searching for a hadith!

Marwa17

assalamu alikum,
hey everyone,
i'm looking for a couple of hadith and if anyone knows where they are...or can just post them, i would great appreciate it! jazkallahu khairan

first one: it's about how omar ibn al-khatab (ra) came to the prophet (SAAW) with a paper from the Torah b/c he wanted to show to him the comparisons and the prophet said: what are you doing, omar (Ra)? and then he (the prophet, saaw) said something along the lines of if Musa (as) would have followed the prophet if he had been there?

one question in that is: how did omar ibn al-khattab know how to read hebrew? (torah is in hebrew:confused:)

(i know it's a stupid question; but in my arabic class a person said that in the quran, the whole story is not told b/c the qu'ran is telling you to go read the bible for the whole story (sadly, it was a muslim who said that...) and i replied something along the lines of that hadith(that the prophet (saw) told omar ibn al-khattab (who had much more iman than we can ever hope) to not read the torah; so how can we as muslims say the qu'ran is telling us to go do that?!?!?!)...and the guy said something along the lines of: ooh, i can just say that's a weak hadith...and i said something like: you can't just say that unless you have proof...and then the proffessor said: maybe a better question is how did omar (ra) know how to read hebrew? and the other kids in the class said something like: oooooohh, that's right! (like he got you! kinda moment)(it frustrates me how they're muslims!!! and they just fall for petty stuff like this!!!)
ya...so to make a very long and angry story short, can anyone provide me with the hadith and authentication?!?!
i've been looking for it for a couple days and just can't find it!!!

jazkallahu khairan

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa walaykum salam chica, havent seen ya 'round in a long time!!

Hope you're doing well... :) insha'allah

I think this is what you're looking for:

“Narrated Jabir Ibn Abdullah :
Umar ibn al-Khattab brought to Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) a copy of the Torah and said: ‘Allah’s Messenger, this is a copy of the Torah’. He (Allah’s Messenger) kept quiet and he (Umar) began to read it. The colour of the face of Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) underwent a change, whereupon Abu Bakr said: “Would that your mother mourn you, don’t you see the face of Allah’s Messenger?’ Umar saw the face of Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) and said: ‘I seek refuge with Allah from the wrath of Allah and the wrath of His Messenger. We are well pleased with Allah as Lord, with Islam as religion, and with Muhammad as Prophet’. Whereupon Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) said : ‘By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, even if Moses were to appear before you and you were to follow him, leaving me aside, you would certainly stray into error; for if (Moses) were alive (now), and he found my prophetical ministry, he would have definitely followed me’.

(Sunan Ad-Darimi, Vol. 1, Hadith No. 435)

You just gotta use the right search words ;)

But the website i got it from had the same opinion as those above. As for Umar (radiallahu anhu) reading the torah, were there no translators back then??

wasalam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
(i know it's a stupid question; but in my arabic class a person said that in the quran, the whole story is not told b/c the qu'ran is telling you to go read the bible for the whole story (sadly, it was a muslim who said that...) and i replied something along the lines of that hadith(that the prophet (saw) told omar ibn al-khattab (who had much more iman than we can ever hope) to not read the torah; so how can we as muslims say the qu'ran is telling us to go do that?!?!?!)...and the guy said something along the lines of: ooh, i can just say that's a weak hadith...and i said something like: you can't just say that unless you have proof...and then the proffessor said: maybe a better question is how did omar (ra) know how to read hebrew? and the other kids in the class said something like: oooooohh, that's right! (like he got you! kinda moment)(it frustrates me how they're muslims!!! and they just fall for petty stuff like this!!!)
ya...so to make a very long and angry story short, can anyone provide me with the hadith and authentication?!?!......
Nice rant - good to get these things off ure chest outside of class especially if you had managed to keep your cool throughout.

A thought occurred to me, weren't there Jews living in Arabia at the time of the Prophet (s)? There were, and they must have known Arabic? your teacher makes it sound as though Jewish/Arabic cultures never existed in the same time at the same place! Totally untrue. Arabic speaking jews, born in the Arabian peninsula must have had Arabic copies of the Torah.

