Rugby man woke up gay after stroke

Seeker-of-truth

A 19-stone rugby player who suffered a stroke ditched his fiancee after claiming he woke up gay.

Chris Birch, 26, has since slimmed down to a lithe 11 stone, retrained as a hairdresser and moved in with a teenage boyfriend. He now works at J's Hair Salon in Ystrad Mynach, south Wales, after giving up his job in a bank.

The freak life-changing accident happened during a rugby training session when he attempted a back flip and broke his neck. His parents and girlfriend endured an anxious bedside vigil waiting to discover whether he would recover from the accident.

The man who eventually emerged was different in almost every way and found he hated sport and was no longer interested in women. Plans to get married and settle down were dropped as he embarked on a new life as an openly gay man.

"I was gay when I woke up and I still am," Mr Birch said, speaking from J' Hair Salon.

He has also detailed the life-changing impact of his stroke in a series of newspapers.

"It sounds strange but when I came round I immediately felt different. I wasn't interested in women any more," he is reported as saying.

"I had never been attracted to a man before - I'd never even had any gay friends. But I didn't care about who I was before, I had to be true to my feelings.

"Suddenly I hated everything about my old life. I didn't get on with my friends, I hated sport and found my job boring.

"I started to take more pride in my appearance, bleached my hair and started working out. I went from a 19-stone skinhead to an 11-stone preened man."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rugby-man-woke-gay-stroke-104736812.html

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
That's a crazy story. He was probably gay before the stroke and is just using the stroke as an excuse to come out of the closet now.

a_stranger

:salam2:

ظَهَرَ الْفَسَادُ فِي الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ أَيْدِي النَّاسِ لِيُذِيقَهُم بَعْضَ الَّذِي عَمِلُوا لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْجِعُونَ

سورة الروم Quran

30:41 Mischief has appeared on land and sea because of (the meed) that the hands of men have earned, that ((Allah)) may give them a taste of some of their deeds: in order that they may turn back (from Evil).

septithol

Banned
I would love to hear the medical explanation behind this.

It's medically possible. There have been studies done on homosexuals, both men and women. The brains of a lot of them are 'wired' differently than ours, such that when given pheromones (scent chemicals) of men and women to smell, the brain of many male homosexuals, reacts in the way a woman's brain normally would, and the brain of a woman homosexual reacts in the way a man's normally would. There are several different explanations for this, one of them is that possibly when their mother was pregnant with them, she had a hormonal imbalance during part of the pregnancy when the brain was developing, thus causing parts of the brain to develope in the way that they normally should develope in the opposite sex.

Other homosexuals have been discovered to have genetic anamolies, some of them have Kleinfelter's syndrome (they have a set of XXY genes, rather than XY like a normal man, giving them certain feminized physical and mental characteristics) or they are mosaics (they have two sets of cells in their body, the result of fraternal twins merging together in the womb, a person can actually have some male and some female cells if they are a mosaic. Mind you, not all Kleinfelters syndrome or mosaics are homosexuals, however, and their are homosexuals for whom no medical explanation has been found.

Now in this case, the man in this question had a stroke, which is a sort of brain injury. Possibly this affected the 'wiring' in his brain, such that his brain now reacts in the same way as a homosexual's does. There are other cases of people acting oddly after brain injuries. For instance, Phineas Gage was a railroad worker in the 1800's, he suffered an accident in which a railroad spike was pounded into his head somehow. Before this accident, he was a very quiet and virtuous man, but after it, he was very loud, and fought and swore a lot. Another possible example of head injury affecting behavior is Aleister Crowley, who apparently suffered a head injury of some kind in late childhood, after which his behavior became rather bizaare, to say the least.

aisha16

That's a crazy story. He was probably gay before the stroke and is just using the stroke as an excuse to come out of the closet now.

Lol. I agree. I think he made the whole thing up..."Closeted rugby player goes into Acoma after accident" should be the REAL title. Bizarre! He probably thought it was the best way to get out of his "relationship". :S