Shaykh Abdullah al Ghudyan - Refuting the Ideas of the Khawaarij

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Question: What is the distinction between the Salafee da'wah and the 'Aqeedah of the Khawaarij who are giving a very bad image of Islaam and misrepresenting Islaam by suicide bombings in public places? How do we clarify to non-Muslims that this has absolutely nothing to do with Islaam?

Answer: The ‘aqeedah of Ahlul-Sunnah-wal-Jama’ah is presented in a hadeeth of when Jibreel (‘alaihi salaam) came to the Prophet in the form of a Bedouin and said: Inform me about Ihsaan and the response of the Prophet was: To worship Allaah as if you are seeing Him and if you are not seeing Him, know then that He is sees you and the response was: You have spoken the truth. Then he said: Inform me about al-Eemaan and the response was: To believe in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, the Last Day and in Destiny (the Good and the Bad). Jibreel said: You have spoken the truth. Inform me about Islaam. The Prophet said: Islaam is that you bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship other than Allaah and that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, to establish the Salaat, to give Zakaah, to fast in Ramadhaan, and to perform the Pilgrimage for the one who is able to do so. He said: You have spoken the truth. Inform me then about the Hour. The Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam said: The one who is being questioned knows no more than the one who is asking. He said: Then inform me about some of the signs. The Prophet said: When you see the slave-girl giving birth to a mistress and you see destitute shepherds naked, barefooted vying with one another in building tall buildings [1] – all the way to the end of the hadeeth. So, Islaam was pointed out as being three different levels – Ihsaan, Eemaan and Islaam.

The Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam taught us that the Jews divided amongst themselves into 71 groups, all of them in the fire except one. The Christians divided amongst themselves into 72, all of them in the fire except one. [2] The Muslims shall be divided into 73, all of them in the fire except one. Those who shall be saved are those who are upon what I am upon and my companions today. [3]

The Deen has a middle way. As Allaah mentions in the Qur’aan:

وَكَذَلِكَ جَعَلْنَاكُمْ أُمَّةً وَسَطاً لِّتَكُونُواْ شُهَدَاء عَلَى النَّاسِ وَيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ عَلَيْكُمْ شَهِيداً
{Thus We have made you [true Muslims – real believers of Islâmic Monotheism, true followers of Prophet Muhammad [salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam] and his Sunnah (legal ways)], a just (and the best) nation, that you will be witnesses over mankind and the Messenger (Muhammad [salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam]) will be a witness over you…} [Al-Baqarah 2:143]

In this life, we have a hadeeth of what will happen on the Day of Judgment when the Messengers will be questioned, have they conveyed the message and they will say yes. And then the nations will be asked and they will say no. And then the Messengers will be questioned, do you have any witnesses who will testify on your behalf and it will be said yes, the nation of Muhammad sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam. And so they will be a testimony that other Messengers conveyed the message and then the Prophet will also be a testimony[4] - and this is what is intended by the ayaah.

As for the Khawaarij, those are the ones who pass the judgment of takfeer because of sins and this is in contrast with the Murji’ah who say that actions are not a part of eemaan and is simply sufficient to have attestation with the heart and that actions are not a part of it. This goes against what the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam said when he said: You have to be on what I am upon and my companions – this shows actions. The Khawaarij, on the other hand, say that a person is a kaafir depending on the sins that he commits.

It is not lawful for anyone to transgress against anyone else for any unjust reason. This is something that’s defined in the hadeeth qudsi where Allaah subhanna wa ta’alaa says: I have made oppression haraam to myself and made it haraam amongst you; so do not oppress one another.[5] It is wrong whether it is done between states, or whether it is done between individuals or one group against an individual or an individual against a group of people. It is wrong to transgress on the rights of any individual. Allaah subhanna wa ta’alaa frees himself of oppression, so it is not permissible for anyone to transgress and to violate the rights of others without any just cause. This is Islaamically wrong.

