Tazkiyah - Purifying the soul

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:bismillah1:
:salam2:

Br Abu Mussab made a lecture on Tazkiyah, purifying the soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc8pl06bdRk

I did not know this term, so was interested to learn of it. I summarised the lecture with the following points:

Don't confuse Tazkiyah with Sufism. Tazkiyah is from the Sunnah. It means to purify the soul from unbecoming behaviour and to increase it in praiseworthy traits.

*) Avoid showing off, miserliness, self-admiration and feeling secure of Allah's plot
*) Acquire sincerity, fear of Allah, gratitude
*) Observe obligations
*) Increase in voluntary Ibadat
*) Reflect on the Qur'an
*) Repentance - minimum of 6 conditions for Tawbah
*) Seek forgiveness and remember Allah
*) Remember death
*) Assume the worst about yourself
*) Self accountability
*) Reduce sleep, and eating and talking
*) Patience
*) Make Dua - "Allahumma Aati Nafsi Taqwaha, Wa Zakiha Anta Khairu man Zakaaha, Anta waliyuha wa Maulaha"
"O Allah grant my soul its piety and purify it, you are the best to purify it, you are its guardian and master" -Sahih Muslim

And as a footnote, Good friends will point out your mistakes.

I am interested to learn more about Tazkiyah, if anyone can point me in the direction of more materials from the Sunnah, that would be appreciated

:jazaak:

a_stranger

Asalamu alaikim wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuh:

Allah has promised Paradise for the believers, but a condition is that only those can enter who have achieved tazkia and purified their hearts.

Gardens of Eternity beneath which rivers flow…such is the reward of those who purify themselves [of evil] (20:76)

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

... who have achieved tazkia ...
As I understood, Tazkiyah is not an attainable state, but a process which is ongoing. Even if one could remove the negative traits, it is always possible to increase the positive?

Remembering Death, -->> On Death <<---
This link was broken for me, but I found the thread at the foot of the link before.

Jazakallahu khairan for the responses, quotes and links. Some more studying for me there. I noticed there is a subforum titled "Muslim Character and Soul, Tasfiyah & Tarbiyah", much to browse there too.

:jazaak: