Tawakkul/Reliance in Allah

a_brother

Make dua for us all

The principle of Tawakkul and Tawakul

Tawakkul means trust in Allah and acceptance of His divine decree (qada' and qadar) in every aspect of life. Tawakkul means that the believer's heart has faith in the power, wisdom, and justice of Allah, and believes that it is He who is in control of all things.

The tawakkul of the believer stems from his belief in the unseen and the predicates of the unseen world which Allah, the Lord of Heaven and Earth, controls; He alone has knowledge of it.

A Muslim's understanding of tawakkul is a natural and sensitive understanding which represents one of the most important sources of his or her psychological strength and energy; the source from which spring patience, forbearance, determination, contentment and happiness.

verily, the decree, all of it, is Allah's (3:154).

O yes! Decree and creation belong to Him alone (7:54).

Of knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you (17:85).

Nor shall they compass any of His knowledge except as He wills it (2:255).

Your reach is over all things, in Mercy and Knowledge (40:7).

The Muslim's belief in the divine predicates and the methodology of his thought concerning them are that everything will ultimately be for the good, because the true Muslim gives thanks when he is blessed and is patient at the time of trial. Likewise, when he has good fortune in this life, he will be content. And if bad fortune befalls him and he is patient and trusts in Allah, he will find his reward in the Hereafter. The Muslim's belief in the divine predicates is that a Muslim's efforts will ultimately succeed, whatever material successes or failures these efforts may have in this life. It is the belief that ultimately the truth will prevail and the jihad of the Ummah of truth will eventually be victorious; and that falsehood will fail and its supporters will finally be defeated in the conflict between good and evil throughout history, when all shall rise to face Allah.

And We shall try you until We test those among you who strive their utmost and persevere in patience (47:31).

And We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. To Us must you return (21:35).

And those who strive in Our [cause], - We will certainly guide them to Our paths (29:69).

And strive in His cause as you should strive, [with sincerity and under discipline] (22:78).

O believers! If you will aid [the cause of] Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly (47:7).

"I only desire [your] betterment to the best of my power; and my success [in my task] can only come from Allah. In Him I trust and unto Him I turn" (11:88).

An excellent reward for those who do [good]! - those who persevere in patience, and put their trust in their Lord and Cherisher (29:58-59).

But that which is with Allah is better and more lasting for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord (42:36).

And to Him goes back every affair [for decision]: then worship Him, and put your trust in Him (11:123).

An important distinction needs to made here. Tawakkul is not the same as tawakul (fatalistic acceptance). Tawakkul is a Muslim's trust and acceptance of the divine predicates which no one can know, or understand, or control, except Allah. The meaning of tawakul, on the other hand, contains elements of inertia, inability, and general incompetence, for it indicates a refusal to strive in accordance with the laws and standards which Allah has laid down for humankind. The fatalism inherent in the concept of tawakul spells both disobedience to the commandments of Allah and defiance of nature, fitrah. Shortcomings in striving to know and use the appropriate means and to follow the natural laws do not stem from trust in Allah, or tawakkul Rather, finding and using appropriate means are the essence of man's responsibility in this life; it is that by which his will is tested, and it is the purpose of his existence. But tawakul is a corruption of this sort of faith. Hence, when a bedouin who had confused tawakkul for tawakul came to the Prophet and asked about this matter, the Prophet explained it clearly: "Take the appropriate action, then put your trust in Allah."

Following the same principle, 'Umar ibn al Khattab answered those who thought that he was fleeing from the decree of Allah when he refused to enter a land which was infected by the plague. They thought that neglecting to find the correct means, or that failing to work according to the natural laws which Allah had imposed upon the universe was true tawakkul and reliance upon Allah. 'Umar's reply was very clear: "I flee from one decree of Allah to another."

If one becomes infected, that is the decree of Allah; and if one seeks to protect oneself from that infection, that too is the decree of Allah. Everything happens by the will of Allah, and striving to use the appropriate means in accordance with the natural laws also stems from the decree of Allah. It is a way of obeying Him. Certainly, it does not imply kufr, or that one is not relying upon Him.

From this clear distinction between the meanings of tawakkul and tawakul, and in the light of what man's fitrah dictates, and Allah's commands to man to be a khalifah on earth and to manage and care for it, we can easily understand that tawakul is unnatural. Certainly, Islam does not teach it. On the contrary, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Islamic meaning of tawakkul, or with the first Muslims' beliefs. In fact, it contradicts every aspect of the life of the Prophet and his Companions, their jihad, the efforts they expended in accordance with the natural laws, their planning, and their ways of thinking.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/

a_brother

Make dua for us all
On the authority of Abdullah bin Abbas, who said : One day I was behind the prophet and he said to me:

"Young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice] : Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allah; if you seek help, seek help of Allah. Know that if the Nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried."

Narrated by Termithi, who said it is true and fine hadith

In a version other than that of Tirmithi it reads:

"..Be mindful of Allah, you will find Him before you. Get to know Allah in prosperity and He will know you in adversity. Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you; and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by. And know that victory comes with patience, relief with affliction, and ease with hardship."

---------------------------------

video lecture: Al Tawakul - Dr Ibrahim Dremali
http://www.islamictube.net/watch/2664055f36b11fe0cad6/Al-Tawakul---Dr-Ibrahim-Dremali-

a_brother

Make dua for us all
The Meaning of Reliance (Tawakkul) on Allaah

Shaikh Saalih bin Fawzaan Al-Fawzaan
Haqeeqat-ut-Tawakkul ‘alaAllaah (pg. 7-14)
Al-Ibaanah.com​

All praise be to Allaah, Lord of the all that exists, and may Allaah send His peace and praises on His Messenger, our Prophet Muhammad, as well as on all of his family members and Companions, and those who follow his guidance, tread his methodology and adhere to his Sunnah until the Day of Recompense.

To Proceed: Relying on Allaah (tawakkul) is one of the greatest forms of worship. Allaah says: “So upon Allaah, put your trust if you are truly believers.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 23] So He made relying upon Allaah (tawakkul) a condition for Eemaan (Faith).

Allaah said to His Prophet: “So when you have made a decision, then put your trust in Allaah.” [Surah Aali ‘Imraan: 159]

So He ordered His Prophet to put his trust and reliance on Allaah.

Allaah says: “O Prophet! Allaah is sufficient for you and for the believers who follow you.” [Surah Al-Anfaal: 64]

And He says: “And whoever is dutiful to Allaah, He makes a way out for him (from every difficulty). And He will provide for him from places he never could imagine. And whoever puts his trust in Allaah, He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allaah has set a measure for all things.” [Surah At-Talaaq: 2-3]

And He says: “And whoever is dutiful to Allaah, He will make his matter easy for him. That is the Command of Allaah, which He has sent down to you. And whoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will expiate from him his sins and enlarge his reward.” [Surah At-Talaaq: 4-5]

Furthermore, Allaah has linked this reliance (tawakkul) to worship ( ‘ibaadah), as occurs in His statement: “So worship Him and put your trust in Him.” [Surah Hood: 123]

Allaah orders us to put our trust in Him, and He praises those who do it. He also states in many verses of the Qur’aan that He loves those who put their reliance in Him. All of this indicates and shows the importance of putting one’s trust in Allaah.

Relying upon Allaah is from the actions of the heart – so it is an act of worship of the heart. Therefore, putting one’s trust in Allaah is not to be done with one’s limbs and body parts. Rather, it is found in the heart, just like fear (khawf), awe (khashyah), longing (raghbah), dreading (rahbah) and dutifulness (taqwaa) of Allaah – all of these are acts of worship of the heart.

The position of tawakkul (reliance on Allaah) is as some of the scholars have stated: “The position of tawakkul in the Religion is like that of the head on a body.”

So a person that does not have tawakkul does not have Religion, just like a body that has no head. It is well known that if a body is missing its head, it will cease to live. This is the same case with the Religion – if it lacks tawakkul, it lacks correctness – meaning that one will not have a correct religion.

Therefore, relying on Allaah has a great standing amongst the stations of servitude to Allaah. Allaah uses it to distinguish His believing servants from everyone else. So whoever doesn’t put his trust in Allaah at all is a disbeliever. And whoever puts his trust in Allaah and also on others besides Allaah (at the same time) is a polytheist. And as for the one who puts his trust in Allaah alone – he is a monotheistic believer whom Allaah loves and whose actions and statements He is pleased with. This is since he has established his actions and statements upon a correct foundation.

So what is the meaning of this tawakkul (reliance on Allaah), which holds such importance and high position in the Religion?

The Meaning of Reliance (Tawakkul) on Allaah

Tawakkul on Allaah means: Entrusting one’s affairs to Him and relying on Him in all matters. Entrusting one’s affairs to Allaah entails not turning to someone else for support.

