Shirk in daily salat?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
I can't drive this one question out of my mind, so I'll ask it here.

Isn't it commiting shirk to say every two rakat "Peace and blessings of Allah be upon you, O Prophet"? You're praying to the Prophet :)saw:) when you should only be praying to Allah!

It can't be like "talking to him" because he's dead, and therefore can't hear you unless Allah wills it. That's praying to him. It's the same as the Catholics do with their saints.

Please, can someone answer this question? Thanks!
:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

Hey bro... can u tell me what Asslamu alaykum means??

I think i'm going to let you think this out... read over your sentence and you will see that we are not praying 'to' the Prophet Muhammad (saws) merely sending our peace and blessings... it's not the same thing.. read and see for yourself. Besides... of all the people in the world, the one i would want most to send blessings upon would be my Prophet (saws) who worked every day after prophethood to spread Islam.

Btw... i'll look for the hadith but somewhere i read that if you give salaam to the Prophet (saws) that he (saws) returns your salaam.

This is what i thought... this is what i brought.

Allah knows best.

Wassalam.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
It means "Peace Be Upon You". And that answered my question, lol :D

I'd like to read that Hadith, though. JazakAllah Khair.

Your avatar is weird; just thought I should add that in :D

wayofthesalaf

It is not Shirk

As-Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

No brother, this is not Shirk and this is why. We are sending prayers upon the Prophet (SAW) and his family in similar manner as when we say 'salaallahu alayhi wa salaam' after uttering his name, or alayhis salaam after that of another messenger.

There is a big distinction between praying for someone and praying to them. When you pray for someone you are making du'a to asking Allah to bless them with something. Whereas when you pray to someone you are asking them for something. The latter of the two is Shirk, because we should only be turning to Allah in our prayers not an idol or a tree or grave.

So again, praying for someone is different then praying to them. La illaha ill Allah wa hadu la shareeka la (There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah alone without any partners or associates).

Catholics commit shirk daily in their prayers because they ask Jesus (AS) and Mary for things rather than Allah. You can suplicate (to Allah) for someone but you CANNOT suplicate to anyone other than Allah!

Hope this clears up the confusion. Remember Allah subhana wa ta'Ala is All-Knowing and All-Wise. He frequently warns mankind against comitting shirk, why than would He than have instructed His Messenger (SAW) when praying to commit the most hienous crime imaginable? The fact is He wouldn't. Because Allah is Perfect in all His Names and Attributes and He does not make mistakes.

masalaama,

your brother in Islam,

Ahmad

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

I'm looking for the hadith... very difficult though becuz i don't know what book in my house it's in... or what website... but i'm trying...

Your avatar is weird; just thought I should add that in

i call it recycling... i had it before, but i got bored... now it's back!

That's interesting... islam-qa.com is accepting questions now... haven't had that happen often, usually i'm at the wrong time...

Wassalam.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Found it!!

yea i found it! :D k... posting... (but i was too lazy to take out all the wierd question marks!!)

One who offers salat, Allah exalts him, forgives his sins and Allah?s blessings are upon him. Salat ascends the seeker?s supplication and gets a favourable reception from Allah. There is also no guarantee of the acceptance of a dua (supplication) without invoking blessings on the Prophet (saw). A tradition of the Holy Prophet (saw) states:
Fadalah bin ?Ubayd reported: Allah?s Messenger (saw) was sitting amongst us, there entered a person and he prayed as saying, "O Allah! Forgive me, have mercy upon me." Thereupon Allah?s Messenger (saw) said, "O worshipper! You have made haste in praying. When you pray and sit (at the end) laud Allah of what He is worthy of and send blessings upon me and then supplicate Him." The narrator said: Then another man prayed after him and he lauded Allah and invoked blessings of Allah upon the Prophet (saw), and the Prophet (saw) said to him, "O worshipper! Make a supplication and it would be responded."[6]

Once ?Umar bin Khattab (rta) said to his nation:
The supplication is stopped between the heaven and the earth and nothing of it ascends, till you invoke blessing on your Prophet (saw).[7]

There is also a distinction in the type of reward given to Believers, dependent upon whether they send salat, dua, prayers on to the Prophet (saw) or send salam, peace on to the Holy Prophet (saw). The difference in reward is of type and degree. In the case of sending salat upon the Prophet (saw), believers receive ujrat, ?spiritual wages? for their act. Just as a labourer will be given reward for his hard work in the form of monetary wages, a Believer who sends prayers receives spiritual wages in the form of forgiveness and blessings form Allah (swt). The Noble Prophet (saw) has guaranteed the intercession for those who send salutations if they ask Allah for it. ?Abdullah bin ?Amr bin al-Aas (rta) reported that he heard the Prophet (saw) saying:
When you hear the mu?adhdhin, repeat what he says, then invoke blessings on me for every one who invokes blessings on me once, will receive ten blessings from Allah. Then ask Allah for the waseelah to be granted to me. It is a position in paradise that may not be granted to any but one of Allah?s servants, and I dearly hope that I will be that servant. Whoever asks Allah for the was&eelah for me, my intercession is guaranteed for him.[8]

This reward has also been carefully designated by Almighty Allah and its degree fixed. The Holy Prophet (saw) said:
He who invokes blessings upon me once, Allah showers ten blessings upon him and obliterates (his) ten sins and elevates him by ten ranks.[9]

He who blesses me once, Allah blesses him ten times.[10]

?Abdullah bin Masood (rta) reported Allah?s Messenger (saw) as saying:
The one who will be nearest me on the Day of Resurrection will be the one who invoked most blessings on me.[11]

Abu Talhah (rta) narrated assigning it to his father:
Allah?s Messenger came one day with a gleaming countenance and said, "Jibreel came to me and said," (Verily your Lord says,) "Muhammad! Does it not please you that one amongst your Ummah should invoke blessings on you and I should bless him ten times and one amongst your Ummah should send greetings of peace to you and I should send ten greetings of peace upon him.[12]

If a believer sends salam upon the Prophet (saw) the reward is much higher in rank and degree. Muslims who pay salam upon the Prophet (saw) will be given a reply and have the same returned to them by Almighty Allah and the angels. Prophet Muhammad (saw) stated:
There is no Muslim who invokes blessings upon me (salutes me), but Allah returns to me my soul till I respond to him in return.[13]

Abu Hurayrah (rta) reported the Prophet (saw) said:
There is no Muslim in the east and the west who salutes me, but I and the angels of my Lord answer him.[14]

?Abd-ur-Rahman bin ?Awf (rta) narrates that the Prophet (saw) said:
I met Jibril who said: I give you good news that Allah has said, "Whosoever asks for peace for you, I ask for peace for him, whosoever blesses you, I bless him."[15]

Amir bin Rabeeah (rta), on his father?s authority, said that he heard the Prophet (saw) saying:
The angels will continue to bless anyone who blesses me, as long as he continues to do so, so the servant should either reduce or enhance this.[16]

Ibn Wahb (rta) related that the Prophet (saw) said:
Whosoever asks for peace on me ten times, it is as if he has freed a slave.[17]

To be honoured with a reply and blessings is a great and prestigious reward. Sending the salute of peace upon the Prophet (saw) is the fulfillment of the command of Allah (swt) but the reward of a reply is the love of the Prophet (saw) for his Ummah. Through a reply a believer obtains spiritual attachment, nearness and proximity known as qurbat. In sending salat, the reward is fixed by Allah (swt). A Muslim will receive his tenfold reward or expiation of ten sins. In the case of sending peace and blessings, a Muslim receives manifold blessings in return. These blessings are multiple and great in number since the Prophet (saw) is grand in his mercy.

Through salat the conveyance of a dua, prayers to be sent to the Prophet (saw) create an indirect link with him, since sins will be forgiven through the Prophet?s intercession. However sending salām is an opportunity to send a direct address upon him creating a direct link with him. Out of his love and compassion Prophet Muhammad (saw) has made it incumbent upon himself to reply. He becomes happy from the addresses of his followers and blesses them too.

Despite this distinction this does not mean that we should only send salam upon the Prophet saw) as opposed to salat. In fact both of them should be sent according to the commandment. However, Allah out of His infinite mercy has allowed Muslims to benefit manifold from their acts.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

6. Tirmidhi related in al-Jai?-us-saheeh, b. of da?awat (supplications) ch.65 (5: 516 # 3476) and graded it hasan (fair).

