Showing only 1 eye

MubarekMuslimah

Assalaamu alaikum

I wear hijaab but not niqaab. A sister told me that in the Quran it says that a woman should not show ANY skin at all and everything should be covered except 1 eye. I asked her for surah and ayat but have not heard anything yet......but this is not the 1st time I have heard this so can anyone else help?:confused:

I have not found anywhere in Quran where it says the whole woman should be covered except 1 eye. She was very specific that it was Quran and not hadith too, so I am confused. Is this correct? If so could someone post me the evidence from Quran please? Wouldn't this contradict the hadith where the Prophet pbuh said that it is not befitting of a woman to reveal anything but her face and hands after puberty? and what about the line the Quran where it says we should not expose 'except that which appears ordinarily there of' which is generally understood to be face and hands?

I'm confused!:shymuslima1:

Jazak'allah khair

Salaams

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
WA alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

There is difference of opinion on this matter. There are scholars who say hijab is to cover the hair, shoulders and body, but excludes the face and hands.

There are other Scholars who explain the Quranic verses differently to include covering the face and hands.

As for the eye, there is hadith that women would cover and leave a single eye. This is a woman's choice. If you wish you can even cover both eyes!

I am of the opinion that the Niqab(face veil) is mustahab (Recommended), and not obligatory. This is the opinion of a lot of the scholars that i have spent a bit of time with have said.

The Prophets wives did wear niqab, but the Prophet :saw: never himself commanded all the women to wear face veil.

Course, you can make your own informed opinion,

You can see an earlier discussion here sister :

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2063

wasalam.

Kanini

confused..

asalamu aleykum

hi my name is kanini and i have a question about this thread. i think its was posted by u or sumtin. im not trying to b rude or anything since im 14 and u r my elder but i need to understand.

Here is a glossary of some terms that are used on this website, for both Muslim and non-Muslim visitors.

Allah The One God

Awra The part of a person's body that must be covered before everybody but a spouse; for men this is from navel to knee, for women from upper chest to knee. It may also be used to refer to what must be concealed of a woman before non-related men.

Ayah Literally means "sign"; used to refer to a verse of the Quran, each of which is a sign of God. Plural is "ayat"
Bid'a Literally means "innovation"; it refers to adding an obligation to the religion that God and the Prophet Muhammad did not do. Some Muslims feel that adding anything at all to the religion, even if it's not an obligation, is a bid'a
Dalil Evidence that is brought from Quran and Sunna to prove a point. For instance, to make a claim about the status of the face veil, one must present dalils

If this is so y do muslimahs cover the whole body if only chest-to-knee s necessary. Is there a deeper meaning?????

:shymuslima1:

subhanallah

Qaabila

Wouldn't this contradict the hadith where the Prophet pbuh said that it is not befitting of a woman to reveal anything but her face and hands after puberty?

:salam2:

Regarding that particular hadeeth...

-------------------------------------

Question:

In a Hadeeth, Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) ordered that a woman who reaches puberty is forbidden from showing her hands and face, and that is the Hijaab. Is there any Hadeeth which indicate that covering the face and hands is also compulsory?
Answer:

In his Sunan, Abu Dawud recorded this Hadeeth in the chapter "What a Woman May Show Of Her Beauty." He said, "Ya'qub bin Ka'b Al-Antaki and Mu'mmal bin Al-Fadhl Al-Harani narrated to us, they said; Al-Walid narrated to us from Sa'id bin Bashir, from Qatadah, from Khalid, (Ya'qub said: 'Ibn Durayk') from 'Aishah, may Allaah be pleased with her, that Asma' bint Abu Bakr, may Allaah be pleased with her, entered upon the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) and she was wearing a very thin garment. The Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) turned away and said,

يا أسماء إن المرأة إذ بلغت المحيض لم تصلح أن يري منها إلا هذا وهذا وأشار إلى وجهه وكفيه

"O Asma'! Indeed when a woman begins to menstruate, it is not correct to see from her except this and this." (Abu Dawud no. 4104)

And he pointed to his face and hands."

