Tattoos Haram in Islam

dianne

Bismillahi rahmanirahim,
Assalamu alaikum brother & sister,

Tattooing, in which the skin is pierced with a needle and a blue or other coloured dye is injected, is haram in all forms, whether it causes pain or not, because it involves changing the creation of Allah, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos and the one for whom that is done. In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allah ibn Mas’ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “May Allah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538).

With regard to all these matters, the ahaadeeth testify that the one who does them is cursed and that they are major sins. There is some difference of scholarly opinion as to the reason why they are forbidden. It was said that it is because they are a form of deception, and it was said that it is because it is a way of changing the creation of Allah, as Ibn Mas’ood said – which is more correct and also includes the first meaning. And it was suggested that what is forbidden is only that which is permanent, because that is changing the creation of Allah; as for that which is not permanent, such as kohl which used for adornment by women, that is permitted by the scholars. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/393).

So if what is referred to in the question is that which is not permanent, then it is not a tattoo as such and does not change the creation of Allah swt.When we die we will meet God as clean as when we were born.

gabrielle

Salaam, I am glad I read your thread. I would like to convert to muslim one day, but I have tattoos. I know this is a major sinbut , what can I do? Will I ever be accepted????

falomar

Salaam, I am glad I read your thread. I would like to convert to muslim one day, but I have tattoos. I know this is a major sinbut , what can I do? Will I ever be accepted????

I have the same question because I also have a tattoo, one only, it's not that large, not small either and it can't be seen unless I don't wear a Tshirt....I'm not planing to have another one, and that belong to the past....can I also be accepted?

abou haytam

I have the same question because I also have a tattoo, one only, it's not that large, not small either and it can't be seen unless I don't wear a Tshirt....I'm not planing to have another one, and that belong to the past....can I also be accepted?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

She had a tattoo done before she became Muslim. Is she cursed?

Question:
Before I converted to Islam, I got tatooed. I have recently read about a tatooed women being a cursed woman.
Does this apply to me as well? If I become engaged, should I tell my husband about this before hand, in case he does not want to become engaged to a "cursed woman"?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim must realize that Islam erases any sins that came before it, and indeed Allaah changes them into good deeds, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:70]

It was narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may give you my oath of allegiance.” So he held out his hand, but I held my hand back. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to make a condition.” He said, “What is your condition?” I said, “That I be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam wipes out whatever came before it, and that hijrah (migration for the sake of Allaah) wipes out whatever came before it, and that Hajj wipes out whatever came before it?”

(Narrated by Muslim, 121).

This hadeeth indicates that whoever becomes Muslim is forgiven for all the bad deeds that he may have done before he became a Muslim.

Secondly:

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that tattooing is haraam (forbidden).

It was narrated that Abu Juhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos, the one who has a tattoo done, the one who consumes riba (usury or interest) and the one who pays it, and he forbade the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and he cursed the image-makers.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5032).

Tattooing is a major sin, but if a person repents from it, Allaah will accept his repentance.

Thirdly:

Modern medicine is able to remove tattoos; the remedy exists so you can easily get rid of it, in sha Allah.

Fourthly:

The curse of the woman who does tattoos is not permanent; rather when a person repents from it, that curse is lifted. So it is a mistake for you to say that you are a cursed woman. Rather we ask Allaah to make you good and righteous.

Fifthly:

Undoubtedly the one who wants to marry you will understand this issue, especially that it was before you became Muslim. Even if it was after you became Muslim, so long as the Muslim has repented from it, he cannot be blamed or called to account for it, rather his bad deeds are changed into good deeds.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Repentance wipes out whatever (sins) came before it. So long as you have repented sincerely – al-hamdu Lillaah – and you are doing the duties enjoined upon you by Allaah and avoiding what He has forbidden, then Allaah will forgive whatever came before that repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins” [al-Zumar 39:53] – even shirk, if the person who committed shirk then repents from it to Allaah, He will accept his repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven” [al-Anfaal 8:38]. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam wipes away whatever (sins) came before it, and repentance wipes away whatever (sins) came before it.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/204). If you have repented sincerely and you do what Allaah has enjoined upon you and avoid that which He has forbidden, this will be sufficient in sha Allaah for your past sins to be forgiven, but you must good deeds in the future, and keep on repenting and obeying the Islamic commandments which Allaah has enjoined upon you.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=7969&ln=eng&txt=أسرفو

you can see this link too about repentence in islam

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=14289&ln=eng&txt=أسرفو

PS : we are still waiting for you gabrielle and flomar to join us incha allah. ;) take your time to understand well islam. in the qoran allah recommand us to use our mind to find him.

falomar

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

She had a tattoo done before she became Muslim. Is she cursed?

