Talaq and Stock Markets

msrebgui

:salam2:

My husband and I have had lots of problems in our marriage. We have been married for 6 yrs now, over the course of our marriage he has given me talaq on many occasions. Once he said it 3 times in a row(which I know is bidah). I went to see an Imam about this and he told me that it is not halal for me to live with him as he has given me talaq and we are no longer married. I have read before on Islamq&a.com that if he said it out of anger not realizing that he said it then it is not counted. I asked my husband if he didn't realize he was saying it and he said yes he didn't realize it just came out. The imam went on to say you cannot play around with the reliigion and throw out talaqs and take them back its like if you load a gun and shoot it off you can't put the bullets back in. He also said the man is only going to say talaq in times of anger never in good times. My question is am I divorced? Should I listen to what the imam has said? I am a reverted Muslimah and trying my best to follow Islam correctly InshAllah.

My next question is regarding stocks, are they Halal? Not currency trading.

JakakAllahu Khairan in advance.

tabaria

About the stocks it varies. If the company sells haram things than no. So banks, wineries, stuff like that are not allowed to be invested in. Also if the company has a huge amount of debt and alot of its money goes towards paying interest avoid. Also if they produce weapons they have to be avoided.

However now a days you have lots of options. Many banks are coming out with halal investment products. And you can buy into foreign markets such as malaysia's through ETFs. What country do you live in?
:wasalam:

tabaria

I live in the USA. JakakAllahu Khairan for both of the replies.

If you live in the US, i believe both Citi and deutches have some halal mutual funds. Also take a look at ETFs that invest in places like malaysia. They're listed on NYSE so its not like you have to worry about the dollar. LOL you may in fact want to buy some CDN dollars. And buy some energy companies. Also i'm sure there are some people down there who specialize in this thing.
:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member

You've said you were on Islam Q-A ... Here's another answer from them. After this, I cannot say, perhaps you BOTH should go together to see that or another Imam and get straighted your positions.

Talaq in Anger

Question:
I would like to ask you about an incident happened 4 days ago to my muslim brother. He said to his wife that, he is giving her three talak at once and sweared after that. But after couple of hours he regret for saying that, and also claiming he was angry at the moment he was talking to his wife. So sheikh my brother wants to know if is he allowed to go back to his wife because it is its first time to say that or is not allowed? according to islamic sheria. I would like some qoutations on your decision because I heard different views from people but with no evidence from the sharia.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Anger is of three types:

1 – when anger is so intense that are person is no longer aware of what he is doing or saying, and becomes like one who is insane or mad. In this case the talaaq (divorce) does not count, according to all the scholars, because he is like one who is insane and mad, who has lost all power of reason.

2 – when his anger is intense but he understands what he is saying and doing, but his anger is intense and he cannot control himself because the argument trading of insults or fighting has gone on too long, so his anger may be intense because of that. In this case there is a difference of opinion among the scholars, but the most correct view is that divorce does not count in this case either, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no divorce and no freeing of slaves when it is done by force or in a state of intense anger.” (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2046; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Irwa’, 2047)

3 – mild anger, which is what happens when the husband is upset with his wife, or he is disappointed about something that his wife has done, but it is not so intense that it makes him lose his power of reasoning or self-control. Rather it is the ordinary kind of anger and is mild. In this case the divorce is valid according to the all the scholars.

This is the correct answer regarding divorce uttered in anger, as was stated by Ibn Taymiyah and Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on them.

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad.

Fataawa al-Talaaq by Shaykh Ibn Baaz, pp. 15-27

You could also advice him kindly on the tips on what to do in state of anger.

As long as other things.

As for stock sis... if you can aquire loss, I think, though not postitive insha'allah will look up on it, if you can gain loss through these then i think it is allowed. Allahu 'Alem

wasalam