• 91.7% of them heard shelling by artillery

• 92% saw mutilated bodies on TV

• 80% were deprived of water or electricity

• 50.7% left home for a safer place

• 25.9% report one symptom of PTSD

• 39.3% report more than one symptom

• 9.8% report full criteria of PTSD

Statistics from the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights

• 1,414 Palestinians killed during the conflict, including 313 children, of which: – 31% girls, 69% boys

– 15% under 5; 23.3% 5-10; 62% 11-17

– 73% died from bombs; 19.8% from artillery shells; 5.4% shot; 1.5% from white phosphorous

• 5,300 Palestinians injured, including 1,606 children

• 36 UN schools damaged

• Approximately 20,000 homes completely or partially destroyed

And next they stories what news didn´t tell...

------
This is from sister from Gaza from hers feeling of last war in Gaza:

"Nothing scared me in that ugly war more than imagining myself between phosphorus bombs

they caused me nightmares

In the first day we were at the last romanticism class where more than 50 girls were about to do their presentations, I hated romanticism since then

the ugliest moment was when we got crowded crying like little kids at the eastern gate of the university blocked by the terrible view of smoke from the four sides , Arafat city , Tal- elhawa and El-Saraya .... we where like "أين المفر" ...

I was there with Nour who was the strongest of us as i remember, she tried to calm the girls down ... I was shouting then "beddddeeeesh amoooot beddeesh amoot " ... I was realy afraid of death since i am not that pious to meet God ... May Allah lead us all "

-------

From brother from Gaza:
"To me, the 23 days of the was were full of fear: I could not eat, I could not sleep, I could not do anything.

The hardest moment was when the military plans bombarded Shikh Nezar Rayyan's home. My home somehow is near to his.

The Israeli plans waged some warnings to him to get out of the home, but he refused and insisted to stay at his home as a sign of resistance and steadfasting. At that moment, we, my family, as the whole neighbors, got afraid of the terrifyingly frightening atmosphere- Two one-ton bombs fall down to wreak havoc on his home and other near homes to be completely destroyed.

My mum started to get scared till she lost her conscious: As the missiles hit his home, my mum was out of order. Before loosing her conscious, there was a curtain on the window of the room that we, my family, took as a refuge all over the 23 days of the war. As the missiles hit his home, the curtain was put off as a result of the ghastly dreadful sound of the strike. So, my mum said the curtain were taken off, so that our home fall down, then she lost her conscious.

To me, and at that moment, I have been totally confused: How to behave? What to do?- I got completely deranged as I am the older one among my brothers and sisters there.

Consequently, I brought a bottle of water that was next to me, and sprayed some on her face till she got awaken- I thanked God.

Afterward, I got downstairs as the first time for me to get out of my home during the war in order to check out what happened to the people and so on- I even got out hesitantly to be my last time of getting out during the war!

Anyhow, I do not know what to say- May Allah protect us and no other wars.
Wish the best for you all. "
Sister from Gaza:

"the hardest time of mine during the war that i with my family had to spent 10 hours in the bath room, since it was the savest place in our home , laying in avery cold floor listening to the bombs fallen around us

we didnt know that oue home,my ancle home , our neigbours home was the target , so we thought that our neigbour's home who belong to hamas was the target . my mum said * god bless thim , god bless them ,and stated to cry saying * دارهم راحت ,دارهم راحت * she didnt know that am sami was praying for us
the most dangerous moment , that my unche's family went out their home during the strikes . my uncle 's son was shouted * uncle open the door , open the door * so my elde brother wanted to go outside to open the gurden' door inorder see wats happen . my father didnt allow him to do that , he sent my little sister to open the door saying *انا مايس عليها , يعنى ممكن تموت*
so she open the door ,and didnt see any one . she ran back andenterd he home then , suddly another bomb fallen in the same place where she stand

after 10 hours in the bathroom , we realize that there was some resistors were moving around us during the night and that's way the jews strikes us , then we moved to our grand father house "

As saving they privacy I don´t write names of these sisters and brothers behind these stories.
Sister from Gaza:

"I had a practical physics (lab) exam that day (it was the first day of exams).. I had just arrived and met my friend to revise a bit before the exam.. Right when I reached into my purse to get out my notebook, there was the first explosion... Felt like it was inside the uni..! I screamed, cried, and completely froze... My friend literally dragged me out, and we kept running til we reached Al-Aqsa university.. We got in and sat there trying to get a signal to call anyone and see what's going on, then a couple of men came and made everyone leave the uni... The street was so crowded, everyone was running and crying, and no signal... Explosions, balck smoke in every direction... Felt like a nightmare... We got into an Internet Cafe to wait there... Still, no signal.... The guy managed to find out what was going on... Found the photos of all the policemen that were murdered... I didn't know what to do but cry and cry and cry... My friend managed to take me to a friend's house in burj Al-7elo... I stayed there for a while, called my dad and told him I'll go stay at my gramma's near Al-shefa hospital... He told me not to, and told me to go stay at my best friend's house
(Hala)... I called Lebanon taxis to come pick me up and take me to their house in Tal El-Hawa... It took them sometime, but the taxi came and I left... We passed by Burj Al-Asra which was entirely gone; it was just stones, and dust filling the space...
I was going to spend the night at her house, but thank God I didn't... We all thought it was just random bombing, and didn't expect a "war"!
So, around 3 pm, it got quiet, and her dad managed to take me to the car stop and get me in a car heading to Khanyounis... On the way, I could see all the destroyed police stations etc (Salah el deen road), it was an ugly sight...
It was all like a nightmare, but it was nothing compared to the endless nights during the war, where we all had to go downstairs as soon as it got dark... Living near the sea, and on a main road linking the south and the north was not an awesome thing... A factory right infront of my house was hit, our house was shaking and all the windows got broken, everything in my room fell on the floor... Difficult days...
Perhaps the hardest moments for me were:
1-where when I thought my best friend died as I couldn't get to her or any of her family members when Israeli tr got into Tal el Hawa... But thank God, they were all fine... I did really think she died... I was trying to get a hold of her for exactly 11 hours... I went hysterical, cried my head off, broke glass... It was bad... We found out later, that our appartment in Tal el Hawa was thoroughly shelled...
2- Jan,5 (my parents' anniversary)... The tr were really close.. We could hear clashes between them and the resistance... It was the longest and most terrifying night of my life..."
Sister from Gaza:

"the 1st, 3rd and the 10th were the hardest

the first: i knew what death is,, and that moment b4 u die " i did try it "

the third: this time, socks saved my life i was on my bed but i went to wear socks , then they shelled the area where is behind us ,, the window all moved towards me , and luckily, i wasn't on my bed which was all covered with glass and some metal things

the 10th, zionist shelled our nieghbour's house ,,,
i stayed shaking for 15 mins ,,

all of that need explanation, but i can't write more "
Sister from Gaza:

"although we had the hardest moments ever , but we have nice moments too !

we used to see how we were as a one buddy in that war ! i can't forget that families we don't know which came to our house

nice memories with them and their noughty childrens
we used to keep taaaaalking and hearing stories to forget what was happening out side especially when the power was cut"
Am I Ever To Get out ?

Here I'm, stuck.
My cellphone is about to go dead, and thanks to the crappy service, there is no hope for my calls to get picked . See, this cellphone was my father's gift, as i passed the general secondary with a boastful GPA. I guess it was my father's way to express his prevailing joy. I still remember his proud tone: "Finally, you are going to achieve a dream you have long pledged for,and we are soon to call you Dr. Said ".

At that time, I was supposed to to achieve this dream of mine abroad;maybe Canada, the Uk , the US. What mattered was that it would be as far from here as it could be ! Obviously , for my parents,the idea itself was out of question . Thus, my only way out was a local university , and surprisingly it was not as bad i'd pictured it to be .After all i had other things to keep me preoccupied; the continuous shortage of electricity, the intolerable increase of prices,my uncle being not allowed to leave for medical treatment and lastly the transportation drama !

...Oh my lord, how pleasing days they were compared to now... I just need to hang on there .. I'm sure it won't take any longer than an hour ..

It had been a year since my house was shelled. Only one room was greatly damaged, and it happened to be the one which my father was in .
A year had passed and i still avoid getting near that room,for i can still sense the presence of that smell. Even here, in this tiny -tight room of mine, i can still smell the burning flesh !My pain was too much to take in that it couldn't be expressed with tears;I did not weep my father's loss.

All of the sudden, I became my family's only provider; with a long ,bitter endeavors , moving heaven and earth to get a job .Until finally, someone talked me in working in the smuggling tunnels. A voice whispered in my ear :" You have no other choice man, it's a dead end, tunnels or no job " !

My cellphone is definitely going dead..

I left my mom with the normal goodbye, not knowing about my tunnel job .I guess she did not bear to ask , as well as she did not bear for my siblings to sleep starving for another night .

So , we started digging ,and the sand began falling over us from the tunnel's pitch- dark ceiling. Though i was covering my mouth, the sand found its way through it ; only drinking water made it worse . My digging-mates who were not covering their mouths were sarcastically laughing and assuring me that I'll get used to it ! See, i shifted with my vision somewhere else . The scene of the dark -blue sea, where i used to spend most of my time diving. My favorite sport .

.....Then by a drop of sweat mixed with sand,I'm shacked back to reality ... Now , my cellphone is dead ....

See , how much time passed with me stuck in the middle of this tunnel ? My mates already left,and my mother's prayers do not seem to be paying off ! The tunnel's exist collapsed before i had the chance to get out . They will surely come to get me now .

Oh, I feel the sharp -cold getting in my bones , still I'm feeling the warm ground ,as if it's swinging me to sleep ! Up the far horizon , i see a light shining through ;i can almost touch it ...A requiem i can almost hear now.. My mother's prayers, My sibling's hunger ,the smell of a burning flesh and the taste of the salty dark-blue sea !

from sister from Gaza
It is Only Palestine

http://msuliman.wordpress.com/

8000 rockets are no excuse
Suicide bombers, it’s all just a ruse
Unless you’re Israel, self-defense is right
A Jewish army response is disproportionate might
The activists sailed to deliver their aid
Jihad cash is what they were paid
Turkish delight in the media’s glare
Slashing knives don’t seems fair

And the song goes on…

This is how I sat listening to the precariously uncontrollable charming power of music: A strikingly amazing Israeli piece which made me on the verge of crying sympathizing with the poor defenseless Israelis against the terrifically heavy-armed and fanatic Palestinians.

However, while I sat all ears staring at the young lady as she gently played the piano with her slight fingers, a sudden immense repertory of images kept turning up in my mind: Images of bloody corpses lying lifelessly on the ground amidst the rubble, a huge devastated area covered with an enormous, rising, thick, black smoke: the area has just been bombarded with a 1000-pound bombshell that was dropped by a first-time flying US-made gigantic F16; images of phosphorus bomb as if it were the hair of a bogey: thousands of white braids of serpentine descending like white lines of smoke creeping towards the earth: to burn; Images of a mother tearing her hair, whining over the death of her eldest son who hasn’t been married for more than a month: the agonizing wails of the mother are drastically intensified by the dumb silence of the wife who retreated to a corner of her crammed room, covered in black, and staring at the crying women about; images of women and children endlessly queuing up in the early morning in front of a bakery waiting for their lot of bread; images of a firefighter standing before a huge burning fire which lighted the dead night holding on to the water hose while helicopters hovering above in the sky in the aftermath of shelling a mosque; images of trickling blood, trickling tears, corpses, destruction and debris; sounds of wails, cries, whines, snivels, bombs, overhead drones, and prayer calls. All these images and others far more disconcerting persisted in showing up and never stopped as long as the song went on.

The Jewish girl poured its magical voice out while this repertory kept turning up in my mind. The girl apparently took it into her head that she is oppressed, for she was singing with all her heart putting on her face all sorts of sad and melancholic expressions which as far as I believe would make sense way better on those against whom she sang. At any rate, I would have no problem to believe she is oppressed indeed, but I could never tell who is oppressing who?

I would have been the first to side with the girl had she chosen to be another one’s enemy (perhaps ‘enemy’ here is unpleasant to describe such a sensitive delicate girl, but this is the actual fact) for I know it for sure and it might be the only thing I am sure of in this arena that the Palestinians, not to say they are being daily subjected to a systematic oppression inflicted upon them by the Israelis, the Palestinians are not oppressing the Israelis! —are they?

Let’s keep ourselves away from illusive political talks and unceasing historical arguments and pose the ultimate question: who is in power? Who is murdering the other? Who is besieging the other? Who is occupying the other? Who is waiting at checkpoints for long hours in mid-day under the burning sun of September? Who has lost 1500 in less 22 days? Who is spending the nights in the dark? And an unending series of ‘who is’?

‘Only Israel’ was the name of the song. Only Israel doesn’t have the right to self-defense. Only Israel doesn’t have the right to respond. Only Israelis are not cared for. Only Israel is discriminated against while the Palestinians, who are never mentioned in the song, are surrounded by cousins flowing with oil demanding the Israelis to give up their land! It would have made a stoic smile to have seen me listen to these words. Can’t she take herself as far back as to 1948? Who has taken the other’s land? Can’t she open up her eyes and see things better than that? how far real it would have been had Israel been replaced with Palestine; How far true it would have been! It is only Israel, young lady, who has the right to talk, attack, kill, bomb, besiege others, seize their land, expel them, build settlements, own weapons and the list continues.

It is only Israel.

The music was no longer charming, and the words were far a ruse than the ‘suicide bombers’ she spoke of, for we both have never heard of a suicide bomber in the region for long. (perhaps the disproportionate might has helped wipe them out.) The words were a ruse, for 8000 rockets are indeed a ruse in considering how many Israelis were killed or even hurt by these rockets. It might amuse the young lady to know that these 8000 rockets put up together will almost certainly weigh less than 8 bombs of several hundreds dropped on only one local area in the last war. It is a ruse.

I am not to refute the words of the song one by one, nor am I to defend myself against the song. I am only to backtrack on the one moment I felt myself going on with the rhythm abandoning my people’s misery in the blink of an eye.

I twitched. I felt the grave sin of my treachery and knew I should tell no one of how fragile my faith and I are against the extrinsic poignant influences like those of a short piece of music.

Yes, young lady, the song is all just a ruse: It is only Palestine.

"brother from Gaza"
July 9, 2010

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
It is a time of peace.

Peacefully, you wake up every morning with the most peaceful intentions of leading a peaceful day in your already chaotic life.

Whether you intended or it was predestined, the voice of Fairouz with which you prefer to sip your morning coffee, peacefully, avoiding all sort of news of conflicts, death, or pain on other radio stations turns into an agonizing pain with the “bells of return” triggering in your mind, you who were destined to chant for Palestine as long as you’re forced to live elsewhere.

Peacefully, you get into the taxi while your mind is so full with the most peaceful thoughts of how to peacefully resolve the argument that might take place with your boss. You take your mind of those aggressive thoughts, and prefer to stare out of the car window longing for peace. Only there, your eyes meet with fixed eyes of hundreds of faces hanging on the walls of the streets. You might recognize one or two or even tens; you who have lost so many who once have been the joy of your life. They used to be the joy of your life till they were killed, shot, shelled, torn, burned, or buried under rubbles. Now, they have turned into some temporarily memorials on the walls who would soon be replaced by others.

Peacefully, you go shopping for the Eid the day before with the most peaceful intention of a usual shopping day where all you think about is whether you’d find that red blouse. The only act of aggression would be directed towards the salesman with whom you argue, peacefully. The rising clamour of people around you is suddenly replaced by screams of terror as a bombing shakes the place. In seconds, you resume your enthusiastic argument with the salesman, peacefully; you who learned how to estimate possible danger. You no longer need a media coverage that would assure you the bombing was carried out by an F16 in a place far away. You already know, and continue shopping, peacefully

Wait a minute,

Your understanding of the word “peace” is mistaken. Peace is no longer a “state” of mind. It is rather a process. Please be informed that for peace to be processed, certain acts are obligatory:

Forget:

Forget about the word freedom. Freedom is a relative term invented by absolute idealistic people. Freedom should always be put under extreme supervision and restriction or else it would go beyond control. You should learn to live under some absolutely not harmful restrictions. Checkpoints are only there for safety reasons and hundreds of them dotted along the road of the West bank, though would restrict your movement for a short while that might cost you the life of a human being, are put there for the sake of ensuring the Peace process.

Forget about your history. Your history is worth nothing. It should start by the year 1967 where all what was left for you was the West Bank, partially and the Gaza Strip. A history of thousands of years should be erased of your memory and you should learn to accept that Palestine is only the pieces of land scattered around the borders of 1967.

Forget about the word Return. This is a term preserved only for Jews who claim to be displaced all around the world thousands of years ago. Palestinians who were tragically dispersed all around the world sixty two years ago should learn to just live where they are.

Forgive:

Be tolerant and learn to forgive. Forgive them the wars they wage, the massacres they commit, the blood they shed, the children they slaughter, the women they rape, the lands they erase, the trees they uproot, the torture they enjoy, and the humiliation they cause. Forgive them anything, and learn to live in Peace.

Forgive them and shake their dirty hands stained with your people’s blood and draw a smile upon your face before the camera for a shameful photograph.

Forgive them and smile to them while you ask your people to lay down arms and bid them farewell. Barehanded you stand before them, with not even a branch of olive, for you already lost that.

As long as you choose to live that peace, then our prayers to you to “Rest In Peace”.

Sameeha Elwan

17th September, 2010

http://sameeha88.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/in-the-name-of-peace/
The Roof of My House

I used to love the roof of my house. Well, not anymore.

There is a bunch of kids in the middle, all gazing at some round glittering objects. Appointing himself as the referee of the game, my little cousin declares the beginning of the match. A young boy starts. His pupils start to get bigger and sharper as he measures the angle. His looks are focused on his target. He professionally flicks the little marble out of his fist with the tip of his tiny thumb. "YES," he shouts. And the scuffle commences. His competitor, making an oath of divorce, claims that he who won had cheated. Then trying to accept the fact that he lost, he swears it was noting but a fluke by an amateur. Enraged, he quits the game and promises he would be taking revenge the next time they assemble to play.
The kids of the neighborhood always wondered why this group preferred the roof over the street. "The roof is much nicer," my cousin used to simply reply.
That's one reason why I loved the roof. I loved the spirit, and I loved the marbles.
A year has passed. The kids don't come over much often these days. The place no longer sounds like their warmhearted spot, let's say. Had he survived the war, my cousin would have been 12 years old by now. And here I am, selfishly mourning over my stupid roof while others had lost their lives!

There in the corner stands a pigeons' chamber. My parents have always argued whether to keep it or not. My mother used to complain about the "bad smell" and the "filth" the chamber caused. She, however, was fair enough to always praise the beauty of the doves. At that day, we all cried, mom included. There was too much blood to bear. We came to conclude that not only humans' but also birds' blood can be aching to see or to smell. Though the place is pretty dark in here, but now I can clearly see some feathers blowing here and there each time the puff hits what remained of the chamber. I only wish I could touch the feathers.

I don't know how they get water to reach houses in other countries, but in Gaza, you have a tank on the roof supplying your house with water. Our tank has been leaking for ages. The plumber is always busy (don't get surprised, for in Gaza, everyone is busy all the time), so we had to live with the water leaking from the barrel. Well, that had its advantages no doubt. The withered lawn under the tank began to get green when the leak first started. No wonder why my brother was sluggish and didn't want the plumber to come take a look; he must have loved the green lawn. BANG..BANG.. the tank is not leaking anymore. It's not even there. The lawn slowly dies. I desperately need to go irrigate it.

I used to study on the roof when I was a school-student. I can see my handwriting all over the place: on the water tanks, on the chamber's wall, on the railing of the roof. One year passed, and the handwriting started to fade. The stuff on which I used to write are no longer there. I eagerly want to go scribble something. I wish I could do so.

I wish I could one day go up to sit in the roof and to find that nothing had changed. I am waiting for the day when I go up to find my cousin and his fellows playing marbles. I am waiting for the day when I find the tank leaking and the lawn under it getting green. I am waiting for the day when I find the pigeons' chamber standing where my father had once built it. I believe I will one day find the roof as lovely as it has always been. I don't know how or when, but I feel it's coming, and I know how naïve this sounds.

I can't but love the roof of my house. I didn't survive the war, but I believe in miracles. I am praying those who survived would witness one.

"sister from Gaza"
February 5th, 2010
I Survive

“I want to survive”

I unconsciously replied to my big brother’s question. He did not expect such an answer to his inquiry on what I wanted him to get me from the supermarket before it gets dark, before hell would break again that night as it usually did every night at the same time. He laughed, bitterly. I did not.

It took me some time to realize that still then, I was surviving. After what seemed a long time, I still survived. It was a miracle to survive the nights. It wasn’t the same in the morning, but at night every thing went loose. Our house would be lighted every now and a while by a near bomb, but then the light we’ve missed for a while at night was of no use to us as staying up in our third-floor apartment was just an act of craziness. Here, one could definitely get shot any second. It was too close. The war was too close I couldn’t believe I’m still surviving. Here, you wouldn’t know when a bullet finally rests at your heart or chest or your eye, or a shell just tears you all apart. It was definitely crazy at night. Night was the time for evacuation, or shall I call it displacement? Leaving our house was never optional. It’s either you die or you leave the house to survive, which again was not guaranteed as you might leave the house to find that bullet waiting to rest in your heart as well. But, we had to go down anyway.

It was about sunset now. I could hear it begin again. I could hear it begin as every night at the same time and I would grab my mattress, my pillow, and my blankets, with the voice of my mother urging me to hurry. “It’s no time to be an obtuse” she would say, and I would discover that she was right as she always is, for I would have to crawl to go downstairs with not a bit of light on the stairs and with that luggage in my hands, in my pockets, on my head and covering me all around. I would crawl and cry. I’ve never paid much attention to history before and I so much hated history classes, but every time I would get downstairs seeing my mother, my father, brothers and sister with the luggage they could collect; most of which was not important, I could not but recall my late grandmother’s talk about the way she left her home. I thought we’re destined to displacement.

The downstairs room was not as clean or as wide as own lighted well-cleaned house. It was fine but bitterly cold. Somehow, my father thought it’s safer. My mother had to obey. It seemed to me that for this time, she was going to let him decide where we shall spend the night. Desperate, she would let him decide where we shall die. She could not. She was courageous though or acting so. She refused to get out of the house completely. I Thought I would never hear her say so, but she courageously refused to leave the house, and she repeated what I for once thought a cliché “I want to die at home.” My brother, terrified to death by the news of a close bombardment to a neighbour’s house, started crying, shouting at her face. “I don’t want to die”, he pleaded. Back then, I shamefully thought of how selfish of her to sacrifice all of her children for the sake of an old cliché and an older house. But, she was a refugee. She knew what it’s like to leave home. She knew the guilt she would feel when time passes by. That I knew later. I remember that her mother died, wishing she never left home.

The nights were dark and cold at that room. And when all would decide to stop talking, and try to sleep, I would start reading. Solaced by one and only one book that I kept reading over and over again, my mother, taking notice that I, unlike the others did not pretend to sleep, would start rebuking me every time she sees me holding the book so close to my eyes with one hand while the other holding a candle. “Are you planning to die burnt? Wait for your fate.” It was then I grew that fascination for Darwish, his “She is a song” was such a great relief. He, too, lived a war. He, too, wanted to survive to sing her a song and to make a cup of morning coffee. How many wars have we witnessed so far? Why didn’t the word cause me to tremble before as I’m trembling now? Perhaps it’s only cold.

Cold were those dark nights, sometimes terribly loud, frighteningly loud that I wished for some silence. That I could not get with the old radio my mother kept in her pocket day and night, tuned on. Was it her curiosity that made her listen to every single piece of news? Was she hopefully waiting they would announce the end of the war soon? As tortuous as it was, I was thankful electricity was off. Listening to my aunt crying heavily on the telephone and asking us to persevere, I knew that I have missed a lot. I heard the radio say a family was massacred the other day. I heard they say they demolished a whole neighbourhood, sometimes on the head of its inhabitants. I heard them announce figures of children, women, and men killed. I even heard some people calling and screaming for the help of the Red Crescent. Yet, I knew nothing. I’ve seen nothing of it.

“War would end soon. Perhaps it ends tomorrow. They say so.”

“You said so yesterday and the day before, and every day, father” I mutter, not caring.

The next day, the bombardment was faintly heard. There were still some warplanes around. But most importantly, electricity was back. TV was turned on again. In fact, we knew nothing, we’ve seen nothing. The last 23 days started passing in pictures and voice into the screens. I was not on TV. None of my family was. I survived a war while more than a thousand of my people did not. I survived a war not because I was a hero, but…

A war ago, I wouldn’t have thought about writing this, about writing anything. Today, trembling, recalling, I find it an obligation to write the details of it no matter how trivial it might sound for I have to survive; we shall survive.

"sister from Gaza"
26th December, 2010
To my beloved Palestine, I am sorry. I love you.

My aim is not to narrate what happened on March, 15th; I will leave this to someone else. I will allow myself to be sentimental and emotional. I want to aver my feelings of pain, disgust, disappointment, and anger with this nonsense……. With much anticipation…

Fighting back my tears, I jot down these words.

Dear Palestine,

I remember the day we, Palestinians, were all hand in hand, fighting with every cell of our bodies, with every breath of life, with every memory of death, and with every stone we could lay our hands on. I remember the day we fought tooth and nail to win over an Israeli watch-tower erected on our soil, killing our families and friends, and to climb up and raise a Palestinian flag upon it instead. I remember the day we were (children, men, and women) so proud to say: I am a Palestinian. I am a freedom fighter by birth and will never bow down to tyranny and occupation. I am never giving up one inch of my land, I will never have a rest, and I will always do my utmost best to get back my Palestine… And now, I sit here, too ashamed and too paralyzed, disappointment jamming the air in my lungs, suffocating me as I grasp what Palestinian has come to mean. It has become the trend of the decade. It has become the cursed nationality on my ID card and passport. It has become the Mapkin and the Palestine Papers. It has become international donations and open/closed borders. It has become the tunnels, and the Separation Wall with its graffitis. It has become Gaza or the West Bank. It has become the “three-state solution”. It has become yellow, or green. You detain me, and I detain you. You kill me, and I kill you. And Israel is, well not watching, but enjoying and expanding.

Dear Palestine… On behalf of Fatah, Hamas, Popular Front, Islamic Jihad, and all Palestinians, I am sorry. I am sorry we have allowed ourselves to fall into the dark abyss of disunity, although for your sake, forgetting that you are above us all.
I haven’t been feeling as though Palestine was Gaza, the West Bank, and the 1948 lands. If I define myself as Palestinian, it won’t be accurate enough. I have to say am Gazan. But NO, GOD **** IT! I AM PALESTINIAN, FROM PALESTINE!

We, the people, have always known this state is getting us nowhere. Who but us has two governments for a “no state”?
Well, my sustained yearning for that feeling of rebellion is finally to be met! March, 15th is the day we say ENOUGH! END THIS UGLY, DISHOMORABLE CHAPTER OF OUR HISTORY! If truth be told, I was afraid we will not be large in number. I was afraid not enough Palestinians will realize they are Palestinians and have the courage and will to go out and chant for one Palestine. And to be more precise, I was not sure whether West-bankers will be up for it; I barely felt them, ever.

It was finally March, 15th.
NOTHING tasted as sweet as the odor of REVOLUTION and REBIRTH filling the air that morning! One Flag (although I noticed they were all creased), and ONE CALL (END THE DIVISION)!!!! I was overwhelmed with feelings of rapture and honour! The young, the old, the female, and the male, the healthy and the ill, and even peddlers; all flooding the streets singing Palestine with shades of blazing fire in their eyes. Then I heard of the great numbers streaming the streets in the West Bank! I felt as though a new Palestine was beginning to take shape!

Until I saw something which made my heart beat faster than the pounding of a million boxsters….. Hamas has come in immense numbers holding new Palestinian flags attached to their green flag. I cannot put in plain words what it did to my heart, that sight…

I started walking aimlessly amongst the infiltrated crowds, watching the Hamas buses, and listening to them shouting “the people want to end the division” and giving speeches. It seemed more like an election campaign. It was off-putting, indeed. My friends and I almost left the scene. But abrupt shoutings “THE PEOPLE WANT ALAM FLSTEEN (the Palestinian flag)” really pushed our spirits up!

We joined in, we chanted, we moved around, until we finally decided to leave to Al-Katiba, leaving Al-Jundi Square to them, and trying to avoid any collision with them whatsoever. We came out peaceful, and we wanted to keep it as such.

Dear Palestine… So disgracefully, Hamas has used inexcusable aggressive means to scatter the crowds as evening descended. The same was done in the West Bank, but for a lesser degree that it did not affect the continuation of their protests and hunger-strikes. Amongst us in Gaza, though, was the wounded, the insulted, and the detained. It was so disturbing. They have managed time and again to disperse ours, but never succeeded in breaking our spirit.

I am sorry again. But, I promise you this: I will never tire out from shouting “End the Division”, and no matter what they do, we will go back again and again, and we will not allow this humiliation and dishonour to continue. Enough of us are still and will always remain up for it.

Dear Creased Palestinian Flag,

Hear the buried screams of my torn heart, the silenced cries of my aching soul, and the imprisoned shouts in my lungs; oh how I missed you…! We have, so inconsiderately, replaced you with utter rags that have done us no good but pleasure our enemy… My words would fail to articulate the seas of joy and satisfaction I was overcome with once I held you up high, chanting “end the division, end the occupation”!! It has been so many years since I’ve seen you flying, defying…! The only places I have been seeing you are either on TV soaring in solidarity demos, or with convoyers and activists coming into Gaza… I am sorry WE have kept you folded in the closet these many years and chose to be colour-branded… So, NO! I will not accept the new joint-flags of Hamas; I much prefer you, as creased and crumpled as you are… “WE WANT `ALAM FLSTEEN!!!!!”

Dear Hamas,

May God forgive you, as I do not have the capacity to do so. You have suppressed a caged-for-years anger and anguish.
I am deeply disgusted, disappointed, and infuriated by the way in which you have handled—or, rather, mishandled— the situation. The course of action that you have, so stupidly and callously, been undertaking is not in the slightest justified. Where is your so-called Islam??? Perhaps I am in no position to judge, but for to my own awareness beating up kids, girls, and elderly is by no means Islamic. Beating up university students for merely calling for the end of division is by no means Islamic. Preventing ambulances from reaching the wounded inside the university is by no means Islamic. Beating up journalists and confiscating all Cameras, brutally and recklessly, and so explicitly lying to the public are by no means Islamic. The policy of silencing your people is also far from Islamic.

You may have succeeded in infiltrating our PEACEFUL protests, AGAINST DISUNITY that is, yet you have just given all of us, particularly those who actually had some faith in you, a concrete reason to reject your rule and authority. It’s a crying shame…

Allow me to say that you are paranoid, or as you have just proved-Palinoid. You’ve came with the flags to assert your presence?? All you did was add more fuel to the fire and assert the division in an anti-division demo. The flag thing is an obvious provocation! You do not want it to look like an anti-Hamas protest?? Well, the bands, green scarves, and the green hats were enough to say you are Hamas! Forget that, ONE supporting speech from a high ranking official would have done the trick! You have just given us every excuse to be an anti-Hamas indeed (not that we would shout anything other than ‘End the Division’ still; merely because our ultimate objective is to narrow down the gap, and not broaden it as you have so unmistakably did). You need to realize one thing and one thing only; not everything that isn’t solely Hamas is anti-Hamas. You need to learn how to man up and accept the other. We are the people you want to “liberate” for God’s sake!

If you were received with any opposition from the people later on, then you are mostly responsible for having generated it. Fatah certainly did not fund and support those protests as you claim. The West Bank has 700,000 protesters right now! Some were met by the like treatment from PA’s security forces, too! It is just that I was not anticipating that from you. Even if they did, is it an excuse to take such brutal, unjustified measures??

Dear Hamas, if I had a shred of faith in you, it has transformed into an angry beast inside of me! But look, I am not perfect, neither is anyone else. So I am not expecting you to be God’s angels on earth, and I will still only shout for an end of the division, and only the end of the division. As for you, you need to grow a pair, use your brains, and stop acting so foolish. Whatever happened to win the hearts and minds?? Match your words to your actions, and do something about your crippled sense of justice. Palestinians deserve better.

