Saying "al hamdulilah"

Steve940

:salam2:

I have a question. When I go to the masjid I sometimes see brothers that I recognize and I will greet them with salaam, and then ask how they are doing. Many people just say "alhamdulilah" and nothing else. I grew up non muslim and usually when we ask how someone is, we expect something like good, bad, so-so, and it may lead into a short little discussion.

Today a brother I know asked me if I had prayed the asr prayer and I said yes. He said that if someone asks you if you have prayed, and you have, then instead of saying yes you should say alhamdulilah.

My question is, why do people do this? And is it based on sunnah, or on traditions?

daywalker

I have a question. When I go to the masjid I sometimes see brothers that I recognize and I will greet them with salaam, and then ask how they are doing. Many people just say "alhamdulilah" and nothing else.
My question is, why do people do this? And is it based on sunnah, or on traditions?

they just mean it that, they are satiesfied and pleased with their life. THey dont go deep by giving asnwer : yes i am fine , or no i have some problem.

howevcer they are feeling, they are pleased with that and have sabr on that.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum

its praising almighty Allah by saying Alhamdulilah, if somebody asks u how u r doing u say "good" and by saying Alhamdulilah u mean everything is good. praise be to Allah. so its good to be always thankful to Allah. i use it for the muslims but not the non-muslims that don't understand.

hassana elkoussi

I have a question. When I go to the masjid I sometimes see brothers that I recognize and I will greet them with salaam, and then ask how they are doing. Many people just say "alhamdulilah" and nothing else. I grew up non muslim and usually when we ask how someone is, we expect something like good, bad, so-so, and it may lead into a short little discussion.

Today a brother I know asked me if I had prayed the asr prayer and I said yes. He said that if someone asks you if you have prayed, and you have, then instead of saying yes you should say alhamdulilah.

Well, brother, if u happen to ask those people how they're doing inside the masjid, no wonder they just answer "alhamdulillah" without going into details bec u'r not supposed to talk abt worldly matters inside the masjid.It's just a place of worship & remembrance of Allah.Besides, a good practicing moslem should be satisfied with anything that befalls him.There's a hadith which says:There's wonder in a moslem's behaviour: if anything good befalls him, he thanks Allah and if anything wrong befalls him, he becomes patient." And part of this patience is not to complain.This is what Jacob referred to in Surrah Yusuf (Joseph) as " beautiful patience".( Of course u can discuss a problem with someone, but only if u feel that this person'll probably come up with some suggesions or effective solutions - not just for the sake of chatting)
One more point: Omar Ibn El Khattab(May Allah be pleased with him) used to say: If a calamity befalls me, I usually say alhamdulilah ( thank Allah ) for three reasons:
- that it could've been worse
-that Allah gave me the power to tolerate it
-that it's related to worldly matters & did not affect my religion

As for ur last question, well when u say " alhamdulilah i did my prayers" that means u'r thanking Allah for giving u the strength, eeman, the will... to do it. you're attributing all this to Allah not to yourself.

Hope this helps:salam2::shake: