Rejecting practices endorsed by Mohammed?

duncan_bayne

Thanks all for the warm welcome to TTI.

Mohammed is referred to in the Quran as having a sublime nature[1], and this is usually construed to mean that Mohammed is an infallible[2] or perfect[3] man.

Mohammed owned slaves ("... a black slave of Allah's Apostle was at the top if its stairs"[4]), which is now rightly condemned as immoral and illegal in most countries.

This leads to my first question: how is it possible for Muslims to reform Islam to reject practices carried out by Mohammed during his life, and approved (tacitly or explicitly) in the Quran itself?

As far as I can tell it is wrong for a Muslim to condemn slavery, as it was a facet of Mohammed's life, and tacitly permitted in the Quran ("And free those slaves you possess who wish to buy their freedom after a written undertaking ..."[1]). Condemning slavery constitutes a direct denial of the infallibility of Mohammed and the Quran itself.

1 http://www.mlivo.com/translations/Ahmed%20Ali.htm
2 http://www.ezsoftech.com/Islamic/infallible1a.asp
3 http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/muhammad/perfect_man.html
4 http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/091.sbt.html

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Welcome to first post.

"And free those slaves you possess who wish to buy their freedom after a written undertaking ..."[1

Fist of all whenever you post hadith or verse from Quran quote it completely. Even if you are not making your own meaning from verse but you need to quote it completely.

I will not answer completely other brother will do.

In some of the countries drugs are totally banned but in some western countries it is allowed to have 2 or 3 cigarettes. Why is that? The problem is people are addicted to drugs and it is impossible to condemn the use of drug in one bill. So they are reducing it step by step. In the same way at that time it was a common practice to buy and sell human. It was not possible to condemn it at once. But Islam gave so many rights to slave that slaves consider one of the family member and this is not just a talk. This is just one point.

Last thing i want to ask you if you want to study Physics you will definitly study Stephen hawking not shakespear. And if you want to learn Quran and Islam than study from their resources not from those people who just want to spread false information about QUran and Islam. It will only increase only more and more question in your mind. Question for the sake of question. What is your mother tongue so we advice you any website that will be beneficial for you.

sha587

Shahid abdullah
1. In the early Makkan period, it pronounced that slave emancipation was a great deed of piety. The very initial Makkan surahs appealed to the Muslims to liberate as many slaves as they could.
2. The Prophet (sws), unequivocally, directed the Muslims to raise the standard of living of the slaves and bring it equal to their own standard. This, of course, was meant to discourage people from persisting with them.
3. For the atonement of many sins manumission of slaves was divinely ordained.
4. All slave men and women who could support themselves in the society were directed to marry one another, in order to raise their moral and social status.
5. A permanent head in the public treasury was fixed to set free slave men and women.
6. Prostitution, which was largely carried out through slave women, who were mostly forced by their masters do so, was totally prohibited.
7. The affronting names of `abd and amah by which slave men and women were called, were abrogated so that people should stop regarding them as slaves. In their place, the words fata (boy) and fatat (girl) were introduced.
8. Finally, the law of mukatibat provided very easy access for the slaves to the gateway to freedom. Every slave who was capable of supporting himself was allowed by law to free himself, provided that he either gave a certain monetary amount to his master or carried out certain errands for him. After this, he could live as a free man. A special head in the treasury was fixed for this purpose; also, wealthy people were urged to help the slaves in this regard. The net result of this law was that only handicapped and old slaves were left to be provided for by their masters, which not only went in their own favour but also prevented them from becoming an economic burden on the society.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Welcome to first post.

Fist of all whenever you post hadith or verse from Quran quote it completely. Even if you are not making your own meaning from verse but you need to quote it completely.

I will not answer completely other brother will do.

In some of the countries drugs are totally banned but in some western countries it is allowed to have 2 or 3 cigarettes. Why is that? The problem is people are addicted to drugs and it is impossible to condemn the use of drug in one bill. So they are reducing it step by step. In the same way at that time it was a common practice to buy and sell human. It was not possible to condemn it at once. But Islam gave so many rights to slave that slaves consider one of the family member and this is not just a talk. This is just one point.

Last thing i want to ask you if you want to study Physics you will definitly study Stephen hawking not shakespear. And if you want to learn Quran and Islam than study from their resources not from those people who just want to spread false information about QUran and Islam. It will only increase only more and more question in your mind. Question for the sake of question. What is your mother tongue so we advice you any website that will be beneficial for you.
i agree with brother Shahid...when ALLAH (god) sent Muhammad (pbuh) as a messenger, those bad habits were an enjoyment and pleasure to the arab community...however, noor (light) of islam didnt agree with it and thus, islam began to finish those acts like slavery...so many and many sahaabiis of prophet (pbuh) freed many slaves by giving money to their owners...

hope this helps a little...

IbnAdam

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Dear brothers and sister..

If you read about the life of Prophet Mohammed SAW, You'll see that he freed his slave later, but his slave (Billal) refused to leave him and chose to stay by his side.

You'll also see that all of his companians did the same with thier slaves.

(Al-Hujraat 49) O you who believe! If a Fasiq (liar — evil person) comes to you with any news, verify it, lest you should harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful for what you have done. (6)

Why did slavery exist during Islam? And how did Islam deal with it?

First, it is important to know that thousands of years ago life was different than today. Today, people wouldn't accept slavery for any reason. The reason for this is because people are a lot more independent both financially, education wise, mentally, etc... But people back then were different. When a tribe or a group of people lose a major battle and their money is mostly, if not all, is taken as war booty by the other side, then people could and would accept being slaves for the following reasons:

1- Both financial and social security. When their country or tribe lost the war, they also lost most or all of their money as war booty. Being out of money and food, it becomes necessary for an individual to find the means for basic survival in life. Living as a slave would provide this.

2- Protection from hostile individuals. Even under the Islamic rule, you can still find hostile individuals who violate the Law and take matters into their own hands. An enemy family can be sometime in danger if they don't have a "protector".

3- Widows, Orphans, and the extremely poor of the enemy side need the financial and social protection from a Master. Back then, there were no governments with good social system that protects everyone. Slavery back then was that social system in special cases.

There are probably more points I can add, but I think these are sufficient enough.

Islam and Slavery:

Islam is a religion that came to fight slavery and end it once and for all. During Judaism and Christianity, slavery was at its highest peak in the Middle East. People were enslaved and they and their children were inherited and passed down to generations for ever. This tradition came from Leviticus 25:44-46 in the Bible's Old Testament, and further continued in the New Testament in 1 Timothy 6:1, 1 Peter 2:18, and Colossians 3:22.

Now keep in mind that the entire Bible is corrupted and unreliable and is mostly filled with man-made cultural laws and corruption!

GOD Almighty Said: "`How can you say, "We [the Jews] are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?' (From the NIV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"

The Revised Standard Version makes it even clearer: "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. (From the RSV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"

In either translation, we clearly see that the Jews had so much corrupted the Bible with their man-made cultural laws, that they had turned the Bible into a lie!

See Also Deuteronomy 31:25-29 where Moses peace be upon him predicted the corruption/tampering of the Law (Bible) after his death. The Book of Moses predicted that the Law (Bible) will get corrupted. The Book of Jeremiah which came approximately 826 years after did indeed confirm this corruption.

So Leviticus 25:44-46, 1 Timothy 6:1, 1 Peter 2:18, and Colossians 3:22 above are highly doubtful to be Divine Revelations from GOD Almighty, the Most Just, Most Merciful, and Most Wise. Please visit Just who were the real authors of the Bible? You will see comments from the commentary of the NIV Bible (one of the most used Bibles world wide) itself admitting that most of the Books and Gospels of the Bible are corrupted. No one ever claimed ownership of the current Books and Gospels. The owners/writers are unknown.

When Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him received the Divine Revelations of Islam, slavery among the Pagan Arabs, Jews and Christians was quite common. When he came with Allah Almighty's True Religion of Islam, he gradually eliminated slavery. He couldn't enforce it all at once, because it would've caused Islam to be an unsuccessful religion toward freeing slaves, and would certainly have broken Islam's system for ending slavery.

By gradually freeing slaves and making it be acceptable to the society of many different pagan cultures and traditions, the idea of eliminating slavery became powerful enough that after Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him died, the freed slaves remained free and non of them was ever enslaved again.

Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said:

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari: "The Prophet said, "Give food to the hungry, pay a visit to the sick and release (set free) the one in captivity (by paying his ransom)." (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Food, Meals, Volume 7, Book 65, Number 286)"

Always remember!

It was not Islam that started slavery, but it was Islam that ultimately ended it. Please visit The liberation of slaves in Islam to see the Noble Verses from the Noble Quran and the Sayings of Prophet Muhammad that command the Muslims to free all slaves.

Excerpt of the Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) last sermon:

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

Mohammed is referred to in the Quran as having a sublime nature[1], and this is usually construed to mean that Mohammed is an infallible[2] or perfect[3] man.l

Hello Duncan,

Hope this clears your misconception & increases your knowledge:

Praise be to Allaah.

“The ummah (Muslim nation) is agreed that the Messengers are infallible in carrying out their mission – they do not forget anything that Allaah has revealed to them except with regard to matters that have been abrogated. They are also infallible in conveying the Message – they do not conceal anything that Allaah has revealed to them, for that would be a betrayal and it is impossible to imagine that they could do such a thing. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘O Messenger! Proclaim (the Message) which has been sent down to you from your Lord. And if you do not ,then you have not conveyed His Message…’ [al-Maa’idah 5:67]. If anything is concealed or changed, then the punishment of Allaah will befall the one who is guilty of doing these things, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And if he [Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] had forged a false saying concerning Us [Allaah], We surely would have seized him by his right hand (or with power and might), and then certainly should have cut off his life artery (aorta).’ [al-Haqqah 69:44-46]. One aspect of infallibility is that they (the Prophets) do not forget anything of that which Allaah has revealed to them, and thus no part of the revelation is lost.”

[Al-rusul wa’l-risaalaat (The Messengers and their missions), ‘Omar al-Ashqar, p. 97]

‘Omar al-Ashqar also said (op. cit., p.102): “The Prophets and Messengers may also strive to find the right judgement in the situations with which they are faced, and they judge according to what they themselves see and hear – they do not have knowledge of the Unseen. They may make an incorrect judgement, as happened to the Prophet of Allaah Dawood (David), who failed to do so, and Allaah helped his son Sulaymaan (Solomon) to come up with the right answer in that particular case. Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘There were two women, each of whom had a son. A wolf came and carried off the son of one of them, who said to the other, “The wolf has taken your son.” The other said, “No, he took your son.” They came to Dawood to ask him to judge between them, and he ruled in favour of the older woman. Then they went to Sulaymaan the son of Dawood and told him what had happened. He said, “Bring a knife and divide the child between them.” The younger woman said, “Do not do that, may Allaah have mercy on you! He is her son.” So Sulaymaan ruled in favour of the younger woman.’ (Reported by al-Bukhaari).

“The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained this story: Umm Salamah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) narrated that he heard a dispute going on at the door of his apartment, so he went out and told them: ‘I am no more than a human being. Disputing parties may come to me, and one of you may be more eloquent and persuasive than the other, so I may think that he is telling the truth and rule in favour of him. Whoever has a judgement in favour of him to the detriment of a fellow-Muslim’s rights, this is a piece of the Fire – let him take it or leave it.’”

When it comes to the idea of the Prophets committing major sins (kabaa’ir), Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said (in al-Fataawaa, 4/319): “…The belief that the Prophets are free of major sins, but not of minor sins, is the opinion of the majority of Islamic scholars and of all (Muslim) groups… It is the opinion of most mufassireen (commentators on the Qur’an), scholars of hadeeth and fuqaha’ (jurists).”

With regard to whether it is possible for the Prophets to commit minor sins, in Lawaami’ al-Anwaar al-Bahiyyah (2/214), al-Safaareeni quoted from Ibn Hamdaan who said in Nihaayat al-Mubtadi’een: “They are infallible in conveying the commands and message of Allaah, but they are not infallible in any other regard. They may make mistakes, forget things, or commit minor sins – according to the most well-known opinion (of the scholars) – but they will not be approved for these mistakes.”

The majority of scholars take the following as evidence to support their claim that the Prophets are not free from minor sins:

Adam’s sin in eating from the tree from which Allaah had forbidden him to eat. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And (remember) when We said to the angels, ‘Prostrate yourselves to Adam.’ They prostrated (all) except Iblees (Satan), who refused. Then We said, ‘O Adam! Verily, this is an enemy to you and to your wife. So let him not get you both out of Paradise, so that you be distressed in misery. Verily, you have (a promise from Us) that you will never be hungry therein nor naked. And you (will) suffer not from thirst therein nor from the sun’s heat. Then Shaytaan whispered to him, saying: ‘O Adam! Shall I lead you to the Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that shall never waste away?’ Then they both ate of the tree, and so their private parts appeared to them, and they began to stick on themselves leaves from Paradise for their covering. Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, so he went astray.” [Ta-Ha 20:116-121]

When Nooh prayed for his kaafir son, Allaah rebuked him for doing so, and taught him that this person was not a member of his family, and that this prayer was not a righteous deed on his part. So Nooh sought forgiveness from his Lord, repented and returned to Allaah: “Nooh said: ‘O my Lord! I seek refuge with You from asking You that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have Mercy on me, I would indeed be one of the losers.’” [Hood 11:47 – interpretation of the meaning].

When Dawood realized that he had been too quick to judge, without listening to what the second disputant had to say, he hastened to repent: “… and he sought Forgiveness of his Lord, and he fell down prostrate and turned (to Allaah) in repentance.” [Saad 38:24 – interpretation of the meaning].

Everyone, even the Prophets, is in need of the forgiveness of Allaah. Allaah has blessed His Prophets by forgiving their sins, and He has blessed our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as He said (interpretation of the meaning): “That Allaah may forgive you your sins of the past and the future, and complete His favour upon you, and guide you on the Straight Path.” [al-Fath 48:2]

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said, in al-Fataawaa 10/296, “Concerning the issue of forgiveness of the Prophets’ sins: Allaah, may He be exalted, does not speak of any Prophet in the Qur’aan, except He also mentions repentance and seeking forgiveness. For example, Adam and his wife said: ‘Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers.” [al-A’raaf 7:23 – interpretation of the meaning]. Nooh said: “O my Lord! I seek refuge with You from asking You that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have Mercy on me, I would indeed be one of the losers.’” [Hood 11:47 – interpretation of the meaning]. Ibraaheem said: “Our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and (all) the Believers on the Day when the reckoning will be established.” [Ibraaheem 14:41 – interpretation of the meaning] and “… You are our wali (Protector), so forgive us and have Mercy on us, for You are the Best of those who forgive. And ordain for us good in this world, and in the Hereafter. Certainly we have turned unto You…” [al-A’raaf 7:155-156 – interpretation of the meaning]. Moosa said: ‘…You are our wali (Protector), so forgive us and have Mercy on us, for You are the Best of those who forgive.’ [al-A’raaf 7:155 – interpretation of the meaning]. Then he [Ibn Taymiyah, may Allaah have mercy on him] gave further examples, but what we have mentioned here is sufficient. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1684/prophets perfect

Here is one more source for you:

Infallibility of Prophets

The Qur'an tells that all prophets and messengers of God are human beings. They are just like us in the various human biological functions. However, they are a very select type of people who can exemplify the message and provide a good model of belief and behavior for others.

There are similarities between the concept of prophethood in Islam and the concept of prophethood in Judaic and Christian traditions, like the general notion of God sending prophets or messengers to guide humanity, the concept of revelation and the whole notion of God inspiring messengers with the truth.
However, the main difference lies in what is called in Islam the ismah or the infallibility of prophets.

Differences Between Qur'anic and Biblical Profiles of Prophets

In the Old Testament, there are stories that attribute cardinal sins to great prophets. One is the story about Prophet Jacob and his father, Prophet Isaac.

In the book of Genesis, chapter 27, it is said that Esau, the elder son of Isaac, was the one who was supposed to inherit from Isaac and receive the blessing. But it is said that Jacob exploited the fact that his father was almost blind and went to him pretending to be Esau, and Isaac blessed Jacob instead of Esau by mistake

This story depicts a great prophet like Jacob as a deceiver who goes to his father and lies to him and pretends that he is the other son, in order to get that blessing. Such is totally not the behavior of a prophet.

