Staying with a Very Practicing Christian Family for Several Weeks.

UmmAhmadJ

Salam alaikum my brothers and sisters.

I am planning a visit with my family for about 3 weeks with my 9 month old son. I am unable to stay with my grandparents or mother due to living conditions (they have dogs in the house and I do not want my baby crawling on the floor where dogs have been).

My father lives very simple, i.e. no bathroom, 6 people in a 1 bedroom, 1 living room, and 1 kitchen house, therefore if I stayed with my father we would both be burdened with the living circumstances. So instead I am staying with some good friends of mine, they are an older Mennonite couple who all their children have been married off. They are very welcoming of company and have many spare rooms (4 to be a exact).

I suppose I am just worried with what to do when they pray before they eat, should I too bow my head with them out of respect or should I just wait until they are finished and eat when they do? Should I also sit with them while they study and read the bible in the morning or just play with my baby in our room until they are finished? (When I was Christian I lived with these people and worked on their farm for 6 months, it is custom for every Mennonite family to wake up in the morning and study the bible, sing songs from their hymn book, etc. When they have company, the guests also are included). Any advice will be welcomed. :)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Wa`alaykum us-salaam,

Interesting scenario. I'd be careful in indulging in their practices and it's probably best to a) not be involved with them and b) not cause any offence in the process. Let them say their prayers over their food for example and wait as you suggested. When they study, you could again occupy yourself with something else, if they insist and the setting isn't harmful - perhaps you could even make mention of a thing or two from Islam as a means of calling them to Allaah?