So reliance (tawakkul) upon Allaah can be with regard to matters of Creed, such that the servant’s heart does not turn to anyone else besides Allaah. Therefore, he is always putting his reliance in Allaah, entrusting all of his affairs to Him.

The pagans did not fall into polytheism and disbelief except due to the fact that they put their reliance in other than Allaah, entrusted their affairs to other than Him, and believed in their hearts that someone besides Allaah was able to grant their requests, alleviate their worries and repel harms from them. So they relied on statues, idols, trees, stones, graves, shrines and the deceased. They put their trust in created beings to grant them things that only Allaah could do. So they began to ask them for help, offer sacrifices to them, make oaths to them, and direct various forms of worship to them. This is since they have relied on them apart from Allaah, thinking that they have the power to benefit them, harm them or grant their requests. Due to this, when they put their reliance in other than Allaah and directed their beliefs and worship to other than Him, they disbelieved in Him.

The foundation of Shirk is: Entrusting one’s affairs and putting one’s reliance on other than Allaah. This is why Allaah says: “So upon Allaah, put your trust if you are truly believers.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 23]

The scholars say: The object of the verb here “upon Allaah” denotes limitedness. Thus the ayah means: “Put your trust in Allaah alone and not anyone else.” So Allaah has restricted tawakkul to Himself alone apart from others. Upon Allaah” means not upon anyone else. The ayah continues: “…put your trust if you are truly believers.” Allaah has made tawakkul (reliance on Allaah) here a sign of one’s Faith in Him and proof of one’s Tawheed.

As for the one who claims to be a believer and an adherent of Tawheed, but yet then goes on to put his trust in other than Allaah, such as stones, trees, statues, graves, the deceased, and so on, then this person’s claim is false. And he is not a believer since he has entrusted his affairs to someone besides Allaah.

Likewise, one can put his trust in Allaah in order to achieve his worldly needs, such as obtaining provision, preventing an enemy, and repelling harms and dangers from himself.

Therefore, relying upon Allaah can be in religious matters as well as worldly matters. So you should rely on Allaah in your Creed and your Tawheed. And put your trust in Allaah for fulfilling your needs even if your needs are of a worldly nature, such as eating, drinking, clothing and accomplishing some set goals. Put your reliance and trust in Allaah for all matters.

Reliance on Allaah is not limited to just matters of Creed and Tawheed. Rather, it even applies to worldly matters and seeking provision. When it comes to fulfilling any goal, do not rely on anyone besides Allaah. This is since all of the affairs are in the Hand of Allaah. The keys of the heavens and the earth are in His Hand, so we must put our trust and reliance in Him.

All of the needs and objectives of the servants lie in the Hand of Allaah. So how can a person put his trust and reliance in other than Allaah for his religious and worldly matters? No doubt this is from ignorance and turning away from Allaah. Therefore, relying on Allaah is one of the greatest stations of servitude.

Published: April 1, 2006

a_brother

Make dua for us all
The Fruits of Putting one’s Trust in Allaah

Shaikh Saalih Al-Fawzaan
Haqeeqat-ut-Tawakkul (pg. 35-42)
Al-Ibaanah.com​

As for the fruits of putting one’s trust in Allaah (i.e. tawakkul), then they are many. The greatest of them is that Allaah will suffice him in whatever he seeks after. “And whoever puts his trust in Allaah, He will suffice him.” [Surah At-Talaaq: 3]

So whoever relegates his affairs to Allaah, relies on Him alone, and believes that no one can give him good or repel harm from him except Allaah, “He will suffice him.”

This means that Allaah will protect him from all harms since the recompense is based on the action a person does. So when someone puts his trust in Allaah in the correct manner, He rewards him by sufficing him and taking charge of his affairs. Allaah Himself takes charge of this individual’s affairs and does not relegate it to anyone else. This is the greatest fruit of tawakkul (reliance upon Allaah).

Allaah says: “O Prophet, Allaah is sufficient for you.” [Surah Al-Anfaal: 64]

And He says: “And if they intend to deceive you, then verily Allaah is sufficient for you. It is He who supported you with His help and with the believers.” [Surah Al-Anfaal: 62]

So in summary: The greatest fruit of putting one’s trust in Allaah is that Allaah will suffice and take care of whoever relies in Him. This is why Allaah informs us of His Prophet Nooh when he told his people: “If my staying with you and my reminding you of the verses of Allaah are hard on you, then I put my trust in Allaah. So devise your plot – you and your partners – and let not your plot be in doubt for you. Then pass your sentence on me and give me no respite.” [Surah Yoonus: 71]

