Taliban Raid Sets Hundreds Of Senior And Low Level Fighters Free

MOSABJA

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Taliban militants staged a brazen bomb and rocket attack on the main prison in southern Afghanistan today, blowing down the gate and helping hundreds of suspected insurgents flee, officials said. Many police officers were reported killed.

An estimated of 1300 Prisoners have escaped .Many of whom are Taliban.

The complex attack included a truck bombing at the main gate, a suicide bomber who struck a back wall and rockets fired from outside, setting of a series of explosions that rattled Kandahar, the coun:):Dtry's second biggest city.

A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousef Ahmadi, said 30 insurgents on motorbikes and two suicide bombers attacked Sarposa Prison and freed about 400 Taliban members.

Abdul Qabir, chief of the Sarposa Prison, also said hundreds of prisoners escaped, but did not provide an exact figure. He said some inmates stayed at the jail, which also held criminals.

Wali Karzai, the brother of President Hamid Karzai who is president of Kandahar's provincial council, said the prison held about 350 suspected Taliban fighters.

He said "all" the prisoners escaped, but also had no specific number. "There is no one left," he said.

Kandahar was the Taliban's former stronghold and its province has been the scene of fierce fighting the past two years between insurgents and NATO troops, primarily from Canada and the United States.

The prison attack came just a few hours after Defense Secretary Robert Gates told his counterparts in Europe that NATO members need to bolster their military effort in Afghanistan, where violence has been escalating.

Dramatizing his report, Gates said that for the first time, American and allied combat deaths in Afghanistan last month had exceeded the toll in Iraq.

Qabir, the prison warden, said the assault began when a tanker truck full of explosives detonated at the prison's main entrance, wrecking the gate and a police post, killing all the officers inside. He couldn't say how many police were killed.

Shortly after that, a suicide bomber on foot blasted a hole in the back of the prison, Qabir said.

Witnesses reported that rockets were also fired at the prison during a 30-minute battle that began around 9:30 p.m.

A shopkeeper who sells vegetables near the prison, Mohammad Hiqmatullah, said he saw prisoners run out and disappear into nearby pomegranate and grape groves.

Ahmadi, the Taliban spokesman, said militants had been planning the assault for two months. "Today we succeeded," he said, adding that the escaped prisoners were "going to their homes."

Officials with NATO's International Security Assistance Force said they were aware of the attack but didn't yet have any details.

Last month, some 200 Taliban suspects at the prison ended a weeklong hunger strike after a parliamentary delegation promised that their cases would be reviewed.

Lawmaker Habibullah Jan said 47 of the prisoners had stitched their mouths shut during the hunger strike in May. He said some of the hunger strikers had been held without trial for more than two years and others were given lengthy prison sentences after short trials.

Earlier today, the separate U.S.-led military coalition said airstrikes were called in to support ground troops fighting insurgents in two Afghan provinces Thursday, killing more than 17 militants and a female civilian.

Separately, Afghan police said a Romanian soldier died in a Taliban rocket attack on the country's main highway. NATO confirmed the death of one of its soldiers, but declined to release the nationality.

the same day a Suicide bomber struck a Nato convoy on Jalalabad Highway killing 9 NATO troops

earlier a day before Taliban had claimed shooting 20 paratroopers .Where as British Defense Minister only verified 3.

earlier reports suggested that US might be suffering more casualties in Afghanistan in Iraq.
Iraqi Insurgents have claimed that US is showing only 15=20 % of actual casualties.
Similar claims have been made by Taliban.

MOSABJA

Thats what we call Allah's Help.

looks like a Comic:lol:..Involving suicide bombers breaking walls and Check posts of jails and then rocket bombardment and then 30 Motorcyclists break through jail protected by hundreds of Police officers and then freeing 1300 members.
Some thing that shows how brave taliban are and Allah's help on the way you can break in a Prison guarded by hundreds of Police officers with only 30 fighters 3or 4 Fidayeen and free your 1300 pals.

let them pay the holy price of attacking Afghanistan and killing Pakistani soldiers.

Two or three more Jail breaks like that and US will forget Discretion of Holy Quran and torturing our brothers in Prisons.

Looks like movement in Afghnistan has become hot after the Attack on Pakistani soldiers and civilians ... first 5 British troops killed, then the attack on the prision releasing hundereds of Taliban and now attack killin 4 US troops ....
Yesterday they said that we doubt Pakistans intentions.

Noor_Al-Ain

SolideresS Of Allah
I dunno wha' 2 say...

May Allah reward them for standing up 4 themselves but is it Halal to stitch your mouth up...?! Maybe 4 the sake of Allah...

"Two or three more Jail breaks like that and US will forget Discretion of Holy Quran and torturing our brothers in Prisons." :inshallah:

:jazaak:

:subhanallah:

:allahuakbar:

:salam2:

bilalswife1983

Thats what we call Allah's Help.

looks like a Comic:lol:..Involving suicide bombers breaking walls and Check posts of jails and then rocket bombardment and then 30 Motorcyclists break through jail protected by hundreds of Police officers and then freeing 1300 members.

LOL! That's what I was thinking, this is like something right out of a movie. Attacks coming from all sides, freeing everyone inside, the authorities don't even have enough time to figure out what's going on.....they should really use it in a movie someday. It would provide good entertainment!

He said some inmates stayed at the jail, which also held criminals.

"Which ALSO held criminals"? Shouldn't ONLY CRIMINALS be in jail? So what would the other inmates be called if they are not criminals? I would say innocent until proven guilty, which is supposed to be the U.S. way of doing things but we all know that's not really how it works. I guess they would be called suspects but those suspects should be given the right to a fair and speedy trial, not sitting in prison without a conviction for two years.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. I certainly don't condone all the violence and killings going on from either side. I think it's awful and wish it would all stop.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
"Which ALSO held criminals"? Shouldn't ONLY CRIMINALS be in jail? So what would the other inmates be called if they are not criminals? I would say innocent until proven guilty, which is supposed to be the U.S. way of doing

I guess he is being honest...May be referring to the criminal guards D)

Shahzad

thats wat is called a "planned attack". I liked the planning . That was the only way to distract teh security of prison.

Time now to kick USA from Afghanistan at least. Iraq will be next.
I think USA is going to be next USSR i.e. hasving too much weapons but no economy