Ruling on hanging verses of the Qur'aan on walls

Flight23

:salam2:
another important e-mail i got.
:wasalam:

When visiting muslims, I noticed that many of them put verses of the Qur'an on the walls or pictures with the names Allah and Mohammed. I know a lot of muslims think that it is good to do so because it will protect them and their house. Personally, I consider it a form of shirk or superstition. Is there any ruling on that subject?

Praise be to Allaah.

Hanging plaques and cloths containing aayaat of the Qur'aan in homes, schools, social clubs and places of business, involves a number of reservations and prohibitions according to Islam, such as the following:

(1) In most cases, hanging such things on the wall is done for purposes of decoration and adornment, as the aayaat etc. are written in calligraphy and colourful brocade. This is an inappropriate use of the Qur'aan, as it was revealed to guide people and to be read regularly. The Qur'aan was not revealed to decorate walls, but to guide mankind.

(2) Some people hang up such things for "blessing" - which is a form of bid'ah. The blessing as described in Islam comes from reading or reciting the Qur'aan, not from hanging it up or placing it on shelves or turning it into artwork and three-dimensional images.

(3) This is contrary to the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (al-Khulafaa' al-Raashidoon), may Allaah be pleased with them, who never did such a thing. The best way is to follow them, not to introduce bid'ah. History tells us that in places such as Andalusia, Turkey, etc., the adornment of houses and mosques with ornate carvings of aayaat only happened at times when the Muslims were weak and humiliated.

(4) Hanging up such pictures or plaques could lead to shirk, because some people think that these things are amulets that will protect the house and its people from evil and disease. This is shirk and is haraam, because the One Who really offers protection is Allaah, may He be glorified, and one of the means of gaining His protection is sincere recitation of the Qur'an and du'aa's taught in the Qur'aan and Sunnah.

(5) There is the risk that the Qur'aan may be used, in such cases, as a means of promoting one's business or increasing one's earnings. The Qur'aan should be protected from being used for such purposes. It is well-known that the production and sale of these pictures and plaques involves a great deal of extravagance and wasting money.

(6) Many of these plaques are painted with real gold, which makes using them and hanging them up even more haraam.

(7) Many of these plaques involve a kind of carelessness, because the letters are twisted into complex designs that are of no benefit to anyone because they are barely legible. Sometimes words are fashioned into the shape of a bird or a man prostrating, and similarly forbidden pictures of animate beings.

(8) Ayaat and soorahs of the Qur'aan are exposed to misuse and abuse by this practice. For example, when moving house, they are piled up with the rest of the furniture and belongings, and other objects may be placed on top of them. This also happens when they are taken down so that the wall may be painted or cleaned.

(9) Some Muslims whose observance of Islam is lacking put these plaques and pictures up so that they can feel that they are doing something religious, in order to reduce their feelings of guilt - in spite of the fact that this practice does not help them in any way.

All in all, we must close the doors of evil and follow the leaders of guidance of the early centuries of Islam, whose people the Prophet (peace be upon him) testified were the best of the Muslims in faith and practice. If someone were to say, "We are not going to abuse it or make it a decoration or exaggerate about it, we only want to remind people (about their religion) in our gatherings"�, our response would be: if we look at real life, will we find that this is what actually happens? Do people really remember Allah? Do they even read these aayaat when they raise their heads?

What really happens is the opposite: people go against the words hanging over their heads, they still tell lies, engage in gossip, make fun of others and do and say evil things. Even if we assume that there are some who do benefit from these plaques etc., the fact is that they are very few, and this does not change the hukm (Islamic ruling) on the matter.

The Muslims must turn to the Book of Allaah, read it and recite it, and act in accordance with it. We ask Allaah to make the Qur'aan a light of guidance for us, and a means of removing our grief and anxiety. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
jazaak Allah khair

yes, Quran is to recite and follow

but i dont think thats its haraam to put plaques on the wall.

its better than un-Islamic decorations.

slave_of_Allah

Jazka'Allah Khair for sharing. I do have Quran'ic ayah's in my bedroom, and certain posters which have verses from the Qur'an, but alhamduillah they remind me of Islam, and give me strength when I am feeling weak. I intented to put them up only for myself, so they can serve as a reminder, and cause my heart to weep. Sunhana'Allah.