And He quotes His Prophet Hood as saying: “I am free from that which you ascribe as partners in worship apart from Him. So plot against me – all of you – and give me no respite. I put my trust in Allaah, my Lord and your Lord. There is not a creature that moves (i.e. lives) except that He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on a Straight Path.” [Surah Hood: 54-56]

He quotes His Prophet Shu’aib as saying: “And my guidance is only due to Allaah. In Him I trust and to Him I repent.” [Surah Hood: 88]

And He said to His Prophet Muhammad: “Call your associates and then plot against me and give me no respite. Verily, my Protector is Allaah who has revealed the Book. He is the One who protects the righteous. And those whom you call upon besides Him cannot help you nor can they help themselves.” [Surah Al-A’raaf: 195-197]

Allaah informs us through the statements of these noble messengers that they challenged their people and their false deities to bring harm to them in some way. They did this because they had complete reliance on Allaah. And whoever puts his trust in Allaah, He will be sufficient for him.

Another fruit of relying upon Allaah is that it brings about loves from Allaah, as He says: “Verily, Allaah loves those who put their trust in Him.” [Surah Aali ‘Imraan: 159]

So if someone truthfully puts his trust in Allaah, Allaah will love him. And if Allaah loves this person, he will find success and happiness in this life and the next since he will be from among Allaah’s friends and allies.

Also from the fruits of putting one’s trust in Allaah is that a person will proceed in doing beneficial things and not fear or dread anyone except Allaah. So for example, those who are engaged in Jihaad by way of fighting battles against disbelievers – they only do so because they put their trust in Allaah. So in turn, this reliance on Allaah instills courage and strength into them and as a result, all of the hardships and difficulties that face them become lessened. And they take delight in dying in the Way of Allaah and attaining martyrdom in His Cause. All of this is due to their reliance and trust in Allaah.

Another fruit of putting one’s trust in Allaah is that it encourages one to go out and seek sustenance or to acquire knowledge or to do any of the other beneficial things. The one who puts his trust in Allaah perseveres and puts his heart into seeking after the useful and necessary means of life because he knows that Allaah is with those who rely on Him and that He will aid them. So he perseveres in seeking after all of the beneficial things of this life and the Hereafter and he is not from those who are lazy and weak.

It is for this reason that the Companions were the bravest of people. They genuinely put their trust and reliance in Allaah to the point that they were able to conquer lands in the east and the west. They conquered lands through victory in battle and conquered hearts through calling them to Allaah. All of this was because they put their trust in Allaah and because they relied on Him. Allaah says: “O you who believe, whoever amongst you apostates from his religion, Allaah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him, humble towards the believers and stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Cause of Allaah and never fearing the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allaah which He bestows upon whom He wills. And Allaah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knowing.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 54]

So they didn’t fear for the sake of Allaah the blame of the blamers since they relied on Him to the utmost degree and entrusted their affairs in Him absolutely. They did not turn to anyone else regardless if the people were content or discontent with it, so long as they continued to do what was pleasing to Allaah. It is stated in the hadeeth: “Whoever seeks to please Allaah by (doing something that is) displeasing (to) the people, Allaah becomes pleased with him and makes the people pleased with him. And whoever seeks to please the people by (doing something that is) displeasing (to) Allaah, Allaah becomes displeased with him and makes the people displeased with him.” [1]

So relying upon Allaah, putting one’s trust in Him, and entrusting one’s affairs to Him is the foundation of Tawheed. It is the foundation of actions. And it is the foundation of goodness. This is why Allaah made it a condition of Faith, where He says: “So in Allaah put your trust if you are truly believers.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 23]

There still remains one issue related to this topic, which we would like to discuss, and it is the issue of tawkeel, or delegating authority to someone else. If you entrust someone to obtain something for you, such as buying a product for you or renting something for you or litigating on your behalf, does this mean that you have put your trust in someone other than Allaah? No, this does not mean that. Choosing someone to represent you and act on your behalf is not tawakkul.

Tawakkul means complete reliance and relegation of one’s affairs, which cannot be done except on Allaah.

As for tawkeel, it is when you appoint someone else to obtain something permissible that you are looking for, which he has the ability to obtain. This is one of the allowable means. So hire a representative from the perspective of implementing the means and put your trust in Allaah when obtaining your objective from the perspective of worship. But do not put your trust (tawakkul) in this representative. Instead put your trust in Allaah.

So therefore, commissioning someone else to handle some of your affairs does not violate your creed nor does it mean that you are putting your trust in someone other than Allaah. It is merely working hand in hand with someone towards achieving an objective. Allaah says: “Assist one another in (matters of) piety and righteousness and do not assist one another in sin and transgression.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 2]

So a wakeel (representative) is only there to assist an individual by taking his place and serving as a means to get what he wants. In the same way that him doing something on his own constitutes a means, then likewise, his commissioning a representative to handle his affairs is also a means. And it does not fall under the realm of putting one’s trust in other than Allaah.

In conclusion, I ask Allaah to make us and you from those who put their trust in Allaah in truth – those who implement the required means and rely upon their Lord, those who do not rely on anyone else nor entrust their affairs to anyone else. May Allaah send the peace and praises on our Prophet, Muhammad, his family and all of his Companions.

Footnotes:

[1] Reported by Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh (1/435) and At-Tirmidhee in his Sunan (7/133) in a similar narration, both on the authority of ‘Aa’ishah; Others reported it as well.

Published on: August 5, 2007

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:

:ma::ma:What an amazing post and a beautiful and beneficial read, Alhamdullilah!

Jazakallahu Khairan!:hearts:

Jih4diWoman

asalam alaikum,

MashaAllah, I'm delighted to come across the above posts. JazakAllahu khair..
May Allah love you ~ ameen.

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Waalaikom Asalam wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuh sisters

Waeyakom... ameen to your dua sister Jih4diWowan

------------------------------ a nice example...

THE ROPE

The night fell heavy in the heights of the mountains and the man could not see anything. All was black. Zero visibility, and the moon and the stars were covered by the clouds. As he was climbing only a few feet away from the top of the mountain, he slipped and fell in to the air, falling at great speed. He could only see black spots as he went down, and the terrible sensation of being sucked by gravity.

He kept falling. and in the moments of great fear, it came to his mind all the good and bad episodes of his life. He was thinking now about how close death was getting, when all of a sudden he felt the rope tied to his waist pull him very hard. His body was hanging in the air.

Only the rope was holding him and in that moment of stillness he had no other choice other to scream: "Help me God".

All of a sudden a deep voice coming from the sky answered, "What do you want me to do?"

climber.jpg

"Save me God".

"Do you really think I can save you?"

"Of course I believe You can."

"Then cut the rope tied to your waist."

There was a moment of silence and the man decided to hold on to the rope with all his strength. The rescue team tells that the next day a climber was found dead and frozen. his body hanging from a rope. His hands holding tight to it. Only 1 foot away from the ground.

Conclusion: And We? How attached we are to our rope will we let go??? Don't ever doubt about the words of God. We should never say that He has forgotten us or abandoned us.

http://abdurrahman.org/inspirational/

a_brother

Make dua for us all
An Obligation & Two Honest People
Abu Hurayrah radhiallahu `anhu has said that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam mentioned a man of the Bani Israel saying:

He asked another to lend him a thousand dinars. The lender asked him to bring witnesses but the borrower said, "Allah is sufficient as a witness." The lender asked him to furnish a surety but the borrower again asserted, "Allah is sufficient as a surety." The lender agreed, "You are correct," and lent him money for a specified period.

The debtor went across the sea. When he had finished his work, he looked for a conveyance to take him back for the punctual repayment of his debt, but he did not find any conveyance. So he took a piece of wood and made a hole in it. He inserted in it the one thousand dinars and a letter to the lender and closed the hole tightly.

He took the piece of wood to the sea and said, "O Allah! You know well that I took a loan of one thousand dinars from so-and-so. He demanded a surety from me but I told him that Allah's surety was enough and he accepted Your Guarantee. He then demanded a witness and I told him that Allah was sufficient as a witness. No doubt I have tried much to find a conveyance so that I might pay back his money but could not find one, so I hand this money over to you."

Saying that, he threw the piece of wood into the sea till it went far out into it, and then he went away. Meanwhile he kept looking for a conveyance to take him to the lender's place.

One day, the lender came out of his house to see whether a ship had arrived bringing his money, and all of a sudden, he saw a piece of wood in which was the money. He took it home to use as firewood. When he sawed it, he found his money and the letter inside it.

Shortly after that, the debtor came with a thousand dinars and said, "By Allah! I had been trying to get a boat so I could bring you your money but failed to get one before the one I have come by."

The lender said, "Allah has delivered on your behalf the money you sent in the piece of wood. So you may keep your thousand dinars and go, guided on the right path."

~ Sahih Bukhari