Support needed.

rsw

My name is Richard. My spiritual background is chaotic and uncharacterisable. I went to Christian schools, was raised by atheistic grandparents, mingled with new age/neopagan types, and read quite a deal about all kinds of faiths. After a long stint of total faith in reductionist materialism, my eyes were opened during a long-distance bicycle tour: from Chicago to New Orleans I rode alone. It took a month, I was very lonely, and I discovered God early on. Since then, my spirituality has developed significantly, mostly in the ascetic/mystical way. Until very recently, I was certain that God exists and he has a Plan for me, but I didn't know what it was.

A story from a Christian girl at work about a prayer that was answered inspired me to pray as well. She had questions, and after praying a random guy walked up to her and started a conversation in which he answered all of her questions by seeming coincidence. When I prayed I didn't get a tangible response the way she did, but I did recieve a bizarre and surprising knowledge: that I must convert to Islam. As I said, I have read about all kinds of faiths, but my reading on Islam has been very limited. I understand the basic premise of the faith, and some of the required duties, but I don't know any of the details of prayer and I don't know any Muslims in my local area (the nearest mosques are both quite a distance from here). I do not want to hesitate for a moment on the commands of the Divine, but I don't get the feeling like this is something that I can just dive into by myself. Since that night I have been reading more about Islam, and learning a great deal, but I can not do this alone.

Can anyone help me with this culture shock? It would be especially good if any of you live in New Orleans, or know someone who does that could assist me.

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

Hello Richard, Welcome to the site.
How are you, Insha'Allah you're keeping well.

Its nice to see your eagerness for this faith (Masha'Allah). Can i just hint, truly, Guidance comes from Allah. Consider yourself fortunate enough to have a spritual journey, as you mentioned; it is there you discovered God!

Even myself, i also have limited knowledge Richard, infact we are all learning through out our lives. From each other, our own wisdom and even at times, we learn from children......and its true. But the question lies in whether we want to accept what we are learning or simply follow our whims and desires? I pray we all have the ability to accept the Truth, Ameen.

Could i ask if you've taken your Shahadah - in a sense, are you a Muslim?

These links may be of interest to you Insha'Allah.

click below:
Explanation of the Kalimah of Tawheed
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807

On the Importance of Tawheed
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805

As for prayer...i would recommend you read a book called:
'The Prophets' Prayer Described, (from beginning to the end, as if you have seen him)' by Shaykh Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albani

It would be convenient and rewarding, if you could get in touch with your local Masjid (Mosque) or a noble brother to help you with the prayer Insha'Allah. May Allah make it easy for you Richard, Ameen.

You may also wish to see this article:

From Red to Green, this is our dream – Featuring ‘The Last Sermon of The Prophet' (peace be upon him)
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3153

Insha'Allah....may Allah guide you together with us all, Ameen...
If ALLAH puts you to it, He will put you through it Insha'Allah....have reliance on Him;
'Verily, whomsoever Allah guides, none can lead astray; but whomsoever Allah leads astray, none can ever guide!' (Al-Qur'an)

Please give us a shout should you require further assistance and if Allah permits, we'll be more than willing to help!

I leave you in Allah's Care!

alhamdulillah

Some Verses from the Qur'an...

Bismillah,

Hello there Richard once again.

You may want to read a few of these verses from the Miraculous Qur'an, just to give you a basic insight of this Religion, since Islam/the Qur'an is only proclaiming what was sent before. Prophet Muhammad :saw: was sent as the 'seal' of the Prophet hood (Subhan'Allah-Glory be to Allah)...

Allah reminds us in the Glorious Qu'ran:

'Say, [O believers]. "We have belived in Allah and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants [al-Asbat] and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him.
'(Chapter 2: Verse 136)

'Indeed, the religion in the sight of Allah is Islam. And those who were given the scripture did not differ except after knowledge had come to them-out of jealous animosity between themselves. And whoever disbelieves in the Verses of Allah, then indeed, Allah is swift in [taking] account]' (Chapter 3: Verse 19)

'...........This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favour upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion........' (Chapter 5: Verse 3)

Please feel comfortable here Richard ok....as believers, it is part of our characteristic to help one another, Insha'Allah.

I leave you in Allah's Care!

AishaR

:salam2:

Welcome Welcome Welcome to the site Richard,

Culture shock....... It isnt that bad, honest.... I have been through it & I am in one piece, lol

The hardest thing for me was telling my family, I am still dealing with that now. The reaction of some people who you thought were your friends is also something to look out for. People who you would hang out with suddenly dont want to know cause you arnt smoking or drinking anymore... there is more to life than fags & booze!!
Your eyes will hurt too, I did so much reading & research I thought I was doing to end up with square eyes. Once you start to read you get more & more hungry for information & the hours whizz by. Dont be shocked if you look at the clock & it is 3am all of a sudden......

I wish you well on your journey, there is plenty of info here that you can learn from but please feel free to ask. I asked some of the dumbest questions to begin with, so dont feel afraid to ask. You can also join the brothers section if you want brothers only to see & answer your question.

Take care & keep us posted on your journey.

Aisha

Mokat

Finding time to contemplate is at best impossible with todays living. However your journey through the wilderness alone has helped provide a new outlook to life. Didnt prophet Jesus and Muhammed peace be upon them spend time alone pondering and seeking the truth. Your spiritual awakening has come about in such an unusual manner considering your background - do you believe you would have got this far alone? Maybe the divine force has been guiding you all along. Yes you may need contact with a muslim to guide you onto the next stage. Just take the plunge - visit a mosque - see where it leads - good luck - peace be with you.

rsw

Could i ask if you've taken your Shahadah - in a sense, are you a Muslim?
I have not. The part of the two Muslim witnesses is difficult as I don't have those kinds of connections. I am certain that God is in control of the universe & all of its coincidences and phenomenon, and also certain that He intends to take care of me. He will provide a way, and I will be attentive & receptive towards the opportunities He offers.

I thank you all for your replies. I would like to visit a mosque, but I have a question regarding meeting Muslims in public. I often notice Muslim women in a cafe that I frequent, how might I approach them about Islam without offending them? I'm afraid that they might think I am trying to alienate them because of their appearance or worse.

Tahar

Welcome Richard. I will add one simple thing to what my sisters and brothers in Islam already stated, you might feel like you are facing a daunting task at first (there is much to learn.) But, believe me when I tell you that you have already gone through the hardest part. You found God. The rest will easily fall into place. I am very inspired by your story: Truely Allah guides whom he chooses.

Garnet_Stone

Welcome

Assalamu Alaikum. Welcome Richard.

I felt the same was as you do years ago when I started studying Islam. A couple of months ago, I went back to studying Islam and started practicing it this time. I was afraid years ago, afraid of what my friends might think and other things, but 2 months ago something hit me....why should I be afraid of of developing something that feels so right? Follow your heart and everything else will take care of itself.

AishaR is right. When you become a Muslim, some of your friends might stop hanging out with you because you no longer drink and do crazy things like them. In my case, when I started studying Islam, I told a few friends about it. I told them I no longer drink (Alhamdulillah :hijabi: ) and I have no desire to meet guys in clubs and stuff like that. Some of them gave me weird reaction, like a weird look on their face. Haven't heard from those people since really. lol BUT my closest friends, they never abandoned me. In fact, I asked one of them, "What would you do if I convert?" She told me, "I'll support you all the way." I almost cried. You will find out your real friends when you tell them how you really feel spiritually.

rsw

I'm not concerned about damaging relationships. Any friend or relative who would abandon me because of Islam would probably abandon me for lesser reasons -- God is greater than that.

I would like to express that I am absolutely overtaken by the Quran. In the past few days I have read about the Book and its history (and have begun to read the Book itself) and can't fathom how anybody could deny the truth of it. Two sources: the submission.info website, and a book called "The Bible, The Quran, and Science" check the Quran against numerology and against scientific & historical knowledge. One removed any doubts I had about the authorship of the Quran, the other confirmed the conclusions of the first with a completely different approach. This cements my original conviction to become a Muslim -- nothing is left to doubt. Praise God.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2: rsw
Alhamduillah, all praises be to Allah. He has shown you the truth in Islam.

Now, if you are certain that Islam is the truth, please do not delay in saying this:

ASH-HADU AN LA ILAHA ILLALLAHU, WA ASH-HADU ANNA MUHAMMADAN ABDUHU WA RASULAH

Translation: I testify that there is no god but Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger

If you say this, then you are a Muslim. No strings attached :D

Not sure if you already knew that, but it's just a review if you did.

All praise be to Allah for He has guided you to the truth. I will make Du'a (supplication) for you to say this and believe this with an unshakeable faith.

Please also visit http://www.islamtomorrow.com - It's a good website about Islam. If you don't have a physical copy of the Noble Qur'an (that is, if you only have a computer version), then go to http://freequran.org and go to the "New Muslim" link. Not only will you recieve a Qur'an (Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation), but you will also recieve many Dawah (preaching) books.
:wasalam:

szh

Assalamu Alaikum

Assalamu Alaikum WRWB,

Thats a great news that you have converted to Islam with the grace of Allah.

I stayed in Louisiana for more than 3 years. There are few Islamic centers in that state I am quite aware which provide great information. The one I usually visit is ICNL (Islamic center of North Louisiana) located in town called Ruston. It is quite near to the university and there is a Muslim Student Association which is very active. They'll certainly think that its a great opportunity to educate the new Muslims.

http://iso.latech.edu/msa/

203 Sout Homer St
Ruston, LA 71270
Phone: (318) 255-6902
Fax: (318) 255-0672

There are others in Monroe and alexandria LA. If you need more information please let me know.

May Allah project all of us.

Fi Amanullah.

Tahar

I am overjoyed for your sake Richard. Allaho-akbar (God is great.) Wa-liallahi-alhamd (and praise be to God.) He truly guides whom he wishes. You are a very bright person and will be a great addition to the Islamic Ummah. May Allah guide others at your hands. Welcome brother.

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

Welcome! I also came from a Christian background, both parents weren't exactly good religious role models and spent quite a large amount of time in neo-pagan religions. I think you will enjoy it here very much.

Read the Qur'an from cover to cover... it truely is amazing even if you have the English translation. The one translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali is outstanding with all the commentaries that help explain the symbolism and history behind the passages. I know I couldn't put it down when I started reading it. Please feel free to ask any and all questions!!

:wasalam:

msameer

Dear Richard,

There are a couple of things that you should do.

1. Get hold of a reliable translation of the Quran. ( Preferably one translated by a Muslim. )

2. Read some good introductory books on Islam. Send an email to my address (sottai369***********) and I will try to send you PDFs of the above. Or PM me your email address and I will send these to you.

msameer

I think personal email addresses are not allowed here so please PM me your email address and I will Insha Allah send you the PDFs.

shadykan

Mashallah Brother

Keep faith, Allah will guide you!!!

I didn't through cultural shock, as i'm a born muslim, but i can imagine how difficult it is, but the more difficult it is, the more benefits you'll get!!!

May Allah help you, Inshallah