Reverts - Curious

bilalswife1983

Assalamu Alaikum everyone!

This post is mostly directed towards reverts but of course, anyone is welcome to join. I'm just curious......what made you decide to become a Muslim? What was that one deciding factor? Also, as reverts, we've all had to give things up. I think I may have already seen a post like this, but what was the hardest thing for you to give up?

To answer my own questions:

The deciding factor for me: Worshipping and obeying one God and no one else is the most common sense thing I ever heard. The way of life just amazes me and is exactly how I want to live. Reading the Qur'an is an amazing experience in itself and it seems like when a question pops in your head, just keep reading and it will be answered. This is actually a loaded question and I think there is definetly more than one factor that made me want to become a Muslim. I could write a novel on it, lol. So I guess feel free to go into as much detail as you want or just name one thing, either way, I just want to know.

Hardest thing to give up: Short-sleeve t-shirts and maybe pork. I'm dreading summer. Temperatures range from 92 degrees (Fahrenheit) to around 103 degrees (Fahrenheit) in the summer and the humidity is awful! But I just keep in mind that a bunch of you live in other countries that I"m almost positive are a lot hotter and you all survive so I'll be okay. Pork hasn't been all that hard, just in deciding what to grab for breakfast. I'm a meat-eater and I don't know where to find Halal meat in my area so until I find some, it's vegetarian meals for me (blah!).

I know that there are more important things that we could be talking about but I just want to hear about some other people's experiences. I'm interested to read your responses!

OsMaN_93

Here to help
im a natural muslim :lol:(born muslim)
astonishngly i found salah to be the easiest lol :D
lying was the hardest :astag:

:salam2:

ja_tu_miluju

The one thing that really piqued my interest toward Islam was its regard toward us women. We are respected in Islam unlike any other religion, and I loved that there isn't the hipocracy I saw as a Mormon. Also I wanted to be a part of a religion that said, it doesn't matter if you're a Christian, Muslim, or a Jew, as long as you believe in God you are doing well. As a Mormon I was always taught that if you didn't believe in the LDS Church (Latter Day Saints; Church of) you were wrong, and you were not going to heaven. Needless to say I did not agree.

The hardest thing to give up was the way of dress mostly, but not because I miss(ed) it, but because I am not exactly wealthy and I have been having trouble finding ways to make the clothing I already own Modest enough. I have resorted to wearing only a few shirts I own and trying to find ways to cover from navel to knees over my jeans.
Another thing that was hard to give up was probably Pork. I had never really loved it, but bacon and sausage were some of my favorite things to eat for breakfasts. I do well now though, until my mother decides to make it that is ;-)

MashAllah I have been learning so much and I am very happy in this new way of life. Allahu Akbar! :tti_sister:

gazkour

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

The deciding factor : It was really not just a factor, it was just that everything made sense and answered all my questions. SubhanaAllah!

The hardest thing to give up
: to eat with my left hand. I'm left handed and still finding it hard!

bilalswife1983

Thanks Osman! So are you saying that Salah was the easiest to give up?
;-) Haha! I'm just messing with you! :lol:

ja_tu_miluju, the treatment of women also appealed to me. It's crazy how before I began learning about Islam, I felt sorry for Muslim women (thanks to the wonderful media and how they always represent the truth! lol). I always thought "Those poor women! They have to cover themselves! Can't be educated! How awful a life that must be!" WOW! Was I wrong?!

As for dressing, right now you can find a lot of longsleeved t-shirts on sale and even some T-shirts. My dress has mainly come down to layered shirts....a long sleeve under a short sleeve (of a different color). I don't know what else to wear!! But seriously, I found long sleeves at target for around $5.00 and some at Wal-Mart for around $4.00. A co-worker of mine who has no idea I've become a Muslim said to me "Wow, you're really into the layered look lately aren't you?" I just giggled and said "Yeah, something like that."

As for the pork, I completely understand! Sometimes I would be in a hurry and I would stop by McDonald's or Sonic for breakfast. Choices are: sausage, bacon, or more sausage, lol. Needless to say, I no longer go there for breakfast, grab a yogurt and a banana on the way out the door! But when you think about how unhealthy pork really is, I think that makes it easier.

