Step by Step .. Learn how to pray ..

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

Introduction

Salah is the second pillar of Islam. It refers to the compulsory daily prayers. Salah is offered five times a day individually or in congregation.

We offer Salah to remember Allah and bring us closer to Him. Allah says in the Noble Qur'an, what can be translated as, “Establish Salah to remember Me (Allah).” (Qur'an, 20:14)

{وأقم الصلاة لذ كري }

Salah is proof of our faith in Allah and Islam. It has been made compulsory at certain times of the day. Allah says in the Noble Qur'an, what can be translated as, “Salah at fixed times has been enjoined on the believers.” (Qur'an, 4:103)

{إن الصلاة كانت على المؤمنين كتابا مو قوتا }

The five daily prayers are: Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib and Isha'.

Preparation to Perform Salah
To perform your Salah you must be clean and pure. Allah says in the Noble Qur'an, what can be translated as, “Surely Allah loves those who turn to Him and those who care for cleanliness.” (2:222)

{إن الله يحب التوابين ويحب المتطهرين }

Cleanliness of the body, clothing, and the places where the prayer is performed is called Taharah (purification).

How to Purify Things
In general, water can purify anything that is impure.

One must remove all impurities from his/her private parts by using any pure matter (i.e. toilet tissue) three times, or by using water, or both.

1. Purifying the body and clothing:

This is performed by washing them with water until they are cleansed of impurities. This is especially important in the case where the impurity is visible, such as menstrual blood. If there are some difficult stains that remain after washing, they can be overlooked. If the impurity is not visible, such as urine, it is sufficient to wash it once, but preferable to wash it three times.

2. Purifying clothing from a male infant’s urine:

This is performed by sprinkling water on the stained clothing. If it is stained by the urine of a female infant, then it must be washed.

3. Purifying the bottom of shoes:

This is performed by rubbing them against the ground until the remains of Najassah (impurity) are removed.

4. Purifying the ground:

(a) Pour water over the impurity on the ground (soil or sand).

(b) Allowing the ground (soil or sand) to dry from the impurity (such as urine) will make the area pure, only if there are no visible traces of the impurity left.

5. Purifying utensils if they were touched by dog saliva:

This is performed by washing the utensil seven times with water. The first cleansing should be mixed with soil. However, if the saliva has touched the body or clothing, then only one cleansing is needed.

The body must also be free of Hadath (ritual impurities).

Minor Hadath and Major Hadath

1. Minor Hadath:

This requires Wudu (ablution). It happens after one or more of the following occurs: natural discharges like urine, excrement, passing gas, falling asleep, or unconsciousness of any kind.

2. Major Hadath:

This requires washing the whole body. It could be caused by unconscious ejaculation (e.g. in one's sleep), intercourse, menstruation or post-childbirth bleeding. This type of washing requires bathing the whole body, including, the head with pure water.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Wudu (Ablution)

Before we perform Salah we must first prepare ourselves. This preparation includes making sure that we are clean from any physical impurities and performing Wudu.

Wudu (ablution) is required for performing Salah. We cannot offer our Salah without first making Wudu. Here are the steps to take:
1. First, make the Niyyah (intention) in your heart that this act of Wudu is for the purpose of preparing for Salah, and say: "Bismillah" (in the name of Allah).

2. Wash both hands up to the wrists (starting with the right hand) three times, making sure that water has reached between the fingers.
3. Take water with your right hand, put it into your mouth and rinse thoroughly three times.
4. Take water with your right hand, splash it into your nose and blow it out three times. (Use the left hand if necessary to help blow it out).
5. Wash your whole face three times repeatedly. (The whole face includes: the right ear to the left ear, and the forehead to the bottom of the chin).
6. Wash the right arm thoroughly from wrist to elbow three times, and make sure that no part of the arm has been left unwashed. Repeat with the left arm.
7. Move the palms of the wet hands lightly over the head, starting from the top of the forehead to the back of the head, and passing both hands over the back of the head to the neck, and then bringing them back to the forehead.
8. With the same water, rub the grooves and holes of both ears with the wet index fingers, while also passing the wet thumbs behind the ears from the bottom upward.
9. Finally, wash both feet to the ankles three times, starting with the right foot. Make sure that water has reached between the toes and covered the rest of the foot.
At the end of the above steps recite: "Ashhadu alla ilaha illallahu, wa ash-hadu anna muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluhu.”

