Registering Islamic Name ?

TheWanderer

Assalam alaykum

I will be doing my shahada this weekend inshallah. Thanks to this site and some brothers help ( You know who you are ) :) I have chosen an Islamic name. What I want to know is how do I go about registering my name, do I get anything in paper, certificate ? I assume in order for me to use my name I need something official to prove I haev changed my name?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
First and foremost, soon-to-be Brother: SAY YOUR SHAHADAH NOW!!!! You never know when Allah will take you away from this Earth! Say your Shahadah as soon as possible, and yes you can say it again at the planned time. You know the Shahadah: say it as soon as possible and if you believe it, Allah will accept it! You do not need 2 Muslim Witnesses (even though it is suggested, it's not required).

Now to answer your question: It doesn't matter how you go about changing your name. Some brothers/sisters change their names legally while some just use it as an Internet pseudonym/known among those close to them (as I do).

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
The shahadah>>>quicker insha'Allah!

Dear brother in humanity and soon in Islam insha'Allah,

I would suggest you first to take the shahadah even sooner than the weekend,:jumpclap: You don't necessarily need to wait until then to make your shahadah official...as it is the most imoprtant thing to do right now even on your own!

And as for the name, that will come when you have the opportunity to change it, you can do so then.:)

May Allah (swt) open your heart and guide you to Islam all your life!

TheWanderer

:)
I always thought that my Shahada had to be witnessed by another 2 muslims. Now I know. Has any other new converts out there got any experience on how to change name in the UK. I still suspect in order for me to change name legally I need something to support this.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Wonderer,

There's lots and lots of converts here. They will for sure insha'Allah share their experience with you.
And as I said, you can and
should take your shahadah the sooner the better, don't wait for the witnesses at the Mosque. You will see and feel the relieve after that!:)

My greets to you.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Assalam alaykum

I will be doing my shahada this weekend inshallah. Thanks to this site and some brothers help ( You know who you are ) :) I have chosen an Islamic name. What I want to know is how do I go about registering my name, do I get anything in paper, certificate ? I assume in order for me to use my name I need something official to prove I haev changed my name?

Alhamdulillah thats so wondeful......brother you dont have to wait till weekend you can say your Shahada now.....:)

Believing "La ilaha il Allah" (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah)

"Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah"
(Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)"

For surely None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.....

Allah Subhana Wa Ta'aala is the Creator of the heavens and earth, the Ruler of all that exists, the Lord of Majesty and Highness....

May Allah make your path easy for you and for us all......Ameen Ya Rabbil Al Ameen...

wasalam

MubarekMuslimah

salaams brother

I agree say shahadah now if you can/feel ready - may Allah swt bless you and guide you. You can still do it again at the weekend with witnesses but it is important to say it.

Re changing the name - you need to change it be DeedPoll to do it officially. I think you might have to pay - well, to chnage passport and things you probably will. If you go to the citizens advice bureau (CAB) near you - usually at the local council or they can tell you where - then they can direct you to the procedure.

Hope that helps, insha'allah

Salaams

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum

If you believe there is no deity worthy of Worship except Allah and that the Prophet Muhammad is his last and finnal messenger, then you are already have way there.

you Muslim by the heart, to complete you must say it upon the tongue,

ash hadu an la ilaha ilallah wa ash hadu anna muhammadur Rasulallah.

I bear witness there is no God worthy of Worship Except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

THats all there is, you do not need to go to a Mosque, you do not need two witnesses. Although, it is better that you did say it to a Muslim.

Take Care, and may Allah help you and make it easy for you.

Wasalam