(Lol samiha, you got there first with the hadith)

:wasalam:

Marwa17

both of you,
mashallah!!! jazakallahu khairan...that was really fast and everything
love you guys for the sake of allah!!!
may he reward you !!!

isra,
who knows what's wrong with the people today?
i said: he probably knew how to read hebrew or it was translated
but they all made it seem like my argument was too weak....
and that the professor had made the best comeback in ages
they all kiss butt in that class and just sit there and nod
totally disturbing

sometimes i wonder why i bother
these kids disturb me with their idea of islam

keeping my cool?!?!?!
hahahaha
if you knew me, you would know how funny that is
some kid made a remark like next time i should bring a sword
(i didn't laugh...i don't laugh with people who think thhey're commedians...totally don't wanna encourage them...b/c then you can never get them to shut up...lol)

:hearts:
thanks!!! again
may allah guide us all:hijabi:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:

keeping my cool?!?!?!
hahahaha
if you knew me, you would know how funny that is
some kid made a remark like next time i should bring a sword
(i didn't laugh...i don't laugh with people who think thhey're commedians...totally don't wanna encourage them...b/c then you can never get them to shut up...lol)
:p hah! Ive never had that one said to me - I've had 'sir you should stop, shes radiating heat :S' amongst others lol, i used to go a deep shade of red and go deadly silent I was the only muslim in my class so it looks like youve got an extra dimension than me. If you keep this solely for the sake of Allah it'll be okay :)

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

ukht that's silly really what they say. I was going to mention this before but I needed to get some references, so I think now I can say it. What I wanted to bring up was the example of Waraqa bin Nawfal who was the Khadijah radiallahu anha's cousin, and the person she took the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam to when he first got the revelation.

Sources dictate that he was a pagan who had then converted to Christianity. He had extensive knowledge in both Hebrew and Arabic, and worked in both these languages. Therefore it is ridiculous to assume that such a connection did not occur. Assuredly he was not the only one and there were others. Anyways, must run but for references!

Sahih Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 605:

Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet returned to Khadija while his heart was beating rapidly. She took him to Waraqa bin Naufal who was a Christian convert and used to read the Gospels in Arabic Waraqa asked (the Prophet), "What do you see?" When he told him, Waraqa said, "That is the same angel whom Allah sent to the Prophet) Moses. Should I live till you receive the Divine Message, I will support you strongly."

Volume 1, Book 1, Number 3:

Narrated 'Aisha:

......Khadija then accompanied him to her cousin Waraqa bin Naufal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza, who, during the pre-Islamic Period became a Christian and used to write the writing with Hebrew letters. He would write from the Gospel in Hebrew as much as Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadija said to Waraqa, "Listen to the story of your nephew, O my cousin!" Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" Allah's Apostle described whatever he had seen. Waraqa said, "This is the same one who keeps the secrets (angel Gabriel) whom Allah had sent to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out." Allah's Apostle asked, "Will they drive me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said, "Anyone (man) who came with something similar to what you have brought was treated with hostility; and if I should remain alive till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died......

:)

So that's really baseless saying how did he know hebrew.

wasalam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:
Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu :)
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!
Sorry to ruin the tri conversation but these people(who try to be funny) are too funny lol.
Jazakallah khayran for the question and answer :)
Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu:SMILY139:

1. You ruined the tri conversation how dare you ;)
2. Whose side you on?! :SMILY129:

:SMILY139:

A

aynur7

If it was translation ,but another question rises.I don't understand why Omar brought Torah to Prophet(sawas). Why the narrator doesn't tell what his purpose was? Such questions r always rising because some hadiths doesn't tell the whole story. I'm sure our Prophet knew Torah better than anyone as he was given true knowledge from Allah.And what made him(sawas) so angry?

I read one version of Bible, it was very interesting.but sometimes just collection of ununderstandable words(translation).