"أشهد أن لا إ له إلا الله وحده لا شريك له،

و أشهد أن محمدا عبده و رسوله"

This means:

“I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah alone, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His messenger.”

What Nullifies Wudu
1. Natural discharges: urine, stool, gas, etc.

2. Falling asleep.

3. Unconsciousness of any kind.
Note: If you put on your socks, shoes, or sandals (only those that cover most of the foot) while you have a valid Wudu, it is not necessary to take them off every time you need to renew your Wudu. You can leave them on and wipe the top of each covered foot once with wet hands in place of washing the entire foot. You may do this up to twenty-four hours, or for three days if you are on travel.​

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Ghusl (Bathing)
Ghusl is bathing the whole body with water. You must clean your body from any impurities, if any. Make the Niyyah (intention) in your heart that this act of Ghusl is for the purpose of preparing for Salah. It is recommended to make Ghusl in the following order: make Wudu, wash the head including the hair, wash the right side of your body from the shoulder to the foot three times, and finally wash the left side of the body. Ghusl is required for performing Salah in the following cases:

1. Janabah (major ritual impurities): The discharge of seminal secretions or sexual intercourse.

2. At the end of a menstrual period.

3. At the end of postpartum bleeding.

Tayammum (Dry Ablution)
You may perform your Salah by preceding it with Tayammum as a substitute for Wudu or Ghusl when:

1. A person cannot find water, or the amount available is insufficient.

2. A person has no access to water.

3. A person is saving the water for later use.

4. A person is sick and cannot use water.

5. The use of water is likely to do harm, cause or worsen an illness, or delay the cure.

6. The performance of Wudu will cause the person to miss a funeral or Eid prayer that cannot be made up.
In any of these instances it is permissible to make Tayammum, which is performed as follows:

1. First, make Niyyah (intention) in your heart that this act of Tayammum is for the purpose of preparing for Salah, and say: "Bismillah.”

2. Strike both hands slightly on pure earth, sand, stone, or concrete.
3. Shake off hands to remove debris and wipe the whole face.
4. Repeat step #2 and wipe the right arm down to the elbow (or only to the wrist) with the left hand and the left arm down to the elbow (or only to the wrist) with the right hand.​

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear sister! Being a revert threads like these are so beneficial for me. I know the fard but not so much the sunnah. Its so nice of you to post this! May Allah reward you good for your kindness in helping your revert brothers and sisters. Ameen!

:tti_sister:

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear sister! Being a revert threads like these are so beneficial for me. I know the fard but not so much the sunnah. Its so nice of you to post this! May Allah reward you good for your kindness in helping your revert brothers and sisters. Ameen!

:tti_sister:
و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
I'm sooo happy that what I posted is useful for you ..
First you have to learn al fard , sunnah is optional
Allah will reward u if u do the sunnah , and if u dont do it , it will not considered as sin ..

I'm here for all of you
Thanks for passing my sweetie ..

Abdul Mu'miin

Alhamdulillaahilladzii bi ni'matihi 'alaa tatimmush shaalihaat.

Allaahumma shallii wa baarik 'alaa Muhammad wa 'alaa aali muhammad, kamaa shallaaita wa baraktaa 'alaa aali Ibraahim.

Assalaamu 'alan nabiyyi wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

Isra

aka Tree2008
I'm sooo happy that what I posted is useful for you ..
First you have to learn al fard , sunnah is optional
Allah will reward u if u do the sunnah , and if u dont do it , it will not considered as sin ..

I'm here for all of you
Thanks for passing my sweetie ..

As salamo alaikome sister.....yes I know the Fard already and thats what I am praying now. The Sunnah I dont know and I have not been praying the Sunnah prayers yet because I want to take my time and do everything right. I know my arabic is not very good but I am learning little by little. So Jazakallah khairan for posting this sister and for making me feel like I am right to take my time and learn everything the right way.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
As salamo alaikome sister.....yes I know the Fard already and thats what I am praying now. The Sunnah I dont know and I have not been praying the Sunnah prayers yet because I want to take my time and do everything right. I know my arabic is not very good but I am learning little by little. So Jazakallah khairan for posting this sister and for making me feel like I am right to take my time and learn everything the right way.

I'll tell u my experience , I was only doing Fard , when I started to perform Sunnah , I started with Fajr Prayer Sunnah , two Ra'kat before Fajr Prayer ..
I stay weeks on this situation , then I started gradually Duher Sunnah ( 2 rakat before Duhr prayer and 2 after ) Magrib prayer sunnah is ( 2 ra'kat after the prayer ) and Esha prayer sunnah is ( 2 rak'at after Esha prayer )

I told u before : NEVER feel afraid of doing things wrong , Allah is the most merciful , do what u can do , as much as ur ability can :)

I can help u in Arabic , it's my mother tongue
سأبذل ما بوسعي لأساعدك ..فاطلبي ما تريدين :)

Ok , honeyy ? :)

Isra

aka Tree2008

I'll tell u my experience , I was only doing Fard , when I started to perform Sunnah , I started with Fajr Prayer Sunnah , two Ra'kat before Fajr Prayer ..
I stay weeks on this situation , then I started gradually Duher Sunnah ( 2 rakat before Duhr prayer and 2 after ) Magrib prayer sunnah is ( 2 ra'kat after the prayer ) and Esha prayer sunnah is ( 2 rak'at after Esha prayer )

I told u before : NEVER feel afraid of doing things wrong , Allah is the most merciful , do what u can do , as much as ur ability can :)

I can help u in Arabic , it's my mother tongue
سأبذل ما بوسعي لأساعدك ..فاطلبي ما تريدين :)

Ok , honeyy ? :)

As salamo alaikome....

I copied the Sunnah prayers you listed and sent them to myself in email for when Im ready to start. I will take your advice and start with adding Sunnah prayer to just one of the 5 prayers.

Let me ask you though sister.......is the prayer the same as in the Fard??? What I mean is we say the same words for the Sunnah and the Fard prayers or different words???? The Fatihah is in the beginning of ALL prayers isnt that right?

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
As salamo alaikome....

I copied the Sunnah prayers you listed and sent them to myself in email for when Im ready to start. I will take your advice and start with adding Sunnah prayer to just one of the 5 prayers.

Let me ask you though sister.......is the prayer the same as in the Fard??? What I mean is we say the same words for the Sunnah and the Fard prayers or different words???? The Fatihah is in the beginning of ALL prayers isnt that right?

ok good work , I'm happy to hear that :)
yes , the prayer is the same , the Fatehah is must be in beginings in alll the prayers , after it u can read whatever of Qu'ran but is not compulsary .

this is translation of surat al fatehah :
English
In The Name Of Allah , The Beneficent , The Merciful
بــــــــسم الله الرحمـــــن ألرحيــــــــــــم

Praise Be To Allah , The Lord Of The Worlds
الحمـــــد لله رب العالميـــــــن

The Beneficent , The Merciful
الرحمـــــن ألرحيـــــم

Owner Of The Day Of Judgment ,
مالك يــــوم ألديـــــن

Thee (Alone ) We Worship , Thee Alone We Ask For Help
اياك نعبد و ايالك نستعيـــن

Show Us The Straight Path ,
اهــــدنا الصـــراط المستقيم

The Path Of Those Whom Thou Hast Favored ; Not ( The Path ) Of Those Who Earn Thine Anger Nor Of Those Who Astray
صـــراط الذيــــن أنعمت عليهم غير المغضوب عليهم ولا الضالين

French

1] Au nom d'Allah, le Tout Miséricordieux, le Très Miséricordieux.

[2] Louange à Allah, Seigneur de l'univers.

[3] Le Tout Miséricordieux, le Très Miséricordieux,

[4] Maître du Jour de la rétribution.

[5] C'est Toi (Seul) que nous adorons, et c'est Toi (Seul) dont nous implorons secours.

[6] Guide-nous dans le droit chemin,

[7] le chemin de ceux que Tu as comblés de faveurs, non pas de ceux qui ont encouru Ta colère, ni des égarés

but certainly u must read it in Arabic ..

I hope what I said is clear for you :)

Isra

aka Tree2008
ok good work , I'm happy to hear that :)
yes , the prayer is the same , the Fatehah is must be in beginings in alll the prayers , after it u can read whatever of Qu'ran but is not compulsary .

this is translation of surat al fatehah :
English
In The Name Of Allah , The Beneficent , The Merciful
بــــــــسم الله الرحمـــــن ألرحيــــــــــــم

Praise Be To Allah , The Lord Of The Worlds
الحمـــــد لله رب العالميـــــــن

The Beneficent , The Merciful
الرحمـــــن ألرحيـــــم

Owner Of The Day Of Judgment ,
مالك يــــوم ألديـــــن

Thee (Alone ) We Worship , Thee Alone We Ask For Help
اياك نعبد و ايالك نستعيـــن

Show Us The Straight Path ,
اهــــدنا الصـــراط المستقيم

The Path Of Those Whom Thou Hast Favored ; Not ( The Path ) Of Those Who Earn Thine Anger Nor Of Those Who Astray
صـــراط الذيــــن أنعمت عليهم غير المغضوب عليهم ولا الضالين

French

1] Au nom d'Allah, le Tout Miséricordieux, le Très Miséricordieux.

[2] Louange à Allah, Seigneur de l'univers.

[3] Le Tout Miséricordieux, le Très Miséricordieux,

[4] Maître du Jour de la rétribution.

[5] C'est Toi (Seul) que nous adorons, et c'est Toi (Seul) dont nous implorons secours.

[6] Guide-nous dans le droit chemin,

[7] le chemin de ceux que Tu as comblés de faveurs, non pas de ceux qui ont encouru Ta colère, ni des égarés

but certainly u must read it in Arabic ..

I hope what I said is clear for you :)

As salamo alaikome dear sister....

Everything you tell me so far has been perfectly clear and Jazakallah khairan for using your precious time and good heart to help me. I will always remember and appreciate you for this. Inshallah one day when I know what I need to know to be a good Muslimah I can help another person the way you have helped me. This will be your doing because you were there for me.

I do know Al Fatihah in Arabic and even if my pronunciation isnt perfect I believe Allah understands me. I also know how to say An Nasr, An Nas, Al Falaq, Al Ikhlas, Al Kawthar and Al Kafirun by memory (with my bad Arabic pronunciation) which I use as the second Surah quote in my prayer after Al Fatihah. I want to learn more from Quran so I can use them in my prayer but I am trying to practice these ones I know from memory for now so I might learn the correct pronunciation.

The hardest for me to learn and memorize was At-Tashahhud and Im not sure exactly why it was so difficult to remember because now I know it very well but of course I have been saying it 5 times a day since March so yes I should know it by now. I think little by little I will get better with my prayers. Right now I probably sound like a 5 year old just starting to perform the prayers to Allah's ears but I can feel that he hears me. Im sure about it.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
As salamo alaikome dear sister....

Everything you tell me so far has been perfectly clear and Jazakallah khairan for using your precious time and good heart to help me. I will always remember and appreciate you for this. Inshallah one day when I know what I need to know to be a good Muslimah I can help another person the way you have helped me. This will be your doing because you were there for me.

I do know Al Fatihah in Arabic and even if my pronunciation isnt perfect I believe Allah understands me. I also know how to say An Nasr, An Nas, Al Falaq, Al Ikhlas, Al Kawthar and Al Kafirun by memory (with my bad Arabic pronunciation) which I use as the second Surah quote in my prayer after Al Fatihah. I want to learn more from Quran so I can use them in my prayer but I am trying to practice these ones I know from memory for now so I might learn the correct pronunciation.

The hardest for me to learn and memorize was At-Tashahhud and Im not sure exactly why it was so difficult to remember because now I know it very well but of course I have been saying it 5 times a day since March so yes I should know it by now. I think little by little I will get better with my prayers. Right now I probably sound like a 5 year old just starting to perform the prayers to Allah's ears but I can feel that he hears me. Im sure about it.

certainly , Allah is near to us , hear us , and forgive us :)

about attashahud , it's easy if u know its translation and then save the Arabic pronouciation .. may be it's diffecult for non Arabic speaker , but I'm sure you can do it :)

stick to the sowar ( plural of surah ) which u memorize it well .. keep saying it for a month and then learn a new one , say it all the day ( 5 times ) if u memorize it well , then complete with new surah for the next day , if u dont memorize it well , keep saying it in prayers untill you can memorize it very well ..

just a suggestion , try it and I'll pray for you to be a good muslim girl ..
I tried to find a translation for attashahhud in English but I did not find any thing :( I hope u know its meaning ..

May Allah bless you honey :)

Isra

aka Tree2008
certainly , Allah is near to us , hear us , and forgive us :)

about attashahud , it's easy if u know its translation and then save the Arabic pronouciation .. may be it's diffecult for non Arabic speaker , but I'm sure you can do it :)

stick to the sowar ( plural of surah ) which u memorize it well .. keep saying it for a month and then learn a new one , say it all the day ( 5 times ) if u memorize it well , then complete with new surah for the next day , if u dont memorize it well , keep saying it in prayers untill you can memorize it very well ..

just a suggestion , try it and I'll pray for you to be a good muslim girl ..
I tried to find a translation for attashahhud in English but I did not find any thing :( I hope u know its meaning ..

May Allah bless you honey :)

Salam.....

Yes I understand what it means. I have a book that has some of the surahs written in Arabic then the transliteration (Arabic only using letters of the English alphabet) and then the translation into English. So all of the surahs that I have memorized I know the meaning of in English too and I am able to say them in Arabic from memory. I am lucky actually because long before I took my shahada I was practicing the surahs in Arabic using a computer program where an actual voice in MP3 format was speaking the surah in Arabic while I could follow along with my book that I mentioned above. So I already knew the 6 surahs before I ever went to Morocco and took my shahada. The only thing I needed was someone to show me HOW to pray and the woman I stayed with in Morocco prayed beside me and I learned from her. Also I was able to pray in Masjid a few times while in Morocco but I never did it here in this country yet. Im hoping that during Ramadan I will be able to attend Masjid at least a few times and especially at EID.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Salam.....

Yes I understand what it means. I have a book that has some of the surahs written in Arabic then the transliteration (Arabic only using letters of the English alphabet) and then the translation into English. So all of the surahs that I have memorized I know the meaning of in English too and I am able to say them in Arabic from memory. I am lucky actually because long before I took my shahada I was practicing the surahs in Arabic using a computer program where an actual voice in MP3 format was speaking the surah in Arabic while I could follow along with my book that I mentioned above. So I already knew the 6 surahs before I ever went to Morocco and took my shahada. The only thing I needed was someone to show me HOW to pray and the woman I stayed with in Morocco prayed beside me and I learned from her. Also I was able to pray in Masjid a few times while in Morocco but I never did it here in this country yet. Im hoping that during Ramadan I will be able to attend Masjid at least a few times and especially at EID.

Going to masjid is optional for us as women , if we want we go if we dont want we dont go ..

and ma sha'a Allah , u have done a great work ! May Allah bless you
I'm happy for you honey
in sha'a Allah u can memorize more & more

Take Care :)