ShyHijabi

Honestly I don't see any true daleel to back this prohibition up. There is no hadith or verse that states that it is wrong to hang the verses on the wall. They say it is bi'dah because Rasool (peace be upon him) never did it, but he also did not wrap a Qu'ran in a cloth and place it on a high shelf either. For that matter he never posessed a written Qu'ran, so would that be bid'ah as well? They also state it is wrong to print it in gold but the drape that hangs on the kabbah is also embroidered in gold. Muslim men are not allowed to wear gold but that does not mean it can't be used on other respects.

I am not trying to be argumentative here but rather use the brain which Allah swt supplied me with. Muslims engage in gossip, back biting and other haraam activities with the Quran in their house. It is not different than doing it in front of a verse on the wall.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Honestly I don't see any true daleel to back this prohibition up. There is no hadith or verse that states that it is wrong to hang the verses on the wall. They say it is bi'dah because Rasool (peace be upon him) never did it, but he also did not wrap a Qu'ran in a cloth and place it on a high shelf either. For that matter he never posessed a written Qu'ran, so would that be bid'ah as well? They also state it is wrong to print it in gold but the drape that hangs on the kabbah is also embroidered in gold. Muslim men are not allowed to wear gold but that does not mean it can't be used on other respects.

I am not trying to be argumentative here but rather use the brain which Allah swt supplied me with. Muslims engage in gossip, back biting and other haraam activities with the Quran in their house. It is not different than doing it in front of a verse on the wall.

Assalamu Allaicum

Exactly dear sister, I completaly agree with you Allhamdullilah.

May Allah guide us all

massi

uh sister !!!
the fatwa is right 100%
if there is not a directly daleel doesn't mean we don't have any answer !! there is Ussol El Fiqh (the Basic of the Fiqh) and we can quote many rules from it to know if it's right or not !!! Allaah know the best

massi

Assalamu Allaicum

May Allah guide us all

:astag::astag::astag:
May Allaah forgive you sister !!! how you can agree with her just like that !!

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
:astag::astag::astag:
May Allaah forgive you sister !!! how you can agree with her just like that !!

Wa la hawla wa la kuweta illabillah.

Brother first of all I did not said anything wrong,and it is not right way to advice others like this.And also brother,it is not good to say for everything "Astagfirullah",becasue Allah does not love those who over react in aything.

Alhmadulillah that I agree with sister Shyhijabi because there is no any evidence from Quran and Sunnah which are forbidding hanginng verses on walls.There are mosques and masjids all over the world where are hanged verses from Quran on Wall,and it is like that over centuries.If there is not haddith or ayah which will prove this statment that Alhamdulillah it is not right to make something haaram when is not.In that case we will use reason that Allah has gaved us,Inshallah.

For example,here is one mistake in the ruling where after Prophet name s.a.w.s has not been called salawat and Alahdmulilah it should be.

And also sister Shyhijabi is not her,but she is sister.

May Allah guide us all:tti_sister:

ShyHijabi

This is a Fatwah? Declared by what scholar? And what were his qaulifications? All I see is this is a forwarded email with absolutely no daleel. IN order for a fatwa to be legitimiate it must be backed by daleel. Now if there is sound, sahih daleel I will recant my words. But I still see absolutely no basis for making the hanging of Qu'ranic verses haraam.

A Kashmiri

I m not sure whether it is right or wrong to hang verses of Quran, nor can i comment on the fatwa put by one of our brothers here.

However i would like to point out that when i was a child we had Surah Yasin hanging on the wall and i was always attracted by it. Once i started reading quran i used to read it fully and with time i memorised it fully.

My point is that if we have kids in our houses, it definetly is beneficial as kids are very enquiring by nature.

Rest Allah knows the best....

massi

Brother first of all I did not said anything wrong,and it is not right way to advice others like this.And also brother,it is not good to say for everything "Astagfirullah",becasue Allah does not love those who over react in aything.

Alhmadulillah that I agree with sister Shyhijabi because there is no any evidence from Quran and Sunnah which are forbidding hanginng verses on walls.There are mosques and masjids all over the world where are hanged verses from Quran on Wall,and it is like that over centuries.If there is not haddith or ayah which will prove this statment that Alhamdulillah it is not right to make something haaram when is not.In that case we will use reason that Allah has gaved us,Inshallah.