In the end, I tell you this: what happened on March 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th (and yet expected to happen again and again) is an utter disgrace to the memory of Ahmad Yassin and Abdul-Aziz Al-Rantisi.

Dear Red Cross Administration and Staff,

Yet again, a devastating blow to my faith. The disappointed, angry youth of March 15th resorted to you for protection and had a protest outside your door, but what did you do? You let them get beaten and dispersed, under the lame excuse that his was none of your business. What a shame.

Dear Fatah supporters,

The sorry fact that you have, so blindedly, followed a selling-out agenda and were willing to buy whatever crap that is fed to you, and prefer material benefit to your own cause is beyond me. Why is it so hard for you to see through the collaboration of your cheap authority?? Or hard for you to reject it?? Wake up and put Palestine before anything else.

Dear Mr. President,

Your days are numbered (ps. MASSIVE GRIN ON MY FACE). The only sane thing you have done so far is declaring you are not running for elections (as if you a chance of winning in the first place)! There is a piece of hope of upcoming betterment which I cannot explain crawling towards my heart…

Dear March 15 protesters,

So I bitterly I laugh, for we have finally achieved some kind of unity. Hamas and Fatah against the people haha… Although we could have done it better, and come up with more innovative and effective ways to approach this matter, but I am proud of every one of you and I am with you all along. Even if our protests merely expressed our dissatisfaction with disunity, I am all for it. Every wound, every bruise, and every insult is to remain a badge of honour for everyone who participated. I will not let them get to me and I will not cave in; they want to play it dirty? So be it, we are Palestinians after all. We have got nothing more to lose.

We do need to realize something though; sincere protest should come from those who support Hamas and Fatah AGAINST THEIR OWN FACTIONS! Awareness is very much desired at this stage.

Dear Rachel Corrie,

You are not forgotten and will never be. As a Palestinian and a human being, I appreciate how caring, devoted, and human you have always been, and I am deeply sorry I was consumed in my rage and angst that I did not realize it was your day on the 16th may your soul rest in peace.

Dear Mubarak,

I just can’t help but say this! >>>> You may rot in hell

sister from gaza
A Life Beyond the Borders
Written by: Sameeha Elwan

“I should charge my laptop before I get to sleep”, I thought before I got under my thick blanket on my first night in Ustinov College, Durham. Realizing I’d no longer need to worry about electricity cuts, at least not for the next year, I beamed. Even sleeping turns out to be a totally new experience here, out of Gaza. I slept, not worrying that I should be waking up on dawn to catch up with some online reading before the electricity is off for the most part of the day; I slept without selfishly convincing myself that the shelling shocking my house every now and then and claiming the lives of other Gazans is somehow going to be far from my house, my family and my loved ones.
It’s been two weeks since I’ve been here and each day brings about new dimensions to life. A realization of how much I’ve been forcefully robbed.
Every morning, I helplessly run downstairs, eager to check on my mail. While my flatmates carelessly check their mail as if doing so is a boring daily life routine, I enthusiastically flip through the envelopes searching for the mail coming under my name. Mostly, it’s receipts and notices. But, no matter how formal those letters are, getting them still fills me with a sense of life. And I just wish that one day I’ll boringly go through the mail as careless. I wish for the day when this is no longer an exceptional experience, when getting a bunch of books from a friend in the US won’t have to take six months to get to me, when a postcard with an Eiffel tower finds its way to my heart without the burden of first going all the way to Jerusalem then me, if I were lucky enough.
In Gaza, nothing has felt more disheartening and infuriating than the shortage of books I would be recommended. Wandering around the very few bookshops in Gaza, I could barely see any recent publications for Palestinian writers. The most torturous to find were those of Edward Said who, widely read here, is barely read in our academic curricula. Books are everywhere here: every Department, Every street, every house, and every corner, sometimes. Thinking their policies would result in an ignorant native population, they are unaware they are making of us a generation thirsty for books, and for knowledge. Books were my solicitous companion in darkness; books still are my enlightening companion.
Every new experience, whether a musical concert, a museum, a theatre, a street performance and more, reminds me of home. It reminds me of the injustice I’ve been subjected to on daily basis. And I realize it when I speak of how it’s like to live in Palestine for people here. Stunned, emotional, shocked, or even tearful as some people could get when I speak of the mundane things that I once took for granted as a Gazan, it’s me who’s the more shocked or even traumatized to realize how unfair I was to myself when I considered a life of injustice as the norm. And I’m bound more to home, to Gaza, to Palestine. I realize that my life is all about fighting. Fighting for life.
Israel Ruined My Birthday. Again.

It was my birthday yesterday. As an inhabitant of the Gaza Strip, I find it naive not to take the power cuts schedule into consideration when planning for birthdays. It goes like this in here: the day when the power goes off form 6:00 am till 2:00 pm, followed by the day when it goes off from 2:00 pm till 11:00 pm, and the third day when I am privileged to enjoy electricity all day long. Then it goes all over again. On my birthday this year, the electricity was to go off on a night shift, and so I decided to celebrate (not really celebrate; we just buy some cake) the 20 years I survived one day earlier. Not a big deal, is it?

On the day when I was to have my small party, it went dark. Just like that. No warning. No schedule. No nothing. It just turned off. Not that it was a first, no, the schedule is actually messed up most of the time, but this time it hurt the most as I thought I planned ahead. In Gaza, however, there seems to be no planning ahead. We were later informed that the electricity company is running out of fuel. Helpless, I sat down cursing the dark. Then came that sense of defeat to which I vulnerably succumbed. ”How am I going to someday celebrate the independence of Palestine when I can’t celebrate my **** birthday?” I thought to myself.

On my birthday last year, a neighbor of mine died after sustaining a serious injury that he had during the last offensive on the Gaza Strip. I couldn’t have had a birthday party when my neighbor’s kids were crying, “Wen baba?/Where is dad?”

Yesterday, which was my REAL birthday, I lazed around, in the scheduled dark, fidgeting and thinking of my friends’ birthday wishes on Facebook that I hadn’t replied to as my cell’s battery died out, the long-as-ever 20 years I lived, the two birthdays Israel spoiled, and the four kids that my neighbor left behind. At some point, I felt my misery is Israel’s pleasure, my delight its dismay.

And as I began to get my strength back, I held my pen and made up my mind to record what goes on, for I shouldn’t forget. I don’t want to forget.

*sister from Gaza*
15/10/2011
Memories of Gaza: when the victim is called the terrorist
by Sarah Ali

December 31, 2011

I am a terrorist. At least that is what they call me. I grew up hearing the same word being repeated all the time that I thought terrorists were the good guys for a second. They are apparently not. Of the many saddening times I went through, the 2008-2009 offensive that Israel launched on the Gaza Strip is the worst and probably the most painful. I was "lucky" enough to survive and have the chance to speak for those who lost their lives although I am quite sure their death can speak well for them.

It was December the 27th, 2008 when the Israeli warplanes started dropping bombs on every place in Gaza, killing anything or anybody getting—or not getting in their way.

The war left lots of people dead. More than 1450 Palestinians were killed, 5600 injured. There were people dying everyday.

Then there was Anwar…

Just when we began to hear the news of Israel's intentions to end the war, Anwar Shehada was killed. Anwar was a 13 year old neighbor of mine who lived a few meters away from where I live. It was the last day of the war when Anwar told her younger sister she was going up to get the laundry from the roof. Her sister asked her not to go; Anwar told her sister not to worry because the war was almost 'over'. Before her parents could see her going up to the roof, Anwar was already gone. She probably thought that Israel would not kill a beautiful 13 year old girl. Israel proved her wrong. The explosion that killed Anwar was the loudest one I ever heard. I thought it was our house being shelled. The floor was literally shaking. We waited for death. In seconds, we saw the smoke coming out of the neighbor's house. They said Anwar's blood was all over the roof. Her head was found in the street.

And then, there was Haneen…

Haneen was actually killed before Anwar, but we knew about her death a week after the end of the war. Haneen was my 5 year old friend who I first met in a mosque to which we both used to go. All I remember about her is the way she liked to tease me. She used to make that sound of 'meow' because she knew I hated cats. The 'meow' was actually the way she said 'hi' each time we saw each other. During the war, Haneen's family decided to go stay with their relatives in Tal Elhawa, assuming that the area would be less dangerous. Haneen left her house, only to be killed in the house that was thought to be safe.

I cannot imagine the pain Haneen felt when the bomb penetrated her little heart tearing it apart. I do not know what it feels like to lose a child, and I have no idea how tremendous the suffering of Anwar and Haneen's parents is. I cannot imagine the shock Haneen felt when she saw the ceiling of the bedroom falling down and getting closer to her face. I cannot imagine how a soldier looked right from his plane at that little girl and decided to end her life. I cannot imagine the kind of hatred that soldier had towards Palestinians that made him believe murdering a child is okay. I cannot imagine the denial that soldier lived in that made him think what he did was 'self-defense'. I cannot imagine how this very same soldier can now eat, drink, sleep, and simply go on with his life. And I cannot understand how stupid Israel has to be to think that I will not fight back for my little friends.

I kept thinking of Haneen for a year after she got killed, but now I do not think too much of her. It is just when I see her mother in the street that I remember how cute Haneen was. In fact, I have become selfish enough to avoid saying hi to Haneen's mom whenever we meet. Each time I see her, I would hide my face hoping she will not see me. When Haneen was alive, her mother and I used to chat about how smart Haneen was and how bright her future would be. Now I just have nothing to say to her. I cannot make things better. I cannot look her mother in the eye and ask her 'how are things?' because each time she replies with, 'things are good', I am sure that they are not.

I am living in a world whose concepts are no longer clear to me. A world where the criminal walks free and the victim is called a terrorist. A world where killing a 5 year old kid is permissible. A world that once left me baffled about what is right and what is wrong. I have always thought that we could figure out who the terrorist is simply by looking at who dies on whose side. I was wrong. Israel has the ability to kill Palestinians at night and call them terrorists the next morning.

Now on a second thought, I think I am a terrorist. I mean I want the Israelis out of the refugees' lands, and I call the IDF a group of coldhearted murderers all the time. This obviously makes me a terrorist. Haneen did not know what a coldhearted blood is! Haneen was a little kid whose life was snuffed out because an Israeli soldier felt like killing somebody, and she just happened to be that somebody. Haneen was an unfortunate human being who was born Palestinian and accordingly guilty. She did nothing wrong to Israel. She was a 5 year old girl who was split into little pieces while in bed. Haneen was too young to die. Who cares about Haneen's death anyway? She was a terrorist, too.

(Sarah Ali, 20, is a student of English literature at the Islamic University, Gaza. She blogs at Here We Are)

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:salam2:

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslims~Amin!

Thank you
for sharing,

~Wassalam .

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Unfortunately these stories describe the events of this moment again. Same fears and tears, losing friends and family members, home and everything what was your own and dear to you.

:(

May Allah keep people in Gaza safe and make people a little more sensible to resolve their problems by other ways than wars all the time.