Signs of the Messengers

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Answers to his Prayers

(Mu’jizaat al-Mustafa by Khayr ad-Deen Waa'ili, Pp. 61).

The mother of Abu Hurayrah was guided by the prayer of the Messenger :saw:

It is narrated that Abu Hurayrah (radhiyAllaahu anh) said:

"I used to call my mother to Islam when she was a mushrikah. I called her one day, and she said something about the Messenger of Allah :saw: that I did not like to hear. I came to the Messenger of Allah :saw: weeping.

I said,

'O' Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah to guide the mother of Abu Hurayrah.'

He said,

'O' Allah, guide the mother of Abu Hurayrah.'

I went out, feeling optimistic because of the prayer of the Prophet :saw:. When I reached my house, I found the door closed.

I heard my mother's footsteps and she said,

'Stay where you are!'

Then I heard the sound of water. She washed herself then got dressed and put on her khimaar (head covering).

She then opened the door and said,

'O' Abu Hurayrah, I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.'

I went back to the Messenger of Allah, weeping with joy. He praised Allah and uttered very good words."

(Muslim).

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Jareer became a horseman because of his prayer

Both Bukhari and Muslim narrated from Jareer ibn 'Abdullah who said:

The Messenger of Allah :saw: said to me,

"Will you not get rid of Dhu'l-Khalasah for me?'

(Dhu'l-Khalasah - This was the house of the false gods of Khath`am, which was known as the Kebab of Al-Yamaamah).

I said,

'Of course.'

I was not a strong horseman and I mentioned that to the Messenger of Allah :saw:. He struck me hard on the chest, so that I could see the mark left by his hand, and said,

'O' Allah, make him a strong horseman and make him one who guides and is guided.'

I never fell off my horse after that. I set out with one hundred and fifty brave horsemen of Quraysh, and we burned it with fire and destroyed it.
It is further narrated by both Bukhari and Muslim that Anas (radhiyAllaahu anh) said,

"The people were stricken with a year of famine during the time of the Messenger of Allah :saw:. Whilst the Prophet was delivering sermon one Friday, a Bedouin stood up and said,

'O' Messenger of Allah, our wealth has been destroyed and our children are starving; pray to Allah for us.

He raised his hands, and we could not see even the smallest cloud in the sky, but by the One in Whose hand is my soul, no sooner had he lowered his hands the clouds began to build like mountains, and hardly had he come down from the minbar, when I saw the rain dripping from his beard.

It rained all that day, and the following day, and until the following Friday, when the same Bedouin or another stood up and said,

`O' Messenger of Allah, our buildings are destroyed and our property is drowned; pray to Allah for us.'

So he raised his hands and said,

'O' Allah, (let it rain) around us and not on us.'

No sooner did he point to the clouds in any direction, they withdrew, and Madeenah was surrounded by clouds but there were no clouds over it, and the valley of Qanaa flowed with water for a month, and nobody came from any direction but he spoke of the rain.

According to another report he said,

'O' Allah, (let it rain) around us and not on us; O' Allah (let it rain) on the hills and mountains and the valley bottoms and the groves of trees.'

Then it stopped and we went out walking in the sun."

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The hand of an arrogant person was affected by his prayer

Muslim narrated from Salamah ibn al-Akwa' that,

"A man was eating in the presence of the Messenger of Allah, using his left hand.

He said,

'Eat with your right hand.'

The man said,

'I cannot.'

The Prophet :saw: said,

'May you never be able to.'

Nothing was preventing him from doing so except his arrogance. Salamah said, he never raised it to his mouth again after that."

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The blessing of the Messenger's prayer reached the camel of Jaabir

Both Bukhari and Muslim narrated from Jaabir who said:

"I went out on a military campaign with the Messenger of Allah :saw:, and I was riding a camel used for carrying water. The camel was thus exhausted and could hardly walk. The Prophet :saw: joined me and said,

'What is the matter with your camel?'

I said,

'It is exhausted.'

The Messenger of Allah :saw: dropped behind, shouted at the camel and prayed for it, and from that point onwards the camel was always ahead of the others.

He said to me,

'How do you find your camel?'

I said,

'It is well, your blessing has reached it.'

He said,

‘Will you sell it to me for one wiqiyah (of gold)?'

I sold it to him on the condition that I ride it back to Madeenah. When the Messenger of Allah :saw: reached Madeenah, I brought the camel to him the next morning and he gave me its price and then gave it back to me."

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Healing the Sick

(Mu'jizaat al-Mustafa by Khayr ad-Deen Waa'ili)

He healed a person whose leg was broken

It is narrated that Al-Baraa' said: The Messenger of Allah :saw: sent a group of people to Abu Raafi'.

(Abu Raafi` was a Jew who was the bitterest enemy of the Messenger of
Allah :saw:; he broke the treaty and attacked him in verse).

" 'Abdullah ibn 'Ateek entered his house one night when he was sleeping and killed him. 'Abdullah ibn 'Ateek said:

'I thrust my sword into his stomach until it came out of his back, then I knew that I had killed him. I then came back. To open the doors I put my leg on the step. I stumbled and fell on a moonlit night, and broke my leg. I wrapped it with my turban and went to my companions, then I came to the Prophet :saw: and told him (what had happened).

He said,

'Stretch forth your leg.'

So I stretched forth my leg and he wiped it with his hand, and it was as if nothing had happened to it."

(Bukhari).

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
He salla-Allahu 'Alayhi wa-Sallam healed the eyes of 'Ali ibn Abi Taalib

Both Bukhari and Muslim narrated from Sahl ibn Sa'd that on the day of Khaybar, the Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

"Tomorrow I will give this banner to a man at whose hands Allah will grant victory. He loves Allah and His Messenger, and Allah and His Messenger love him.'

The following morning, the people came to the Messenger of Allah, each of them hoping that he would be given the banner.

He said,

'Where is 'Ali ibn Abi Taalib?'

They said,

'O' Messenger of Allah, he has something wrong with his eyes.'

He said,

'Send for him.'

He was brought to him, then the Messenger of Allah spat in his eyes, and he was healed and it appeared as if he had never suffered any pain. Then he gave him the banner, and 'Ali said,

`O' Messenger of Allah, shall I fight them until they are like us?'

He said,

'Set out, and take it easy until you reach their territory, then call them to Islam and tell them what duties they have towards Allah. For by Allah, if Allah were to guide one man at your hands, that would be better for you than having red camels.’”

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The shin of Salamah ibn al-Akwa`

Bukhari narrated that Yazeed ibn Abi `Ubayd said:

"I saw the mark of a blow on the shin of Salamah ibn al Akwa',

- and I said -

'O' Abu Muslim, what is this blow?'

He said,

'A blow that I had on the day of Khaybar. The people said, Salamah has been wounded. I came to the Prophet :saw: and he blew on it three times, and I never noticed it until now."'

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
He expelled the jinn from one who was possessed

It is narrated that Yalaa ibn Murrah ath-Thaqafi said:

"We were on a campaign with the Messenger of Allah, and we passed by a well. A woman brought a son of hers who was possessed by the jinn. The Prophet :saw: took hold of his nose and said,

'Come out! I am Muhammad the Messenger of Allah!'

Then we moved on, and when we came back to that place (the woman was there at the well).

He :saw: asked her about the boy. She said,

'By the One Who sent you with the truth, we have never seen anything wrong with him since. "'

(Sharh as-Sunnah; narrated by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad (4/172) with a saheeh isnad; also in Al-Mishkaat (3/188), edited by our shaykh Muhammad Naasiruddeen al-Albaani).

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
He told of unseen matters

Among the information of the unseen, he :saw: spoke of Allah and His names, attributes and actions; he spoke of the angels and their attributes; he spoke of the world of the jinn, and of Paradise and Hell. He spoke of events which happened in the past, as he spoke of Adam, Nooh (Noah), Hood (Hud), Saalih, Ibraaheem (Abraham), Moosa (Moses), 'Eesa (Jesus) and other Prophets and Messengers, and what happened between them and their peoples. He spoke in detail of these matters, the like of which could not be produced by an un-lettered man who could neither read nor write, who did not mix with those who had studied history of the nations and knew about them.

Moreover, he brought information which had not come to the knowledge of the world, information which the scholars of the People of the Book had concealed. He corrected a great deal of the information they had. All of this indicates that he brought this knowledge from the All-Knowing, All-Aware. In the words of the Qur'an:

This is of the news of the Unseen which We reveal unto you [O' Muhammad :saw:]; neither you nor your people knew it before this...

(Qur 'aan 11: 49)

The Qur'an refers to this knowledge in a number of places, such as what is said in the context of the story of Maryam (Mary):

...You were not with them, when they cast lots with their pens as to which of them should be charged with the care of Maryam [Mary]; nor were you with them when they disputed.

(Qur 'aan 3: 44)

Similarly in the context of the story of Moosa (Moses) the Qur'an informs:

And you [O' Muhammad :saw:] were not at the side of the Toor [Mount] when We did call [it is said that Allah called the followers of Muhammad :saw:, and they answered His Call, or that Allah called Moosa (Moses)]. But [you are sent] as a mercy from your Lord, to give warning to a people to whom no warner had come before you, in order that they may remember or receive admonition.

(Qur 'aan 28: 46)

To cite further he told of unseen matters at the time when they were happening.

Imam Bukhari recorded that,

"He spoke of the martyrdom of the three Muslim leaders at the battle of Mu'tah, and of Khaalid ibn al-Waleed's taking up the flag after they had died on the day on which the event took place.

(Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh 1/172).

When the Negus died, he told of his passing on the same day; the same happened when Chosroes died.

He also foretold unseen events which were yet to come. Some of them already happened at the forecasted time during his time and some happened after some time as he foretold and others will follow.

Another example is that he foretold the places where the leaders of the kuffaar (disbelievers) would fall in battle, before the battle of Badr began.

Muslim narrated that Anas (radhiyAllaahu anh) said:

"The Messenger of Allah :saw: mobilised the people, then they set out until they stopped at Badr.

The Messenger of Allah said,

'Here is the place where So and so will fall,' and he put his hand on the ground here and there.'

Then none of them passed the spot where the Messenger of Allah :saw: had put his hand, (but the persons named by him fell)."

(Ibid, 3/167)

Again he spoke of the unseen matters that were to happen after his death. For example, Abu Hurayrah (radhiyAllaahu anh) narrated that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said,

"When Chosroes dies, there will be no Chosroes after him, and when Caesar dies, there will be no Caesar after him. By the One in Whose hand is my soul, their wealth will be spent for the sake of Allah."

- This has been narrated by Bukhari, Muslim and Tirmidhi.

(Jaami`al-Usool, 12/59).

And it happened as the Prophet :saw: had foretold.

The Messenger :saw: often spoke of the events that were to happen in the future.

Hudhayfah ibn al-Yamaan said:

"The Messenger of Allah :saw: stood before us and he did not leave out anything that was to happen between that day and the onset of the Hour except he told us about it. Those who memorised it memorised it, and those who forgot it forgot it. These Companions of mine know it, but there may be some things that I have forgotten, but when I see it happen I remember, just as a man remembers the face of a man who has been away from him, and when he sees him he recognizes him."

- This hadith is narrated by Bukhari, Muslim and Abu Dawood.

(Ibid, 12/63)

Similarly he spoke of the tribulations and signs of the Hour, etc, mentioned in the books of hadith.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The sorrow of the tree stump

In Saheeh al-Bukhari and elsewhere it is narrated that the Messenger of Allah :saw: used to deliver sermons leaning on a tree stump. When, after the construction of the pulpit, he started to use the minbar, the tree stump was filled with sorrow and its cry could be heard. He came to it and touched it. According to Bukhari's report,

"When the minbar was built, we heard a sound like the sound of a camel coming from the tree stump, until the Messenger of Allah :saw: came down and placed his hand on it."

(Jaami’ al-Usool, 12/68)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The trees submitted to him, greeted him with salaam and spoke to him

(Mu’jizaat al-Mustafa, Pp. 84).

Muslim narrated from Jaabir that he said:

"We went out on a campaign with the Messenger of Allah :saw:, and we stopped in a wide valley. The Messenger of Allah went to relieve himself, but he did not see anything behind which to conceal himself, apart from two trees on the edge of the valley.

The Messenger of Allah :saw: went to one of them, took hold of one of its branches and said,

'Follow me by the will of Allah,'

- and it followed him like a camel led by its nose ring in the hand of its rider. Then he came to the other tree, took hold of one of its branches and said,

'Follow me by the will of Allah.'

So it also followed him. Then he stood between the two trees and said,

'Come together and cover me by the will of Allah'

- and they joined together. I sat thinking to myself, then I saw the Messenger of Allah :saw: coming towards me, and the two trees had separated and each of them was standing in its place."

It is narrated that Ya`laa ibn Murrah ath-Thaqafi said:

"We went out on a campaign with the Messenger of Allah :saw:, and stopped to rest. The Prophet fell asleep, and a tree came, plowing through the earth, and came close to him, then it went back to its place. When the Messenger of Allah woke up, I told him about that and he said:

'That is a tree which asked its Lord for permission to greet the Messenger of Allah :saw:, and permission was granted to it.’”

(Sharh as-Sunnah; Also narrated by Ahmad. Its isnad is da`eef (weak) but there is a corroborating report in the hadith of Jaabir narrated by Ad-Daarimi, 1/10. The story is sound as our Shaykh Al-Albaani said in his commentary on Al-Mishkaat, 3/188).

Daarimi narrated from Anas (radhiyAllaahu anh) that he said:

"Jibreel (Gabriel) (aalayhis-salaam) came to the Prophet :saw: when he was sitting upset, stained with blood because of the persecution of the people of Makkah.

He said,

'O' Messenger of Allah, would you like us to show a sign?'

He said,

'Yes.'

He looked at a tree that was behind him and said,

'Call it.'

So he called it and it came and stood before him. Then he said,

'Tell it to go back.'

So he told it to go back and it did so. The Messenger of Allah at said,

`(That is) sufficient for me, (that is) sufficient for me."

(Its isnad is saheeh as mentioned in Al-Mishkaat 3/188).

Imam Tirmidhi narrated from Ibn 'Abbaas that he said:

"A Bedouin came to the Messenger of Allah :saw: and said,

'How can I know that you are a Prophet?'

He said,

'If I call this bunch of dates from this palm-tree, it will bear witness that I am the Messenger of Allah.'

So the Messenger of Allah called it, and it came down from the palm-tree until it came to the Prophet. Then he said,

`Go back,'

- and it went back. Then the Bedouin entered Islam."

(He (Tirmidhi) classed it as saheeh).

Both Bukhari and Muslim narrated from Haqq ibn ‘Abdur-Rahmaan that he said:

I heard my father say, I asked Masrooq,

"How did the Prophet :saw: know about the jinn on the night when they listened to him reciting Qur'an?"

He said,

"Your father - meaning 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood - told me that he said, 'a tree told him about that.’”

(Bukhari and Muslim).

Daarimi narrated from Ibn `Umar:

"We were with the Prophet :saw: on a journey. A Bedouin came and when he was near, the Messenger of Allah said to him:

`Do you bear witness that there is no god except Allah alone, with no partner or associate, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger?'

He said,

'Who bears witness to what you have said?'

He said,

'This desert tree.'

The Messenger of Allah :saw: called it, and he was standing on the edge of the valley. The tree came, plowing through the earth, and stood before him, and bore witness three times that he was as he had said, then it went back to its place."

(Its isnad is saheeh as our Shaykh, Muhammad Naasiruddeen al-Albaani said, in his commentary on Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, 3/189).

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The greeting of the rock

Muslim and Tirmidhi narrated from Jaabir ibn Samurah that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

"I know a rock in Makkah which used to greet me before my mission began. I still know which one it is."

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The complaint of the camel

It is narrated that Yalaa ibn Murrah ath-Thaqafi said:

"Whilst we were on a journey with the Messenger of Allah :saw:, we passed by a camel which carried drinking water on its back. When the camel saw him, it started to make noise and it rested the front part of its neck on the ground. The Prophet :saw: went and stood beside it and said,

'Where is the owner of this camel?'

The man came to him, and he (the Prophet) said,

'Sell it to me.'

He said,

'No, I will give it to you, O' Messenger of Allah, but it belongs to a family who has no other source of livelihood.'

He said,

If that is the case (you do not have to give it to me), but it complained to me that it is being overworked and underfed, so treat it kindly."'

(Sharh as-Sunnah, also by Abmad. Its isnad is weak but there is a corroborating report from the hadith of Jaabir, narrated by Daarimi (1/10). So the story is true as our shaykh, Al-Albaani, said in Al-Mishkaat 3/188).

It is narrated that 'Abdullah ibn Ja`far said:

"I rode behind the Messenger of Allah :saw: one day, and he told me something which I was not to tell to anyone. The Messenger loved to hide himself behind something like a wall, a tree, a hill or a grove of palm trees. He entered a garden belonging to a man among the Ansaar. When a camel saw the Prophet :saw:, it made a sound and its eyes overflowed with tears. The Prophet :saw: came to it and patted its back between its hump and the bone behind its ears, then it calmed down.

He said,

'Who is the owner of this camel?' Who does this camel belong to?'

A young man from among the Ansaar came and said,

'It is mine, O' Messenger of Allah.'

He said,

`Do you not fear Allah with regard to this animal over whom Allah has given you power? It complained to me that you are starving it and
exhausting it.’”

(This hadith is narrated by Abu Dawood, Ahmad and Ibn `Asaakir. This
version is narrated by Ibn `Asaakir. Its isnad is saheeh according to the conditions of Muslim, who narrated it with this isnad without the story of the camel. Al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah by our shaykh, Al-Albaani, 1/28).

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
End.

As-salaamu'Alaykum,

This thread is now complete (The link above will be added when the thread from post #34 is complete). I decided to create separate thread's for the two posts above because there were kind of separate topics (and for ease) although it does link back to this thread (refer to post #3).

Insha'Allaah I hope this thread helps others as it helped me.