For example,here is one mistake in the ruling where after Prophet name s.a.w.s has not been called salawat and Alahdmulilah it should be.

And also sister Shyhijabi is not her,but she is sister.

May Allah guide us all:tti_sister:

:astag::astag::astag::astag:
you are very wrong !!!

to know the sunna and the Bida'a is to have knowledge about the teaching of the pure Islam :astag: not what people do in their mosques over the world !!!:astag:
besides Our prophet Peace be upon him waring us from this decoration of the mosque and the Quran .
Our prophet Peace be upon him says : the last hour will not come until people will boast with the mosques " or as our prophet says !!
in Bukhari Ibn Abass says :" you will decoration it ( the mosque) just as the Christians and Jews had done "

massi

This is a Fatwah? Declared by what scholar? And what were his qaulifications? All I see is this is a forwarded email with absolutely no daleel. IN order for a fatwa to be legitimiate it must be backed by daleel. Now if there is sound, sahih daleel I will recant my words. But I still see absolutely no basis for making the hanging of Qu'ranic verses haraam.
I told you there is not a direct daleel but there is basic to know the sunna and the bid3a !!!
it's you who need a daleel to show there is nothing wrong to put ayat on the wall !!! not us because The Quran is the word of Allaah so it has its rules and status !!!
yes one of the daleel is the prophet didn't do that or the sahaba !!! so what's your proof it is allowed ??

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
:astag::astag::astag::astag:
you are very wrong !!!

to know the sunna and the Bida'a is to have knowledge about the teaching of the pure Islam :astag: not what people do in their mosques over the world !!!:astag:
besides Our prophet Peace be upon him waring us from this decoration of the mosque and the Quran .
Our prophet Peace be upon him says : the last hour will not come until people will boast with the mosques " or as our prophet says !!
in Bukhari Ibn Abass says :" you will decoration it ( the mosque) just as the Christians and Jews had done "

Brother you are very wrong wallahi...

Dear brother please calm down for the sake of Allah. You know that Muslim is always kind, polite in his or her speach. So we shouls stick to Islamic maners in our behaviour just like our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s thought us to do.

There is no need for putting 10 times "Asstagfirullah" when we already know that Allah does not love those who over react in anything. Please dear brother try to be modest in your speach and learn to advice others like our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s . did, InshAllah. May Allah help you on that way.Ameen

Please dear brother can you bring us ayah from Holy Quran or Sunnah, or both, where is said that it is haram to hang on the wall ayahs etc..InshAllah. If you do not have the proff, than it is better that we do not disscuss any more on this subjct as I do not find any use in it. And we all will be asked for our "time" how did we spend it InshAlllah.

May Allah guide us all.Ameen

May Allah forgive you dear brother and all of us.Ameen

massi

Brother you are very wrong wallahi...

Dear brother please calm down for the sake of Allah. You know that Muslim is always kind, polite in his or her speach. So we shouls stick to Islamic maners in our behaviour just like our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s thought us to do.

There is no need for putting 10 times "Asstagfirullah" when we already know that Allah does not love those who over react in anything. Please dear brother try to be modest in your speach and learn to advice others like our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s . did, InshAllah. May Allah help you on that way.Ameen

Please dear brother can you bring us ayah from Holy Quran or Sunnah, or both, where is said that it is haram to hang on the wall ayahs etc..InshAllah. If you do not have the proff, than it is better that we do not disscuss any more on this subjct as I do not find any use in it. And we all will be asked for our "time" how did we spend it InshAlllah.

May Allah guide us all.Ameen

May Allah forgive you dear brother and all of us.Ameen

ََAssalam Alaikom

1*sister sorry if I was rough but I don't except you agree directly without check out what the Sharia says about it !!!
2*about your statement the mosques I show you it's wrong so Ihope you agree with that !!!
3* we don't need for any case a special hadith or ayat to know it's forbidden or not but we have to know the rules of the Sharia!!
4* like smocking is forbidden according to the rules of SHaria not according to Ayat or HAdith !!!!