[1] Reported by Muslim in Kitaab al-Eemaan (#8)

[2] Reported by Ibn Maajah 2/1322 in Kitaab al-Fitan (#3992), Shaikh Al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah) says Saheeh in Jaami' as-Sagheer (#1082) and Silsilah as-Saheehah 3/480 (#1492)

[3] Reported by At-Tirmidhee 5/26 (#2641), Shaikh Al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah) says Hasan in Jaami' as-Sagheer (#5343)

[4] Reported by Al-Bukhaaree in Kitaab al-Anbiyaa (#3161)

[5] Reported by Muslim in Kitaab al-Birr was-Silah wal-Adaab (#2577) part of a long hadeeth

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bombings that Occurred in London and in Public Places

Question: The question is regarding what recently took place of explosions in London, and which has been allegedly attributed to those who claim to be Muslims. However, we have learnt from our Scholars that Islaam is free from, and has nothing to do with such actions. Would you please clarify this?

Answer: What occurred in London of the actions of some of those who claim to be Muslim or adherents to Islaam, is actually something which gives a bad and evil picture of this Deen (Religion). These people are painting a bad and corrupted picture of Islaam to those in the West. We know that in the West there are philosophers and those amongst the Jews who know and recognize that the hearts of the population in the West are turning to Islaam and this is something they are not pleased with. They therefore point out these events in order to increase the enmity between the common people and Islaam.

The Prophet (Sallahualaihi Wassalam) warned against these types of actions. Once he saw that a lady was killed in a battle, and he even warned against that. One should not do this to the women, the children or the old people; these innocent individuals should not be harmed. Islaam warns against these things and we already mentioned that Islaam spread because of the good characteristics that people saw in the Muslims. Once when Mu'aawiyyah had a pledge with a State and the pledge was about to be broken he wanted to attack them but some of those around him said: "You have to honor your pledge and your trust."

A Muslim is not one who breaks his trust regarding Muslims or non-Muslims. These types of actions actually turn and twist the picture of Islaam in an adverse way. Islaam and the Muslims are all free of these types of acts. It is something that no Muslim agrees with. What will now happen to the Muslims because of this? The people who did this don't care. They don't show mercy to the Muslims nor do they show mercy to those who are not Muslims. They don't show mercy to the Muslims or the non-Muslims. We ask Allaah for sincerity and to allow us to honour this Deen, and not to disfigure it in the face of those who do not truly know about it."

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Reality of Suicide Bombing - Shaykh Saalih al Luhaydan

Question: There are some who say that suicide bombing is permissible. What is the proof for this? And how do we refute those who say it is permissible?

Answer: As for killing yourself, in Arabic they call this Istishaadiyyah ( استشهادية ) or (the act of) martyrdom. What they call "martyrdom" is (in reality) killing themselves and it is closer to suicide than it is to martyrdom. It is not permissible that an individual kills himself thinking that by killing himself he is giving victory to that which is haqq. This is not called shahaadah (شهادة - martyrdom) in Islaam, because shahaadah is going out and fighting and dying or being killed in the path of Allaah. But in the Islaamic fiqh (jurisprudence) this is not called shahaadah, where you go and kill yourself and you kill or hurt those around you, this is not called shahaadah in Islaam. Wallaahu musta'aan ( و الله المستعان- And Allaah's assistance is sought).

Last edited by a moderator:

adam_arb

Brother...I would like to remind you that by calling someone Khawaarij...you are in fact making takfir on them...which is a serious accusation.

Jazakhallah Khair

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Brother...I would like to remind you that by calling someone Khawaarij...you are in fact making takfir on them...which is a serious accusation.

Jazakhallah Khair

assalamu alaykum

He did not call anyone a khawarij. The Noble Shaykh is explaining the characteristics of these evil people who the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) warned us against.

Please be particular in the way you listen and be less hasty in putting up posts. Rather, try to understand the words of the Ulema. This will result in good for all.

These evil people exist from the early period of Islam upto the present day. They have various distinguishing traits. It is wrong for people to be silent and not call them by their actual name.

It is also advisable to learn the deen from the recognised people of knowledge, such as the great Imams and Fuqaha of this Ummah. That is what Shaykh Ghudayaan (hafizahullah) is.

assalamu alaykum

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum, good reminder especially with the crazy things happening these days in Nairobi.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam. Jazaakumallaahu khayran from bumping this! The situation of Muslims in some places is really getting out hand. May Allaah guide us all.