Salaat El Tasbeeh tawbah (repentance)

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam Alikom

When I logged in to post this topic I saw Brother IslamicFajr has posted a good topic about Tawbah, There is a Salah which called Salaat Tasbih which Insha'Allah can help us to ask forgivness from Allah,

the Hadith

[Removed]

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2: :mashallah:
very beneficial post
jazak Allah khairan..
1 question, Is this sunnah or fard?

:salam2:

حدثنا ‏ ‏موسى بن عبد الرحمن أبو عيسى المسروقي ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏زيد بن الحباب ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏موسى بن عبيدة
‏حدثنا ‏ ‏موسى بن عبد الرحمن أبو عيسى المسروقي ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏زيد بن الحباب ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏موسى بن عبيدة ‏ ‏حدثني ‏ ‏سعيد بن أبي سعيد ‏ ‏مولى ‏ ‏أبي بكر بن عمرو بن حزم ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏أبي رافع ‏ ‏قال ‏
‏قال رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏للعباس ‏ ‏يا عم ألا ‏ ‏أحبوك ‏ ‏ألا أنفعك ألا أصلك قال بلى يا رسول الله قال ‏ ‏فصل أربع ركعات تقرأ في كل ركعة ‏ ‏بفاتحة الكتاب ‏ ‏وسورة فإذا انقضت القراءة فقل سبحان الله والحمد لله ولا إله إلا الله والله أكبر خمس عشرة مرة قبل أن تركع ثم اركع فقلها عشرا ثم ارفع رأسك فقلها عشرا ثم اسجد فقلها عشرا ثم ارفع رأسك فقلها عشرا ثم اسجد فقلها عشرا ثم ارفع رأسك فقلها عشرا قبل أن تقوم فتلك خمس وسبعون في كل ركعة وهي ثلاث مائة في أربع ركعات فلو كانت ذنوبك مثل رمل عالج غفرها الله لك قال يا رسول الله ومن لم يستطع يقولها في يوم قال قلها في جمعة فإن لم تستطع فقلها في شهر حتى قال فقلها في سنة ‏

شرح سنن ابن ماجه للسندي

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
salam alaykum

There are ahaadeeth concerning Salaat al-Tasaabeeh which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and which were classed as hasan by some of the scholars, but many scholars said that they are da'eef (weak) and that this prayer is not prescribed in Islam.

The Standing Committee was asked about Salaat al-Tasaabeeh, and they
answered:
Salaat al-Tasaabeeh is a bid'ah (innovation) and the hadeeth concerning it is not proven, rather it is munkar. Some of the scholars mentioned it among the mawdoo' (fabricated) ahaadeeth.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen said: Salaat al-Tasaabeeh is not prescribed, because the hadeeth is da'eef (weak). Imaam Ahmad said there is no sound evidence for it. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said it is a fabrication, and he said that none of the imaams recommended it. He (may Allaah have mercy on him) spoke the truth, because whoever examines this prayer will find that it is odd in the way it is performed . Moreover, if it were prescribed, it would have been something that was reported in many reports because of its great virtue and reward. Since there are no such reports and none of the imaams described it as being recommended, we know that it is not proven. The oddness in the way in which it is performed is as described in the hadeeth narrated concerning it, which says that it is to be performed once every day, or once every week, or once every month, or once every year, or once in a lifetime. This indicates that these reports are not sound; if it were prescribed, it would be something to be done on a regular basis, and one would not be given such a variety of options. On this basis, people should not do this prayer. And Allaah knows best.

Verily the best speech is Allah's speech; the best guidance is Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa salaam's) guidance; and the worst matters are those innovated, for every innovated matter is a bid'ah, and every bid'ah is an act of misguidance and every misguidance is in the fire.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam alaykum

There are ahaadeeth concerning Salaat al-Tasaabeeh which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and which were classed as hasan by some of the scholars, but many scholars said that they are da'eef (weak) and that this prayer is not prescribed in Islam.

The Standing Committee was asked about Salaat al-Tasaabeeh, and they
answered:
Salaat al-Tasaabeeh is a bid'ah (innovation) and the hadeeth concerning it is not proven, rather it is munkar. Some of the scholars mentioned it among the mawdoo' (fabricated) ahaadeeth.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen said: Salaat al-Tasaabeeh is not prescribed, because the hadeeth is da'eef (weak). Imaam Ahmad said there is no sound evidence for it. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said it is a fabrication, and he said that none of the imaams recommended it. He (may Allaah have mercy on him) spoke the truth, because whoever examines this prayer will find that it is odd in the way it is performed . Moreover, if it were prescribed, it would have been something that was reported in many reports because of its great virtue and reward. Since there are no such reports and none of the imaams described it as being recommended, we know that it is not proven. The oddness in the way in which it is performed is as described in the hadeeth narrated concerning it, which says that it is to be performed once every day, or once every week, or once every month, or once every year, or once in a lifetime. This indicates that these reports are not sound; if it were prescribed, it would be something to be done on a regular basis, and one would not be given such a variety of options. On this basis, people should not do this prayer. And Allaah knows best.

Verily the best speech is Allah's speech; the best guidance is Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa salaam's) guidance; and the worst matters are those innovated, for every innovated matter is a bid'ah, and every bid'ah is an act of misguidance and every misguidance is in the fire.

salam aleikum
Sister is there any way you could give us a source of this fatwa?
Jazakallah khair

waaleikum salam

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Jazakallah Kyr brothers and sisters. I actually did Salatul Tasbeeh before. I was doing Tahajudd on my first night at the Jamaat long back in December (during Christmas time, ie. Winter Break), and I went to West Bronx New York. Mashallah I brought a book that my Uncle gave me about Salat, and I learned Salatul Tasbeeh and did it. I even taught it to one of the elders the next day.

The only problem was that there was an African American brother who took his Shahadah last month at this Masjid in Manhattan (after Jummah, and I with the Jamaat at that same Masjid for the weekend), and afterwards, him and his friend (who also took his Shahadah recently, Mashallah) also asked if they could get things (ie. some Islamic clothing, things that they might need), and the Dadha (the elder, and the oldest one) gave the African American brother a Rumal (the red and white ones), and he gave his friend a Kufi. And so I ran back downstairs, even with my bad foot, and I opened up my luggage, and took out 2 of my 3 books: I took out Taleemul Haq and my book "Our Salat" that my Uncle gave me (copyright, Lahore (I think :D), Pakistan).
And so I forgot how many Tasbeehs I'd have to do each time, and so I couldn't do Salatul Tasbeeh, even during Tahajudd, which know that I think of it, I could've just asked the Jamaat Amir (he's my Ustad, my own personal Quran and Tajwed Teacher Mashallah :)), because he knew about how to do it. Dang! LoL.

But I'm going to Memorize these steps Inshallah, because I'm planning to go to a Jamaat this weekend, and at the end of May, and there's gonna be a big Istimah either at my
Jam -E Masjid or in Summerset.

Gonna get more information on it soon, Inshallah.

Assalamu Alykum, Barakallahu Feek, Akhis wa Ukhtis, wa Jazakallah Kyr,

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
s there any valid proof for Salaat al-Tasaabeeh?
Is there a hadith that supports Salat Ul-Tasaabeeh? If so, what is the reference?

Praise be to Allaah.

There are ahaadeeth concerning Salaat al-Tasaabeeh which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and which were classed as hasan by some of the scholars, but may scholars said that they are da’eef (weak) and that this prayer is not prescribed in Islam.

The Standing Committee was asked about Salaat al-Tasaabeeh, and they answered:

Salaat al-Tasaabeeh is a bid’ah (innovation) and the hadeeth concerning it is not proven, rather it is munkar. Some of the scholars mentioned it among the mawdoo’ (fabricated) ahaadeeth.

See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, vol. 8, p. 163

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: Salaat al-Tasaabeeh is not prescribed, because the hadeeth is da’eef (weak). Imaam Ahmad said there is no sound evidence for it. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said it is a fabrication, and he said that none of the imaams recommended it. He (may Allaah have mercy on him) spoke the truth, because whoever examines this prayer will find that it is odd in the way it is performed … Moreover, if it were prescribed, it would have been something that was reported in many reports because of its great virtue and reward. Since there are no such reports and none of the imaams described it as being recommended, we know that it is not proven. The oddness in the way in which it is performed is as described in the hadeeth narrated concerning it, which says that it is to be performed once every day, or once every week, or once every month, or once every year, or once in a lifetime. This indicates that these reports are not sound; if it were prescribed, it would be something to be done on a regular basis, and one would not be given such a variety of options.

On this basis, people should not do this prayer. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa Manaar al-Islam, 1/203

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2: Brothers and Sisters,

We have to know that Repentance Prayer and Tasbeeh Prayer are two different prayers.

Tasabih Prayer:

Question: What is the ruling on the Tasâbîh prayer? Is it Sunnah? :salah:

Answered by Sheikh Muhammad b. Sâlih al-`Uthaymîn

I hold the view that the prayer known as al-Tasâbîh is not from the Sunnah and that the hadîth referring to it is weak. I hold this view for the following reasons:

1) In cases of worship, any act is prohibited unless legal evidence is provided to show that it is legally valid.

2) The hadîth about this prayer is contradictory in many ways.

3) It was not recommended by any scholar. Ibn Taymiyah said: “Ahmad and his companions stated their dislike of it and no scholar recommended it.” He also said: “Abû Hanîfah and al-Shafi`î knew nothing about it.”

4) If that prayer is lawful it would have been conveyed to us clearly by the scholars and it would have been well known, because of its great benefits and its being very different than other prayers other forms of worship. We know of no other form of worship that offers the choice of performing it every day, once a week, once a month, once a year, or once in a lifetime.
Also, since it has so many advantages and is not similar to any other prayer, and at the same time is not well known and not recommended, then we know it is has no basis to it. This is because when people know of something so unique possessing so many advantages, they pay attention to it and talk about it with others until it becomes widely circulated among the people. Since this is not the case with this prayer, we know the prayer is not prescribed. This is why none of the great legal scholars ever recommended it.

There are a sufficient number of voluntary acts of worship that are established by sound evidence and that provide sufficient blessings for those wishing to do more. This prayer – which has so much disagreement and ambiguity surrounding it – is unnecessary.

And Allah knows best.

Reference: Tasbeeh Prayer

Repentance Prayer:

How is salaah al-tawbah (the prayer of repentance) offered? How many rak’ahs is it? Can I offer it after ‘Asr prayer?.

Praise be to Allaah.

By the mercy of Allaah towards this ummah, He has opened the gate of repentance to it, and it will not cease until the soul reaches the throat (at death) or the sun rises from the west.

By His Mercy to this ummah, He has prescribed for them an act of worship which is one of the best acts of worship, by means of which the sinner can draw close to his Lord with the hope of his repentance being accepted. This is salaat al-tawbah (the prayer of repentance) and there follow some issues that have to do with this prayer.

1 – The prayer of repentance is prescribed in sharee’ah

The scholars are unanimously agreed that the prayer of repentance is prescribed in sharee’ah. Abu Dawood (1521) narrated that Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say:

“There is no one who commits a sin then purifies himself well and stands and prays two rak’ahs, then asks Allaah for forgiveness, but Allaah will forgive him. Then he recited this verse: ‘And those who, when they have committed Faahishah (illegal sexual intercourse) or wronged themselves with evil, remember Allaah and ask forgiveness for their sins; — and none can forgive sins but Allaah — and do not persist in what (wrong) they have done, while they know’ [Aal ‘Imraan 3:135].” Classed as sahaah by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Ahmad (26998) narrated that Abu’l-Darda’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say:

“The one who does wudoo’ and does it well, then stands and prays two rak’ahs or four (one of the narrators was uncertain), in which he remembers Allaah and focuses well, then asks Allaah for forgiveness, He will forgive him.” The editor of al-Musnad said: its isnaad is hasan. It was also quoted by al-Albaani in Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth al-Saheehah (3398).

2 – The reason for the prayer of repentance

The reason for the prayer of repentance is if a Muslim falls into sin, whether it is a major or minor sin, he has to repent from it straight away and it is recommended for him to pray these two rak’ahs. And when he repents he should do a righteous deed which is one of the best of deeds, namely prayer. So he may draw close to Allaah by means of this in the hope that He may accept his repentance and forgive his sin.

3 – The time for the prayer of repentance

It is mustahabb to offer this prayer when the Muslim has decided to repent from the sin that he has committed, whether this repentance comes immediately after committing the sin or later on. The sinner must hasten to repent but if he delays it, it will still be accepted, because repentance is accepted so long as one of the following impediments does not occur:

(i) When the soul reaches the throat (at death). The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Allaah will accept the repentance of His slave so long as the death rattle has not yet begun.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi (3537).

(ii) When the sun rises from the west. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever repents before the sun rises from the west, Allaah will accept his repentance.” Narrated by Muslim (2703).

This prayer is prescribed at all times including times when prayer is disallowed (such as after ‘Asr prayer), because it is one of the prayers that are done for a reason, so it is prescribed when the reason for it is present.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: Prayers which are done for a reason, such as the prostration of recitation, greeting the mosque, the eclipse prayer, prayer immediately after purifying oneself, as mentioned in the hadeeth of Bilaal, and istikhaarah prayer should not be delayed if the reason comes up at a time when prayer is disallowed, because delaying them may cause one to miss them, such as if the one who is praying istikhaarah may miss the thing concerning which he is seeking guidance if he delays the prayer. The same applies to the prayer of repentance. If a person commits a sin, then it is obligatory to repent straight away, and it is recommended for him to pray two rak’ahs, then repent, as it says in the hadeeth of Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq. End quote from Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (23/215).

4 –Description of the prayer of repentance

The prayer of repentance is two rak’ahs, as it says in the hadeeth of Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq (may Allaah be pleased with him).

It is prescribed for the one who is repenting to pray alone, because it is one of the naafil prayers that it is not prescribed to offer in congregation. After that it is prescribed to ask Allaah for forgiveness, because of the hadeeth of Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him).

There is no report from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to say that it is mustahabb to recite any particular soorahs in these two rak’ahs, so the worshipper may recite whatever he wants.

It is mustahabb for the penitent to strive hard in doing righteous deeds as well as offering this prayer, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And verily, I am indeed forgiving to him who repents, believes (in My Oneness, and associates none in worship with Me) and does righteous good deeds, and then remains constant in doing them (till his death)”

[Ta-Ha 20:82]

Among the best of righteous deeds that the penitent can do is giving charity, for charity is one of the greatest means of expiating sin. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If you disclose your Sadaqaat (almsgiving), it is well; but if you conceal them and give them to the poor, that is better for you. (Allaah) will expiate you some of your sins”

[al-Baqarah 2:271]

It is proven that Ka’b ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, when Allaah accepted his repentance: O Messenger of Allaah, as part of my repentance I shall give up my wealth as charity for Allaah and His Messenger. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Keep some of your wealth, for it is better for you.” He said: Then I shall keep my share in Khaybar. Agreed upon.

To sum up:

1- This prayer is proven from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

2- It is prescribed when the Muslim repents from any sin, whether it is a major sin or a minor sin, and whether this repentance comes immediately after committing the sin or after some time has passed.

3- This prayer may be offered at any time, including times when prayer is disallowed.

4- It is mustahabb for the penitent to do some good deeds along with this prayer, such as charity etc.

May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his family and companions.

Reference: Repentance Prayer

In sha Allah this will clear up any confusion.

:salam2:

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

jazaakom Allah khair, when I posted this I wasnt sure about the hadith if its weak or sound but later I found out its a weak hadith and was planning to remove this post but forgot with the time so jazaakom Allah khair for bringing it up again,

The post been edited and been removed and I will send a pm to the poster ;) :) hopfully he wont get mad for deleting his post :D:D

wa salaam

salaam alikom

jazaakom Allah khair, when I posted this I wasnt sure about the hadith if its weak or sound but later I found out its a weak hadith

akhi just asking a question. Are u scholar or have u knowledge about ussol of hadiths? or u r just accepting the comment of sheikh utheemeyyn or sheikh ibn taymiah? Or ur local scholar told u that this hadiths is weak? if u have contact with any scholars then please ask this question from my articles which i have sent the link.u have allready hadiths in there but i am just posting the authencity of that hadiths.

This hadeeth is Saheeh (authentic li-ghairihi) and is narrated in Abu Dawood (1297), Ibn Majah (1387) al-Haakim (1-308).

Abu Bakr b. Abi Dawood said that he heard his father say, 'There is nothing in the Tasbeeh prayer more authentic than this hadeeth.'

Imam Muslim said, 'There is no hadeeth with a better chain of narrators in this matter other than this...' (i.e. Ibn Abbas narration).

The second hadeeth, which is also authentic (Saheeh li-ghairihi) is narrated on the authority of Abi Rafi'...it to is similar to the above (in its wording).

This narration was narrated by Ibn Majah, at-Tirmidthi, Ad'daar-Qutni, and al-Baihaqi.

There is a third hadeeth which too is authentic and is narrated by Ahmed, At-Tirmidthi (who stated this narration as Hasan), an-Nasa'i, ibn Khuzaimah, and Ibn Hibban in their Saheeh collections, and al-Haakim, said that is authentic according to the conditions set by Muslim.

i would love to get answer of each and every narrations, and also the view of major muhaddithin.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Well I am not an scholar so when I said I found out it means I read that shyokh and Ulamaa said its a Daeef ( Weak ) hadith, in addition I asked the shiekh and Imam of the masjied said its weak so I go with the opinion of the Ulama.

So yes I am going with ( shiekh utheemeyyn and my local scholar who said its a weak) there is more in to it but I dont want to open big discussion about it.

Wa salaam alikom