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
ََAssalam Alaikom

1*sister sorry if I was rough but I don't except you agree directly without check out what the Sharia says about it !!!
2*about your statement the mosques I show you it's wrong so Ihope you agree with that !!!
3* we don't need for any case a special hadith or ayat to know it's forbidden or not but we have to know the rules of the Sharia!!
4* like smocking is forbidden according to the rules of SHaria not according to Ayat or HAdith !!!!

It is fine for the sake of Allah, every day we learn from ours or mistakes of others.

Can you please bring me Shariah rulling for the subject of this thread, source of that rulling and tell me if you are in possibility offcourse, in which countries it is applied???

And regarding your remainder about decorating mosques today, what we can see is that those who are decorateing mosques are considering it hallal. All we can do is to pray Allah to guide us all, and we also should give more efforts to educate ourselves about pure Islam InshAllah. After learning that pure Islam we should apply that knowledge in our lifes and pass it on others.

May Allah guide us all

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum all

I found the following on IslamQA and I beleive as everything else it all depends on how you intend to use the Quranic Ayats that are hang on the wall's etc, and Alhamdulilah at least my intention to hang them up is not that they will protect me from harm as only Allah SWT is the one who protects.

What is the ruling on hanging up aayaat for protection?
IS it proper to hang Quranic verses from the wall to
1. protect one from evil things
2. beautify the room with divine words
3. with the intention that it will gain me rewards
May allah rewad u.

Praise be to Allaah.

The ruling on placing the Mus-haf (copy of the Qur’aan) in cars to ward off the evil eye and for protection from danger is a bid’ah. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) never carried the Mus-haf to ward off danger or the evil eye. If it is bid’ah, then we should remember that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every bid’ah is a going-astray and every going-astray will lead to Hell.” (Telephone conversation with Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen) (al-Bida’ wa’l-Muhdathaat wa maa laa aslun lahu, p. 259).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was also asked the following question: “Some people hang up aayaat of the Qur’aan and ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the rooms of their homes or in restaurants or offices. In some hospitals and doctors’ offices they hang the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me” [al-Shu’ara’ 26:80], and so on. Is this considered to be the use of amulets which is forbidden in sharee’ah, knowing that the intention behind it is to seek blessings and ward off the shayaateen, or to remind the forgetful and warn the negligent? Is it like using amulets to put the Mus-haf in one's car in order to seek blessings?”

His Eminence replied as follows:

“If the intention is as described, to remind people and teach them something beneficial, then there is no harm in that. But if they believe that it is a protection against the shayaateen or jinn, then I know of no basis for this. By the same token, there is no basis for putting the Mus-haf in one's car to protect it, and doing so is not allowed, but if a person puts it in his car so that he can read it sometimes or so that some of his passengers can read it, then this is good and there is nothing wrong with it. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

(Fatawa Islamiyyah, 4/29). (Shaykh Ibn Baaz may Allah have mercy on him) .

massi

It is fine for the sake of Allah, every day we learn from ours or mistakes of others.

Can you please bring me Shariah ruling for the subject of this thread, source of that ruling and tell me if you are in possibility off course, in which countries it is applied???

And regarding your remainder about decorating mosques today, what we can see is that those who are decorateing mosques are considering it hallal. All we can do is to pray Allah to guide us all, and we also should give more efforts to educate ourselves about pure Islam InshAllah. After learning that pure Islam we should apply that knowledge in our lifes and pass it on others.

May Allah guide us all

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh brothers and sisters, I want to point a few things out.

Assalamu Allaicum

ShyHijabi said:

May Allah guide us all

The problem wouldn't really be hanging verses or Surahs on the wall, but about why a person puts these things up? If they do it for decoration, then it defeats the purpose of those Ayets, which is to help a person to remember Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla.

ON THE CONTRARY, if the person's intentions of hanging these things up are NOT "for decorating," AND if the AYETS and SURAHS are CLEARLY written (with no fancy calligraphy, just) so that you CAN read what it says, and so then you hang it up because it helps remember Ayets from the Quran, reminds a person about Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, etc. then it's not really WRONG to have these plaques, as long as rules are emplied (that they aren't touched except when you have Wudhu, etc.), and May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla forgive me if I am wrong.