The Benefits of Honey

Abu Juwairiya

"Brushing one's teeth with pure honey whitens them, and when used as mouthwash, it strengthens the gums and eliminates gum disease." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 65, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey regulates abnormal rhythm of the heart, supplies energy to the heart muscle and improves peripheral circulation." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 81, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey is a constituent of many cough-mixtures. It is also used for sore throat, bronchial catarrh and the common cold. It brings relief to sufferers from hay fever and asthma as well." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 68, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

Honey has several colours and odours; it smells like roses in the garden, flowers and basil and even jasmine. The colours range from pure white, red or yellow. (Source: summarized from 'Birds and Animals mentioned in the Qur'an' by Nour Jaffala, P 31, 2000)

Abu Juwairiya

"[Bees] store the nectar in their own honey stomachs, where the process of converting it into honey begins, and finally depositing it into honey cells where the moisture content is gradually reduced through evaporation." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 20, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"In the honey season field bees do not live for more than six weeks; they virtually work themselves to death." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 20, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey may be used on its own as topping for desserts. But honey sauce is great for desserts and puddings. It is simple to prepare." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 100, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Indeed honey has great nutritional and therapeutics value; it is the drink of drinks, a sweetener of sweeteners, and an ointment of ointments." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 48, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey is a much better and superior substitute [to chocolate and sweets]. It is easily assimilated into the system. It is wholly digestible and provides instant energy." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 48, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey is made up of 95% sugars which are classified according to the complexity of their molecules. They are simple sugars called monosaccharides, like fructose and glucose; and complex types called disaccharides, like sucrose and maltose.

[The] bulk of honey contains fructose and glucose which are responsible for its sweetness and energy-giving characteristic." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 34, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"To convert nectar to honey, worker bees fan their wings to create a draft necessary for evaporating the moisture from the nectar. When the required consistency is reached, they seal all the cells with wax clippings. Wax clippings is a sure sign that the honey is ripe. But it does not mean that the honey in an open or unsealed cell is immature. If about 75% of all cells are sealed in the honeycomb, one may safely conclude that the rest is matured." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 34, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey may be kept or stored indefinitely. With the passage of time, the sugar composition changes because of the presence of enzymes in the honey. This is an improvement in the honey.

After long periods honey becomes darker and the flavour stronger. This too, is an improvement in the quality of honey. Because of its colour and flavour, it is ideal for baking in the home." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 40, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey is an excellent emollient. It keeps the skin soft, healthy and supple.

Honey with or without beeswax is used in the preparation of a variety of skin lotions, creams, masks, packs and tonics for softening, cleansing, nourishing and restoring the skin.

Because of its antiseptic properties, it draws blemishes to the surface and dissipates them.

It tightens the skin, preventing wrinkles and providing a simple method of beauty treatment at home." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 93, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

"Honey can be used as a sedative without any side effects." (Source: Honey....Real Food & Medicine by Dr I. Keela and R. Lasania, P 48, 2009)

Abu Juwairiya

Honey dates back for 150 million years, and it’s written about in hieroglyphics.

Egyptians would use honey as a form of payment, like the Aztecs used cocoa beans.

Abu Juwairiya

Apitherapy is the medical use of honey bee products, which includes honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly, and bee venom.

The American Apitherapy Society states that bee venom is beneficial for a variety of problems such as eczema, psoriasis, warts, laryngitis, emphysema, asthma, and glaucoma.

Abu Juwairiya

Historically, honey was used as a salve, either alone or mixed with fat. Because of its antibiotic properties and high sugar content, it was said to heal dead tissues and ulcers. Honey was often used to treat gun shot wounds not only because of its bactericidal properties, but also because the consistency prohibited air and irritants from entering the wound, and in many cases it was more accessible than other forms of treatment. Honey has even been used in hospitals as a dressing for wounds, burns, and cuts.