Taraweeh Annoyance

Maha*

Asalamu alaikom,

For the last few days I've been going taraweeh, I've noticed a couple of things that bothered me so much I couldn't focus on my paryer. So I was wondering whether what these sisters are doing are right or not.

First, in sujood, there was one woman who was talking out so loud to God in her duas I could hear everything she was asking from Him. My opinion is that this is something personal and I shouldn't hear it.

Second, in shafa and watr, when the sheikh is supplicating, the same woman would wait for him to say the first part of the dua then when she knew what the dua was, she would carry on saying the rest in such a loud voice again. Honestly, if I was not even praying next to her, I would hear her.

Third, another woman praying next to me was revising the surahs the sheikh was reciting. Again, it was like I was listening to her and not the Imam.

So I guess since I was always brought up against speaking in a loud voice while praying behind an Imam, I think it's wrong. Correct me if that's not the case though, and please provide me with any reference from hadith or anything else so next time I could advise them.

Jazakallah khairan, wasalam.

Phoyage

Salam Alykiom,
To your questions I'm not really sure but i also want to add a question.
Is it ok to mouth the surats the imam is reading... Since my memorizing of the quran is kinda pitiful ( Pray for me ) whenever he says a surat I know I get kinda excited and start mouthing it after him trying to perfect it. No sound can be heard so I'm not really sure?

Maha*

Salam Alykiom,
To your questions I'm not really sure but i also want to add a question.
Is it ok to mouth the surats the imam is reading... Since my memorizing of the quran is kinda pitiful ( Pray for me ) whenever he says a surat I know I get kinda excited and start mouthing it after him trying to perfect it. No sound can be heard so I'm not really sure?

Walaikom el salam,

Yes, I also had this question. Thanks for adding. :) But this doesn't bother me anyhow..just the loud voices and whispers.

Anyone know?

soulzcore

Abd-Allah !!
Asalamu alaikom,

So I guess since I was always brought up against speaking in a loud voice while praying behind an Imam, I think it's wrong. Correct me if that's not the case though, and please provide me with any reference from hadith or anything else so next time I could advise them.

Jazakallah khairan, wasalam.

:salam2:

I can feel u sister.. I have been in instances whn i was actually listening to ppl's conversations while I was prayer.. :astag:

As for your question, ppl following the Imam shouldnt recite with him in a loud voice..
I found this Hadith handy.

Narrated by Rifaa’ah ibn Raafi’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I prayed behind the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and I sneezed and said: Praise be to Allaah, much good and blessed praise, as our Lord loves and is pleased with. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had finished praying he said: “Who is the one who spoke during the prayer?” and no one said anything. Then he said it a second time, “Who is the one who spoke during the prayer?” and no one said anything. Then he said it a third time, “Who is the one who spoke during the prayer?” and Rifaa’ah ibn Raafi’ said: It was me, O Messenger of Allaah. He said: “What did you say?” He said: I said: Praise be to Allaah, much good and blessed praise, as our Lord loves and is pleased with. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, thirty-odd angels competed to see which of them would take it up.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood and al-Nasaa’i. Al-Tirmidhi said: a hasan hadeeth. Al-Haafiz narrated in al-Tahdheeb from al-Tirmidhi that it is saheeh.

This actually proves that its forbidden to speak during prayer.

Correct me if i am wrong..

And getting a chance to hear someone else's dua, that could get funny sometimes :p

Jazakumullah Khair!!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
^ thirty odd angels competed to take it up? Meaning, to take the dua up to the Heavens? But then that encourages speaking during prayer. Could someone please explain?

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

This lady should not do that.

With regard to the person who is praying behind the imaam, the Sunnah is for him to say the Takbeer quietly so that only he himself can hear it. This also applies to his recitation of Qur’aan, Takbeeraat, saying Tasbeeh in Rukoo’ etc., the Tashahhud, the Salaam and the du’aa’, whether these words are waajib (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory). It is not Mustahabb to make it louder than that except where there is a need to help others who cannot hear the imaam, in which case he should make it louder.

From IslamQA

soulzcore

Abd-Allah !!
^ thirty odd angels competed to take it up? Meaning, to take the dua up to the Heavens? But then that encourages speaking during prayer. Could someone please explain?

Thats only coz Rifaah bin Rafi (RA) sneezed and then said Alhamdulillah. If it was encouraged to speak during prayer, Rifaah bin Rafi would not have hesitated to claim that it was he who sneezed and said Alhamdulillah, nor would have Muhammed (SAWS) asked "WHo spoke during prayer?".

Correct me if I am wrong..

Jazakumullah Khair..

q8penpals

Salam

Perhaps the woman was so engrossed in her prayers and so desperate for her dua's, that she didn't realize that she was being too loud.

Shouldn't we always assume the best in people whenever we can?

Asiya-sparkles

Salam

Perhaps the woman was so engrossed in her prayers and so desperate for her dua's, that she didn't realize that she was being too loud.

Alhamdulillah for this!

I do not know the name of the sahabah, but remember hearing about one who continued to pray though the masjid fell around him! SUBHAN ALLAH WHEN COMMENDED UPON HIS BRAVERY HE RESPONDED THAT HIS FOCUS IN SALAH HAD BEEN SUCH THAT HE DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE. :)

We should have 70 reasons to overlook, it is perfectly okay for our mouths to move in taraweeh and isn't actually a salah like juma'ah, it can be prayed in the home so there is no need to be distracted or miss the blessings and Allah knows best.

Maha*

Jazakallah khairan for all your replies. :)

Salam

Not really, sister. I can be engrossed in prayer and yet not utter a word because I know that's what I should do and I know if I speak out loud, I would distract the ones around me. So one can be engrossed in prayer yet still be silent, no excuse really. And besides, every time I've been there to the masjid for the last week and when she was there, she was doing the same. I said maybe it would just be for one day, but that went on and on for the whole week, so no..

sayedahash said:
I can understand your annoyance sister. By the way you have a really pretty name. Maha is my 1 year old daughters name

Jazakallah khairan for your kind words and understanding. May Allah bless your little Maha. :hearts: