Speak proper english!

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Who said it made them a bad Muslim? I think you are projecting your own judgements onto our posts. And it is very clear when a person is a nonNative English speaker and when they are some kid trying to come across "cool."

Non-native speakers misspell and use incorrect tense. I haven't seen anyone try to correct a non-Native speaker. What we are talking about is purposeful use of "slang." ...."I b gud so I can b lyk de prophet. Dis be the way b4 and afta dey write in dis mess." As soon as they are gently reminded about adaab they can write in perfectly understandable writing.

I am from the South and my English is spoken with a very distinctive, southern accent. That doesn't mean I have to write in this manner, "I ain't arguing wid you, a'ight?" The non-native speakers have mentioned it is harder to comprehend the sentences when slang is used.

So seriously, what's the big deal about requesting that people refrain from writing in slang? We aren't being harsh and the Prophet told us to correct our brothers and sisters quietly when they are doing something foolish or wrong. You say this is a waste of time yet you've jumped into the fray, so you must have some emotional investment in this thread. Personally I think this should be made a sticky.

Wasalaam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

I think that we should welcome everyone, as long as they are sincere and want to do good.. why should we complain?

If they write in silly txt speech/slang, then we just need to tell them nicely not to do that. That is all.

assalamu alaykum

BrotherZak

Wa'alaikum asalaam,

What I meant by that was - how do you know these people can write correctly, they maybe great speakers, but just can't spell?
This has gone way toooooo far lol and this was the original point I made about this thread and now I'm involved in it :$
I still stand by the fact that its not a major issue, at least we all communicate on here alhamdulillah. People can write how they want it doesn't make them a bad Muslim or anything, they could be the best Muslims on here subhanAllah!

May Allah protect the Ummah from these diversions.

Salam

Salam

Its not diversions at all but something that should be addressed. Of course we are only referring to people who know the English language at an appropriate level but chose to use slang. We understand that these brother and sisters have good intentions and want to spread Dawah but we kindly advice them to take an additional few moments to use the grammar and spellng check. That is all....i find it highly inappropriate when people say Gud and propht Mohammed or Islam teachez dat *..and so on, the message of Islam to the non-muslim seekers becomes lost under all the slang....

ummu thany

sister in islam
Assalamu Alaikkum wr.wb.
First of all I want to tell I am not good at writing English. Many time I though not to visit this site. Because after I read all the posts and threads I want to put my opinion, suggestion or some thing I know about the subject. lack of my writing in English (grammatically) I couldn't. That's making me so worried. If some one answer properly Alhamdulillah than I'm satisfied. I can't leave this forum because this is very good site I found first. We can't find any unwanted things or add here. every one caring and loving each other only for sake of Allah (SWT).Alhamdulillah. Most brothers and sisters here are well educated. Most of them students. Masha Allah. If they wish they can change their writing habit Insha Allah. This one help to every one.
If I say some thing wrong please forgive me.Wassalam.

yasmin7791

brother even though i ge twhere your coming from personally im to lazy to type in prpoer english i have enough of writing standard english at school and writing hundredds of essays but onlint shouldnt it be much more informal....
oooo i think just the odd random text lang. is okaay right? just not all the time coz thats just plain silly ;D