teaching your son to pray?

aisha-uk

Salam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuhu

i have a question for u all.. i have read that a mother can't teach her son to pray, as he's a male and needs to lead the prayer.. Now what if the father is either not practising or not around (divorced or past away)? What is the mother suppose to do then?

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum sister !

Assalamu-alaikum sister,
noone who knows anything about this topic?
First of all I am sorry that any of us didn't reply to this important issue and secondly I ask you to give me some time and inshaAllah I will try to find an answer with proofs.
I think what you are asking is teaching him how to pray by telling him how to do it rather than leading him in prayer.
Till I provide the proofs my personal view is that there should be no harm in teaching your son how to pray particularly when he is not an adult (Islamically).

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

:salam2:

Here is what I have found,

It is reported by Imam Ahmad, Abu Dawud, and others on the authority of Umm Waraqah, who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) appointed a muezzin for her, and ordered her to lead the members of her household (who included both men and women) in Prayer.

Though scholars of Hadith also regard the chain of reporters of this hadith as weak, yet it has to do with a special case in which a woman well-versed in the Qur’an led the members of her family in Prayer where usually would be no place for arousing instincts among them.

Furthermore, Ad-Darqatani reported that the order the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) gave to Umm Waraqah here was that she lead the women among her household in Prayer.

Commenting on this report of Ad-Darqatani, Ibn Qudamah said in his book Al-Mughni, “This addition of Ad-Darqatani must be accepted even if it had not been mentioned pointblank in the hadith in question. It is to be logically deduced from the hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered Umm Waraqah to lead the women of her household in obligatory Prayer, for (according to the hadith) he (peace and blessings be upon him) appointed her a muezzin, and the Adhan is practiced only in the obligatory Prayer; besides, there is no scholarly disagreement regarding it being impermissible for women to lead men in obligatory Prayers.”

Ibn Qudamah then said, “Even had Umm Waraqah been ordered to lead both men and women of her household in Prayer, this would have been peculiar to her, for no other woman was appointed a muezzin (by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him) as was the case with her, and hence, it would have followed from this that leading men of her household in Prayer had been peculiar to her.”

Ibn Qudamah, moreover, supported his view by saying that since women are not permitted to call the Adhan for Prayer for men, they are also not allowed to lead them in Prayer.

But I do not agree with Ibn Qudamah that it is probable that the permission given to Umm Waraqah to lead her household, including men, in Prayer was peculiar to her. I believe that any woman well-versed in the Qur’an like Umm Waraqah may lead her family members, including men, in both obligatory and supererogatory Prayers, especially the Tarawih Prayers.

There is a dependable opinion in the Hanbali School of jurisprudence that says that women can lead men in the Tarawih Prayers.

Az-Zarkashei said in this respect, “According to Imam Ahmad and the majority of his followers, it is permissible for women to lead men in the Tarawih Prayers.”

This has been also reported by Ibn Hubairah to have been held by Imam Ahmad. (Al-Ifsah `an Ma`ani As-Sihah, vol. 1, p. 145.)

But it is to be kept in mind that this applies only to women who are well-versed in the Qur’an when it comes to leading their household and relatives in Prayer. Moreover, some scholars see that this is confined to women who are advanced in age.

habib786

i think a mother can definately teach her infant to pray... i have no hadith or Q'uaranic statement to back it up .. but i see no harm mother teaching her young son to pray ... and under the situations you have mentioned sister aisha its very much justified .... for some people situations can also be more bad than those u mentioned ..so someone has to take up the responsibility till the son attains some understanding level and can move out to learn more about islam ..... hope i could be of lil help to you....
Allah hafiz

if the son is not older then 8 or 10 years, a mother can show the basic things, because the basic actions are sasme. ANd if he nearly 8 or 10 then its better to send hi in mosque and learn under a scholar.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Salam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuhu

i have a question for u all.. i have read that a mother can't teach her son to pray, as he's a male and needs to lead the prayer.. Now what if the father is either not practising or not around (divorced or past away)? What is the mother suppose to do then?

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Where is the evidence that says a child can not be taught by his mother to pray?

For a woman to lead the prayer infront of men, is another issue.

You can still teach your children to do wudhu, to pray and Islamic things. There is no harm in that.

He can watch and copy you and see how you pray. How old is he? If he is young child, e.g. below 10, for whom the prayer is not obligatory, it is OKay for him to pray near you and learn and see how you pray by copying.

You can also give him time to teach him correct way to pray. InshaAllah, he will soon be doing Adhaan and leading the prayers in the home! It is not necessary for you to lead the prayer and him pray behind you.

There is no age limit or gender limit on teaching! Women can teach their children Islam, Maths or how to drive!! There is nothing wrong with that.

My mother taught me Quran, how to pray and many things. - This idea that women can not teach boys or men, even from their own family is not Islamic at all. We must deal with original Islamic teachings, based on Quran and Sunnah, rather than any cultural ideas.

wasalamu alaykum

aisha-uk

Salam Alaikum brothers

here is the fatwah i got it from:

A boy leading a woman in prayer and vice versa

Question:
can my 7yr old lead me in salaah? can i lead him in salaah being his mother? note:he learnt how to pray by copying me and following me in salaah

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is OK for a boy who understands the prayer to lead others in prayer, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “People should be led in prayer by the one who knows the most Qur’aan among them.” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 1078). And it was narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari that ‘Amr ibn Salamah al-Jarami said: “My father came from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said that he had heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘When the time for prayer comes, let the one among you who knows the most Qur’aan lead you in prayer.’ They looked and they did not find anyone who knew more Qur’aan than me, so they made me lead them in prayer, and I was a boy of six or seven years.” (al-Maghaazi, 3963. See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 7/389-390)

The evidence to be found in the hadeeth is that these Sahaabah asked ‘Amr ibn Salamah to lead them in prayer when he was six or seven years old. This indicates that a boy who has reached the age of discernment can lead the prayers. If that were not permitted, there would have been Revelation to say that it was not allowed. (Ahkaam al-Imaamah wa’l-I’timaam fi’l-Salaah by ‘Abd al-Muhsin al-Muneef).

If your son fulfils all the conditions and obligations of the prayer, then there is nothing wrong with him leading you.

With regard to a woman leading a boy in prayer, this is not permissible, because he comes under the same rulings as a man. What is permitted is for a woman to lead other women in prayer, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded Umm Waraqah bint ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Nawfal to lead the members of her household – i.e., the women – in prayer. (Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Salaah, Imaamat al-Nisaa’, 500, Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood, 553).

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid