Teaching non muslims

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
BISMILLAHI RAHMANIR RAHEEM
As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu brothers and sisters
I am going to teach english and some other languages out here to some people (non muslims) . Everything has been agreed on and they have also told me how much they would pay. But I have a notion that I think I should sign some kind of agreement with them so that they dont opt out after few months. I think if I get into a contract with them that I would teach for a year or so, I think that will be more better.I have never been into this situation and Alhamdulillah I think thats a sunnah to have agreements in written form.As far as I remember thats also mentioned in the Quran to have agreements in written form and have witness (although i forgot which Surah or Ayah, Aazobillahi minas shaitanir razeem). Our beloved Prophet Muhammed (peace and blessings be upon him) did business dealings with jews and christians and as far as I know he always had some kind of agreement with them, so that they dont break it.
I hope any brothers or sisters can advise me a bit.How should I go about in the matter? what kind of points should I emphasize on the contract? How should it look like islamically?
Jazakumullah khair
ALLAHU ALIM
walaikum as salam wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu

allmuslimsrequal

Absolutely get everything in writing. You are providing a service and people are paying for that service. You should write out a basic contract, explaining in full detail the serivice you will be providing, and what the costs and length of service will entail.

You should also include in your contract what will happen under certain circumstances- such as a person paying in full and then wanting to leave your lessons prematurely. If you want to give no refunds- make sure it is very specific in your contract that there will be no refunds under any circumstance.
You have the full right to say under which special situations you would give a refund, if that is what you would like to do.

I would not have any oral contracts or agreements.
It is not unfair in business. Good luck to you.

Salaamalikum

I agree you need to set up a contract system, but it is not easy. Different countries, different states have different contract laws. You need to be aware of this, and do research and homework on contract law

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
I agree you need to set up a contract system, but it is not easy. Different countries, different states have different contract laws. You need to be aware of this, and do research and homework on contract law

But it will be just between me and the persons,whom I am going to teach.Its not an institution but just teaching at home. Also there will be witnesses, who will sign my agreement. So is there any kind of official documents, I mean through lawmakers or advocates or simply I can prepare the documents in my own terms and seek the approval of the persons whom I am going to teach.
Barakallahu feek...