7. Tirmidhi related in al-Jami?-us-saheeh, b. of salat (prayer) ch.352 (2: 356 # 486).

8. Muslim, as-Saheeh, b. of salat (prayer) ch.7 (1: 288-9 # 384); Abu Dawood, Sunan, b. of salāt (prayer) 1: 144 (# 523); Tirmidhi, al-Jami?-us-saheeh, b. of manaqib (virtues and merits of the Prophet and his companions) ch.1 (5: 586-7 # 3614); Nasai;, Sunan, b. of adhān (the call to prayer) 2: 25-6; Ahmad bin Hambal, Musnad (2:168); Ibn Khuzaymah, as-Saheeh, 1: 219 (# 418); Muhammad Khateeb Tabraizi, Mishkat-ul-Masabeeh, b. of salat (prayer) ch.5 (1: 215 # 657); Husayn bin Masood Baghawi;, Sharh-us-sunnah, 2: 284-5 (# 421); ?Ala?-ud-Din ?Ali, Kanz-ul-?Ummal, 7: 700 (# 20998).

9. Nasi, Sunan, b. of sahw (unintentional mistake), 3: 50; Ahmad bin Hambal, Musnad, 3: 102 & 261; Muhammad Hakim, al-Mustadrak, 1:550, and Dhahabi also graded it saheeh (sound).

10. Muslim, as-Saheeh, b. of salat (prayer) ch. 17 (1: 251 # 408).

11. Transmitted by Tirmidhi in his Sunan, b. of salāt (prayer), ch. 352 (2: 354 # 484); Bukhari, at-Tireekh-ul-kabeer, (5: 177 # 559); Baghawi, Sharh-us-sunnah, (3: 197 # 686); Muhammad Khateeb Tabraizi, Mishkat-ul-masabeeh, b. of salāt (prayer), ch. 16 (1: 278 # 923); Dhahabi, Meezan-ul-i?tidal fi naqd-ir-rijal, (4: 228 # 8945).

12. Nasai, Sunan, b. of sahw (unintentional mistake), 3: 50.

13. Abu Dawood, Sunan, b. of manasik (rituals of hajj), (2: 218 # 2041); Ahmad bin Hambal, Musnad, 2:527.

14. Abu Nu?aym Asbahani, Hilyat-ul-awliya? wa tabaqat-ul-asfiya?,6: 349.

15. Muhammad Hakim transmitted it in al-Mustadrak (1:222-3) and Dhahabi also confirmed it; Bayhaqi in Sunan-ul-kubra (2:371 & 9:286); Qadi ?Iyad in ash-Shifa, 2:650.

16. Ibn Majah, Sunan, b. of iqamat-us-salat was-sunnah fiha (establishing prayer and its sunnahs) ch.25 (1:294#907); Ahmad bin Hambal, Musnad (3:445); Husayn bin Masood Baghawi, Sharh-us-sunnah (3:198#688); Qadi ?Iyad, ash-Shifa (2:651).

Hope it helps...

Wassalam.

Noor to shine

<<There is no Muslim who invokes blessings upon me (salutes me), but Allah returns to me my soul till I respond to him in return>>
I think that the wisdom of that ( we sent peace and blessings upon the prophet) that our hearts -we muslems- be in a close touch with heavens and that we never lean to ground ......our hearts should be binded to heavens where we meat our beloved prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

another related question…

Can the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) hear those who call upon him when he is in his grave?

Question:

Some people believe that the Prophet Muhamamd [(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] is "Shaheed" and is in BArzakh where he can hear us if we send 'darood' on him and also if we ask his 'wasta' [by virtue of his closeness to Allah]in praying to God.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is alive in his grave in the sense of the life of al-barzakh, so he enjoys the blessings that Allaah has prepared for him as a reward for his great good actions that he did in this world. But the life in the grave is not like the life of this world, or the life in the Hereafter. Rather it is the life of al-barzakh which comes in between his life in this world and his life in the Hereafter. Hence we know that he died as other Prophets and other people before him died. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We granted not to any human being immortality before you (O Muhammad); then if you die, would they live forever?”

[al-Anbiya’ 21:34]

“Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish.

And the Face of your Lord full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever”

[al-Rahmaan 55:26,27]

“Verily, you (O Muhammad) will die, and verily, they (too) will die”

[al-Zumar 39:30]

And there are other verses which also indicate that Allaah caused him to die. Moreover, the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) washed him, shrouded him, offered the funeral prayer for him and buried him; if he had been alive in the worldly sense, they would not have done the same as is done for others who die.

