Ruling on keeping dogs as pets?

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
:salam2:

Could somebody explain, with evidence from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, why it is forbidden to keep a dog as a pet? (not as a farming animal).

I realise that the saliva of a dog is deemed impure, and I know how to counteract this impurity, but is this the only reason why keeping a dog as a pet is haraam?

IS it actually haraam? Astaghfirallah, I'm becoming a little confused by some evidence from the Sunnah I have come across.

Also, islamqa.com goes into an explanation about imitating the kuffar...I must say I find a small portion of their commentary a little inflammatory, as their comments on kuffar and dogs (specifically) don't seem to be rooted in Qur'an/Sunnah??

Any help, based on evidence, is much appreciated :)

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
:salam2:

Could somebody explain, with evidence from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, why it is forbidden to keep a dog as a pet? (not as a farming animal).

I realise that the saliva of a dog is deemed impure, and I know how to counteract this impurity, but is this the only reason why keeping a dog as a pet is haraam?

IS it actually haraam? Astaghfirallah, I'm becoming a little confused by some evidence from the Sunnah I have come across.

Also, islamqa.com goes into an explanation about imitating the kuffar...I must say I find a small portion of their commentary a little inflammatory, as their comments on kuffar and dogs (specifically) don't seem to be rooted in Qur'an/Sunnah??

Any help, based on evidence, is much appreciated :)

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Sister, I hope somebody will compile the reference from Quran and sunnah about the situation and conditions to have dogs for certain purposes.

I just want to make one point clear for you.

It is agree that the dog is considered at the top of those animals who are very loyal and human friendly. But please keep in mind that there are many similar things which we think to be good for us but have been forbidden by Allah for our own benefits. It is really a shocking thing for a western nurtured person that Islam prohibits the owning the dog as house pet. But for a person living in the estern countries, it is very much normal to realize the order of Allah and his Prophet about the handling of dogs.

So it is not the fault on the part of Islam or some Islamic scholar but it is the fault on the part of that culture which is producing the obsession with licking, kissing and playing around with dogs.

For any such thing which I considered to be valid but has been banned by my Creator, I would say "Allah knows better and I know nothing".

Wassalaam,
VE

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
AssalaamuAlaikum,

Sister, I hope somebody will compile the reference from Quran and sunnah about the situation and conditions to have dogs for certain purposes.

I just want to make one point clear for you.

It is agree that the dog is considered at the top of those animals who are very loyal and human friendly. But please keep in mind that there are many similar things which we think to be good for us but have been forbidden by Allah for our own benefits. It is really a shocking thing for a western nurtured person that Islam prohibits the owning the dog as house pet. But for a person living in the estern countries, it is very much normal to realize the order of Allah and his Prophet about the handling of dogs.

So it is not the fault on the part of Islam or some Islamic scholar but it is the fault on the part of that culture which is producing the obsession with licking, kissing and playing around with dogs.

For any such thing which I considered to be valid but has been banned by my Creator, I would say "Allah knows better and I know nothing".

Wassalaam,
VE

Salaam,

Thanks for your response, yes I do hope to read some hard evidence, but I just want to point out that I am merely curious as to why it is forbidden, NOT because I own/want to own a dog for myself (I'm afraid of them!), and NOT because I find it 'strange' as a Westerner, because I don't... :ma:

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Salaam,

Thanks for your response, yes I do hope to read some hard evidence, but I just want to point out that I am merely curious as to why it is forbidden, NOT because I own/want to own a dog for myself (I'm afraid of them!), and NOT because I find it 'strange' as a Westerner, because I don't... :ma:

WaAlaikumussalaam,

And Please note that Dogs are not hate creatures but we are ordered to avoid the physical contact with them.

It is evident how perfect is Islam about to handle the Allah's creation:

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 174:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "A man saw a dog eating mud from (the severity of) thirst. So, that man took a shoe (and filled it) with water and kept on pouring the water for the dog till it quenched its thirst. So Allah approved of his deed and made him to enter Paradise." And narrated Hamza bin 'Abdullah: My father said. "During the lifetime of Allah's Apostle, the dogs used to urinate, and pass through the mosques (come and go), nevertheless they never used to sprinkle water on it (urine of the dog.)"

About avoiding Dog:

Bukhari Ahadith:

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 173:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "If a dog drinks from the utensil of anyone of you it is essential to wash it seven times."

Volume 3, Book 39, Number 515:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily, unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle." Abu Huraira (in another narration) said from the Prophet, "unless it is used for guarding sheep or farms, or for hunting." Narrated Abu Hazim from Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A dog for guarding cattle or for hunting."

Volume 3, Book 39, Number 516:
Narrated As-Sa'ib bin Yazid:

Abu Sufyan bin Abu Zuhair, a man from Azd Shanu'a and one of the companions of the Prophet said, "I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'If one keeps a dog which is meant for guarding neither a farm nor cattle, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily." I said, "Did you hear this from Allah's Apostle?" He said, "Yes, by the Lord of this Mosque."

Volume 7, Book 67, Number 391:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "If someone keeps a dog neither for guarding livestock, nor for hunting, his good deeds will decrease (in reward) by two Qirats a day.'

Volume 5, Book 59, Number 338:
Narrated Ibn Abbas:

Abu Talha, a companion of Allah's Apostle and one of those who fought at Badr together with Allah's Apostle told me that Allah's Apostle said. "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture" He meant the images of creatures that have souls.

Wassalaam,
VE