Sunnan Mahjoorah (Abandoned Sunnan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Introduction and First Episode
In the Name of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

The Introduction and First Episode of Sunnan Mahjoorah (Abandoned Sunnan)

It was narrated from Aboo Hurairah in Muslim that the Prophet (PBUH) said once: "He who called (people) to righteousness, there would be reward (assured) for him like the rewards of those who adhered to it, without their rewards being diminished in any respect. And he who called (people) to error, he shall have to carry (the burden) of its sin, like those who committed it, without their sins being diminished in any respect."

Many proofs have been cited in the Book and the Sunnah that encourage people to adhere to the Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH). From the Book:

Allaah, the Most High, says: "Verily in the Messenger of Allaah you have a good example for him who looks unto Allaah and the Last Day, and remembers Allaah much." (33:21)

From the Sunnah:

The Prophet (PBUH) says: "…hold on to my sunnah…" (Saheehul-Jaami')

From the sayings of the Salaf (the righteous predecessors):

al-Fudail Ibn 'Iyaadh once said: "There are some servants by which Allaah revitalizes the lands; they are the people of the Sunnah."

al-Awzaa'ee once said: "it was said that there have been five things that the Companions and their Followers did: Adhering to the group of Muslims (al-Jamaa'ah), holding on to the Sunnah (of the Prophet (SAAWS)), holding on to doing the collective prayers (at the mosques), reciting from the Holy Quran, and striving in the path of Allaah."

The benefits of holding on to the Sunnah (of the Prophet (PBUH):

1. It leads to Allah's love for His obedient servant as reported in the hadeeth Qudsee in Bukhaaree where it reads: "…and My servant continues doing nawafil (optional Salaat) until I love him/ her, and so when I love him/ her, I become the hearing by which he/ she hears…etc."

2. Holding on to doing the nawafil would redress what might be missed during the obligatory Salaat. Abu Hurairah (May Allaah be pleased with him) said: The first thing that the servant shall be asked about on the Day of Judgment is his salaat. He said that Allah will say to His angels-though He knows all about everything- look in the prayer of My servant, is it complete or deficient? Then if it was complete, it would be written complete. And if it was deficient, then Allah will say: "(O My angles) does My servant have nawafil?" Should the servant have nawafil, then Allaah will say: "(O My angles) redress My servant's deficiency from his nawafil…"

3. Those who hold on to the Sunnah have preference (on the part of Allaah) over those who do not, and this preference becomes greater in the times where Sunnah is neglected and where its people are offended by others. The prophet (PBUH) said: "There shall come days where patience (holding on to Sunnah) is like holding on to embers. And so, the rewards for those who hold on to Sunnah by then are as fifty times as your rewards now."

Accordingly, here are some abandoned Sunnan that are missing among many students of knowledge not to mention the commoners. And so, consider them carefully and try to practice them in order to get the rewards in this life and the next.[1]

1. Salaatud-Dhuhaa: and especially during the time when the son is very hot. Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said: The prayer of those who are penitent is observed when your weaned camels feel the heat of the sun.

2. Lengthening the time of uplifting after Rukoo' and the time of sitting between the two prostrations. This is clear in the hadeeth narrated by Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) as he said: "I spare no effort to make the Salaat of the Prophet (PBUH) among you, he (Anas) said: The Prophet (PBUH) did something which is missing among you, he would stand up from Rukoo' (for a long time) until someone says he (the Prophet) forgot. And when he would raise his head from prostration, he would stay long before making the second prostration so that someone would say that the Prophet forgot." (Bukhaaree)

3. Performing the Iq'aa (Setting up one's feet (on the toes) placing the buttocks on the heels) during sitting between the two prostrations. It is narrated from Abee Zubair that he heard Tawoos saying: We asked Ibn 'Abaas about Iq'aa, and he said that "this is the Sunnah". (Muslim)

This Iq'aa is different from the one warned against where the man sits placing his buttocks on the ground and setting up his feet on the toes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] We would like to remind the dear reader that we shall consider one to three sunnan in each article, so that everyone can read, apprehend, and practice what they read.

http://asaala.net/viewSunnaTopics.php?sunnaTopicID=1

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
The Second Episode

The Second Episode

This time we shall deal with other three abandoned Sunnan, so please be mindful while you read and try to revive them at home and among your friends and relatives, and remember that you shall be rewarded upon each and every one practices the abandoned sunnah motivated by your advice.

4. Invocation after the final Tashahud and before the (Tasleem) salutation ending the prayer. It is desirable to do so invoking for what one's wishes of the good of this life and the next. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said to his Companions when he taught them how to say the Tashahud: "Then he (the doer of the prayer) may choose what pleases him of supplication and offer it" (Muslim).

5. Offering Salaatun-Nafl at home. This Sunnah is approved by the hadeeth of Ibn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with both of them) when he said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Offer some of your prayers (Nawafil) at home, and do not take your houses as graveyards." (Bukhaaree)

Ibn al-Qayyim—May Allah have mercy on him—said in his book Zaadul-Ma'aad: And he (the Prophet) would offer all of the Sunan and the voluntary prayers at home, especially the two Rak'ats of Maghrib which he was not reported to have done in the mosque."

6. Offering the voluntary prayers on the horse back (This nowadays includes the car and all the modern means of transportations). Abdullah Ibn 'Umar would offer the voluntary prayer during travel on his horseback, wheresoever it goes, he would make a sign with his head. He (Ibn 'Umar) said that the Messenger of Allah would do the same.

http://asaala.net/viewSunnaTopics.php?sunnaTopicID=2

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
The Third Episode

The Third Episode

Here we are again dear reader; we shall deal with other three abandoned Sunan, so as you read, try to revive them at home and among your friends and relatives, and remember that you shall be rewarded upon each and every one practices the abandoned sunnah motivated by your advice.

7. Reading with Soorat al-Ikhlaas and al-Kafiroon in Sunnatul Fajr (the two rak'ahs before the dawn prayer). Aboo Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) said that:

"the Prophet would read during the two rak'ahs of Fajr with ((O Muhammad) Say O disbelievers…) and ((O Muhammad) Say He is Allah, the One…)."

8. Offering two-rak'ahs prayer by the one who returns back from a journey and before he meets his family.

Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported:

"The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) bought a camel from me. When he came back to Medina, he ordered me to come to the mosque and observed two rak'ahs of prayer."

Imaam Nawawee interpreting this hadeeth said: "this hadeeth encourages for offering two rak'ahs in the mosque immediately at arriving from a journey."

9. Offering prayers between Maghrib and 'Ishaa:

It is narrated from Hudhaifah that he said:

"I came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and offered the Maghrib prayer with him, and then he continued praying untill 'Ishaa." (Saheeh Ibn Hibbaan)

http://asaala.net/viewSunnaTopics.php?sunnaTopicID=3

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
The Fouth Episode

The Fourth EpisodeHere we are again dear reader, we shall deal with other three abandoned Sunnan. As you read try to revive them at home and among your friends and relatives, and remember that you shall be rewarded upon each and every one practices the abandoned sunnah motivated by your advice.

10. Going to bed after making the ablution:

It is narrated from Abu Hurairah that he said: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"He who goes to bed Tahiran (pure; purified from ritual impurities by means of wudu or ghusl) after making ablution, then an angel shall sleep under his quilt invoking Allah: ' O Allah, Forgive the sins of your servant so-and-so, for he slept pure.' The angle would do so at any moment the sleeping person wakes up during his sleep". ( The Hadeeth is Hasan, as-Silsilah as-Saheehah no.2539)

11. Offering prayers with one's shoes on:

This is an abandoned sunnah that can hardly be seen nowadays, and not to mention that if you see someone doing so, you might disapprove of what he did.

It was narrated from Shaddaad bin Aws that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"Act differently than the Jews for they do not offer prayers with their shoes and slippers on." (The Hadeeth is Saheeh, Saheehul-Jami' no. 3210)

In this Hadeeth, the Prophet commands his Companions and then us to offer prayers having the shoes on.

It was also narrated from Sa'eed Ibn Zaid that he said, I said to Anas Ibn Maalik: Did the Prophet offer prayers while he had his shoes on? He (Anas) said: yes. (Bukhaaree)

12. Not to offer the nafal (the voluntary prayer) after the obligatory prayer until he speaks or changes his place.

It is told from Mu'aawiyah that the Prophet (peace be upon him) ordered them not to attach a prayer to another until they speak or get out. (Reported by Muslim)

http://asaala.net/viewSunnaTopics.php?sunnaTopicID=4

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
The fifth episode

Here we are again dear reader, we shall deal with other three abandoned Sunnan, so please be mindful while you read and try to revive them at home and among your friends and relatives, and remember that you shall be rewarded upon each and every one practices the abandoned sunnah motivated by your advice.

13. Rinsing the mouth and the nose from one handful of water simultaneously (during ablution).

The proof of that is what the Bukhaari narrated from Ibn 'Abaas that he (Ibn 'Abaas) made the ablution and washed his face, then he took one handful of water and rinsed his mouth and nose with…then he mentioned the rest of the hadeeth and said: I saw the Prophet (Peace be upon him) did it this way. (Bukhaari).

Ibn al-Qayyim said that parting between them (i.e. rinsing the mouth and then the nose separately) is never proved by a single authentic hadeeth.

14. Killing the gecko:

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "He who kills a gecko from the first hit shall be rewarded with one hundred rewards, from the second hit the reward will be lesser, and from the third hit the reward will be lesser than that of the second." (Muslim)

15. Shaking off the quilt before going to bed:

It is narrated from Abu Huraira that he said that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "When one of you goes to his bed, then let him shake off his cover and say Bismillaah, for he did not know what came to his cover after he left it (in the previous morning). (Muslim).

Source : www.asaala.net

Status
Not open for further replies.