Question:
Before I converted to Islam, I got tatooed. I have recently read about a tatooed women being a cursed woman.
Does this apply to me as well? If I become engaged, should I tell my husband about this before hand, in case he does not want to become engaged to a "cursed woman"?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim must realize that Islam erases any sins that came before it, and indeed Allaah changes them into good deeds, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:70]

It was narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may give you my oath of allegiance.” So he held out his hand, but I held my hand back. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to make a condition.” He said, “What is your condition?” I said, “That I be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam wipes out whatever came before it, and that hijrah (migration for the sake of Allaah) wipes out whatever came before it, and that Hajj wipes out whatever came before it?”

(Narrated by Muslim, 121).

This hadeeth indicates that whoever becomes Muslim is forgiven for all the bad deeds that he may have done before he became a Muslim.

Secondly:

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that tattooing is haraam (forbidden).

It was narrated that Abu Juhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos, the one who has a tattoo done, the one who consumes riba (usury or interest) and the one who pays it, and he forbade the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and he cursed the image-makers.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5032).

Tattooing is a major sin, but if a person repents from it, Allaah will accept his repentance.

Thirdly:

Modern medicine is able to remove tattoos; the remedy exists so you can easily get rid of it, in sha Allah.

Fourthly:

The curse of the woman who does tattoos is not permanent; rather when a person repents from it, that curse is lifted. So it is a mistake for you to say that you are a cursed woman. Rather we ask Allaah to make you good and righteous.

Fifthly:

Undoubtedly the one who wants to marry you will understand this issue, especially that it was before you became Muslim. Even if it was after you became Muslim, so long as the Muslim has repented from it, he cannot be blamed or called to account for it, rather his bad deeds are changed into good deeds.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Repentance wipes out whatever (sins) came before it. So long as you have repented sincerely – al-hamdu Lillaah – and you are doing the duties enjoined upon you by Allaah and avoiding what He has forbidden, then Allaah will forgive whatever came before that repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins” [al-Zumar 39:53] – even shirk, if the person who committed shirk then repents from it to Allaah, He will accept his repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven” [al-Anfaal 8:38]. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam wipes away whatever (sins) came before it, and repentance wipes away whatever (sins) came before it.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/204). If you have repented sincerely and you do what Allaah has enjoined upon you and avoid that which He has forbidden, this will be sufficient in sha Allaah for your past sins to be forgiven, but you must good deeds in the future, and keep on repenting and obeying the Islamic commandments which Allaah has enjoined upon you.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=7969&ln=eng&txt=أسرفو

you can see this link too about repentence in islam

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=14289&ln=eng&txt=أسرفو

PS : we are still waiting for you gabrielle and flomar to join us incha allah. ;) take your time to understand well islam. in the qoran allah recommand us to use our mind to find him.

THANK YOU for the reply and the info....I feel better now..:SMILY288:

dianne

Salam,
brother Gabrielle-
Of course it will be accepted,bcoz u had a tatoo before u convert to muslim,
In short, a new Muslim convert cannot be casted out of Islam, after recently embracing it, for having no means to remove tattoos applied during his pre-Islamic life.

Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

“First of all, I would like to stress the fact that it is haram to have tattoos on the body. However, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Islam takes away the sins done before it.”

Thus, if these tattoos cannot be removed easily or if you have to spend a lot of money to remove them, then you should not worry about them.

Wassalam,May Allah guide u in the right path.

dianne

[QUOTE=abou haytam;97358

Salam brother,

I was about to reply just now.lol thanks for helping them,May Allah swt Grant you,insyaallah!

Wassalam.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i have also heard that there is an alternative to the often painful and expensive tattoo removal. it is by tattooing over the original tattoo by matching the owners skin type. so if you are brown skinned you would be tattooed in a similar complexion, giving it the appearance that there was no tattoo.

:wasalam:

dianne

i have also heard that there is an alternative to the often painful and expensive tattoo removal. it is by tattooing over the original tattoo by matching the owners skin type. so if you are brown skinned you would be tattooed in a similar complexion, giving it the appearance that there was no tattoo.

Salam brother,
u mean they remove it by a laser alternative? from a pro doctor?i heard of it,but its expensive i guess.

dianne

Some tattoos can be reversed, I understand. And the skin is shed and renewed everyday, so it is possible that a skin can look and feel like it was never tattooed. Look into this but always be careful to have the tattoo reversal done by reputable professionals.

