Reverting

cadette

Asslaam mu alaykum

Maybe my choice of title is wrong.

You see, I was born Muslim in a family that always had an Islamic presence. We were educated in Islam.

I read/heard (can't remember) a while ago an imaam speaking about truely becoming a Muslim. What he explained was that even if you are a born Muslim there needs to come a realisation that you want to be a MUslim. Not just going through the motions on automatic and doing things because you were taught to do it. According to him, you need to be passionate about practicing Islam to fully benefit from doing it. After thinking about this information that seemed so logical and so basic, I realised that it made absolute sence.

Although I would read some of my salaahs and would make sure I never ate anything haraam, I never really felt a need to do it regularly.

After comtemplating this peice of information, I started wearing the hijaab properly, covering all my hair everytime I left the house. Also started praying my salaahs on time regardless of where I am, or making sure I was either near a mosque or home at salaah times so that I wouldn't find an excuse not to pray. I find that I now have a yearing to do more, pray more, change my life more towards a more Islamic lifestyle. I'm at the point where I feel guilty when I'm even thinking something wrong.

So my point... I think I'm finally reverting to Islam

Insha-allah it will last and get stronger.

Submitter

:salam2:

I think this is a question of intentions I guess. As you say sis, one may have been brought up in a Muslim family being taught one should pray, fast, give zakah, etc, but is actually only doing these things like a robot.

To be honest, it was the same with me only until a few years ago. I never asked myself "why?". Why does one have to pray? Why does one have to fast? Are you praying and fasting only because you were brought up to know it's what you're "supposed" to do? Or are you praying and fasting for the sake of Allah and do you understand the wisdom behind worship?

It's good to know you have changed for the better sis :)

:wasalam:

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:ma: sis,:arabi1:

May Allah(Swt) guide us all on the right and protect us from evil temptation. (Ameen)
:muslim_child:

brighten

seeker of knowledge

Dear Cadette
it is a long journey for each and everyone of us but inshaallah with istiqamah and good intention, Allah will bless us with the nur of hidayah to be steadfast in our religion.

However I also believe that you must have control of the authorship of your own destiny. The pen that writes your life story, Must be Held in your own hand.

A word of wisdom i hold dear to myself..

“If you see someone older than you then respect him saying, ‘He has beaten me to Islâm and righteous action.’ If you see someone younger than you then respect him saying to yourself, ‘I have beaten him in sins.’ If the people honour you then say, ‘That is from the grace of Allâh, but I do not deserve it.’ If they degrade you then say , ‘This happened as a consequence of a previous sin.’ If you throw a pebble at your neighbor's dog, then you have harmed him.” [Bakr ibn Abdullah al-Muzani].

May Allah bless your heart and soul.

wassalam

Kayote

Very nice topic.

While I donot think the words 'revert' truly apply in these cases (I went through exactly the same as yourself) simply because from what I have read & seen about reverts, the amount of confusion, pain a revert has to go through, I fear I may not have been able to pass that test had I been born a non-believer. Alhumdulillah I was born into a muslim family.

Having said the above, I strongly believe that being born a muslim carries an enormous amount of responsibility to Islam & Allah (SHW) as it is our duty to invite non-believers to Islam.

I know many muslims at work (we are about 7 among approx. 200+) and most of them dont pray at all. Many drink alcohol & have girlfriends etc. Being a muslim is not a title thats bestowed upon us, but its something we constantly have to strive towards & in the true sense of the word gain the title of a 'momin' (which only Allah can give & Allah knows of).

Oem Soufiane

salaam aleikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuh,

revert is a perfect word, because that's exactly what it is, returning to islam and Allah swt. May I notice that we all are reverted muslims, even if we aren't raised as muslims. We all have our fitrah, wich means you are born a muslim whoever you are, even if your parents are jews.

Second i say to kayote: you said i know many muslims at work who don't pray at all. Those people aren't muslims, if you don't pray you go beyond de pales of islam!! The difference between being a kafir or a believer is prayer. If these people start praying and striving to do everything Allah swt obeyed us to do, they become reverted muslims

Saifadin_Qutuz

Nemesis of Decadence
:bismillah1:

Salam.

I always say sister.. that "Seek the truth, and the truth seeks to seek you" :) May alla forgive us all.

Kayote

revert is a perfect word, because that's exactly what it is, returning to islam and Allah swt. May I notice that we all are reverted muslims, even if we aren't raised as muslims. We all have our fitrah, wich means you are born a muslim whoever you are, even if your parents are jews.

Second i say to kayote: you said i know many muslims at work who don't pray at all. Those people aren't muslims, if you don't pray you go beyond de pales of islam!! The difference between being a kafir or a believer is prayer. If these people start praying and striving to do everything Allah swt obeyed us to do, they become reverted muslims

Thankyou for that. I insist on disagreeing on the reversion issue :arabi1: as I never disbelieved in Allah but merely accepted that He (SHW) is there for us. Now that Im having to do the research about Islam, Im finding what Islam is all about & What/Why we do what Allah (SHW) & through Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has ordered us to do.

So what Im trying to get at is that I never dis-believed (Alhumdulillah) in Allah (SHW) but never bothered to search or take interest. So I was still a muslim (I offered prayers occasionally), yes probably a very weak muslim but nontheless a muslim.

As far as these people at work are concerned, Allah knows best. Who are we to judge them. Yes, when the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said that the difference between a muslim & non-muslim is prayers, he meant to highlight the massive importance of prayers. Im sure, as soon as theese people fall into trouble, these people call out to Allah (SHW) in tears/cries. All we can do is pray for them. One of them stays away from me because I talk & talk about Islam with him & he talks & talks about girls/women etc. He may be a muslim but there isnt much common topic to discuss between us, it seems.

Oem Soufiane

Fair enough, i agree to disagree;) Allah knows best and it's indeed not our issue if they are muslims or not, alhamdulilah we are inshallah,

salaam aleikum