Scientists Close to Reviving Wooly Mammoths From Extinction

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Thousands of years ago, Wooly mammoths were pretty much wiped off the face of the Earth from a likely combination of climate change and over-hunting from humans. But now, about 450 generations after our ancestors armed themselves with sharpened sticks to kill mammoths, scientists are now working to revive them -- and they're actually incredibly close to doing it. Japanese and Russian researchers are suggesting that in just five short years the currently extinct Wooly mammoth may roam again thanks to advancements in cloning science, offering a bit of hope for countless other species that have already perished at the hands of humans.

A report from PhysOrg outlines the surprisingly-easy sounding process of bringing an extinct species back to life:

By replacing the nuclei of egg cells from an elephant with those taken from the mammoth's marrow cells, embryos with mammoth DNA can be produced, Kyodo said, citing the researchers. The scientists will then plant the embryos into elephant wombs for delivery, as the two species are close relatives, the report said.

Securing nuclei with an undamaged gene is essential for the nucleus transplantation technique, it said.
For scientists involved in the research since the late 1990s, finding nuclei with undamaged mammoth genes has been a challenge. Mammoths became extinct about 10,000 years ago.

According to scientists, the real breakthrough that ups the chances for a wooly redux came with the discovery of a well-preserved mammoth bone in Siberia last Summer, inside which DNA from marrow could be relatively easily harvested. Ironically, the find was made possible thanks to the region's receding ice coverage due to climate change -- the same phenomenon considered partially to blame for the species decline some 10,000 years ago.

While the notion of reviving that iconic Ice Age-era species from the emptiness of extinction is endlessly fascinating, there exists today an untold number of plants and animals on the verge of a similar fate due to the same factors which snuffed out mammoths in the first place.

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/scientists-close-reviving-wooly-mammoths-extinction.html

Thoughts and comments? Do we think we are creators now?

Tomtom

Banned
As'alaamu Alaikkum

"Thousands of years ago, Wooly mammoths were pretty much wiped off the face of the Earth from a likely combination of climate change and over-hunting from humans".

I disagree with this statement because we do not really know why they died out, the above statement is at best a guess and a 'theory' from the scientists who love to guess and theorise. Nature is controlled by Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala only and whatever happens on the earth happens for a reason.

Geeky kids grow up and get a phd then try to play god after watching movies like 'Jurassic Park'. It's about time these lost souls put their trust in Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala and quit thinking that they know more than God.

My gripe for today. :)

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh,

Clonning is haram:

[Satan said:] “I will lead them astray and fill them with false hopes. I will command them and they will cut off cattle’s ears. I will command them and they will change Allah’s creation.” Anyone who takes satan as his protector in place of Allah has clearly lost everything.” (Surat an-Nisa’, 119)

They should focus more on preserving the species that are in danger now in our times if they really love this planet and all the wonderfull creations of Allah.

But no, they want prestige and fame by such experiments. Besides, this is more talking in my humble opinia, a new specie will not emerge from cloned bodys. If clonning is posible, thats does not mean we can just play with it.....:astag:

Inchallah Allah will guide them sooner or later.

:salam2:

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
As'alaamu Alaikkum

"Thousands of years ago, Wooly mammoths were pretty much wiped off the face of the Earth from a likely combination of climate change and over-hunting from humans".

I disagree with this statement because we do not really know why they died out, the above statement is at best a guess and a 'theory' from the scientists who love to guess and theorise. Nature is controlled by Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala only and whatever happens on the earth happens for a reason.

Geeky kids grow up and get a phd then try to play god after watching movies like 'Jurassic Park'. It's about time these lost souls put their trust in Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala and quit thinking that they know more than God.

My gripe for today. :)

Climate change, encrouching habitat…. I believe these conditions exist. You cannot refute the fact that human activities are detrimentally affecting the environment. Cause and effect. Yes Allah controls all things but there is a process flow on earth in everything that we do. Because that is the way Allah has made it. Inputs, processes, outputs….Allah's will is at ALL levels and one affects the other. It’s the way the world works…The way Allah has made our beautiful world and all the millions of processes that exist within it. Scientists do not just guess… Maybe if they don’t believe in God (which is not the case with all scientist), there is fact behind what "theories" they come up with. It has to make some sort of sense to our limited human capacities. Everything has to make sense because our minds are like that - questioning…. It’s the reason Allah gave us cause of death. We know we have to die but our minds cant comprehend our life just being taken away from us, so Allah gave us COD… But we know that death is willed by Allah and when He determines your life to end, so it does.

Agree with your second paragraph… we shouldn’t be messing with all this…. There is a reason God willed the elimination of certain species and we should not attempt to go against that.