Salam brother ayman,
remove it must be pain huh? i juz cant imagined,i think peirce is better than tatoos.lol

i got a question no offence but wat if a woman has a unibrow is it still haraam to pluck them for beutification....jz a question....dont take t hard..ciao

dianne

i got a question no offence but wat if a woman has a unibrow is it still haraam to pluck them for beutification....jz a question....dont take t hard..ciao

Salam,
No, it is not permissible for females to pluck their eyebrows. Rasulullah
pbuh cursed a Mutanammisa (a female who seeks to
remove her eyebrows).

Mullah Ali Qari (R.A) has commentated that plucking of the facial hair is haraam (prohibited) for a woman with the exception of moustache or beard hairs, if any woman is unfortunate enough to be troubled by these.refer-Mirqaat Vol.8 Pg.295; Ashrafiyyah

However, if the eyebrows have become so dense that it is unseemly for a woman and incites abhorrence in her husband, it is permissible to trim it to a more appropriate and normal size. refer-Ahsanul Fataawa Vol.8 pg.76; Zakariyya Book Depot

May Allah swt bless us all!
Wassalam.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Salam brother,
u mean they remove it by a laser alternative? from a pro doctor?i heard of it,but its expensive i guess.

it isn't done by laser removal. it is done by matching ink that is similar or the same to your skin complexion. think of it as a form of makeup concealer. it blends back. laser surgery is very painful and expensive. it has been said that it hurts more than the tattoo did.

dianne

wat if some1 has a tatoo n enters ISLAM n it aint reversible..is it still ursed for the ret of his life???

Salam,
What do u mean by the question? Is that he/she already knew that the tatoos haram in Islam or doesnt know? And then he/she enters Islam? Is that what u mean?
Prophet Muhammad specifically said that Allah swt will curse the person who gets or makes tatoos. This is sufficient of a proof to prohibit the practice.
Practising being a muslim he/she should know what is can,cannot,halal or haram.
Recommend he/she keenness on getting your self well-acquainted with Islam and its teachings, and we implore Allah swt to help us serve His cause & render our work for His Sake.
Although tattoos are unlawful or haram to apply at first place, there is nothing wrong for new Muslim converts, who have no means to remove them, in leaving them. The tolerant teachings of Islam & its peaceful spirit makes it easy for new converts to become easily adapted to its unique environment, & matchless life style.
In short, a new Muslim convert cannot be casted out of Islam, after recently embracing it, for having no means to remove tattoos applied during his pre-Islamic life.
The Prophet pbuh is reported to have said, “Islam takes away the sins done before it.”
Thus,if these tattoos cannot be removed easily or if he/she have to spend a lot of $$$ to remove them, then he/she should not worry about them.

May Allah guide us all to the straight path! Allah knows best!

Wassalam.

Ameera

Seeking allah

I am a new Muslim I converted in Cairo this April I took shahada in Al Alzar I had travelled a few roads before finding my way to Islam, I too have tattoos and piercings which I had as part of my life before Islam I would not be able to afford or want to have them removed now I am aware that anything I done to my body before Islam was washed away when I took shahada, the pain and expense would be to extreme to warrant it, I would never as a Muslim have a tattoo or anything else done to me now I am more aware of my spiritual health and well being I have tattoos in places where they cannot be seen unless I choose to show them I chose to cover them with modesty sleeves when needed and I feel no shame for having them . I am not cursed or any other way a bad woman for having them it would be crazy to think that we cant accept people in Islam for the sake of tattoos when we have people who convert with crazy notions in their head of what they can do once they become Muslim...May Allah forgive me if I offend you but I speak only from experience.

:astag:

Ayshia

I have just recently converted to Islam in May of this year, I have tattoos which I got before changing and will not be adding any more since I know now that they are not allowed.

Bottlecap

Thank you for this post, I try and search before I ask a new question, I have a few tattoos that I was wondering about what would be the out come one that.

Again Thanks,

Peace to all

Sunny_Moslima

And FALLOMAR:

Whatever you did before you were a muslim will be forgiven. Like the other brothers and sisters told your here. Ofcourse you will be accepted.
I just wanted to say my husband is converted aswell and He has like over 4 tattoo's. But he's a muslim he wears his camees and prays and does dawa aswell. I think it's so mashAllah to se people like that anyone actually who converted to islam. I remember when I did my shahda I had a tongue piercing, but the whole healed like in 4 days I don't know how becuase I had it for a verry long time over 2 years and Allah knows best.

Wasalaam:hijabi: