Silly Prayer Question

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

I have been working to learn how to pray for a little while now and things are going well but when you are supposed to sit on your left foot and have your toes on your right foot pointing forward, this is extremely painful for my right foot to have my toes bent in that way and it really distracts me from the prayer.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think I might have bunyuns (might be spelled wrong but when the bones in your foot are not joined correctly) which might be the problem, but what can I do? The best I can do is where my right heel is 90 degrees from the floor (pointing up towards the ceiling) but then I can't sit down all the way and I'm leaning forward and it is just incredibly uncomfortable and painful to my foot.

Is it really that big of a deal if I leave my right foot on the ground without pointing my toes? I've been trying to keep doing it to maybe stretch out my foot or something but I just don't think it is going to happen. I want to do the prayer right...

:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Walaykum Salaam
Jalsa (that's the name of the position) is Wajib, not Fardh (I.E. not obligatory, but sinful to omit). Allah (SWT) says that He doesn't want to make your life hard. He (SWT) also doesn't judge or blame someone for something they can't do. So I'm guessing that you shouldn't worry about it and that your salat is still valid.

proud2bemuslim

ALLAH HU AKBAR

I'm not a legal scholar or judge in this. But in my opinion if it is very painful and difficult then you dont have to. Also I think since you are new to trying this it might be painful. For example your muscles in your foot never experienced this before so it might take some time for you to get used to. Just like a person who nevers worked out in his life and then goes to gym. The next day that person would feel pain in his body.

ripefig

You can absolutely pray in a more comfortable position without compromising your Salaat. If someone is unable they can even use a chair. If someone is paralyzed they can even pray by making motions with their eyes. Allah is so merciful that he made it possible for everyone to pray according to their health etc. Even with the Zakaat some were worried that they had nothing to give, then they were informed that even a smile is Zakaat, or clearing a path is enough. Your question is in no way silly, in fact it is a good question. :wasalam:

Steve940

Asalamu alaikum,

When I first started praying about half a year ago, I had this same frustrating problem. My toes simply could not bend all the way forward, and often I let my toes point vertical or even backwards letting my foot rest upside down. However, over time your toes gradually begin to become more flexible and now I hardly have any problems with that. I talked about this with my friend who has been muslim his whole life, and he showed me his toes, which bent almost all the way back onto the top of his feet. I think it's just something that has to be done over time, almost like streching.

I hope Allah may make it easy for you, and give you the patience to learn the correct positions.

Asalamu alaikum

umm hussain

not a silly question

I have been working to learn how to pray for a little while now and things are going well but when you are supposed to sit on your left foot and have your toes on your right foot pointing forward, this is extremely painful for my right foot to have my toes bent in that way and it really distracts me from the prayer.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think I might have bunyuns (might be spelled wrong but when the bones in your foot are not joined correctly) which might be the problem, but what can I do? The best I can do is where my right heel is 90 degrees from the floor (pointing up towards the ceiling) but then I can't sit down all the way and I'm leaning forward and it is just incredibly uncomfortable and painful to my foot.

Is it really that big of a deal if I leave my right foot on the ground without pointing my toes? I've been trying to keep doing it to maybe stretch out my foot or something but I just don't think it is going to happen. I want to do the prayer right...

:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

I had, infact I still have that problem. When I learnt how to pray I did so through books and i never had a person to teach me how to do it properly and videos are not that detailed. My toes really hurt when I tried sitting in that position that I just gave up on it. Is prayer still valid if toes are not pointing to the front. I try my best to point them to the front but i use a different method i cant even explain which is more comfortable i will try ask someone to demonstrate to me how it should be done properly inshallah.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
As Salaamu Alaykum
Umm Hussain: Sisters are supposed to sit in the position which I think you're sitting in. Sisters aren't supposed to sit in Jalsa (the position you're having problems with).

From what I've read on "how to perform salat", sisters sit with (and brothers in the last rakat of Dhuhr, 'Asr, Maghrib, and 'Ishaa) their left foot comming out from under the bottom of the right shin while keeping their toes pointed towards the Qiblah (something that you're having problems with).

HOWEVER, I've read also on "how to perform salat" that sisters (ONLY sisters) sit with both their feet flat on the ground.

I think Islamic Academy (http://islamicacademy.org) makes it more clear than what I've said:

"...women suppose to be gathered in a way so that all their body parts are close together and abdomen placed over her thighs.Both feet and ankles sticking out to the right. Lower portion of back touching the ground."

"During Jalsa...women sit on floor and their both ankles and feet sticking out towards right hand side."

happy 2 b muslim

Assalam Alaykum

i understand it was hurting me like mad i felt like i was going to fall over trust me i pray now i cant feel a thing you will get use to it. O you can sit on your right then put left up dont put 2 much pressure on it .

salam