**SUNNAHS OF SLEEPING & SCIENCE** V important

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
SUNNAHS OF SLEEPING AND SCIENCE

"..the Prophet slept for a part of the night, and late in the night he got up and performed ablution from a hanging water skin, a light (perfect) ablution and stood up for the prayer."...(Bukhari)

Modern Studies have shown that this may be the best advice for many people:::

* SLEEP STUDY...a 6 year study of more than a million Americans showed that a good night's sleep is 7 hours. It also showed that people who sleep for 8 hours or more tend to die prematurely. Study leader, Daniel F. Kripke, says, "You really don't have to sleep for 8 hours and you don't have to worry about it. It is evidently very safe to sleep only 7, 6 or even 5 hours a night."

*STATISTICS...In the study the death risk for people with excess sleep was 34% compared to only 12% for those who slept 8 hours and only 22% for those who had too little sleep!

TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION

*up to 60% of depressed people will show a 30% improvement after just one night awake.

* Sleep inhibits the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) that helps control our metabolism and indirectly our levels of energy. An estimated 25 to 30% of depressed patients have low TSH levels. Recent research shows that staying awake through the night and the early morning hours boost it.

The holy Prophet would sleep shortly after Isha and wake up in the very early hours of the morning, sometimes as early as midnight to pray.

Shaykh Abdul Haq in his book Madarijun Nabuwa states,

"because the heart is on the left one will not be satisfied with the sleep and the person will sleep heavily not knowing his state. If one sleeps on the right side the heart dangles meaning a person cannot sleep heavily. This benefits a person as he can look after himself and his family if anything happens. A major benefit is that one will not miss the morning prayeras one is not engaged in heavy sleep.

Imam Shafi states that there are 4 types of sleep;

1.to lie on the back-this is the sleep of the Prophet's .

2. to sleep on the right side-which is the sleep of the WORSHIPPERS (us!)

3. to sleep on the left side-which is the sleep of the rulers.

4. to sleep on the stomach-which is the sleep of the devil.

HADITH; Hadhrat Aisha radhiallahu anha states, "Whosoever sleeps after Asr salah and loses their intellect only has themselves to blame. "

SCIENCE; A gas exits from the earth at the time of Asr salah which is heavy and can effect a person's mind and heart. If a person sleeps before Isha, the body also sleeps and cannot fight this gas hence causing illnesses.

Washing hands after waking up

SCIENCE; Germs may accumulate on the hands during the course of the night.

HADITH; Abu Huraira narrates, "When you wake up from sleep to pray, wash your hands before youput them in the wudhu water, for you do not know where your hands have spent the night."

sleeping on the floor

SCIENCE; Doctor Nixon says, "When a healthy person sleeps his muscles become relaxed. A comfortable bed is bad for the spinal cord and in my eyes I have met such patients that have been affected with a bad back. Children's bones are weak and if they sleep on soft beds it affects their bones and this will affect them throughout their lives. Soft beds results in back pain as the muscles and back become slack and if soft beds are used regularly then this becomes a regular accordance."

SUNNAH; Islam taught us this method a long time ago and the Holy Prophet did this himself.

Aisha radhiallahu anha states, "The Prophet's bed was made of animal skin, which had leaves of date trees."

Dusting the bed

SCIENCE; No religion mentions the practice of cleaning the bed before sleeping. Once a person did not clean his bed before sleeping in it.Being cold that day, a snake rested in the bed and bit the person killing him. One may ask there are no snakes that roam around freely, however bedbugs that live in the bed may harm you.

SUNNAH;Look at the method taught by the Holy Prophet 1400 years ago. It is sunnah to dust the bed 3 times before sleeping in it. Ensuring that there are no bedbugs or of the sort resting in the bed! SubhanAllah!

Changing clothes before sleeping

SCIENCE; For hygiene purposes it is advised not to sleep in the clothing worn throughout the day, but to wear something lose fittingas tight clothing does not benefit one's sleep. Whilst sleeping our limbs are stationary affecting the blood circulation; wearing tight clothing will affect the circulation further.

SUNNAH; The Messenger of Allah would wear a lose fitting garment known as the tehband.

kaylula
SCIENCE; Doctor Geolick Oston, who has written many books writes, "If it was in my control I would close schools, factories etc and make everyone rest at this time as if this is observed then we would have less ill patients and people would be saved from many illnesses." The psychologist suggests that sleeping at this time refreshes the body, strengthening it and it is saved from many physical and mental illnesses. But this is best after eating in the afternoon and for no longer than an hour.

SUNNAH; Anas said, "The companions of the Holy Prophet would observe Friday Prayer first and then have a siesta (kaylula)."

