The Afghan People Prefer To Live Under The Taliban

Samandar

:salam2:

i found this. i hope it will change at least some of your views :)
Porak, Afghanistan – After a gang of bandits continuously terrorized the district of Porak last month, the villagers could not stand it any longer.

"We complained several times to the government and even showed them where the thieves lived," Ahmad, a local resident said.

But those bandits are still operating freely. So the resident of Porak began to turn to the Taliban to raise their complaints. In no time Taliban fighters showed up. They tried and convicted the gangsters and threatened harsher punishments should they be caught stealing again. The bandits have not showed up since then.

In the provinces around Kabul, the government are considered to be as almost non-existent or as having disappeared already, a local resident said. In this area the Taliban is more effective, the shadow government of Taliban have already spread and the local people are supporting them.

"So people turned to the Taliban," Abdel Qabir, who works with an international NGO, said.

Days after the 9/11 attacks, the US invaded Afghanistan to topple the ruling Taliban regime. Despite the deployment of 64,000 foreign troops under US and NATO command, violence has soar over the past years. A high-profile US intelligence report has concluded earlier this month that Afghanistan is on a "downward spiral" due to rising violence and official corruption.

Parallel Governments

Taliban now has a strong presence in all seven of Logar's districts, and they openly rule in four of them. In neighboring Ghazni province, Taliban is in full control of 13 of its 18 districts. In Wardak, which neighbors Kabul, it controls of six of the eight districts.

"The police are just for show," says one local. "The Taliban are the real power here."

A recent report by the Senlis Council think-tank said that Taliban, which ruled from 1996 to 2001, has now permanent presence in more than half of Afghanistan.

"This is a major problem for them [government]," says Habibullah Rafeh, a political analyst with the Afghanistan Academy of Sciences.

"Even though the Taliban can't capture Kabul militarily because of the strength of the international forces there, the government can't stop them from operating freely just outside of the city."

In areas under its control, Taliban has set governments complete with police chiefs and education and judicial committees.

"We prefer these courts to the government courts," says Fazel Wali, an NGO worker in Ghazni. He noted that Taliban courts have a reputation of working much faster than government ones, which are ridden with corruption.

"At least we have security and justice," contends Abdul Halim, a local in Ghazni province is a Taliban supporter.

"They may not provide jobs, but at least they share the same culture and brought security," agrees Qabir, the Logar resident.

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: Jazak Allahu Khair for this interesting article :) One doesn't hear many positive things about Taliban in mainstream media. I would like to understand better what is really happening in Afghanistan and to get points of view from people that live there as this is most important. It is easy for people on the outside to cast judgement but what do we really know?! One thing I did learn that also is positive regarding Taliban is that when they were in charge, the heroin trade from Afghanistan was at an all time low. The Taliban was against the production of this lethal drug even though the bulk was destined for non-Afghani and non-Muslim westerners. USA invaded Afghanistan just in time for the opium poppy harvest and the deadly and highly addictive drug began to flourish more than ever in the West.... things that make you go "hmmmm"......
:wasalam:

yusuf_pal

The truth about Taliban

As-Salaam Alaikum wa rahmatullah

:salam2: Jazak Allahu Khair for this interesting article :) One doesn't hear many positive things about Taliban in mainstream media. I would like to understand better what is really happening in Afghanistan and to get points of view from people that live there as this is most important. It is easy for people on the outside to cast judgement but what do we really know?! One thing I did learn that also is positive regarding Taliban is that when they were in charge, the heroin trade from Afghanistan was at an all time low. The Taliban was against the production of this lethal drug even though the bulk was destined for non-Afghani and non-Muslim westerners. USA invaded Afghanistan just in time for the opium poppy harvest and the deadly and highly addictive drug began to flourish more than ever in the West.... things that make you go "hmmmm"......

[yt]n3Z10H6gNq8[/yt]

Skywalker

Taliban's drug eradication program led to a 94 percent decline in opium cultivation. In 2001, according to UN figures, opium production had fallen to 185 tons. Immediately following the October 2001 US led invasion, production increased dramatically, regaining its historical levels.

The Vienna based UN Office on Drugs and Crime estimates that the 2006 harvest will be of the order of 6,100 tonnes, 33 times its production levels in 2001 under the Taliban government (3200 % increase in 5 years).

Cultivation in 2006 reached a record 165,000 hectares compared with 104,000 in 2005 and 7,606 in 2001 under the Taliban.

The UN estimates that for 2006, the contribution of the drug trade to the Afghan economy is of the order of 2.7 billion. What it fails to mention is the fact that more than 95 percent of the revenues generated by this lucrative contraband accrues to business syndicates, organized crime and banking and financial institutions. A very small percentage accrues to farmers and traders in the producing country.

Well the stats are a little old but the trend is same.

The question is why did the Taliban rose to power?
If you know the answer then you know why they are rising again.

P.S- I am not justifying the Taliban Rule.

AlQurtubi

Banned
This Pak-Afghan region is of too much importance in future. Muslims renaissance is going to start from here for the second time. First time, when we rose, they were Arabs who did it. This time they will be Afghans( pathan, afghanis etc).

Samandar

sister, its good to know that your view is slowly changing and the drug thing makes sense! they thought no one will know. but harvesting the plant is one of the ways the poor make money. i dont blame them though. thats one way to live and provide for their families. i do hope this thing drug thing will dissapear though.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
People are making a big mistake when they think that Afghan people have only two options: Occupation or Taliban.

This is a faulty conception. Afghan people need none of them and they can do much better.

Taliban were the production of the same invaders to fascilitate an excuse for the invasion.

Bear in mind that the current resistance to the occupation in Afghanistan is not just by Taliban. This is just a name used by all sides, one to justify their occupation and the other to gain popularity.

The resistance to occupation is civilian and by the general Afghan population.
They saw that the occupiers have brought destruction and misery and death of innocent people to their country and they stood up.

Inshallah, the occupiers will have to leave soon, but the people of Afghanistan deserve much better than Taliban.

Afghanistan is a historic country and an ancient civilisation. We know how to live as a civilised nation.

Please open your eyes and look beyond the last 15 year history.

Wassalamu alaikum

AlQurtubi

Banned
Brother Bawar, we all know that afgh. is an ancient civilization but it doesnt mean that people dont want taliban. Their era was most peacefull era after a long time in afghanistan. Doesnt matter if there was pakistan army supporting them. They brough peace. I dont know why have you made such statement?

We beleive in news from CNN,fox, BBC AGAINST taliban but when someone is trying to show their positive side, we just dont want to hear.

Why is that so?