This stuff may seem silly to some who were born Muslim but I think to reverts, it can be a real challenge. Food and clothing are probably some of the easiest things compared to others. But even if it's difficult, you just realize that it's not important and it is well worth it. I, too, am very happy with this new way of life.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
The deciding factor : It was really not just a factor, it was just that everything made sense and answered all my questions. SubhanaAllah!

That is really weird. Who said you can't eat with your left hand?
As far as i Know if the reason for eating with certain hand and not with the other is, because of sanitation. (I could be totally wrong). Most people are right handed, hence they would use left hand for nature call, but if you're left handed you would use right hand for nature call. Does that make any sense? It would only be the opposite!
Can any1 clear up the confusion? I'm really confused.
As far as I know that if you're left handed you can eat with left hand, but then you take care of nature call with right hand.

p.s. I though the food of Jews and Christians were allowed to us? Maybe I'm confusing it with women. Well I never really have problem concerning food, there are alot of Arab markets near my city, and all of them sell halal food.

Shoaib

aLiph

if you're left handed, you dont need to give up that if you are using spoon/fork/knife. Because Allah made us special as khalifah on earth. All Allah's creations are good and have hikmah behind it.

unless you are using hand, you should practice using right hand then :).

p/s: i bet you can draw..lol..

salam..

Ibn_Syena

Peace...

if you're left handed, you dont need to give up that if you are using spoon/fork/knife. Because Allah made us special as khalifah on earth. All Allah's creations are good and have hikmah behind it.

unless you are using hand, you should practice using right hand then :).

p/s: i bet you can draw..lol..

salam..

As Salamo Alekum

Well, I believe he still have to use his right hand even if he's using spoon/fork/knife set :)

I guess you brother should look for a Fatwa on the net for this, I'm sorry, I'm not as good as other members here bringing out online Fatwas...may some other brother or sister help.

Allah Hafiz
Salam

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

This September will make it two years since converting to Islam fro Judaism, alhumdulillah.

Best thing about converting: Finally being able to pray salat and practice something I had been reasearching for two years.

Hardest thing: Losing my family and having a weird "gypsy" feeling during the holidays. I had been raised in a rich culture and was always so happy when the holidays rolled around and I could visit with my whole clan. The last two Ramadans have been almost sad and lonely as I was in the Caribbean (med school) and there are no other Muslims besides students. We would have small iftars and it wasn't very joyous as most Muslims were horribly homesick.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

aLiph

As Salamo Alekum

Well, I believe he still have to use his right hand even if he's using spoon/fork/knife set :)

I guess you brother should look for a Fatwa on the net for this, I'm sorry, I'm not as good as other members here bringing out online Fatwas...may some other brother or sister help.

Allah Hafiz
Salam

Salam,

well, from my ustaz(a.k.a. imam), he told, under special circumstances, it will be like the same case as rukhsah in salah..
using the spoon/fork/knife/ on the left hand isnt wrong(not even a sin) if he/she was born naturally left-handed. we cant forcing him/her to eat using right hand properly.

Islam is not a force religion. remember, we can salah everywhere on earth. ablution using dust(tayyamum). you can do salah if you are handicap in sit position, with your eyes movement and many more. those are about salah, the most important thing in Islam. how can we force about eating ethics if he/she isnt capable to do it especially an adults who just revert to Islam?

i have a left-handed friend but he eats using right hand(bare hand). but when using spoon/fork/knife to eat, he use his left hand.

i read the link, all the circumstances were using bare hand..

btw, you can practice if you want. it is a good move though.
but if the problem is about using left hand(just bare hand) to eat, its a different case to discuss about.

wallahu'alam. i speak what i have learned from my ustaz. In malaysia, ustaz is a Islam lecturer who teach Islam. Some of them also known as Ulama' which also an Imam :).

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be unto you] sister ja_tu_miluju,

You wrote the following in post #3:

Also I wanted to be a part of a religion that said, it doesn't matter if you're a Christian, Muslim, or a Jew, as long as you believe in God you are doing well.

Islam certainly does not say that. After the advent of the prophethood of Muhammad [peace be upon him], those who receive the message of Islam in a clear way have an obligation to become Muslims. If they don't -and they die as non Muslims- then they will enter Hell to abide therein forever.

Allah the Almighty said:

Verily, those who disbelieve in Allâh and His Messengers and wish to make distinction between Allâh and His Messengers (by believing in Allâh and disbelieving in His Messengers) saying, "We believe in some but reject others," and wish to adopt a way in between. They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment. And those who believe in Allâh and His Messengers and make no distinction between any of them (Messengers),We shall give them their rewards; and Allâh is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 4:150-152]

And Allah the Exalted said:

And whosoever does not believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم), then verily, We have prepared for the disbelievers a blazing Fire.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 48:13]

For further information about those who have not received the message of Islam in a clear way, please click on the following link to read a post of mine on this subject:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60388&postcount=29

I believe the following fatwa [religious opinion] will further clarify matters to you. It's an answer to question no. 2912 [Who are the Jews and Christians who will enter Paradise?]:

Question:

For the time being, I do not have the resources to quote the exact Quranic verse, nor can I tell you what sura it has been taken from. However, I believe it is a common verse. I understand little Arabic; hence I found that in English. The verse can be interpretted as such:

The godfearing Jews, muslims and christians will not have fear (on that day).

I am not exactly sure of the bracketted phrase.

Now my question to you: is it mistranliteration?

We know that christians and jews in general cannot be hoped to have any sanction in the life hereafter. So, how do we understand the verse?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

What you refer to in your question is mentioned in two similar aayaat in the Qur’aan. The first of them is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Verily, those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.” [al-Baqarah 2:62]

The second is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Surely, those who believe, those who are the Jews and the Sabians and the Christians – whosoever believed in Allaah and the Last Day, and worked righteousness, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.” [al-Maa’idah 5:69]

In order to understand these aayaat correctly, we need to refer to the scholars of Tafseer (Qur’aanic commentary). The great Imaam Ismaa’eel ibn Katheer, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in his tafseer of the aayah from Soorat al-Baqarah:

“Allaah, may He be exalted, points out that whoever of the previous nations did well and was obedient, will have a good reward, and this will be the case for everyone who follows the Unlettered Prophet [Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) until the Hour comes – he will have eternal happiness, and they will not fear what they are going to face, nor will they grieve for what they have left behind. As Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘No doubt! Verily, the awliya’ of Allaah [i.e., those who believe in the Oneness of Allaah and fear Allaah much, and love Allaah much], no fear shall come upon them nor shall they grieve.’ [Yoonus 10:62]. And Allaah tells us what the angels say to the believers at the time of death (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Verily, those who say, “Our Lord is Allaah,” then they istaqaamu [stood straight, i.e., truly followed Islam], on them the angels will descend (at the time of their death) (saying): “Fear not, nor grieve! But receive the glad tidings of Paradise which you have been promised!”’ [Fussilat 41:30]

As far as the Jews are concerning, their faith meant believing in the Tawraat (original Torah) and following the way of Moosa (peace be upon him) until ‘Eesa came, after which whoever continued to follow the Torah and the way of Moosa, and did not leave this and follow ‘Eesa, was doomed. As far as the Christians are concerned, their faith meant believing in the Injeel (original Gospel) and following the laws of ‘Eesa; whoever did this was a believer whose faith was acceptable to Allaah, until Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came, after which whoever did not follow Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and leave the way of ‘Eesa and the Injeel that he had been following before, was doomed.

The aayah (interpretation of the meaning), “And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85] is a statement that Allaah will not accept any way or deed from anyone, after sending His Final Messenger, except those that are in accordance with the laws of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Prior to this, however, anyone who followed the Prophet of his own time was on the Straight Path of salvation. So the Jews were those who followed Moosa (peace be upon him) and referred to the Tawraat for judgement at that time. When Allaah sent ‘Eesa (peace be upon him), the Children of Israel were obliged to follow him and obey him, and so they and others who followed him became Christians.. When Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as the Final Prophet and a Messenger to all the children of Adam, all of mankind was obliged to believe in him and obey him, and refrain from what he prohibited. Those who did so are the true believers. The ummah (nation) of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) are called the believers because of their deep eemaan (faith) and conviction, and because they believe in all the past Prophets and in the prophesied events that are yet to come.”

Commenting on the aayah in Soorat al-Baqarah, Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“What is meant is that every group believed in Allaah and the Last Day, which is the appointed Day of Reckoning, and did righteous deeds. But after Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was sent to both mankind and the jinn, true belief can only be in accordance with the way of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Whoever follows his way will not fear the future or grieve for what they leave behind.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2912&ln=eng

Regards,

Bluegazer

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
As Salamu Alekum dear brother aLiph

Jazak Allah Khyran for your reply and details, and yes of course I know what Ustaz is, but, um well, actually, if it's so important for you, I think we still need to find a fatwah from a SCHOLAR about the "born left handed" people. If I came to find such fatwah I'll send it for sure..
May Allah guide us all to what's righteous...

for us born muslim ,we look up at you reverts , you are realy heros,
because if we are not born muslims(god forbid):astag: who knows where we end up
:astag:

Yeah, I second you brother in this..

In this difficult and harsh world we'r living in, and these hostile circumstances, Allah only knows where we could be now... You guys are real Great, may Allah give you all more guidance and patience...

Alhamdullah for the ne'mat (blessing) of Islam, which is surely the greatest.

Wasalam

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah!

Salaam,

This September will make it two years since converting to Islam fro Judaism, alhumdulillah.

Best thing about converting: Finally being able to pray salat and practice something I had been reasearching for two years.

Hardest thing: Losing my family and having a weird "gypsy" feeling during the holidays. I had been raised in a rich culture and was always so happy when the holidays rolled around and I could visit with my whole clan. The last two Ramadans have been almost sad and lonely as I was in the Caribbean (med school) and there are no other Muslims besides students. We would have small iftars and it wasn't very joyous as most Muslims were horribly homesick.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

May the help of Allah be with you and all those reverts who sacrificed the relationship of their families and the luxurious lifestyle for accepting Islam.

I know it is alot easier said than done, but if you look you are paying this price to buy the friendship of Allah and it is a price worth paying if one has to.

May Allah grant you all happiness and success in both worlds. Ameen

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom, the deciding factor for me was after reading the qur'an for the first time and learning about prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) last sermon. How he was such a visionary and a fair and just human being, a prophet for mankind.

Alhamdulillah, nothing haram has been hard to give up. I did kind of miss decorating the Christmas tree with the family (may sound bizarre to those Muslim born, but it was something we did as children together in my family every year). However, at this point, that seems very trivial, Alhamdulillah!

bilalswife1983

As Salamu Alekum dear brother aLiph

Jazak Allah Khyran for your reply and details, and yes of course I know what Ustaz is, but, um well, actually, if it's so important for you, I think we still need to find a fatwah from a SCHOLAR about the "born left handed" people. If I came to find such fatwah I'll send it for sure..
May Allah guide us all to what's righteous...

Yeah, I second you brother in this..

In this difficult and harsh world we'r living in, and these hostile circumstances, Allah only knows where we could be now... You guys are real Great, may Allah give you all more guidance and patience...

Alhamdullah for the ne'mat (blessing) of Islam, which is surely the greatest.

Wasalam

for us born muslim ,we look up at you reverts , you are realy heros,
because if we are not born muslims(god forbid):astag: who knows where we end up
:astag:

May Allah bless you both, I'm sure that being born Muslim and reverting to Islam both has its challenges.

Assalamu alaikom, the deciding factor for me was after reading the qur'an for the first time and learning about prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) last sermon. How he was such a visionary and a fair and just human being, a prophet for mankind.

Alhamdulillah, nothing haram has been hard to give up. I did kind of miss decorating the Christmas tree with the family (may sound bizarre to those Muslim born, but it was something we did as children together in my family every year). However, at this point, that seems very trivial, Alhamdulillah!

I hadn't even thought about decorating the Christmas tree. We always did it as a family too but now we can do OTHER things as a family.