Faatimah (may Allaah be pleased with her) asked Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) for her inheritance from her father (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) because she was convinced that he had died, and no one among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) differed with her concerning that. Rather Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) responded to her request by saying that nothing could be inherited from the Prophets.

The Sahaabah agreed unanimously to choose a khaleefah for the Muslims to succeed the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and that was done with the appointment of Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) as khaleefah. If the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had been alive in a worldly sense, they would not have done that. So this indicates that there was consensus among them that he had indeed died.

When the tribulations (fitan) and problems increased during the time of ‘Uthmaan and ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with them both), and before and after that, they did not go to his grave to consult him or ask him for a way out of those tribulations and problems, or the way to solve them. If he had been alive in a worldly sense, they would not have overlooked that when they were in such great need of someone to save them from the trials that surrounded them.

With regard to the soul of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it is in the highest part of ‘Illiyyeen, because he is the best of creation, and because Allaah has given him al-waseelah which is the highest position in Paradise.

The life of al-barzakh is a special life. The Prophets and the shuhada’ (martyrs) are alive in al-barzakh as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Prophets are alive and they pray in their graves.” (Narrated by al-Mundhiri and al-Bayhaqi who classed it as saheeh because of corroborating reports in al-Saheehayn.)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not of those who are killed in the way of Allaah, ‘They are dead.’ Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not”

[al-Baqarah 2:154]

This is a special life, the nature of which is known to Allaah. It is not like the life of this world in which the soul remains with the body.

The basic principle concerning the dead is that they do not hear the words of the living sons of Adam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but you cannot make hear those who are in graves”

[Faatir 35:22]

Allaah confirmed that those whom he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) was calling to Islam could not hear, by likening them to the dead. There is nothing in the Qur’aan or in the saheeh Sunnah to indicate that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) can hear every du’aa’ or call from human beings. Rather it is proven that the only thing that reaches him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the blessings and salaams of those who send blessings and salaams upon him. This was narrated by Abu Dawood, 2041, with a hasan isnaad from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no one who sends salaams upon me but Allaah will restore to me my soul so that I may return his salaams.” This does not mean that he hears the words of the one who sends salaams. Rather it is possible that he comes to know of those salaams when the angels convey that to him. If we assume that he hears the words of the one who sends salaams, this is an exception from the general rule, as in the case of the dead hearing the footsteps of those who carry his bier, and as in the case of the slain kuffaar in the well at Badr who heard the call of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he said to them: “Have you found your Lord’s promise to be true? For we have found our Lord’s promise to be true.” (See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/313, 318, 321).

With regard to calling upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and asking him directly, this is the essence of shirk which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was sent to forbid and to fight against its people. For more details on the ruling on that, see Question no. 10289, 11402, 1439. We ask Allaah to bring the Muslims back to the right path. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon his Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Delyan

As-Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

No brother, this is not Shirk and this is why. We are sending prayers upon the Prophet (SAW) and his family in similar manner as when we say 'salaallahu alayhi wa salaam' after uttering his name, or alayhis salaam after that of another messenger.

There is a big distinction between praying for someone and praying to them. When you pray for someone you are making du'a to asking Allah to bless them with something. Whereas when you pray to someone you are asking them for something. The latter of the two is Shirk, because we should only be turning to Allah in our prayers not an idol or a tree or grave.

So again, praying for someone is different then praying to them. La illaha ill Allah wa hadu la shareeka la (There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah alone without any partners or associates).

Catholics commit shirk daily in their prayers because they ask Jesus (AS) and Mary for things rather than Allah. You can suplicate (to Allah) for someone but you CANNOT suplicate to anyone other than Allah!

Hope this clears up the confusion. Remember Allah subhana wa ta'Ala is All-Knowing and All-Wise. He frequently warns mankind against comitting shirk, why than would He than have instructed His Messenger (SAW) when praying to commit the most hienous crime imaginable? The fact is He wouldn't. Because Allah is Perfect in all His Names and Attributes and He does not make mistakes.

masalaama,

your brother in Islam,

Ahmad

Dear Brother, it was already clear for me but I just wanna thank you for the way u ve shown up that nuance and the way u argued it Mash Allah,It might help many ppl..especially no muslims who may read it ...I hope so in any case
jazak Allah kheer,

sis delyan
wa salaam