We find that many practices of the Holy Prophet are being proven science! Whatever the Holy prophet did was for the best ofhis followers!

sleeping with wudhu

SCIENCE; A similar ritual is also encouraged by yoga experts who say that washing motor and sensory organs such as the hands, arms, eyes, legs, mouth and genitals before sleep using cool water relaxes the body preparing it for a deep sleep.

SUNNAH; When a person sleeps with wudhu, Allah Almighty gives permission to his soul to visit the Arsh and bow to Allah Almighty. Whilst sleeping in the state of wudhu, the reward of worship is being written for you in your book of deeds all night, SubhanAllah!

PS. i humbly requesat yuu rememba me and all my muslim bro's & sis's in yr duaa's plz.. :D
jazakom ALlah

aishah_2304m

peace lover
jazaaq Allah khair brother for sharing the knowledge.....ur post reagardin not to sleep on stomach waz masha Allah ver gud....its ver true dat quite v dont understand da wisdom behind da acts Allah(swt) has told us.
nw i can sleep well lol :) ...alhamdulilaah
May Allah bless u ameen.

muslimahsara

muslamah HAMDOULILAH
Jazik Allah bro

I nice of you sharing with your borthers and sisters fil Allah.
I like those kind of info

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Is it harram to sleep on stomach?

Since thats the only way I can sleep!
salam bro
yes its haram and unhealthy to sleep on stomach
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27496
but you have too try yr hardest to avoid it ..make dua'a
and try and get used to sleep on right hand side (sunnah)
thats why children should sleep on right ..so they get used to it :)

so .. just try yr best and it will work inshallah :D
wasalm

hijab_sister

ALLAH is in my heart
salam bro
MASHA ALLAH.
it was realy informative.
but if i sleep less than 8 houres i feel so lazy n sleepy all the day.
yeh ALHAMDULLILAH i wash my hands after waking up.
but i dnt dust my bed.silly me
ALHAMDULLILAH i change dress b4 sleping.
i try to slep in wudu.
alas how for away im from sunnah in sleeping habits.
may ALLAH give me toufiq to adopt sleeping habits according to sunnah.amin sumamin
bro INSHA ALLAH v will remember u in our duas.
jazakallahum khair for sharing.
FI AMANILLAH

OsMaN_93

Here to help
----------

assalam alikomi had the same problem, but heres the solution (amazing mashallah)
when you sleep the shaitan ties 3 knots round your neck to the pillow
in order for the 3 knots to go.
you need to do these three following things when you wake up to fajr
1st. say "aa'oothu bellahi mena a'shhitan arrageem"
<<first knot gone>>
2nd. you need to do wudu
<<second knot gone>>
3rd. you need to pray
<<third knot gone>>

and then you will feel very active,and energietic:)
inshallah

MASHALLAH !! it sure works for me!!:D

daywalker

HADITH; Hadhrat Aisha radhiallahu anha states, "Whosoever sleeps after Asr salah and loses their intellect only has themselves to blame. "

As for sleeping after 'Asr, this is also permitted; there is no saheeh hadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to indicate that sleeping at this time is prohibited.

Abu Ya'la narrates from 'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, 'Whosoever sleeps after 'Asr Salaah and loses their intellect, has only themselves to blame.'

As for the words, "Whoever sleeps after 'Asr and loses his mind as a result has no-one to blame but himself," which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), this is a false hadeeth and there is no proof that these words were uttered by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

opinion differs, some says there are chain present, but weak. and some said this is fabricated.

"Marwan [ibn Muhammad al-Asadi] said: I said to Layth ibn Sa`d - when I saw him sleep after `Asr during the month of Ramadan - 'O Abul-Harith! Why are you sleeping after `Asr when Ibn Lahi`ah has told us ... (and he mentioned the false hadith)?' Al-Layth said: 'I do not give up something that is good for me because of the hadith of Ibn Lahi`ah from `Aqil!' I am impressed by this answer of al-Layth, because it is indicative of understanding and knowledge, and no wonder, for he was one of the imams of the Muslims and well known jurists."

farrdeen

Asalamualaikum Warahmatulahi Wabarakatuhu fellow believers. Alhmadulilah, sleep is a beautiful topic to discuss about.
but I have a few things to point out. The 'Sleep Study' can be a biased, critisisable one. Of course, the amount of time one sleeps depends on his/her activities performed earlier and the moral state among others.
Concerning depressed people, then the majority of them don't have a proper sleep. why? because sleeplessness forms part of the semiology (study of signs and symptoms) of depression. And depression (especially major depressive episodes) is treated with drugs which might induce sleep in terms of drowsiness and sleepiness (a beneficial side effect of antidepressants or desired effect of sedatives/hypnotics). If a depressed person remains awake the latter might exacerbate the disorder.
I accept many hadiths without questioning. But not all interpretations from common people are right.
by the way the heart only points to the left but it is found in the middle of an anatomic region called the mediastinum. A person needs a sound sleep to be able to wake up for his prayers and daily activities. Indeed, we should follow the Sunnah and sleep on the right side as much as we can.
'SCIENCE; A gas exits from the earth at the time of Asr salah which is heavy and can effect a person's mind and heart. If a person sleeps before Isha, the body also sleeps and cannot fight this gas hence causing illnesses.'