The Hadeeth is Mursal[1] because Khalid bin Durayk never met 'Aishah, may Allaah be pleased with her. Also, Sa'id bin Bashir Al-Azdi — or Al-Basri as he was originally from Al-Basrah — has been graded trustworthy by some of the scholars of Hadeeth, while Ahmad, Ibn Ma'in, Ibn Al-Madini, An-Nisa'i, Al-Hakim, and Abu Dawud all graded him weak. Muhammad bin 'Abdullah bin Numayr said about Sa'id: "His narrations of Hadeeths are Munkar (rejected), he is nothing," and: "He is not strong in Hadeeth, he narrates Munkar things from Qatadah." Ibn Hibban said, "His memory is poor and he makes enormous mistakes, narrating from Qatadah things that others do not." As-Saji said: "He narrated some Munkar things from Qatadah."

In this Hadeeth, he is narrating from Qatadah. Then, Qatadah is himself a Mudalis,[2] and he is narrating this Hadeeth from Khalid bin Durayk, while the chain also contains Al-Walid, who is, Ibn Muslim and he is a Mudalis, and his Tadlis is the same, and Qatadah is above him in the chain. So with all of this, it is clear that this Hadeeth is weak from many angles.

And with Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right. May Allaah send peace and blessings upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and his Companions.

[1] A Mursal narration is one in which the link between the narrator and the Prophet (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) is not certain.

[2] A Mudalis is one who commits Tadlis. That is, narrating with wording that does not clearly convey whether he actually heard what he is narrating (say, "From" instead of "Narrated to us," or the like) or, distorting the name of the person he is narrating from so that it will not be obvious that he is narrating from someone whose narrations are disparaged.

سنن أبي داود

باب فيما تبدي المرأة من زينتها

[ 4104 ]

حدثنا يعقوب بن كعب الأنطاكي ومؤمل بن الفضل الحراني قالا ثنا الوليد عن سعيد بن بشير عن قتادة عن خالد قال يعقوب بن دريك عن عائشة رضى الله تعالى عنها أن أسماء بنت أبي بكر دخلت على رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وعليها ثياب رقاق فأعرض عنها رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وقال يا أسماء إن المرأة إذ بلغت المحيض لم تصلح أن يري منها إلا هذا وهذا وأشار إلى وجهه وكفيه قال أبو داود هذا مرسل خالد بن دريك لم يدرك عائشة رضى الله تعالى عنها

Permanent Committee for Research and Verdicts
Fatawa Islamiyah, Vol. 7, Pages 186-188, DARUSSALAM

-----------------

:wasalam:

Qaabila

Awra The part of a person's body that must be covered before everybody but a spouse; for men this is from navel to knee, for women from upper chest to knee. It may also be used to refer to what must be concealed of a woman before non-related men. [/COLOR]

Ayah Literally means "sign"; used to refer to a verse of the Quran, each of which is a sign of God. Plural is "ayat"
Bid'a Literally means "innovation"; it refers to adding an obligation to the religion that God and the Prophet Muhammad did not do. Some Muslims feel that adding anything at all to the religion, even if it's not an obligation, is a bid'a
Dalil Evidence that is brought from Quran and Sunna to prove a point. For instance, to make a claim about the status of the face veil, one must present dalils

If this is so y do muslimahs cover the whole body if only chest-to-knee s necessary. Is there a deeper meaning?????

:shymuslima1:

Dear Kanini, that is a good question because the quoted statement is contradictory.. or at least a bit unclear.

Awra The part of a person's body that must be covered before everybody but a spouse; for men this is from navel to knee, for women from upper chest to knee. It may also be used to refer to what must be concealed of a woman before non-related men.

For women this upper chest to knee refers to mahrams (certain male relatives with whom you can't get married) and other women. There's a second phrase that somehow indicates this "It may also be used to refer to what must be concealed of a woman before non-related men".

Maybe there's a need to write this clearer inshaAllaah?