Teaching Muslimas to write.

abu_tamim

:salam2:

Unfortunately, we were unable to locate this hadith in al-Mishkat nor in Abu Dawud. However, in the light of what the experts of hadith have ruled, this hadith, ‘Do not teach your women kitabah (writing)’ is classified as very weak. Such a hadith cannot be used to prove anything. (See al-La’ali al-Masnu’ah vol.2 pg.168; al-Kamil of Ibn ‘Adi vol.2 pg.395; Ithaf al-Maharah of Ibn Hajar vol.17 pg.344 and Imdad al-Ahkam vol.1 pg.214-215)

Hence, it’s contradiction of the second hadith quoted by yourself will not be taken into consideration.

On the contrary, Imams Abu Dawud and Hakim (may Allah have mercy on them) have recorded the following narration on the authority of Sayyidatuna al-Shifa bint ‘Abdillah (may Allah be pleased with her) that she said, ‘The Messenger of Allah visited Sayyidatuna Hafsah (may Allah be pleased with her) and I was with her. So the Messenger of Allah asked me, ‘Why don’t you teach her the treatment for namlah (an ulcer on the forehead) just as you have taught her to write.’ (Sunan Abi Dawud hadith 3883; Mustadrak al-Hakim vol.4 pg.56-57)

Imams Hakim and Dhahabi (may Allah have mercy on them) have classified this narration as sahih (authentic) according to the standard of Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim (may Allah have mercy on them). (Ibid)

‘Allamah Khattabi and Hafiz Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on them) have stated that this hadith proves the permissibility of teaching women to write.
(Ma’alim al-Sunan vol.4 pg.210; Zad al-Ma’ad vol.4 pg.170)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Require Solid Knowledge Too!

:bismillah:

Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said,
"There are five things which bring salvation:
(1) a worthy wife;
(2) a well-behaved son;
(3) a well-behaved daughter;
(4) a good companion to help for one's daily bread;
and
(5) friendship with the descendants of Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw).

The Prophet Muhammad s.a.w
teached Saidatina Ayiisha to read and write
and that after the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w passed away
his wife helped to solved many of the public's problem because of
what she learned from Prophet Muhammad s.a.w
:ma:
In other words,
If women were so gullible and have no knowledge, it really is a disadvantage to the society.
Women has to make contributions too.

We rock the cradle

We teach the young ones the basic of learning
and living right at their young age,

and if we were to be uneducated
not many male will grow up to

face the future bright and

be a good leader of the world!
:astag:

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Take care!
~Wassalam :)

Precious Star

Why is this even an issue? Literacy is a human right, regardless of whether you are a man or a woman.

The first word that was revealed by the Angel Gibreel to the Prophet was "Read".

The second word that was revealed was "Read".

Please, even the IDEA that teaching a woman to read is unIslamic, is in itself unIslamic. Trouble yourself with more pressing concerns regarding Islam and how it is practiced.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Why is this even an issue? Literacy is a human right, regardless of whether you are a man or a woman.

The first word that was revealed by the Angel Gibreel to the Prophet was "Read".

Please, even the IDEA that teaching a woman to read is unIslamic, is in itself unIslamic. Trouble yourself with more pressing concerns regarding Islam and how it is practiced.

Agreed. Being able to read is not only a basic human right, it is also absolutely necessary to function in society.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:bismillah:

Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said,
"There are five things which bring salvation:
(1) a worthy wife;
(2) a well-behaved son;
(3) a well-behaved daughter;
(4) a good companion to help for one's daily bread;
and
(5) friendship with the descendants of Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw).

~Wassalam :)

:wasalam:

sister, can u pls tell the source of this hadith? jazaak Allah khair in advance

abu_tamim

Jazakallah for your opinion. Believe it or not, there are still people who don't see any need for educating their daughters. The following is a post from another forum on the same topic:
"Unfortunately in these days more and more jobs require some level of education, even many blue collar jobs require some technical training and education. So men can be excused for acquiring this education, but is there a need for women to also acquire secular education? I see no evidence of any need for women to be educated even in this day and age."

ShyHijabi

Jazakallah for your opinion. Believe it or not, there are still people who don't see any need for educating their daughters. The following is a post from another forum on the same topic:
"Unfortunately in these days more and more jobs require some level of education, even many blue collar jobs require some technical training and education. So men can be excused for acquiring this education, but is there a need for women to also acquire secular education? I see no evidence of any need for women to be educated even in this day and age."

So who will treat your wives and daughters medically? (I would ask this person) Verily Prophet Mohammed's (peace be upon him) most beloved wife, Kadijah, was very educated and ran her own business. I never understand why any man would desire to purposely keep their wives and daughters ignorant. It completely defies reason.

abu_tamim

So who will treat your wives and daughters medically? (I would ask this person) Verily Prophet Mohammed's (peace be upon him) most beloved wife, Kadijah, was very educated and ran her own business. I never understand why any man would desire to purposely keep their wives and daughters ignorant. It completely defies reason.

That is exactly the question that I asked him: whether women should be allowed to learn Obstetrics and Medicine or not. He said that he did not know what Obstetrics was but that only that number of women should be allowed to know medicine who could attend to the female population.

ShyHijabi

Interesting, since woman make up 49% of the world's population. I wonder what the "proper" number would be for him? And how does one choose these women? When all else fails I tell them to produce daleel specifically stating women shouldn't be taught equal education, Islam is wonderful in that if it is not explicitly forbidden that we CANNOT forbid it.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

Interesting, since woman make up 49% of the world's population. I wonder what the "proper" number would be for him? And how does one choose these women? When all else fails I tell them to produce daleel specifically stating women shouldn't be taught equal education, Islam is wonderful in that if it is not explicitly forbidden that we CANNOT forbid it.

Only 49%? I was thinking it was over 50%, like 55% or so.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I think this is going to give me a stroke.

I am going to collect myself. I am going to lose it. I know I will be banned because I can feel my blood pressure.

It is simple: I would tell the brother you have no rights over me. Who put you in charge of my mind?

Ain't nothing in the Quran that says I can not seek knowledge.

I am going to go and chill...pray for me...I am about to lose it.

abu_tamim

Sometimes people hide behind the name of Islam to practise their prejudices.

ShyHijabi

Only 49%? I was thinking it was over 50%, like 55% or so.

That used to be the numbers but practices in China and India (aborting, killing and abandoning infant females) have altered those numbers. Right now there are hundreds of thousands of Chinese males with no female counterpart.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
That used to be the numbers but practices in China and India (aborting, killing and abandoning infant females) have altered those numbers. Right now there are hundreds of thousands of Chinese males with no female counterpart.

I have read a few articles about this. That does not bode well for China's social and political future when those men grow older and more unhappy with no prospects for marriage or a family. I have also read that the Chinese government has been talking about repealing the "one child only" policy to counteract this. But even if they did so today, it would still take 20 years or so for the situation to sort itself out.

rightpath_357

Assalaam walaikum,

I think this is going to give me a stroke.

I am going to collect myself. I am going to lose it. I know I will be banned because I can feel my blood pressure.

It is simple: I would tell the brother you have no rights over me. Who put you in charge of my mind?

Ain't nothing in the Quran that says I can not seek knowledge.

I am going to go and chill...pray for me...I am about to lose it.

Ditto Aapa

I swear, it actually makes me SO angry when I read rubbish like that. Don't educate your women? WHERE do people get these ideas?! Allah (SW) have given men certain rights and women certain rights. Allah (SW) did NOT, and I repeat, NOT give man the right to take away rights from women!

Women contribute to society, and not just by being mothers and taking care of the house. They have the right to learn and be anything they wish except for few things Islamically ruled out. It's utterly repulsive how so many people twist the words of Islam to make them sound like women have very little rights due to "modesty". Modesty is a beautiful, Islamic thing that is to be stressed upon BOTH men and women. It should NOT be a barrier that prevents women from going out and educating themselves. :angryblue: :angryblue: :angryblue:

To aid that, the Prophet has stressed many, many times how seeking knowledge is important.

Salam :muslim_child:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

I have chilled out. I got a good laugh with a sister. In my neck of the woods we would simply say : yo momma.

On a more serious level it saddens me that the religion of liberation for women is being subjected to this low level of insecurity. Only an insecure man could want a wife to be illiterate. I ask what is that you fear? Souls are not defined by sex. I repeat what is that they fear?

I know the answer and out of humility I will not write it.

abu_tamim

Ditto Aapa

I swear, it actually makes me SO angry when I read rubbish like that. Don't educate your women? WHERE do people get these ideas?! Allah (SW) have given men certain rights and women certain rights. Allah (SW) did NOT, and I repeat, NOT give man the right to take away rights from women!

Women contribute to society, and not just by being mothers and taking care of the house. They have the right to learn and be anything they wish except for few things Islamically ruled out. It's utterly repulsive how so many people twist the words of Islam to make them sound like women have very little rights due to "modesty". Modesty is a beautiful, Islamic thing that is to be stressed upon BOTH men and women. It should NOT be a barrier that prevents women from going out and educating themselves. :angryblue: :angryblue: :angryblue:

To aid that, the Prophet has stressed many, many times how seeking knowledge is important.

Salam :muslim_child:

Salamu alaikum

:shake:

ShyHijabi

I have read a few articles about this. That does not bode well for China's social and political future when those men grow older and more unhappy with no prospects for marriage or a family. I have also read that the Chinese government has been talking about repealing the "one child only" policy to counteract this. But even if they did so today, it would still take 20 years or so for the situation to sort itself out.

There is no easy answer since population control must be done in China or they will starve to death in less than 5 years otherwise. People don't realize that China is the most populated country but only a 1/3 of the land can grow food. The Chinese government is trying to convince the populace that females are just as valuable as males but the old cultural practices are very hard to reverse.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
There is no easy answer since population control must be done in China or they will starve to death in less than 5 years otherwise. People don't realize that China is the most populated country but only a 1/3 of the land can grow food. The Chinese government is trying to convince the populace that females are just as valuable as males but the old cultural practices are very hard to reverse.

Old habits always die hard. At least that's been my own experience.