In the Qur'an, Prophet Jacob is mentioned as a respected and holy messenger of God, not as a deceiver or cheater.

God says in the Qur'an what means:

[And We bestowed upon him Isaac, and Jacob as a grandson. Each of them We made righteous.] (Al-Anbiyaa' 21:72)

[And commemorate Our Servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, possessors of Power and Vision.] (Saad 38:45)

Another story in Exodus 32:1–6, tells that Prophet Aaron, the brother of Prophet Moses, participated in collecting gold to make the famous golden calf.

God in the Qur'an tells that the opposite actually happened and that Prophet Aaron was totally against the making of the calf:

[And Aaron indeed had told them beforehand: O my people! Ye are but being seduced therewith, for lo! your Lord is the Beneficent, so follow Me and obey My order.] (Taha 20:90)

Another story in 2 Samuel, chapter 11, talks about the incident when Prophet David went to the roof of the king's house and saw a beautiful woman bathing, so he sent to ask about her and was told that she was the wife of his commander, Uriah, who was away in the battlefield. So Prophet David sent for her and committed adultery with her.

It is claimed that when Uriah came back, Prophet David sent a message to another commander asking him to put Uriah in the hottest spot in the battlefield so that he might be slain and the crime would be hidden.

This story depicts Prophet David (peace be upon him) as a person who wanted to play all kinds of tricks to hide his crime, while Prophet David is mentioned in the Qur'an as someone who is faithful and near to God.

God says in the Qur'an what means:

[And remember Our servant David, the man of strength: for he ever turned (to Allah).] (Saad 38:17)

Infallibility of Prophets in the Qur'an

The Qur'an always indicates that prophets were specially chosen.
There is no single passage in the entire Qur'an that attributes cardinal sins that blemish the moral character of a prophet. In fact, the contrary is true. All prophets are mentioned with great deal of adoration and respect.

According to the Qur'an, a prophet is not somebody who just communicates the word of God to people. The prophet is a person who exemplifies in his own behavior the moral standards and actions of the message that he is preaching; he can't just preach something and do the contrary.

The Qur'an always indicates that prophets were specially chosen. They have more privileges over the pious people, who would not commit major sins that would blemish their major moral character.

To clarify that, God says in the Qur'an what means:

[Allah chooses messengers from angels and from men, for Allah is He Who hears and sees (all things).] (Al-Hajj 22:75)

[And We made them leaders, guiding (men) by Our Command, and We sent them inspiration to do good deeds, to establish regular prayers, and to practise regular charity; and they constantly served Us (and Us only).] (Al-Anbiyaa' 21:73)

So God's inspiration to prophets was not just dry philosophy, but it was also an inspiration in their own way of life. And this is the essence of the Islamic concept of ismah or the infallibility of all the messengers and prophets of God.

Infallibility Does Not Contradict Humanity

Human error in judgment does not constitute a violation of the basic moral law
Infallibility is not inconsistent with humanity because there is a distinction between errors and sins. There are at least three kinds of sin. The first type is sins that relate to deviation and error in belief in God, like believing in or inclining towards other gods.

The second type is what can be called cardinal sins like cheating, stealing, and committing adultery.

And the third type of sin is human error in judgment, which does not constitute a violation of the basic moral law, nor does it reflect any bad intention on the part of the prophet in making this error or mistake.

In the first type of sin prophets cannot be fallible because if the prophet makes an error in conveying the message of God, then he is not qualified, and the Qur'an stresses this by saying:

[And if the messenger were to invent any sayings in Our name, We should certainly seize him by his right hand, And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his heart: Nor could any of you withhold him (from Our wrath ).] (Al-Haqqah 69:44–47)

That's symbolic language that means that no prophet can fall into an error in conveying the proper pure belief as dictated or communicated to him by God, or else God would definitely stop him from making this falsification and leading people astray.

The second category, that of cardinal sins, cannot be attributed to prophets because people who are reasonably pious do not do these things, and it's unreasonable that the person selected by God, who is supposed to be a prophet and a messenger of God, would do these acts.

So all prophets and messengers of God are absolutely infallible with respect to the first and second types of sins.

But the third category, that of human errors in judgment in minor things with good intentions, does not contradict the infallibility of prophets. They are infallible in regards to their basic function as prophets and models of human behavior.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...ename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam/DIELayout#*

mali1

Islam was the first religion that gave rights to the "slave". A "slave" was equal to his master and could pray together. If ou compare it to the present day, there are communities in India that are not allowed to the temple to this day. In the west, they have spearate churches for the whites and blacks as initially the blacks were not allowed to pray int he white churches.
My two cents.

ajazz

Mohammed is referred to in the Quran as having a sublime nature[1], and this is usually construed to mean that Mohammed is an infallible[2] or perfect[3] man.

Mohammed owned slaves ("... a black slave of Allah's Apostle was at the top if its stairs"[4]), which is now rightly condemned as immoral and illegal in most countries.

This leads to my first question: how is it possible for Muslims to reform Islam to reject practices carried out by Mohammed during his life, and approved (tacitly or explicitly) in the Quran itself?

As far as I can tell it is wrong for a Muslim to condemn slavery, as it was a facet of Mohammed's life, and tacitly permitted in the Quran ("And free those slaves you possess who wish to buy their freedom after a written undertaking ..."[1]). Condemning slavery constitutes a direct denial of the infallibility of Mohammed and the Quran itself.

1 http://www.mlivo.com/translations/Ahmed Ali.htm
2 http://www.ezsoftech.com/Islamic/infallible1a.asp
3 http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/muhammad/perfect_man.html
4 http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/091.sbt.html

Assalamualykum

regarding your question about slavery read this thread please

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36125

Salem9022

This Individual should be Banned, He didn't Respond to the Last comment He Made, when we Gave him the Answer, I don't think this Individual is Here for an Answer But Rather Just copy And Paste Job.

I Still need to know why, when He said that he is Posting Qur'an and Hadith, that he Qouted for Us Ishaaq previously?

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
This Individual should be Banned, He didn't Respond to the Last comment He Made, when we Gave him the Answer, I don't think this Individual is Here for an Answer But Rather Just copy And Paste Job.

I Still need to know why, when He said that he is Posting Qur'an and Hadith, that he Qouted for Us Ishaaq previously?

salam aleikum
Brother lets not jump to conclusions right away ,lets do our best to answer his question ...

waaleikum salam

cmelbouzaidi

Beautifully answered by Brother Ayman and all the other brothers and sisters above, :ma: I have nothing significant to add as I think these answers give great details..... Slavery was stamped out slowly, just like alcohol was not banned immediately with the beginning of Islam. This is why so many African-Americans reverted to Islam during the last century, they learned of the emancipation that had been granted to slaves with the teachings of Qur'an so many centuries ago.

May I remind the inquirer that in this country, the KKK in the USA misuses the bible to spew hatred but you do not see Muslims accusing the average bible reader or Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him, of anything sinister.:astag:

Please do not pick and choose quotations here and there to try to find something negative in Islam. Using words out of context is a mere trick but obviously, Praise be to God, we have a lot of Sisters and Brothers on this website well-schooled in Qur'an and Hadith, ready to give an honest explanation :)

Duncan,

The subject of your post assumes facts not in evidence. I hope you didn't mean it as a flame bait. Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did not endorse slavery. He simply regulated and reformed it in preparation of ending it. Ending slavery by a decree would have been impractical because it was an established social and economic institution in all countries and cultures at the time. The gradual approach followed by the prophet was the right way to do it. The Quran is the only scripture which explicitly orders its followers to free the slaves, an unheard of proposition in the seventh century!

Abraham Lincoln's decree to free the American slaves, as commendable as it is, was unwise in its abruptness. It caused the bloodiest war in American history. It created resentment in the hearts of white Americans that has not yet been erased. And it got him killed! Lincoln would have done much better had he followed the example of prophet Muhammad.

The premise you start with is also wrong. The prophet is indeed highly esteemed by God and by Muslims but he was not infallible. Verse 68:4 does not say he had a sublime nature. It says he is "on a grand conduct." That is he had a grand character and manners. God has reprimanded him a number of times for things he said or did or failed to say or do. God repeatedly instructs the prophet in the Quran to emphasize to people that he is "but a human inspired with the fact that your God is one God." (18:110)

Thus your conclusion is also wrong. Islam does not need reform. Muslims do. And it is not wrong for a Muslim to condemn slavery. How did arrive at that conclusion? In order to make such statement you must provide a direct text from the Quran or the Sunna which says "Do not condemn slavery!" Failure to do so kills your argument.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:
Thank you all who replied and presented their answers so beautifully.
I really hope that he asked this question for the sake of knowledge, but many people who put questions like these do it for wicked reasons. And as Allah (SWT) says that wicked moves usually turns back on them.

So, I wonder what they will do about this: http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=9430

Do they have any answer?
:wasalam:

duncan_bayne

I posted a detailed response yesterday to TheHumbleWun, but it hasn't yet shown up on the thread. I've noticed there is a delay inbetween posting and the post appearing; should I wait longer, or submit again?

sha587

Shahid abdullah
I posted a detailed response yesterday to TheHumbleWun, but it hasn't yet shown up on the thread. I've noticed there is a delay inbetween posting and the post appearing; should I wait longer, or submit again?

Post it again.

duncan_bayne

So, my understanding is now that: Mohammed could & did commit sins, but as a prophet of God these were limited only to minor sins; he could not commit cardinal sins or sins involving religion. Therefore it's proper for Muslims to reject practices endorsed by Mohammed, but those practices could at most be considered minor sins.

Is there necessarily a relationship between the type of sin (e.g. minor, cardinal, or religious) and the treatment of that sin by Islamic society?

Coming back to the concrete example of slavery, if an Islamic body were to prohibit slavery, would slave-ownership be treated as a less serious crime than, say, adultery (one of the examples of cardinal sins mentioned by TheHumbleWun)?

sha587

Shahid abdullah
So, my understanding is now that: Mohammed could & did commit sins, but as a prophet of God these were limited only to minor sins; he could not commit cardinal sins or sins involving religion. Therefore it's proper for Muslims to reject practices endorsed by Mohammed, but those practices could at most be considered minor sins.

Exactly which sin you are talking about. And what is all about religious sin and other. How did you make categ.

Coming back to the concrete example of slavery, if an Islamic body were to prohibit slavery, would slave-ownership be treated as a less serious crime than, say, adultery (one of the examples of cardinal sins mentioned by TheHumbleWun)?

I think you did not read the answer of "thehumblewun". I will suggest you should read the post again. Try to understand the reason of slavery at that time.

And by the way one more thing is it possible to analyze the action of one person on the basis of existing system of morality which is created by modern culture which actually deny many of the moral values that were practiced for thousand years.

Here are some more facts. If you really want to understand islam than read quran and Islam from true resources. It is critical.

QUESTION: What is the Islamic law with regard to slave-women? Was It permissible to have relations with these slave-women without a formal marriage ceremony?

ANSWER: Firstly, it should be borne in mind that slavery was not something that was introduced by Islam; on the contrary, it was something that had its roots planted long before the advent of Islam. It would not be an exaggeration to state that slavery is probably as old as war itself, because it is one of the consequences of war. Thus, slavery apparently first reared its head with the first wars that took place an the face of earth. War is a factor that makes soft men stern, kind men harsh and delicate men rugged. A man who cannot bear to see the sight of blood under normal circumstances becomes capable of shedding the blood of hundreds under the pressure of war. Those who were not killed in warfare, used to be taken as prisoners of war. The pages of history will show that many alternative, expedient methods were used through the ages to deal with prisoners of war. Some used to be executed while others would be set free, with or without a ransom. Then, there were others who were neither executed nor set free. These were enslaved.

When Islam came and prospered, its power was challenged by the enemies of Islam and the need to go to war arose. By that time, slavery had virtually become an international custom. It was also rife among the Arabs from the days of darkness and ignorance. Thus, abolishing it instantateously would have caused chaos and pandemonium among the Arab people. Hence, a process of gradual extirpation had to be implemented. Moreover, if the Muslims would set all their enemy-prisoners free and tolerate their fellow Muslims being captured and enslaved by the enemies, it would have lead to a sharp decrease in the Muslim military force and given a great advantage to the enemy forces which was something that the Muslims could not afford. Furthermore, it is a well known fact that warfare tactics used by one side are often countered by the opposing side in order to maintain a balance of power. Hence, wartime diplomacy necessitated the enslaving of prisoners.

Moreover, there are many wrongs and sins for which the liberation of a slave serves as a compensation and atonement. This was a further incentive for the extirpation of slavery. Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam also taught that whosoever teaches good manners to his slave girl, adorns her with politeness and good education, then frees her and gets married to her, for him there is double recompense and reward. These encouraging teachings served as incentives towards the emancipation of slaves and slaves were liberated by the thousands. Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam himself freed 63 slaves, Hazrat Abu Bakr Radhiallahu Anhu freed 63, Hazrat Abdur-Rahman bin Auf Radhiallahu Anhu 30,000; Hazrat Hakim bin Huzam Radhiallahu Anhu 100; Hazrat Abbas Radhiallahu Anhu 70; Hazrat Ayesha Radhiallahu Anha 69; Hazrat Abdullah bin Umar Radhiallahu Anhu 100; Hazrat Uthman Radhiallahu Anhu used to free one slave every Friday and he would say that he would tree any slave who performed his prayers with humility. Hazrat Zul-Kilah Radhiallahu Anhu freed 8,000 slaves in a single day.

Hazrat Umar Radhiallahu Anhu passed certain laws during his Khilafat which led to the emancipation of thousands of slaves, and to the prevention of certain specific forms of slavery. Some of the edicts that he issued:

1. All the apostate tribes that were enslaved during the Khilaafat of Hazrat Abu Bakr Radhiallahu Anhu were to be freed.

2. A Zimmi (protected non-Muslim subject of an Islamic state) should not be enslaved.

3. Arabs will not be enslaved.

4. Those who had been enslaved during the days of ignorance (prior to the advent of Islam) and had lived to witness the Islamic era, should redeem themselves from slavery by paying their costs (their value) to their owners whether they were willing or not.

As a result of all these laws, there came a time when slavery was totally extirpated. But of course, this extirpation came about after a gradual process because that was the only safe and expedient way of tackling the problem.
end quote.

Hope it will clear your misconception about Islam but even after reading these post you still have some question , you are welcomed to ask.

tabaria

Slavery still exists in every country. Don't be naive. War really isn't that great an activity either, yet everyday for the past thousands of years people have been at war. You have to be realistic in the way you approach things.

Say if you freed all the slaves at the time. With no assets and with everyone looking down at you how could you stand a stance? Remember before Islam slaves where regarded by the Arabs just as the Europeans regarded slaves... disposable and not equal to them.

Didn't the U.S. have a civil war about slavery? It's clearly not that easy to abolish it. Especially when your the minority.

Is there necessarily a relationship between the type of sin (e.g. minor, cardinal, or religious) and the treatment of that sin by Islamic society?

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was sent as a mercy to mankind by Allah swt. The practices of Prophet Muhammad in regards to conveying the commands and messages of Allah were infallible, but in any other regard they were not.
They may make mistakes, forget things, or commit minor sins – but they will NOT be approved for these mistakes.

Since you seem to have read about the life of the Prophet (pbuh) can you please tell me what practices are bothering you so that we can clear this up for you?

There is a difference between minor and major sins. Adultery, suicide, associating partners to Allah swt are examples of major sins. Touching, hugging the opposite sex are examples of minor sins.

I think you are trying too hard to understand something that is very simple and easy to acknowledge.

Whether adultery or slave-ownership is worse in crime - Allah will punish severely those who commitmajor sins (adultery) in the next life. Slavery was never initiated by Muslims. If one commits this prohibited act, then only Allah would be his Judge. How the slave-owner treats those slaves and what his purpose for the slaves, only Allah knows their intentions are and what is in their breast. Everyone will stand before Allah on the Day of Judgment and none will be dealt with unjustly.

The point is, try to abstain from as much sin as possible. Live a pious life, ask for forgiveness. Allah is Most Merciful & Most Forgiving.

Repentance for Major & Minor Sins

Major Sins