The Anxiety and Sorrow of Abu Umamah

Hassana

The story follows:

From Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri (May Aallah be pleased with him) who narrated that: "The Prophet (may Allah blessings be upon him) entered into the Mosque one day and found therein a man among the Ansar (the helpers of Islam) by the name Abu Umamah and he (the prophet) asked him: 'O Abu Umamah, why do I see you sitting down in the Mosque when it is not prayer time?'. He (Abu Umamah) replied: 'O prophet of Allah, I have been inflicted with anxieties and burden of debts'. Then the prophet (SAW) said: "shall I teach you a statement, when you say it, Allah will relieve you of your anxieties and settle for you your debts?', he (Abu umamah) said: 'O yes the prophet of Allah'. He (the prophet) said: 'when you wake up either in the morning or in the evening, say 'O Allah , I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and being overpowered by men'. Abu Umamah said that 'I did all this recommendation of the prophet and Allah eased me of my anxieties and burden of debt.'" (Collected by Abu Dawud)

Lessons

1. It is important to note the good leadership characteristics demonstrated by the Prophet of Allah (SAW) in this incidence. As the leader and guide of the society, he was sensitive to the needs of his subject. He perhaps have noticed the constant and persistent presence of Abu umamah in the Mosque (and of course, he was not among the Ahlus suffah) outside the salat times. He needed to know the reason, so that he can offer him adequate advise and way out of his problem. We as the Imam, father of the house or leaders in various respect, are we sensitive to the psycological and emotional needs of our subjects? Sometimes they do not necessarily need to voice out their problem before we notice it for them.

2. It is permissible to stay in the mosque outside the salaat hours either engaging in the dhikr of Allah, short seclusion or learning. The situation indicated in this hadith showed that the frequency of Abu Umamah and his longer staying in the mosque after the salat time was unusual as a companion well known to the Prophet (SAW). So, the prophet (SAW) needed to know what is responsible for this as a caring leader.

3. When we are burdened with anxieties or worries, the best thing to do is to seek the presence of Allah, the Almighty. That was what Abu umamah demonstrated in this hadith. He decided to stay in the Mosque, as the house of Allah will offer him the require psychological relief, tranquility and serenity of mind. Thinking of the magnificence presence of Allah, His infinite mercy and unlimited ability to help His servant is enough to burn away our sorrows and anxieties. Albeit today, when people are psychologically down or are worried with wordly matters or sorrowful things happen to them, they indulge in some past times, drinking or smoking; thinking that these will take away their sorrows. But the reality is ... "... those who have believed and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest!"

4. The approach to solution offered by the prophet was great. Abu Umamah only mentioned just two problems but the prophet of mercy (blessings of Allah be upon him) gave him solutions beyond his request that capable of solving the present problem and all yet nonforseeing problems.