Question: Repaying my cousin

Mohammed-Hamdan

As Salamu Alaykum,

I would I appreciate some help in regards to this issue I'm having. Me and my cousin have been the best of friends for two years and I had done a lot for him/been there as a friend for him as the family don't like him or me being around him due to his attitude and behavior. At the beginning of this year, we agreed to put money together to start a business. I left the money with someone who I trusted in which we ended up losing, the amounts aren't too great about 15k for him and 30k for me. So we both lost some money, but I didn't inform him as he had a slight aggressive behavior and didn't know how he will take it. For about 8 months he didn't know, but the whole time I was still trying to get us into a business and figured I would tell him after we achieved that and I would pay him back personally.

Right before we found this business and we were going to buy it, he ended up finding out that I no longer had the money after he got a few people he made a $1000 bet with to intimidate me. He then got into his aggressive behavior that I assumed and I told him that we can be reasonable about this and I'll pay you back as I'm employed full time. He wouldn't answer my phone calls/texts and found some people to call me and threaten to come after me if I didn't pay the money back straight away. He took it further and brought some people with weapons to my grandparents house to "spread his message".

Anyway the whole family got together and forced it upon to me pay him back and at a rate that I can't really afford. They didn't consider the fact I lost money too or how much I could afford but they said for my own benefit I should pay back the amount. Sorry for the long essay but I want to know am I obliged to pay him back (as I understand in Islam if two people enter into business, they should understand they can either profit from the business or lose?) Or because I lied/kept it from him that I no longer had the money, have I done something very bad? Keeping in mind we were just about to buy a business and If I can't afford it what should I do?

Thank you brothers.