taking advantage of " halal "?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i found this article tonight and i thought it was interesting. i have often wondered why halal cost more than non halal. i have also seen the word halal being used for almost everything. gas stations, laundromats, even vegetables. i don't even think there are haram vegetables. but anyway, here's the article, please let me know if you find this article to be accurate.

Halal Or Not Halal
From The Arab Voice

Meat considered to be holy to Muslims is sold at higher prices at Arab and Muslim stores than the same meat available at American stores. Are Muslims being taken advantage of by members of their own community?

A Muslim feels better when he eats Halal meat. And he gets irritated when he pays double for that meat compared to what he can get from American stores, because he has to believe the vendors without really knowing where the meat comes from.

Over the past few years, capital investors have seen the Halal meat business as an opportunity to generate big profits, so they have opened stores, where the word "Halal" is written in beautiful Arabic letters. But following our investigation, we found out that American companies are selling meat to these stores, which makes us conclude that the meat in question is not in fact Halal. These stores are everywhere; even Americans are realizing the profits to be made, so they have opened stores to sell meat and then write in Arabic the word "Halal".

I am not saying all the meat that Muslims eat is not Halal, but it appears as though most of these stores are engaging in dubious activities by providing American meat.

There are two Halal butchers in Jersey City, New Jersey, and based on our investigation, each one’s daily production was discovered: the first one slaughters thirty to forty animals, and the second, which has less capacity, slaughters around twenty. That means the total number of butchered animals in these two places reaches an average of sixty each day. If the meat is distributed to the three hundred Arab stores that sell Halal meat in New Jersey (or at least in places where Muslim and Arab people live), each store can only have 3 kilos (6.5 pounds) of this meat. Thus, these stores are getting half of a slaughtered animal from the two butchers, and then proceed to sell two to three animals. So, where did the rest come from?

Logically, it appears as though the owners of these stores are swindling Muslims in the area, especially armed with the knowledge that most of the meat comes from Argentina and Latin America. And there is a certificate given to the importer saying that Sheik "X" from the Saudi embassy or other embassies prayed on this meat to make it "Halal". But who is this sheik exactly? His name has been used as a lie to sell the Muslim community this meat.

This article’s objective is not to shut down any businesses, but rather place the issue under closer examination, drawing attention to the fact that the Arab and Islamic community is being taken advantage of. We are also not asking people to boycott these stores, but rather attempting to differentiate between two things: If one wishes to buy the American meat from a supermarket, and one finds that this meat is well cleaned and covered properly, then one should do so. But if one wishes to get the Halal meat from an Arab store, one has to buy it with its fat, bones, and expensive price, which can end up being twice as much as the American meat, even though the source may be the same. I am not saying that all the Halal stores oblige one to buy the meat without cleaning it. On the contrary, they provide the meat that one asks for, but they raise the price and one has to accept it.

The price of one pound of Halal meat can reach $4.5 dollars, while regular meat is sold at $2 dollars in American store. This means that one is paying twice for the same meat, which according to our investigation lets us know that these profits go directly to the pockets of greedy Arab and Muslim stores owners.

Translated from Arabic by Elias Saber

:wasalam:

Quratulaine

i always have wondered where stores get their "halal" label. i almost never buy meat, since i live in an area where there aren't many muslims, so the meat, (whether it's halal or not) probably sits around all week.

how does one know if it's really halal? what about the companies that sell pre-packaged halal meat for example...is that more trustworthy because it comes from a bigger company so they have higher certification standards?

and...is this article justified as to suggest buying meat from the grocery store??

esterelle

In Australia Certificates are issued to buisnessess who provide halal meats as well as take away food resraunts who only use halal products. These certificates are given by Islamic organisations after testing the food. These certificates are designed in such a way to make them, impossible to photocopy.

It is the only way to be assured that a product is halal.

Almeftah

Meat is not holy, Its all about Halal.

Seeking Halal in everything is away to please Allah, Like Halal meat, halal Income, Halal drinks,etc.

O you who believe! Make not unlawful the Tayyibât (all that is good as regards foods, things, deeds, beliefs, persons) which Allâh has made lawful to you, and transgress not. Verily, Allâh does not like the transgressors. (87) And eat of the things which Allâh has provided for you, lawful and good, and fear Allâh in Whom you believe. (88) [Quran, Al-Maeda 5]

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: interesting topic, thank you brother in new jersey :) when i lived in nyc a long time ago, the halal butchers in queens were dirty :astag: and the prices were much higher than meat in "regular" butchers/supermarkets. we went to the big mosque in manhattan and my husband put our dilemma to the imam... he said that if the meat was more expensive in the halal store, that we could buy our meat at the "regular" store and just say "bismillah" before we ate it.... several years later, in florida, i had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Chaudry of the IFCNA (islamic food and nutritional council of america). i told him about this and asked his advice... he told me there were two schools of thought..... those that will only eat meat that has been slaughtered in an islamic manner with "bismillah" pronounced over it at the time of slaughtering and those who believe it is okay to say "bismillah" over meat not slaughtered in this way, while preparing the food or before eating.... i noticed many of my friends from egypt and palestine did this. however, Dr. Chaudry would not advocate the second option. he is a nice and humble man but told me he would only eat halal meat :) we had to travel a little to find halal butchers in florida but Alhamdulillah, i am only talking 30 minutes by car! in paris, there are lots of halal butchers and the regular supermarket has a small halal meat section (however, the latter doesn't have much there considering the muslim population in the area is probably 25 - 30%). i think it is best to try to buy halal meat and if it is not really halal but is marked as such, then we cannot bear the responsibility of someone else's devious actions but it is our intention to eat only what ALLAH has prescribed for us :)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2: interesting topic, thank you brother in new jersey :) when i lived in nyc a long time ago, the halal butchers in queens were dirty :astag: and the prices were much higher than meat in "regular" butchers/supermarkets. we went to the big mosque in manhattan and my husband put our dilemma to the imam... he said that if the meat was more expensive in the halal store, that we could buy our meat at the "regular" store and just say "bismillah" before we ate it.... several years later, in florida, i had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Chaudry of the IFCNA (islamic food and nutritional council of america). i told him about this and asked his advice... he told me there were two schools of thought..... those that will only eat meat that has been slaughtered in an islamic manner with "bismillah" pronounced over it at the time of slaughtering and those who believe it is okay to say "bismillah" over meat not slaughtered in this way, while preparing the food or before eating.... i noticed many of my friends from egypt and palestine did this. however, Dr. Chaudry would not advocate the second option. he is a nice and humble man but told me he would only eat halal meat :) we had to travel a little to find halal butchers in florida but Alhamdulillah, i am only talking 30 minutes by car! in paris, there are lots of halal butchers and the regular supermarket has a small halal meat section (however, the latter doesn't have much there considering the muslim population in the area is probably 25 - 30%). i think it is best to try to buy halal meat and if it is not really halal but is marked as such, then we cannot bear the responsibility of someone else's devious actions but it is our intention to eat only what ALLAH has prescribed for us :)

when i read this it reminded me of a few muslims that i know, that aren't really serious in their deen, but they follow halal food laws to the letter. i mean, they don't pray, attend jummah or the masjid at all, none of the obligations are followed. but they'll never break the food laws. i've always wanted to tell them how foolish they were, to think that keeping a halal diet only would be their ticket to jannah.

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

In all, it is your trust and faith in the person/people saying it is halal that is most important. No one can know 100% if a food is killed in a halal manner unless they do it themselves. If a company has a certificate, then are they actually watching/listening to each person kill the animal? A person could be having a bad day or get distracted and goof up. So we TRUST that when a food is marked Halal, that it actually IS halal.

I guess in the end, do you TRUST your butcher/meat shop? That is the most important thing. As to why it is more expensive, it probably takes more man-power to make sure things are done correctly - more man-power = more cost.

Lana

Mixedup

Assalam aliekum

In the UK where I live I find halal meat cheaper than the supermarkets so its pretty good really.
All halal meat has to be slaughtered at the slaughter house and not within the butchers itself as in the Uk thats illegal !!!
I buy from the local butcher who I trust and as he is a true muslim I feel he would not lapse when slaugtering the produce.
My partner explained to me that if you take halal meat on the basis that you have been told it is halal (without obvious doubts) then that is ok.
I have also read that ALLAH permits you to eat jewish food (kosha) if their is no halal food available personally I'd rather eat veg than that but it is an option in extreme circumstances.
If butchers are ripping off Muslims then our only upside is that on the day of judgement thay will be made to answer!!!!

saif

when i read this it reminded me of a few muslims that i know, that aren't really serious in their deen, but they follow halal food laws to the letter. i mean, they don't pray, attend jummah or the masjid at all, none of the obligations are followed. but they'll never break the food laws. i've always wanted to tell them how foolish they were, to think that keeping a halal diet only would be their ticket to jannah.

It may be that they over-estimate the importance of halaal and haraam to the extent, that they forget their other duties. However, there is absolutely no reason to underestimate the same. What else is Islam all about?

It will go slightly off the topic but the brothers and sisters, who are interested in the literature would find the wikipedia entry of this urdu novel written by Bano Qudsiya extremly interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja_Gidh

The urdu-knowers shouldn't miss reading it. It is a novel written on the concept of halaal and haraam in Islam. It is a beautiful example of the literature inspired by Islam. I hope, one day it will be translated in English.

cmelbouzaidi

i know what you mean. i had a friend who would never consume non halal meat or alcohol but that was the extend of as far as anything "islamic" went for that person.

May Allah guide us all on the straight path.