trendy to be called "extremist" or "terrorist" , because it "glorifies" them as a "robinhood" who defends muslims oppressed everywhere. Though most muslims don't like to be called like that, I am afraid it might soon become a trend and accepted thing.

Just my observation. I could be wrong. And sorry for diverting the thread.

Wassalamu Alaikkum

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

I wanted to say that the fact that people adopt the deragatory terminology themselves is not that much of a puzzle; when a people are oppressed then to an extent they begin to imitate the ways of their oppressors.

I was discussing this with a friend recently and she mentioned that this is demonstrated in Surah Baqarah when Bani Isra'eel wanted to have the food Fir'awn had, haven't had the chance to look it up yet, but its very interesting.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, it is the robinhood thing. I had no clue that the P word was offensive. The youth here use it. And the N word is used by everyone. So now we have the P/N.

In the US many hijab wearing women are called rag-heads. I have heard some of my sisters refer to themselves as rag heads.

There is also positive terminology from racism. The P and N words.

I always take pride in describing myself as a woman of color. It has the connotation that I am strong and independent and not an object of desire.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Misr(Egypt) of minds

Assalamu'alaykum,

I wanted to say that the fact that people adopt the deragatory terminology themselves is not that much of a puzzle; when a people are oppressed then to an extent they begin to imitate the ways of their oppressors.

I was discussing this with a friend recently and she mentioned that this is demonstrated in Surah Baqarah when Bani Isra'eel wanted to have the food Fir'awn had, haven't had the chance to look it up yet, but its very interesting.

I recently heard this in a lecture by Br Nouman Ali Khan explaining Surah Al Baqarah,when Bani Israil said they wanted something else to eat ,that which was offered to them in Masr,to which Musa('alyhissalam) replied,that they wanted something less(in Masr) for that which was better(from Allah),then in a sarcastic way told them to go to Masr(not just Masr as in Egypt,but any other Masr,where they will be enslaved and get what they want).I think Qur'an beautifully tells us this incident,that how mind is shackled in wish for acquisition of such lesser status(though it might appear cool and glimmering),instead of yearning and attaching to that which comes from Allah(though it might be simple).
Thus identifying with such belittling things.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We are getting into semantics. I do not think it is at all a matter of belittling yourselves.

I am going to get longwinded again..brace yourselves.

When a people have been oppressed for a long period. And the term oppression implies the unfairness of the treatment. Well, people get an attitude. It is strong. It is silent. When you see me walking down the street you better cross the road kinda thing. Too, the oppressor do a magnificent job of dehumanizing the oppressed. They are filthy, immoral, undereducated, the women are treated unfairly. They deserve what they get.

The oppressed use the terminology assigned to them to their own advantage.

Case in point; I am striving to be a strong Believer. I am as gentle as a spring breeze. I am seeking Love to please Allah. And you call me a fundamental raghead...well...let me show you a little something..funny thing...they do clear a path for you.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

I recently heard this in a lecture by Br Nouman Ali Khan explaining Surah Al Baqarah,when Bani Israil said they wanted something else to eat ,that which was offered to them in Masr,to which Musa('alyhissalam) replied,that they wanted something less(in Masr) for that which was better(from Allah),then in a sarcastic way told them to go to Masr(not just Masr as in Egypt,but any other Masr,where they will be enslaved and get what they want).I think Qur'an beautifully tells us this incident,that how mind is shackled in wish for acquisition of such lesser status(though it might appear cool and glimmering),instead of yearning and attaching to that which comes from Allah(though it might be simple).
Thus identifying with such belittling things.
Wa-alaikum assalam,
JazakAllaah khayr, its an important lesson.

Aapa said:
The oppressed use the terminology assigned to them to their own advantage.
What advantage exactly?

They're putting themselves down, I really don't see any advantage in dissing yourself.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I could not watch the video...technicality.

I just wish to clarify something. I pray you are patient with me.

The use of some words that are deemed racists by the majority is a process in liberation thinking. It is the pre-dawn to faith. I believe that reflecting on the words of Muslim thinkers it is the need to understand what is wrong with the state of affairs and seeking the journey of worshiping Allah subhana wa taala.
I am going to use all kinds of phrases borrowed from everyone. " For you and me the world is a ghetto". The corruption and evils of the duyna have made many oppressed. The livelihood of many is circumscribed. There is no hope of ameliorating the circumstances. This produces anger.
And the anger is justified. Look at Syria. Look everywhere it is there. Think of England last year. Everywhere. I am hungry and you are giving my tax dollars to Israel??!!! There is no need to seek why it is justified. The oppressors lie and cheat people and label those who they rob blind their slaves. Greece.
When there is division the words of the oppressed become serious. They do not have time for poetic phrases. They reduce the language into the simplest common denominator. The simplest common denominator is the word that the oppressor uses to describe the oppressed.
It is then the time for Believers to present the liberation of Islam so that the language of anger becomes the salaam of joy. Yes, for you and me the world is a ghetto. But, there is also a rose in Harlem.

This is where brotherhood starts, Islam. The correct for oppression.