Search Engines Censor Gaza

pcozzy

:salam2:

Don't know who is google run by but do know they will never let anybody know their algorithm that is used to produce search results.

The important thing about publishing anything on the net nowadays is to make use of the meta tag indexing in html. As the Google crawler starts cataloging pages it categorizes information on meta information.

I was concerned because there are times that I google some information with respects to Islam. The first sites that come up are anti-islamic sites pretending to represent islam. I know because I learned the information already, from a reliable source and all I was doing is trying to find references to that information.

Allah knows best. Of course we should take information from the net with like a grain of salt and refer back to reliable sources. You can't always beleive what you read because it is published on a medium with no accountability.

:wasalam:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
:salam2:

Don't know who is google run by but do know they will never let anybody know their algorithm that is used to produce search results.

The important thing about publishing anything on the net nowadays is to make use of the meta tag indexing in html. As the Google crawler starts cataloging pages it categorizes information on meta information.

I was concerned because there are times that I google some information with respects to Islam. The first sites that come up are anti-islamic sites pretending to represent islam. I know because I learned the information already, from a reliable source and all I was doing is trying to find references to that information.

Allah knows best. Of course we should take information from the net with like a grain of salt and refer back to reliable sources. You can't always beleive what you read because it is published on a medium with no accountability.

:wasalam:

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Spot on akhi, I canceled my post because I didn't think I could express that well enough. Their algorithm favours content by factors such as the date; recent news article searches come towards the top. But obviously, if across over 100 sites, the article isn't showing, then something has done something...

q8penpals

Salam

I followed her advice in the article and googled her name with "Palestine" and got Results 1 - 10 of about 427 for "Martha Rose Crow" Palestine, and then her name with "Gaza" and got Results 1 - 10 of about 1,230 for "Martha Rose Crow" Gaza. In her story, she said if you google her name with Palestine or Gaza, you only get about 40 results?! Is she using google correctly?

Besides, part of google's search techniques will bring up the most popular and most recent websites that most closely match the search terms.

It is hard for me to comment more - I live in Kuwait and we are censored twice on the internet - once from one of the Ministries (I think the Ministry of Communication) and once from the Internet services providers - so I not only don't find certain information, there are many websites that just come up with a screen stating the website is blocked.