I think that this is a bit of a nonsense (I beg your pardon in case someone is offended). There are special orthopedic mattresses which are cosy and help fight 'spinal' or better vertebral column malformations or any other associated disease.
Our PROPHET (peace be upon him) is endowed with ingenuity and cleverness. Indeed his words are to be listened to and put into practice. Those days there were no special mattresses available. He passed through so many hardships for us to take examples and behave well. He attached rocks to his belly so as to combat hunger and prayed for his Ummah. Masha Allah (The Almighty).
Concerning blood circulation my fellow believers, wearing tight clothes doesn't interfere much. On the contrary, people suffering from edema or who might acquire blood coagulation diseases (like deep venous thrombosis in people who've undergone recent orthopedic surgery notably of the hips and thigh, women who've had recent deliveries, cancer patients, and confined to bed among others) which are very common, often have support stockings to prevent such disorders (here mostly deep venous thrombosis). These support stockings are very tight and much tighter than pantyhoses to allow a good blood circulation.
But if the Prophet (Peace be Upon him) suggested to wear loose clothes, I agree 100%, he's so much an example.
I sincerely Wish that our Prayers are listened to and That Allah the Almighty gives Us what is Best for Us.
Jazaak Allah Khair.
I also seek for forgiveness if I've said anything wrong or which has hurt anyone.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★

Thank you
for sharing this ,
brother.
:jazaak:

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslim~Amin!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Asalamualaikum Warahmatulahi Wabarakatuhu fellow believers. Alhmadulilah, sleep is a beautiful topic to discuss about.
but I have a few things to point out. The 'Sleep Study' can be a biased, critisisable one. Of course, the amount of time one sleeps depends on his/her activities performed earlier and the moral state among others.
Concerning depressed people, then the majority of them don't have a proper sleep. why? because sleeplessness forms part of the semiology (study of signs and symptoms) of depression. And depression (especially major depressive episodes) is treated with drugs which might induce sleep in terms of drowsiness and sleepiness (a beneficial side effect of antidepressants or desired effect of sedatives/hypnotics). If a depressed person remains awake the latter might exacerbate the disorder.
I accept many hadiths without questioning. But not all interpretations from common people are right.
by the way the heart only points to the left but it is found in the middle of an anatomic region called the mediastinum. A person needs a sound sleep to be able to wake up for his prayers and daily activities. Indeed, we should follow the Sunnah and sleep on the right side as much as we can.
'SCIENCE; A gas exits from the earth at the time of Asr salah which is heavy and can effect a person's mind and heart. If a person sleeps before Isha, the body also sleeps and cannot fight this gas hence causing illnesses.'

I think that this is a bit of a nonsense (I beg your pardon in case someone is offended). There are special orthopedic mattresses which are cosy and help fight 'spinal' or better vertebral column malformations or any other associated disease.
Our PROPHET (peace be upon him) is endowed with ingenuity and cleverness. Indeed his words are to be listened to and put into practice. Those days there were no special mattresses available. He passed through so many hardships for us to take examples and behave well. He attached rocks to his belly so as to combat hunger and prayed for his Ummah. Masha Allah (The Almighty).
Concerning blood circulation my fellow believers, wearing tight clothes doesn't interfere much. On the contrary, people suffering from edema or who might acquire blood coagulation diseases (like deep venous thrombosis in people who've undergone recent orthopedic surgery notably of the hips and thigh, women who've had recent deliveries, cancer patients, and confined to bed among others) which are very common, often have support stockings to prevent such disorders (here mostly deep venous thrombosis). These support stockings are very tight and much tighter than pantyhoses to allow a good blood circulation.
But if the Prophet (Peace be Upon him) suggested to wear loose clothes, I agree 100%, he's so much an example.
I sincerely Wish that our Prayers are listened to and That Allah the Almighty gives Us what is Best for Us.
Jazaak Allah Khair.
I also seek for forgiveness if I've said anything wrong or which has hurt anyone.
mashallah, it's always good to hear from people who are knowledgeable in certain fields. Just so you know, I do agree with you, I posted this quite a while ago. Some of the hadiths mentioned are likely to be weak. So there is a possibility that this some are fabricated, but we must rely on current and up-to-date scientific knowledge, if we do not have anything Islamic to fall back onto.