Some sayings of the Salaf

hana*

Mâlik ibn Dînâr (rahimahullâh) said,

“Whoever proposed to the world, then the world would not be satisfied until he gave up his Deen as dowry.”

Bakr ibn ‘Abdullâh al-Muzanî (rahimahullâh) said,

“If you see someone older than you then respect him saying, ‘He has beaten me to Islâm and righteous action.’ If you see someone younger than you then respect him saying to yourself, ‘I have beaten him in sins.’ If the people honour you then say, ‘That is from the grace of Allâh, but I do not deserve it.’ If they degrade you then say , ‘This happened as a consequence of a previous sin.

Sufyân ath-Thawrî (rahimahullâh) said,

“Whoever’s knowledge makes him weep, then he is a scholar (‘âlim). Allâh the Most High said, ‘Verily those who were given knowledge before it, when it is recited to them they fall down on their faces in humble prostration.’ [Sûrah Banî Isrâ’îl (17):107] He also said, ‘When the verses (âyât) of Ar-Rahmân (The Most Merciful) is recited to them they fall in prostration weeping.’ ”

Fudayl ibn ‘Iyâd (rahimahullâh) said,

“A believer plants a palm tree and fears that thorns will grow. The hypocrites plant thorns expecting ripe dates to grow!”

Once ‘Umar ibn ‘Abdul ‘Azîz (rahimahullâh) was advised,

“O ‘Umar, beware of being the ally of Allâh in open, while being His enemy in secret. If one’s nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire.”

Ahmad ibn Harb (rahimahullâh) said,

“There is nothing more beneficial to a Muslim’s heart than to mix with the righteous and to watch their actions, while nothing is more harmful to the heart than mixing with the sinners and watching their actions

Ahmad ibn Harb (rahimahullâh) would say,

“If six mannerisms are gathered in a woman, her goodness is perfected: Guarding the five prayers, yielding to her husband, pleasing her Lord, guarding her tongue from backbiting and gossip, forsaking worldly possessions, and being patient following a tragedy.”

Yahyâ ibn Mu‘âdh (rahimahullâh) said,

“Renew your hearts with the remembrance of Allâh because it rushes into forgetfulness.”

‘Abdullâh ibn Mubârak (rahimahullâh) would say,

“The world is the believer’s prison. The best action in the prison is patience and control of one’s anger. The believer has no country in the world, His land will be there tomorrow in the Afterlife.”

One of the Salaf used to say,

“If you want to be close to Allâh then put an iron wall between yourself and your desires.”

“If Iblîs conquers the son Âdam with one of the three [things] he says: I will not seek anything else from him – 1) being fond of himself, 2) deeming his deeds to be plentiful, and 3) forgetfulness of his sins.”

Al-Hasan (rahimahullâh) said,

“If shaytân saw you consistently obeying Allâh he will seek you time and time again. If he sees your consistency he grows weary of you and rejects you. If you changed, however, each and every time, then he begins to have hope in you.”

Ash-Shâfi‘î (rahimahullâh) said,

“Whoever spread gossip for you spreads gossip against you. Whoever relates tales to you will tell tales about you. Whoever when you please him says about you what is not in you, when you anger him will say about you what is not in you.”

“Whoever’s admonition is much, his friends will be few.”

“If you can be unknown, be so; it doesn’t matter if you are not known and it doesn’t matter if you are not praised. It doesn’t matter if you are blameworthy according to people if you are praiseworthy with Allah, the Mighty and Majestic.”

Al Fudayl ibn Ayyadh, Al Bayhaqi, Al Zuhd Al Kabir p100.

Source: Siyar ‘Alam al Nubala’ of Imaam ad-Dhahabee

__._,_.___

Ibn Uthaymin

Bakr ibn ‘Abdullâh al-Muzanî (rahimahullâh) said,

“If you see someone older than you then respect him saying, ‘He has beaten me to Islâm and righteous action.’ If you see someone younger than you then respect him saying to yourself, ‘I have beaten him in sins.’ If the people honour you then say, ‘That is from the grace of Allâh, but I do not deserve it.’ If they degrade you then say , ‘This happened as a consequence of a previous sin.

Once ‘Umar ibn ‘Abdul ‘Azîz (rahimahullâh) was advised,

“O ‘Umar, beware of being the ally of Allâh in open, while being His enemy in secret. If one’s nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire.”

__._,_.___

Subhanallah!

shichemlydia

salam alikoum sister
jazaki allah for sharing these beautiful sayings, it was really beneficial.
thanks again
salam alikoum